Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

No Country For Old Men. Watched this for the first time last night, was so impressed that I watched it again this morning and it was even better 2nd time around.

It's so rich with themes, from the Sheriff who despairs at what he sees as new threats and a changing, more dangerous world. To the Vietnam vet who's pride and greed get the better of him. And then there is Chigurh the fatalist, a cold dark figure who moves with a nihilistic contempt, destroying all before him.

The dark humor and just plain darkness of the character is what's at the heart of the film. The scene between Chigurh and the shop owner is astonishing, it's film gold. The line "what time do you go to bed" is as funny and as horrifying as anything i've seen.

It also seems to me, to be the film the Coen's have been working towards their whole career. From the Blood Simple-esque introduction, to the money straight out of Fargo and the reincarnation of Lenoard Smalls from Rasing Arizona as Chigurh. The film is littered with Coen references. Which seems very strange considering it's apparently a very faithful adaptation. Perhaps they just arrived "like the coin".

I also thought the ending was perfect. I'm surprised by the grumbles about it because I'm not sure where else the film had to go. Maybe some wanted a big shootout between the sheriff and Chigurh but I personally don't think that's what the films really about.

It's the best film i've seen for a very long time. I'll have to read the book sometime.

Lust, Caution - Excellent movie, great sex. Tony Leung was his usual brilliant. Wei Tang was the surprise package. If this would have been a Hollywood movie she would taken all the awards.
Awful film - total waste of the great man.

After watching Spirited Away i decided to download some similiar films to see if i like them as well. I downloaded "Princess Mononoke" and "Naausica of the valley of the wind" and wow, i never thought animated films could be so good. Two absolutely breathtaking films, stunning experiences. I strongly recommend others too see them as well.

After watching Spirited Away i decided to download some similiar films to see if i like them as well. I downloaded "Princess Mononoke" and "Naausica of the valley of the wind" and wow, i never thought animated films could be so good. Two absolutely breathtaking films, stunning experiences. I strongly recommend others too see them as well.

If you haven't seen it you should try 'My Neighbour Totoro'. Really lovely film.

Insomnia

Before I thought it's going to be a fantastic movie. But after it was only good. The storyline was divided into more ways and in IMO that didn't help. Plus I wasn't convinced by Robin Williams as a psychopathic murderer. However Al Pacino was great (what a surprise), nice sceneries of Alaska and a really good camera. However this movie had the potential to go more more further.

Have you ever seen Drunken Master or Snake in the Eagle's Shadow? Top notch films.

To be honest Im not sure. I saw a load of them years ago but I cant remember which ones - Project A stuck out.

But for comic kung fu, anyone who hasnt seen Kung Fu Hussle should pretend to be ill, leave work, go home via the local DVD shop and watch it immidiately. It is absolutely awesome. Ten times better than any JC movie I have ever seen.

Insomnia

Before I thought it's going to be a fantastic movie. But after it was only good. The storyline was divided into more ways and in IMO that didn't help. Plus I wasn't convinced by Robin Williams as a psychopathic murderer. However Al Pacino was great (what a surprise), nice sceneries of Alaska and a really good camera. However this movie had the potential to go more more further.

I think that is a very good assessment. Memento is one of the best films of the last 10 years in my opinion so I had really high hopes for it. I was bitterly disappointed with Insomnia, but I think it was unfair to go into the film with such high expectations. If it had been by a different director I think I might have quite enjoyed it.

The setting was amazing. Made me want to go to Alaska on holiday. But the story line was average, but then so (by definition) are most films.

Insomnia

I thought it was a really good film, with good ideas. I thought it was Robin Williams' best role, he's much better playing darker roles than when he's playing a clown.

To be honest Im not sure. I saw a load of them years ago but I cant remember which ones - Project A stuck out.

But for comic kung fu, anyone who hasnt seen Kung Fu Hussle should pretend to be ill, leave work, go home via the local DVD shop and watch it immidiately. It is absolutely awesome. Ten times better than any JC movie I have ever seen.
I think I liked Shaolin Soccer a little bit more than Kung Fu Hustle.

I thought it was a really good film, with good ideas. I thought it was Robin Williams' best role, he's much better playing darker roles than when he's playing a clown.
I thought it was pretty good, particularly how the landscape mirrored the psychological action. It's the only time I've seen Mr Williams and not had the urge to throttle the fecker

You have to see The Prodigal Son.

If you haven't you're gay.

If you have and thought it wasn't good, then you're gayer than a bloke wearing a pink tutu.

Not seen the Prodigal Son. But always rated Sammo Hung above Jackie Chan. The West would have loved him if he wasn't such a fat fecker.

Magnificent Butcher is awsome, 2nd only to Iron Monkey for me.

Shaolin Soccer is great too.

An American Haunting (2007)

Based on the famous Bell Witch case in Tennesse in 1818. I read about it on the internet and it was pretty spooky, so I had high hopes for this film.

Unfortunately, it doesn't manage a single scary moment. The storyline is poorly written and convoluted. They try to shoehorn in a present day link, which falls flat on it's face. Don't watch it, unless you want a lecture in how not to handle a horror movie.

3/10

The Dark Knight was very good. Although, not quite as good as some led me to believe. But I'd recommend it to anyone. . .if there's anyone left on this planet who hasn't seen it, yet. I'd say my only gripe was Two Face, I didn't like they way he flipped. Oh and the boat scenes were weak.

Can't wait to see Hellboy 2, I wonder how it compares.

Sukiyaki Western Django. My biggest complaint with Miike is that he always starts off well, then goes way too far with the absurdity. In this though, he dials it back a fair bit and because of it, I actually really liked this movie. It's a remake, sort to speak, of Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars and Django(as the title suggests). It's one of those movies where if you accept it for what it is and go along with it, it's a fairly entertaining movie. I haven't seen much Miike since about 2004. If he is beginning to tone down his movies a bit, I look forward to what he has to offer. Spoonov, I recommend you watch this one.

Some of his films do. But I don't think that can leveled at Ichi and Audition. And his earlier films such as Rainy Dog, weren't anywhere as convoluted as his later stuff. You should watch Rainy Dog, Ole. I was surprised. Didn't expect it to be half as good as it turned out. I think your man Tarantino paid homage to one of its last scenes in Kill Bill. But yeah, I'll check out Sukiyaki Western Django

Some of his films do. But I don't think that can leveled at Ichi and Audition. And his earlier films such as Rainy Dog, weren't anywhere as convoluted as his later stuff. You should watch Rainy Dog, Ole. I was surprised. Didn't expect it to be half as good as it turned out. I think your man Tarantino paid homage to one of its last scenes in Kill Bill. But yeah, I'll check out Sukiyaki Western Django
I'll give Rainy Dog a watch. Saw a trailer for Sukiayki the other day, wanted to watch it again, too bad I already deleted it from my computer.

The Dark Knight was very good. Although, not quite as good as some led me to believe. But I'd recommend it to anyone. . .if there's anyone left on this planet who hasn't seen it, yet. I'd say my only gripe was Two Face, I didn't like they way he flipped. Oh and the boat scenes were weak.

Can't wait to see Hellboy 2, I wonder how it compares.
Have not seen it yet.

Releasing tomorrow here in Germanland.

Been a long wait.

Will have a look for it then. I'm looking to get back into the Asian movie scene. Give me some titles to work my way back into it. Nothing too crazy.

Fallen Angel(which you've probably seen), Save the Red Lantern(Gong Li would get it), Farewell My Concubine, My Sassy Girl, Last Life in the Universe. . .er, I;m pretty sure you've probably seen them.

Any thread to list the top hundred movies?I just watched in bruges,donnie darko(very confusing),warlords,eastern promises etc..just need more movies to watch.This thread is 140 pages and i went through 90 pages but will not be continuing.So help is needed here for a brief summary of movies.And i shall skip horror movies.Thank you.

Any thread to list the top hundred movies?I just watched in bruges,donnie darko(very confusing),warlords,eastern promises etc..just need more movies to watch.This thread is 140 pages and i went through 90 pages but will not be continuing.So help is needed here for a brief summary of movies.And i shall skip horror movies.Thank you.

Maybe, the use of the search function might be helpful

Lust, Caution - Excellent movie, great sex. Tony Leung was his usual brilliant. Wei Tang was the surprise package. If this would have been a Hollywood movie she would taken all the awards.

I'd bang,
Wei Tang.

Citizen Kane --

have never seen this, but got the movie just now and planning to watch it tonight.
what should i look forward to?