Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

I take it you didn't like Rush Hour I or II?

I liked 1. 2 wasn't as good. But both were entertaining.

What do you think of Bowfinger? and am I the only person who enjoyed it? Everyone laughed at me when I said I thought it was funny. I loved Eddie Murphy's character. He was just so geeky.

I liked 1. 2 wasn't as good. But both were entertaining.

What do you think of Bowfinger? and am I the only person who enjoyed it? Everyone laughed at me when I said I thought it was funny. I loved Eddie Murphy's character. He was just so geeky.

Yeah I didn't mind it at all, it certainly had some moments.

Mind you I saw it on tele a long while after it was released, I held no expectations and taking it for what it's worth it was enjoyable.

The characters where good from memory.

Has anyone seen Ong Bak?

Some great fight scenes in that. Was on a plane to China bored out of my tits when I flipped this on by accident. Made the trip that much more enjoyable.

Ong Bak was great, well the first half was, then it got a little bit tedious. Some brilliant action. . .in fact I'd say as good as anything I've seen, if not the best.

Well, a lot of kung fu films influenced the Wu Tang clan, but this is considered one of the best. Their name Wu Tang was taken from a style of kung fu, such as in the movie, Shaolin v Wu Tang. Great movie that one.

Their first album uses many samples from this film, I think. (Also, Shogun Assassin.)

Ong Bak was great, well the first half was, then it got a little bit tedious. Some brilliant action. . .in fact I'd say as good as anything I've seen, if not the best.

Yeah I absolutely loved it. I remember I kept pestering my mate about it, asking if he knew what it was called and where I could get it (because I didn't catch the title), but he had no idea. I was shattered - I wanted to show my mates back at home.

Lucky for me I saw the advert on a bus shelter in Beijing and got myself the DVD straight away. Suffice to say I made all my mates sit through it, and they absolutely loved it despite the subtitles and annoying wingy asian bird.

The action scenes where absolutely stunning! That barfight and the chase through the streets :eek:.

Obviously the guy has serious talent, I just don't think it lies in the acting regime. If you want to judge the movie for its action alone then yeah it was great fun but as a whole it was nothing special.

Obviously the guy has serious talent, I just don't think it lies in the acting regime. If you want to judge the movie for its action alone then yeah it was great fun but as a whole it was nothing special.

For the action alone it is very special. Never a martial arts film like it.

I still havent seen Taboo, Doc. I bet you haven't seen Come and See and Wages of Fear either.

:nervous: it's been a busy summer no time for renting movies. If they're not on TV I don't watch.

Kitano stars in Taboo, doesn't he??(I've just checked on imbd and there are few films called Taboo). And Wages of Fear, is that the French one, Mr Mehro?

I'd like to start watching films, again.

Is Kung Fu Panda, any good?

Kung Fu Panda's average.

And I didn't like Amadeus. Murray Abraham acted well but there were too many things that irritated the feck out of me in the movie.

And mehro, it has been established by a well known establisher, ie, me, that you no taste.So feck you.

Watched Right at Your Door a few days ago...really wasn't sure what to make of it. Was expecting a more wider narrative than it being mainly set in one location.

Not bad, though, in a post-9/11 kind of way.

Amadeus was class. Even if just for the ending sequence with Saleri on his wheelchair taken away while blessing him and others for just being medicore.

Kitano stars in Taboo, doesn't he??(I've just checked on imbd and there are few films called Taboo). And Wages of Fear, is that the French one, Mr Mehro?

I'd like to start watching films, again.

Kitano, aka Beat Takeshi?

Yes that's the one.

You should check out Sonatine, Dolls and Hana-bi. Not exactly full of action, but I'm sure you'll like them.

Pass me that hammer:

CousCous - ridiculously hyped movie about North African immigrants in France that lacks any coherent narrative drive. Some nice vignettes don't make a 2 and a half hour fecking feature film.

Savage Grace - tediously nasty piece of work about rich people we don't give a flying feck about with a horribly lovey performance from Julianne Moore. Avoid.

Million Dollar Baby - sentimental hogwash with little resemblance to boxing or life. (I should have known since I tried to read one of the source novelist FX Tooles' other books and found it full of sentimental hogwash with little resemblance.....)

Don't think I've ever seen three worse films back to back.

ibly lovey performance from Julianne Moore. Avoid.

Million Dollar Baby - sentimental hogwash with little resemblance to boxing or life. (I should have known since I tried to read one of the source novelist FX Tooles' other books and found it full of sentimental hogwash with little resemblance.....)

I felt the same way. Can't believe it won the oscar.

What the feck happened in the last 2 hours? Hammer and SUresh are back, Donado's username is fecked?

Yes, Spoons, Wages of Fear is the French one.

Cheers Mehro...have missed the cut and thrust and general bonhommie of this place!

And for what it's worth, I thought Amadeus was excellent. The actress who played his wife also had a great set of lungs on her, if that's anything to go by!

Welcome back. The manner of your passing was utterly gay, by the way.

Cheers don...however my 'passing' was only temporary, as you can see. I wasn't in a very good place in my personal life at that time and I'm afraid I let someone who I shall never meet get under my skin unnecessarily. Such is life.

However things are now good all round, so looking forward to some good debate, discussion and general cheeriness!

Glad to have you back. Catch us up on all the movies you've watched during your voluntary exile.

The New One Armed Swordsman. What an ending. Cheh Chang raised the bar with each Swordsman movie, and this one was the realization of it all. Overall it's a very good movie of its genre. Some fantastic fight scenes in it.

Conversation (1974)

Gene Hackman at his best. I really like movies which play some sort of a game with your mind. 4/5