Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

yeah seen that years ago.....very good...though my fav Hitchcock movies are ones with the beautiful women like Grace Kelly and Hedren...real easy on the eyes and of course his story lines and not to be sneezed at either.

Grace Kelly's in Dial M. And yeah she was gorgeous.

Haven't seen that for a good few years, but a good little chiller, Spoons...I think you'll enjoy it.

If you want a good horror, perhaps in the traditional sense, then I recommend the original 1963 version of The Haunting, if you haven't seen it already. Showed a sequence from this a few weeks ago, when lecturing about the use of sound, and it went down well with the students.

good to see ya Hammer Michael....Haunting eh? will check it out...

can you recommend the best horror movies in your opinion?
now I will say I hate the cut em up movies like Saw and such.....was thinking more like the Exorcist type if that makes any sense to you....

now I will say I hate the cut em up movies like Saw and such.....was thinking more like the Exorcist type if that makes any sense to you....

Hi RD!

Thing is with Horror (and Comedy, thinking about it) is that is perhaps the most subjective of genres. What scares one person leaves someone else unaffected. I really rated [REC], a recent Spanish horror, but a few well-viewed members on the forum went the opposite way and hated it.

But, off the top of my head, the following are amongst my favourites for a variety of reasons:

Night of the Living Dead
Halloween
The Haunting
Ju-on
(orginal Japanese Grudge)
Dead of Night (1946 British horror)
Scream
Cat People
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
(original)
Les Diaboliques (1955 French horror, influential on Hitchcock)

When I think of some more (rather than the cigarettes I'm trying to give up at the moment) I'll let you know!

I have yet to watch a movie that has genuinely scared me

apart from that time i was coked off my tits watching 8mm for the first time

Some movies have watched recently that my 19 year old sister-in-law gets on pirate DVD; How to Lose Friends & Alienate People - quite amusing and funny in parts which Simon Pegg does very well at doing;
Babylon AD - has Vin Diesel in it looking old and has a croaky deep voice and I have no idea what the feck it was about apart from it was shite;
Max Payne - as above with Mark Wahlberg and he hasn't got a deep voice, a bag of wank;

Born on the Fourth of July - 9.5/10

Saw it again on Blu Ray, fantastic performance by Tom Cruise, arguably his finest. Amazing score as well, some of the scenes made me emotional. Shame he lost out on the Oscar to Daniel Day-Lewis who also put in the best performance of his life that year.

Secret Window...2004 Johnny Depp movie...can't go wrong with him...but still it will depend on the individual.
I rate Depp occasionally but Secret Window was poor.

I love Hitchcock. Dial M for Murder's probably my fav AH film.
Really? Hitchcock is ace, but I much prefer Rear Window, Vertigo and maybe Rope as well.

I seldomly watch thrillers but I suppose A Tale of Two Sisters must be one of the best I've seen. (And maybe one of the latest, which perhaps says something about how frequently I seek this genre.)

Hi RD!

Thing is with Horror (and Comedy, thinking about it) is that is perhaps the most subjective of genres. What scares one person leaves someone else unaffected. I really rated [REC], a recent Spanish horror, but a few well-viewed members on the forum went the opposite way and hated it.

But, off the top of my head, the following are amongst my favourites for a variety of reasons:

Night of the Living Dead
Halloween
The Haunting
Ju-on
(orginal Japanese Grudge)
Dead of Night (1946 British horror)
Scream
Cat People
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
(original)
Les Diaboliques (1955 French horror, influential on Hitchcock)

When I think of some more (rather than the cigarettes I'm trying to give up at the moment) I'll let you know!

They're all good(I've not seen Cat People), but Ju-On was awful. The remake was even worse.

Haven't seen that for a good few years, but a good little chiller, Spoons...I think you'll enjoy it.

If you want a good horror, perhaps in the traditional sense, then I recommend the original 1963 version of The Haunting, if you haven't seen it already. Showed a sequence from this a few weeks ago, when lecturing about the use of sound, and it went down well with the students.

I've seen The Haunting.

I rate Depp occasionally but Secret Window was poor.

Really? Hitchcock is ace, but I much prefer Rear Window, Vertigo and maybe Rope as well.

I seldomly watch thrillers but I suppose A Tale of Two Sisters must be one of the best I've seen. (And maybe one of the latest, which perhaps says something about how frequently I seek this genre.)

A Tale of Two Sisters is great. My fav psychological thriller is probably Rosemary's Baby. As for Hitchock, I liked the ones you've mentioned. As I said Dial M's my fav, but Rebecca and The 39 Steps aren't far behind.

some horrors/chillers/thrillers that I loved.

Rosemary's Baby
Jacob's Ladder
The Tenant
Blue Velvet
Lost Highway
Tale of Two Sisters
Seconds
The Manchurian Candidate (original)

some horrors/chillers/thrillers that I loved.

Rosemary's Baby
Jacob's Ladder
The Tenant
Blue Velvet
Lost Highway
Tale of Two Sisters
Seconds
The Manchurian Candidate (original)

I'd try Old Boy, it fits somewhere in those categories, also Croupier, and then Single White Female, Misery, Leon, Taxi Driver, Hand That Rocks The Cradle and Bound.

In The Name Of The Father 8.5/10

Excellant film, with brilliant performance from Day-Lewis & Postlethwaite, really gets the emotions stirring.

Agreed on the acting part and well-paced. Woefully inaccurate with reference to events, though.

Oldboy was good. Audition is probably more in theme though. Great film. As good as anything you'll see in that genre.