Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Requiem for a Dream 4/5

Weird. But very good. Too depressing (red scousers might watch it after the weekend). :D

I just maybe wonder if when some directors shoot films in other countries if they lost that little something that makes them great.

Kitano claimed that the actors he worked with weren't very good. I doubt he'll be making another film in the West.

Just watched "Get Smart", it was utter shit.

Now going to watch "Mongol", it's supposed to be good. I'll get back later on that..

Police Story. Very good Jackie Chan film. Some truly amazing stunts in this one. His more recent films have lacked a little something, but watch his movies from the 80s and early 90s and you'll see some amazing shit.

Police Story. Very good Jackie Chan film. Some truly amazing stunts in this one. His more recent films have lacked a little something, but watch his movies from the 80s and early 90s and you'll see some amazing shit.

I rather liked Police Story 2 and Project A more than PS 1. His two best madcap kungfu movies were Armour of God and Operation Condor IMO :cool:

As for his best ever film, it's got to be Drunken Master.

Step Brothers.

Tried to laugh at times, but really couldn't. 3/10.

Just watched "Get Smart", it was utter shit.

Now going to watch "Mongol", it's supposed to be good. I'll get back later on that..

Mongol was actually quite good if you're into history and such.

6/10

I saw There Will Be Blood a couple of days ago. Thought it was brilliant. Acting was great and the sound design was spectacular. First 20 minutes with no dialogue :drool: - raw cinema.

10/10 I plan to watch it again this weekend.

10/10 is the perfect movie, so you rate it among the top10 all time? hardly think so

9/10 for TWBB, that said Day-Lewis' performance was a 10/10; Personally I thought it was better than No Country

MAN ON WIRE

Excellent documentary about French genius/nutjob Phillipe Petit, who attempted to high-wire across the gap between the Twin Towers.

Really enjoyable film, funny and poignant. It's a mixture of archive footage and reconstruction. Funny thing is that the old home video footage that provides much of the content is magnificently shot, absolutely top-notch, while the reconstruction bits, shot by a professional cinematographer and full crew, are a bit unambitious and underwhelming.

Petit himself is a terrific character, extremely arrogant but you can't help loving him.

It is also... I can't believe I'm going to say this... please don't let VanNistlerater be online... it is also something of an elegy to the Twin Towers, and a very moving one.

See it in the cinema while it's out, Entertainment Forum oddballs.

9/10 for TWBB, that said Day-Lewis' performance was a 10/10; Personally I thought it was better than No Country

If you define 'a 10/10' as "incredibly self-conscious, unbelievable, rubbish and at times embarrassing", I agree.

MAN ON WIRE

Excellent documentary about French genius/nutjob Phillipe Petit, who attempted to high-wire across the gap between the Twin Towers.

Really enjoyable film, funny and poignant. It's a mixture of archive footage and reconstruction. Funny thing is that the old home video footage that provides much of the content is magnificently shot, absolutely top-notch, while the reconstruction bits, shot by a professional cinematography and full crew, are a bit unambitious and underwhelming.

Petit himself is a terrific character, extremely arrogant but you can't help loving him.

It is also... I can't believe I'm going to say this... please don't let VanNistlerater be online... it is also something of an elegy to the Twin Towers, and a very moving one.

If you define 'a 10/10' as "incredibly self-conscious, unbelievable, rubbish and at times embarrassing", I agree.

that yoak was a bit good alright. Your man checks into a hotel to have a wank, though.

I wanted to see that movie, Plech. Heard it was good. Hopefully it's still at the cinema down the street from me.

Tetsuo. Strange fecking movie. Have to say that is very, very well made in terms of editing/stop motion. The plot's fecking strange, the whole movie's fecking strange.

10/10 is the perfect movie, so you rate it among the top10 all time? hardly think so

:confused:

If you want me to analyse a quick numerical indication of my feelings towards the film then here we are:

There's probably fewer than 20 films that have impressed me as much as TWBB did upon first viewing. It fecking blew me away and i'm still mulling it over 3 days later. I've not seen anything quite like it before. Along with No Country I can't think of any film over the last 5 years that has impressed me as much. Maybe it won't hold up upon second viewing, we'll see.

That constitutes a 10/10 for me.

I saw There Will Be Blood a couple of days ago. Thought it was brilliant. Acting was great and the sound design was spectacular. First 20 minutes with no dialogue :drool: - raw cinema.

10/10 I plan to watch it again this weekend.
I think you might find you've been fannied by DDL's thesporgasm.

"Joy Division"

Amazingly, this film manages to go on for 2 hours, without actually saying anything unique, or giving any insight whatsoever into music, Curtis's personality, Manchester, literally anything.

The film takes the course of a few ruffled performances, followed by various familar talking heads encouraged to bleat on endlessly about how serious Ian Curtis was, how much he liked books and how he smoked the occassional cigarette. The band member are also involved, and they in the main just come over as concerned and thoughfull friends (I could have guessed).

The one point at which the band mates tell stories which happened on the road, has been converted by the filmmaker into a montage, which sounds funny, but you don't actually get any real stories. The whole thing is basically , "oh Ian, yeah he was a cool guy.... oh Ian, yeah he had problems.... oh Ian, yeah he died".

I found it outstanding that the filmmaker has managed to make a film as vacant as this from such an interesting topic.

3/10

I think you might find you've been fannied by DDL's thesporgasm.

nah. I won't deny it's an absurd performance, it is. But with the otherwordly feel of the film it felt perfectly appropriate to me. Thought the rest of the cast were great too.

MAN ON WIRE

Really enjoyable film, funny and poignant. It's a mixture of archive footage and reconstruction. Funny thing is that the old home video footage that provides much of the content is magnificently shot, absolutely top-notch, while the reconstruction bits, shot by a professional cinematographer and full crew, are a bit unambitious and underwhelming.

You're not going to keep going on about this, like you did with that movie about the lads who went to Argentina, are you?

MAN ON WIRE

I watched that thing you recommended ages ago Pletch, In the Hands of the Gods or whatever it was called.

To be honest I thought it was a bit dull.