Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Serious question for my movie-loving brethren: Do you think movies in the traditional sense are a dying art form?

For many years now, it has been in niche / prestige TV where the creative chances are being taken and new talent is being fostered. Audiences don't want to go to the cineplexes anymore, not only the cost, but also the social component to watching movies with crowds has disappeared and been replaced with talking teenagers texting, insanely loud effects, and a blizzard of pre-show commercials. Without the cineplex, what are movies when seen at home? Is there something special about the format (single dose, 90 to 100 minutes) that will survive?
I don't think so. There will still be prestige movies being made (or whatever one wants to call them), both for streaming services and for cinemas. I also think IMAX and other premium formats will take over more and more in the cineplexes. There's still a demand for seeing blockbusters in the cinema as seeing a film in such a format provides an experience that you just don't get at home. Even though general cinema going is down since the pandemic, there's still a lot of big movies that has made a fortune at the box office.

I do think medium/high budgeted films that doesn't really have anything that's warrants them to be seen in the cinema will struggle more and more (they already do quite a bit now).

Will always prefer to go to the cinema to see something new than watch it at home. I have a 4k projector with a 120" screen in my bedroom but nothing beats going to the pictures. I could have easily watched Alien Romulus at home but it was £6.99 well spent.

Alien Resurrection

“Father's dead, asshole”

Alien Resurrection is a love story about how two beautiful lesbians have replaced God the holy father.

Resurrection bring the series back to its horror roots with themes of pregnancy along with new these themes of isolation due to identity.

The aesthetics throughout mimic a Nine Inch Nails album cover with some religious symbolism added on top(Robots are Christians who worship a usb bible). Peak 90’s cgi mixed with giant practically effects which at times makes the film looks like a video game from PS1 demo disc.

A great list of characters from arsehole space mercenaries to scientists mostly interested in having sex with the xenomorph.

All tied together with Jean‑Pierre Jeunet frantic directing. Makes for a brilliant change of style in the series. Resurrection jumps from sci fi horror to over the top action comedy.

It’s what every big summer blockbuster should be….a one time chance for a stylised director to destroy his Hollywood career.

Brilliant film.

GW4iFjFWkAAugZI.jpg

9/10

Tomorrow Edge

Horror movie starting Tom Cruise as a man stuck inside a NATO simulator.

8/10

Saw Longlegs yesterday. I liked it a lot, very creepy vibe and tense throughout. I did think the pacing was a bit iffy, and it's not a film I will ever rewatch I think but for me it was a positive surprise. I'm not surprised it doesn't seem as well liked by audiences ad by critics though. 8/10

Ah. Ok. It is better than the average Netflix movie. Which is a very low bar. Not a patch on Green Room though. In my opinion. Have you seen Blue Ruin? The best of the lot.
I haven't, I guess since I didn't like Green Room that much I didn't really check out what the director had done before. I will put it on my watchlist.
I watched Blue Ruin the other day, and it was indeed his strongest film. Very good, slow burner. Green Room maybe deserves a second go then.

The Watched / The Watchers
Confusingly, this has two names. A film about a woman who gets lost in the woods (along with a few others) with no way out and has to stay in a cabin during the nights because forest creatures are on the prowl. Directed by M. Night Shyamalan daughter and pulls from Irish mythology, this has moments of promise with a decent concept and some nearly tense scenes. But the M. Night-ism kicks in. Flat characters, dialogue written like it was by an alien trying to understand communication and themes that are just glossed over. It's a shame as this definitely had potential to be really good, but as it is, it's a slightly above average horror flick as I'm feeling generous 5.5/10

Ah. Ok. It is better than the average Netflix movie. Which is a very low bar. Not a patch on Green Room though. In my opinion. Have you seen Blue Ruin? The best of the lot.
I love Green Room and Blue Ruin. The arrow stuck in the leg payoff always makes me laugh.

It takes something special to get me to the cinema these days. The cost, the annoying emergency exit lights and the 50/50 chance of cnuts talking on their phone makes is a gamble I usually can't be bothered to make.

Last film I saw at the cinema was Oppenheimer, in a arthouse cinema and an audience mainly 40+, and there was still some cnut in the front row talking and texting on his phone who didn't stop until I'd asked (then told) him twice to put the fecking thing away. He got a bit lippy but then ran off at the end. Cockwomble.

Last edited:
Saw Longlegs yesterday. I liked it a lot, very creepy vibe and tense throughout. I did think the pacing was a bit iffy, and it's not a film I will ever rewatch I think but for me it was a positive surprise. I'm not surprised it doesn't seem as well liked by audiences ad by critics though. 8/10
How so?

It takes something special to get me to the cinema these days. The cost, the annoying emergency exit lights and the 50/50 chance of cnuts talking on their phone makes is a gamble I usually can't be bothered to make.

Last film I saw at the cinema was Oppenheimer, in a arthouse cinema and an audience mainly 40+, and there was still some cnut in the front row talking and texting on his phone who didn't stop until I'd asked (then told) him twice to put the fecking thing away. He got a bit lippy but then ran off at the end. Cockwomble.
That's uncanny. I saw Oppenheimer at an art house cinema, had to sit in the front row cuz it was sold out, and I had to check my socials while the film was happening. Then some muscle-bound, rather handsome dude with a wacky Croc Dundee accent tells me to put the phone away. No, I says. Then he gets up in my face a second time, and says, that's not a mobile phone - this is a mobile phone, and he proceeds to chug a can of Foster's right in my face. I put my phone away.

I love Green Room and Blue Ruin. The arrow stuck in the leg payoff always makes me laugh.
I preferred Green Room mainly because of the hardcore setting. I thought the film was cooking along nicely and then suddenly went cuckoo with some shocking unearned violence, and then got a little stale. I loved the idea of punks saying feck you to a punch of nazis, though.

Alien Resurrection

“Father's dead, asshole”

Alien Resurrection is a love story about how two beautiful lesbians have replaced God the holy father.

Resurrection bring the series back to its horror roots with themes of pregnancy along with new these themes of isolation due to identity.

The aesthetics throughout mimic a Nine Inch Nails album cover with some religious symbolism added on top(Robots are Christians who worship a usb bible). Peak 90’s cgi mixed with giant practically effects which at times makes the film looks like a video game from PS1 demo disc.

A great list of characters from arsehole space mercenaries to scientists mostly interested in having sex with the xenomorph.

All tied together with Jean‑Pierre Jeunet frantic directing. Makes for a brilliant change of style in the series. Resurrection jumps from sci fi horror to over the top action comedy.

It’s what every big summer blockbuster should be….a one time chance for a stylised director to destroy his Hollywood career.

Brilliant film.

GW4iFjFWkAAugZI.jpg

9/10

Tomorrow Edge

Horror movie starting Tom Cruise as a man stuck inside a NATO simulator.

8/10
I'll have to give this one another viewing. Something didn't work when I saw it back in the day, but this photo of Ryder and Weaver provides at least two motivators for rewatching it. Four? Eight? Anyway, I think Jeunet's style didn't really lend itself to the Alien universe.

Also, EDGE OF TOMORROW is a 10/10. I don't watch many movies multiple times anymore. Used to when there was not an endless stream of content available at my fingertips, but I have seen EoT at least 6 times. It's a flawless film. If Alien Girls Who Like Girls is a 9/10, then EoT has to be an 11/10.

I'll have to give this one another viewing. Something didn't work when I saw it back in the day, but this photo of Ryder and Weaver provides at least two motivators for rewatching it. Four? Eight? Anyway, I think Jeunet's style didn't really lend itself to the Alien universe.
It’s doesn’t work as a horror film like the first Alien film but as it’s own thing it was very enjoyable.

Similar to David Lynch take on Dune I liked how different Resurrection was.
Also, EDGE OF TOMORROW is a 10/10. I don't watch many movies multiple times anymore. Used to when there was not an endless stream of content available at my fingertips, but I have seen EoT at least 6 times. It's a flawless film. If Alien Girls Who Like Girls is a 9/10, then EoT has to be an 11/10.
Honestly I was going to give it a 10/10 as there’s some many incredible parts. Cruise is in top form as sleaze ball media guy, the designs of the suits are great and the m film concept is truly brilliant.

But….

imo monsters in are a bit of a let down. The soundtrack does the job but isn’t anything special. Imo the film peaks at the farm house which a heart breaking moment but everything after is fine.

It’s still a very very good film though.

Just watched Speak No Evil. James McAvoy was perfect for that role. Genuinely the best horror film I've ever seen. Best cinema experience I've had in years as well.

Just watched Speak No Evil. James McAvoy was perfect for that role. Genuinely the best horror film I've ever seen. Best cinema experience I've had in years as well.

I watched the original last year and it’s completely fecked up. I won’t be watching this version

I watched the original Danish film and thought it was kind of dumb, mediocre and grim. Bit surprised at the reception for the remake, though I guess the role could suit James McAvoy.

I watched the original last year and it’s completely fecked up. I won’t be watching this version
I watched the original Danish film and thought it was kind of dumb, mediocre and grim. Bit surprised at the reception for the remake, though I guess the role could suit James McAvoy.
I guess the tone makes a huge difference. This one didn't come across as dumb. Not too unrealistic as far as horrors go.

Just watched Rebel Ridge (awful title). It was decent but struggling to understand the conspiracy afoot.

What's with the 90 days thing? I get that they can delete dashcam footage after that period but how are they stopping it from being released? I took it that they they were holding people without charge in isolation for 90 days without outside contact or legal represtation in order to prevent them requesting it. How are they getting away with that? That's surely a bigger crime than the police brutality that took place in the first place? Even if that's what's happening, what happens after the 90 days and they're released? Are they sworn to silence or something?

That's uncanny. I saw Oppenheimer at an art house cinema, had to sit in the front row cuz it was sold out, and I had to check my socials while the film was happening. Then some muscle-bound, rather handsome dude with a wacky Croc Dundee accent tells me to put the phone away. No, I says. Then he gets up in my face a second time, and says, that's not a mobile phone - this is a mobile phone, and he proceeds to chug a can of Foster's right in my face. I put my phone away.
Fosters in an arthouse cinema?

In fact you rarely see it anywhere here even in pubs or bottle shops.

The rest is totally accurate apart from the facts ;)

I watched the original and enjoyed it (well, not enjoyed but you know what I'm saying). Is there any point in watching this?

I watched the original and enjoyed it (well, not enjoyed but you know what I'm saying). Is there any point in watching this?
I haven't watched the original so I'd imagine some of the jaw-dropping scenes wouldn't have been the same had I known what was about to happen. Part of what made it such a good watch was the unpredictability of what was to come. That's also why I try to avoid trailers for most films so I can go in blind. But just as a pure cinematic experience - I would definitely recommend. The dialogue and the overall uncomfortable tension was so good.

My wife's watching Pixels. I've been catching only about 30 min of it and it isn't done yet, but what a terrible, terrible film. None of the jokes work, the characters are annoying, the plot is nonsensical beyond what might have been funny, and the entire experience is just shit. Good thing I didn't reserve time for this. (Unlike my wife, yes.)

My wife's watching Pixels. I've been catching only about 30 min of it and it isn't done yet, but what a terrible, terrible film. None of the jokes work, the characters are annoying, the plot is nonsensical beyond what might have been funny, and the entire experience is just shit. Good thing I didn't reserve time for this. (Unlike my wife, yes.)
It was widely derided here as a garbage movie. I wonder about how flops in the US are marketed for other markets, especially when a movie is DOA.

I think the poor reviews put me off.

It was widely derided here as a garbage movie. I wonder about how flops in the US are marketed for other markets, especially when a movie is DOA.
I don't know specifically, I just vaguely remembered it as an action comedy with one of those actors I dislike and that it was killed in reviews.
I think the poor reviews put me off.
Yeah, I'd never have picked this myself.

I was tempted despite it being a horror, a genre that generally bores me senseless, but then read the plot synopsis and noped out.

I don't know specifically, I just vaguely remembered it as an action comedy with one of those actors I dislike and that it was killed in reviews.

Yeah, I'd never have picked this myself.
Adam Sandler and Kevin James make it a film I'd avoid. Sandler and Cage are probably the actors I avoid the most.

I watched Patriots Day yestetrday for the first time.
Not a fan of Mark Wahlberg, but I quite liked this movie.

It's evident that they put a lot of effort into researching the bombins and the different people involved/affected.

Giving it a solid 7.5/10.

I also wached 21 Bridges recently.
On a sidenote I'll say that I don't understand how almost no one knew that Chadwick Boseman had some sort of illness.
His face looks so thin...

I liked his acting and the chase-by-foot scenes are very impressive knowing what we know now about his condition at the time,
But I don't really get why the movie received rather positive reviews, at least the ones I saw pre and after watching it.
Felt like I've seen this movie before quite a couple of times.

It wasn't bad entertainment, but it's quite a forgetable movie IMV.

5/10.

I haven't watched the original so I'd imagine some of the jaw-dropping scenes wouldn't have been the same had I known what was about to happen. Part of what made it such a good watch was the unpredictability of what was to come. That's also why I try to avoid trailers for most films so I can go in blind. But just as a pure cinematic experience - I would definitely recommend. The dialogue and the overall uncomfortable tension was so good.
Cheers, may just watch it on home release.

I don't watch trailers either. I discovered Dr Sleep was a sequel to Shining in real time :lol:

AR is ok, you have to watch it to enjoy the start where your one’s ass is just awesome and the scene in the Pool is deadly. It’s uncomfortably weird at times but overall I’m fond of it , prob cause I was going to college at the time and went with mates to see it in cinema.

Edge of tomorrow is easily 10-10’as you say, gets better on repeat watch. Watch, enjoy , repeat

I believe the creepy vibey nature of the film appeals more to critics than the general audience. It's not really a scary movie in the way that most horror films aspire to be today.

Not to mention the plot really is rather shite and obvious. It felt like your standard 90s cop thriller with lots of Kubrik The Shining tribute thrown in. I loved that but it still didn't pull together as a solid film for me.
Well marketed riding the Cage train though.

AR is ok, you have to watch it to enjoy the start where your one’s ass is just awesome and the scene in the Pool is deadly. It’s uncomfortably weird at times but overall I’m fond of it , prob cause I was going to college at the time and went with mates to see it in cinema.

Edge of tomorrow is easily 10-10’as you say, gets better on repeat watch. Watch, enjoy , repeat

I like AR, it almost felt like a role-playing game I used to play at the time, so different were the characters who were all forced to band together to try and survive.

Adam Sandler and Kevin James make it a film I'd avoid. Sandler and Cage are probably the actors I avoid the most.
I agree with you beating up people in cinemas for talking and being on phone.

I get why some don’t like Sandler or Cage but I’ve a soft spot for both.

Happy Gilemore and wedding singer are two of my favourite , rewatchable fun comedies from 90s. You can watch with kids aswell which is a bonus. He suits himself, even though he has shown he can act in punch drunk love and uncut gems. He doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously and it really riles up some of the more snobbish in Hollywood. Good luck to him.

Somebody mentioned pixels, which is objectively awful if an adult is going into it hoping to watch a children/adult quality movie. But children enjoy it and even though it is a bad movie, I learned to enjoy bits when they kept wanting to watch it.

Cage is a treasure. I loved raising Arizona back in the day and you’d do well to find an actor who has a list of 3 action movies in a row like the rock, con air and face off. Seriously put that bunny back in the box cause case closed on that.

Cages recent renewal is good to see, I remember being surprised to see him pop up in kick ass, I think cage going full cage has been enjoyable.

Cage is a treasure. I loved raising Arizona back in the day and you’d do well to find an actor who has a list of 3 action movies in a row like the rock, con air and face off. Seriously put that bunny back in the box cause case closed on that.

Cages recent renewal is good to see, I remember being surprised to see him pop up in kick ass, I think cage going full cage has been enjoyable.
I literally challenged my work colleagues to this. None found an answer that satisfied me. The stipulation was to find an actor with 3 action films in a row. So can't pick someone that did like a comedy in between.

I agree with you beating up people in cinemas for talking and being on phone.
Well asking, then telling them to put the fecking thing away. So more or less the same thing.
Happy Gilemore and wedding singer are two of my favourite , rewatchable fun comedies from 90s.
I didn't mind Happy Gilmore at the time but I saw it on TV recently and it hadn't aged well at all.
I like Raising Arizona although I wonder how well it has aged, and Con Air and The Rock were fun but Face/Off is one of my all time most hated film and one of only 2 where I have ever walked out of a cinema to make it stop. There was the odd OK early 2000's film like Matchstick Men, but mostly since then I have hated everything he is in. I now largely avoid his films and regret it when I don't.

Quiet Place: Day One was absolutely terrible.
The start of the film was ok, but soon the movie just got worse and worse scene by scene. How is it possible this level of writing or directing is okayed in a project that costs millions.

1/10