Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Citizen Kane --

have never seen this, but got the movie just now and planning to watch it tonight.
what should i look forward to?

Quite simply one of the finest cinematical experiences. Repeat viewing mandatory. Especially with Director's commentary or even the Roger Ebert commentary is pretty good. It's not the finest story or the best performances of all time, but there are so many little things that went into this that make it the masterpiece that it is. Just watch it and you will know ... arguably the finest piece of direction to come from Hollywood.

No Country For Old Men. Watched this for the first time last night, was so impressed that I watched it again this morning and it was even better 2nd time around.

It's so rich with themes, from the Sheriff who despairs at what he sees as new threats and a changing, more dangerous world. To the Vietnam vet who's pride and greed get the better of him. And then there is Chigurh the fatalist, a cold dark figure who moves with a nihilistic contempt, destroying all before him.

The dark humor and just plain darkness of the character is what's at the heart of the film. The scene between Chigurh and the shop owner is astonishing, it's film gold. The line "what time do you go to bed" is as funny and as horrifying as anything i've seen.

It also seems to me, to be the film the Coen's have been working towards their whole career. From the Blood Simple-esque introduction, to the money straight out of Fargo and the reincarnation of Lenoard Smalls from Rasing Arizona as Chigurh. The film is littered with Coen references. Which seems very strange considering it's apparently a very faithful adaptation. Perhaps they just arrived "like the coin".

I also thought the ending was perfect. I'm surprised by the grumbles about it because I'm not sure where else the film had to go. Maybe some wanted a big shootout between the sheriff and Chigurh but I personally don't think that's what the films really about.

It's the best film i've seen for a very long time. I'll have to read the book sometime.

Spot on mate. It gets better with each viewing. And those who don't get the ending need to watch it again to understand why it's so perfect ... especially for the theme/tone of the movie.

Quite simply one of the finest cinematical experiences. Repeat viewing mandatory. Especially with Director's commentary or even the Roger Ebert commentary is pretty good. It's not the finest story or the best performances of all time, but there are so many little things that went into this that make it the masterpiece that it is. Just watch it and you will know ... arguably the finest piece of direction to come from Hollywood.

that good eh?
looking forward to it. lets see how i like it.

.. not on my lips.. :D

just finished watching and then reading about the movie.. mixed feelings about the same.
kane's character was hopelessly megalomaniacal and lost (reminded me of the aviator).
the episodic narration was a nice touch, but the movie ended just too soon, prematurely.

will, probably have to watch it more closely a couple more times.

The Dark Knight was very good. Although, not quite as good as some led me to believe. But I'd recommend it to anyone. . .if there's anyone left on this planet who hasn't seen it, yet. I'd say my only gripe was Two Face, I didn't like they way he flipped. Oh and the boat scenes were weak.

Can't wait to see Hellboy 2, I wonder how it compares.
Saw it tonight, finally.
And my view is exactly the same. Two face/Dent should have been done better and boat scene was indeed rubbish.
The interrogation sequence made the whole movie for me.

Can anyone tell me a film in which Jonah hill is the main character? Besides SuperBad.

YearTitleRoleNotes2004I Heart HuckabeesBret Hooten2005The 40 Year Old VirgineBay CustomerFirst role for Judd ApatowPancho's PizzaShort film2006Grandma's BoyBarryClickBen Newman in 2017AcceptedSherman Schrader10 Items or LessThe Kid2007Knocked UpJonahEvan AlmightyEugene TenanbaumRocket ScienceLionelSuperbadSethWalk Hard: The Dewey Cox StoryNate Cox's GhostUncredited role2008Strange WildernessLane CookerHorton Hears a Who!Tommyvoice onlyForgetting Sarah MarshallMatthewJust Add WaterEddie2009This Side of the TruthFrankPost-productionHow to Train Your DragonSnotlout (voice)filmingGet Him To The Greekpre-productionFunny Peoplepre-production2010The 1 Second Filmin-development

You really are Whiz at wikipedia Elvis. Got to hand it to you. Cheers, reminded me that I need to down load "Forgetting Sarah Marshall".

Xx

Anyone who hasnt seen this film is a moron

Spot on mate. It gets better with each viewing. And those who don't get the ending need to watch it again to understand why it's so perfect ... especially for the theme/tone of the movie.

It is necessary to say that Javier Bardem is one hell of an actor.

Saw Leon The Professional. Nice movie. Gary Oldman stole the show.

Wondering what to watch next: American Beauty, Groundhog Day or State of Grace. Which would you say is the best of the 3?

Pineapple Express

Whilst it did have some humorous parts, especially towards the end, I felt it struggled for a large part - very hit and miss.

Tropic Thunder

Just came back from it now. Fantastic in short, was humorous/hilarious practically all the way through. Definately a 'blockbuster' type movie to see with the lads in a full cinema. Highly recommend.

My 'Hot Fuzz' of 08 (though I doubt it will have the timelessness of Hot Fuzz).

Saw Leon The Professional. Nice movie. Gary Oldman stole the show.

Wondering what to watch next: American Beauty, Groundhog Day or State of Grace. Which would you say is the best of the 3?

American Beauty is a classic.

Watch 'No Country For Old Men'

It's fantastic

Am going to see Hellboy 2 a little later on. Will report back afterwards, you'll all no doubt be delighted to hear

Just seen The Dark Knight. It was good, not great. Ledger's performance was impressive. Unrecognisable under the make up and voice.

Overall there was some nice ideas (although too many and not enough attention paid too each of them) and some good action. But it was too long and too sparse and didn't emotionally involve me.

a generous 7/10.

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo

A south korean war movie. One of the best war movies i've ever seen, some silly moments but overall an absolute fantastic film.
The ending had me in tears. It was only the second time i've ever cried at a movie, i tried to hold it back but i failed miserably.

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo

A south korean war movie. One of the best war movies i've ever seen, some silly moments but overall an absolute fantastic film.
The ending had me in tears. It was only the second time i've ever cried at a movie, i tried to hold it back but i failed miserably.

Yeah it's good but it's a bit overly dramatic at times much like We Were Soldiers although overall it's far better.

Romeo Must Die, pretty entertaining, although it is clear who the good guys and bad guys are all along.

Good guys - people Aaliyah likes
Bad guys - people Aaliyah doesnt like

Other than that decent action, and kinda one of those movies that turned the corner from the 90s action flick to what we see today

Just saw Hellboy 2

Meh, ok I guess. Hellboy 1 was better structured. Also the main mythology was weak for me, the supposed villain was terrible.

The New world. Glimpses of a possibly good film occasionally peek through the shots of blowing trees and running water. But overall it's a ponderous and unrewarding two and a half hours.

Hellboy 2: Fun film, a little muddled for the first half but got better as it went along, its good characters and humour make up for lack of an original plot. Worth seeing just to hear Hellboy & Abe singing Barry Manilow.

Oh and "I'm not a baby, I'm a tumour".