Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Dark Knight - saw it on an IMAX screen...great entertainment. Heath Ledger played the role of the Joker very well.

Scarlett in pink wig?

Bryan Ferry - More Than This

:confused:

No, the 'sucking on my titties like you want it' song.

Peaches - feck the pain away, it's catchy as and has some potential remix-style

Nah mate, don't agree at all, all PC bollocks if you ask me, it was funny and that's all that matters.

Yeah its a load of bollocks allright....you should really just try and take things for what they're meant to be and thats a joke.

If somethings funny its fecking funny

"I don't hit women. I would never hit a woman, Chloe. I'd hit a woman who was trying to hit me with a bottle. That's different. That's self-defense, isn't it? Or a woman who could do karate. I would never hit a woman generally, Chloe."

:lol:

Can't remember it being in Lost in Translation. :s

The strippers scene - where Bill's just sitting by himself all awkward purpously not looking at the stripper, whilst he waits for Johansson to come meet him.

Yeah its a load of bollocks allright....you should really just try and take things for what they're meant to be and thats a joke.

If somethings funny its fecking funny

"I don't hit women. I would never hit a woman, Chloe. I'd hit a woman who was trying to hit me with a bottle. That's different. That's self-defense, isn't it? Or a woman who could do karate. I would never hit a woman generally, Chloe."

:lol:

My point was it's been done to death, and it's pretty much featured in nearly every single crappy American comedy that's come out in the last 5 years.

Knocked Up

Very funny. In fact, funniest film I've seen in quite some time.

Transformers

Bollocks. Total bollocks. 2 and a bit hours of my life gone forever. How does anyone ever have a script and think 'Michael Bay would be perfect for this'? Armageddon, Pearl Harbour, The Island, Transformers. Is there a pattern forming here?

Knocked Up

Transformers

Bollocks. Total bollocks. 2 and a bit hours of my life gone forever. How does anyone ever have a script and think 'Michael Bay would be perfect for this'? Armageddon, Pearl Harbour, The Island, Transformers. Is there a pattern forming here?

I thought Knocked Up was shit

Transformers

Transformers is so far above the others it's unbelievable.

Knocked Up

Transformers

Finally someone else has seen the light as well.

I could not understand why people though Transformers was good. It was complete shit for moi.

Transformers was brilliant entertainment. What was there not to like?

Knocked up was tolerable but hardly hilarious.

I am disgusted that I may have accidentally downloaded that film. Am I to assume that my self loathing has been for no useful purpose and that I would be wasting my time watching?

Finally someone else has seen the light as well.

I could not understand why people though Transformers was good. It was complete shit for moi.
I wanted to like it. It could (should) have been really good.

I'm not really a film buff by any means. I like movies, but I wouldn't go so far as to criticise the lighting or anything. I just lost count of the number of times I rolled my eyes at something that was just really dumb. Mostly the dialogue.

Aimed at ten year olds, basically, which you can't really blame them for. Even as mindless popcorn entertainment though, I thought it was poor.

Some films I've watched recently..

Felon
Good film like most films starring Val Kilmer tend to be. Not a masterpiece perhaps, but very decent entertainment nonetheless.
7/10

Rescue Dawn
Meh. Nothing special and pretty boring to be honest. Especially for an action flick. I always rated Christian Bale but he didn't really impress me with this one. I actually thought his acting was cringeworthy at times. I don't want to spoil it, but I'll say this much.. The end scene almost made me puke.

As for "based on a true story", read this page:

http://www.rescuedawnthetruth.com/

If you can't be arsed, I'll summarise it for you: A lot of it is <shock!> made up bollocks and writer/director Herzog even refused to meet some of the real world characters who are portrayed in the film when he was writing it.
3/10

In Bruges
Loved it. Some very funny dialogue in this one. Didn't really rate Colin Farrell before seeing this.
8/10

I am disgusted that I may have accidentally downloaded that film. Am I to assume that my self loathing has been for no useful purpose and that I would be wasting my time watching?

Burn it onto a rewritable DVD, and then burn a homemade video over it.

Any of you lot seen Mr Brooks, with Costner in it?

Is it any good (save me wasting 2 hours of my life)

Any of you lot seen Mr Brooks, with Costner in it?

Is it any good (save me wasting 2 hours of my life)

In the 'to watch' pile at the moment, I've heard it is good though.

Out of interest franco, just put on the CD of the Underworld gig we went to at the Apollo, just reminded me how fecking great it was.

Could just go an Underworld right now.

In the 'to watch' pile at the moment, I've heard it is good though.

Out of interest franco, just put on the CD of the Underworld gig we went to at the Apollo, just reminded me how fecking great it was.

Could just go an Underworld right now.

Yeah that was a class gig my friend

Really good. Spooky wondering if people like that do exist.

I thought it was fairly decent too, I give it a 5.5-6. Was up early before the Arsenal match in April and had nothing to do so watched and drank several greyhounds, have to say the match was much more thrilling though, Hargreavessssssss, Brilliant!

Halloween (remake) 2/10

Stop remaking films please. It's fecking embarrassing, you talentless cnuts.

You may accidentally delete it and accidentally defragment your disk so there is no way back.

The Forbidden Kingdom

Story line - Crap

Action - Sweet

Main knocks - I think if they'd made it in the vein of the Golden Flower (or whatever it was called) and Hero, ala a serious movie, it would've been a blockbuster. It had potential, which they pretty much destroyed when they thought of using the typical 'American kid saves the day' type theme.

The bloody adverts had me going too, none of them paid any mention of a young Yank having to save the day.

So in short - if it was a Chinese production it would've been a lot better.

Still enjoyable, if only for the action scenes.

Some films I've watched recently..

Felon
Good film like most films starring Val Kilmer tend to be. Not a masterpiece perhaps, but very decent entertainment nonetheless.
7/10

Rescue Dawn
Meh. Nothing special and pretty boring to be honest. Especially for an action flick. I always rated Christian Bale but he didn't really impress me with this one. I actually thought his acting was cringeworthy at times. I don't want to spoil it, but I'll say this much.. The end scene almost made me puke.

As for "based on a true story", read this page:

http://www.rescuedawnthetruth.com/

If you can't be arsed, I'll summarise it for you: A lot of it is <shock!> made up bollocks and writer/director Herzog even refused to meet some of the real world characters who are portrayed in the film when he was writing it.
3/10

In Bruges
Loved it. Some very funny dialogue in this one. Didn't really rate Colin Farrell before seeing this.
8/10

Agreed. Apart from the Felon bit because I've never heard of it. Rescue Dawn is fairly boring, unrealistic, some poor acting and the ending is one of the most awful things to happen to film.

400 Blows - I was very excited about watching this movie and had rather high expectations but it didn't quite live up to them. While it was a good movie just about every french movie I have seen before this has been better, Amelie, Z, Wages of Fear, Diabolique, Rfifi...

Had to watch it again last night with the girlfriend. Obviously the imdb ratings are an exaggeration but it is by far the best movie of the year.

I am actually thinking about going outside Germany to watch it. Can't wait another month after everyone I talk to is bigging it up. :mad:

I saw yesterday Hannibal Rising. 6/10

I really liked it. Of course "the Hopkins factor" was missing and some illogical scenes (like trying the samurai's mask).

The only two new films Ive seen recently - meaning films I hadnt seen before - were Valley of Ellah and The Kingdom.

The first was good. Got better as it went on as well. Compelling plot, good performance by Tommy Lee.

The Kingdom was very average though. Here is something I rustled up earlier for it:

The Kingdom could have been really good. In the first fifteen minutes of the film I was struck – as I have been plenty of times before – by what a fascinating place Saudi Arabia is. I was well settled on the sofa, hoping for some insight into the lives of Saudis, political intrigue in the halls of power and some thought provoking hypothesising about the relationships between the extremists and members of the royal family.

There is very little of that in The Kingdom: what you have here is your average US action movie. And there is a place for that. As far as fairly formulaic terrorism films go, it was enjoyable enough. I liked the cast – there were a lot of people in it who I have enjoyed in other things (Michael out of Arrested Development, Lyla from Friday Night Lights and Ari from Entourage, for example).

The problem with formulaic, self-congratulatory, flag-waving American terrorism films is the complete focus they have on the highly moral, remarkably capable FBI agent, fighting to make the world a better place and get back to his loving family. It is not that I don’t believe in those characters – I’m sure there are plenty of them around, (though there are some less capable ones too – more films about FBI ineptitude please) – it is just that there are so many films about them.

To reiterate my original point, what I really wanted to know about was the lives of the Saudis. But far from revealing anything about them, they were dismissed, effectively, as utterly incompetent, one-dimensional characters, to a man. One Saudi policeman, charged with babysitting the Americans who visit the kingdom, comes good in the end. He also has children and wants to see an end to the violence, and in a touching exchange, the main American bloke proves he has grown fond of his Arab companion by asking his name. A real tear-jerker.

The Saudis, it seems, are incapable of investigating a terrorist strike themselves. But was it a cover up? A crippling lack of experience among the police and National Guard? There were certainly elements of both, but it was all rolled in together and portrayed as a demenour of generic uncooperativeness.

I know very little about the quality of the Saudi security services, and of course I would expect the US to have far more ability in this area. But I found it incredibly patronising that they were portrayed as so utterly hapless they hadn’t bothered to interview witnesses, examine evidence or do anything else at all by the time the US contingent had been flown in from Washington.

That observation, and resentment about the absence of any depth to the Saudi characters in the film, played on my mind throughout the film. Instead of an exposé of the highly complex and deeply fascinating world of Saudi politics, (or a film speculating intelligently about what those relationships might be in what, Ill admit, is a very secretive society), we got that formulaic, self-congratulatory, flag-waving American terrorism film. It could have been in New York, Los Angeles or London. The only difference would have been less frequent subtitles.

400 Blows - I was very excited about watching this movie and had rather high expectations but it didn't quite live up to them. While it was a good movie just about every french movie I have seen before this has been better, Amelie, Z, Wages of Fear, Diabolique, Rfifi...
Go outside put the gun in your mouth and end it all now

I actually saw 400 Blows in halves. I was so sleepy on Sunday night that I fell asleep while watching it and I barely finished it last night before I fell asleep. Perhaps it deserves a second watch.