Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Just saw this last night.
Pretty good flick for a Saturday evening at home.
Good story about an ex USMC black guy that's wronged by an overwhelmingly white police department in small town Louisiana.

for me this is 8/10.

Did you think it lacked a bit more action....I am a Rambo fan,,so was expecting a lot of bloodshed..

Strangers on a Train is really good. The lady Vanishes too. My favourite is Psycho.

I think I love every Hithcock film i've seen but i couldn't pick between them. Maybe it was how i watched most of them, it was over 3 or 4 days around christmas and i must have watched a dozen or so, so they kind of blend together i guess. They're all great and still so watchable.

I fecking adore Psycho. Haven't seen the other two yet. The Birds is another of my favourites. Psycho is something else, though. I was a teenager when I saw it the first time and thought it was good, but it's the type of film that I think actually gets better with subsequent watches and actually ages well with you. As I've got older, I've loved various different aspects of the film.

The switch with the perspective of characters in this is excellent. You spend the first major chunk of the film following who you think is the main character, and then the film flips the whole thing on its head. Utterly groundbreaking shit. Imagine seeing that for the first time now without any knowledge of it or its homages/parodies/rip-offs, etc. I bet it would still blow people away.
There’s an author, Jason Pargin, who does short videos about interesting topics (can’t find it at the moment) but in one he talks about how audiences had never seen anything like Psycho before. As mentioned, the whole first hour of the film is a secretary scheming with her lover to rip off her employer, and a series of encounters as she’s driving to meet him where she almost gets caught a few times. The audience is watching what they think is a noirish crime film with a very well known actress. The morals of the day were also being tested with this story. Then out of nowhere Perkins and the shower. Apparently people were screaming and passing out from shock when it came out. We are almost completely desensitized at this point, but back then this was revolutionary.

Rebel Ridge was a positive surprise. Nothing groundbreaking, but really well made suspense. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

iu

Watched this the other night as a peacekeeping gesture. It's Italian travel p0rn, could have been made by the Visit Tuscany Travel Bureau. The thing I actually really liked about this film is how the main characters shift from Danish to Italian to English around and around. Makes you want to go to Italy. Exactly what it says on the poster/tin: there's beautiful sunsets, wheels of Parmesan cheese, a ride on a Vespa, lots of red wine, and some risotto.

VisitItaly/10

Rebel Ridge was a positive surprise. Nothing groundbreaking, but really well made suspense. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

It would have been less of a surprise if you’d watched his other movies. Green Room and Blue Ruin are excellent. So good that I was a little disappointed by Rebel Ridge. Which was fine but a level below those two.

It would have been less of a surprise if you’d watched his other movies. Green Room and Blue Ruin are excellent. So good that I was a little disappointed by Rebel Ridge. Which was fine but a level below those two.
It's not so much whether I've seen anything by the director as it is the fact that is a Netflix movie. It's much better than the average Netflix film, and I've seen a lot of them.

I've also seen Green Room and I liked this one better. So there's that.

It's not so much whether I've seen anything by the director as it is the fact that is a Netflix movie. It's much better than the average Netflix film, and I've seen a lot of them.

I've also seen Green Room and I liked this one better. So there's that.

Ah. Ok. It is better than the average Netflix movie. Which is a very low bar. Not a patch on Green Room though. In my opinion. Have you seen Blue Ruin? The best of the lot.

Ah. Ok. It is better than the average Netflix movie. Which is a very low bar. Not a patch on Green Room though. In my opinion. Have you seen Blue Ruin? The best of the lot.
I haven't, I guess since I didn't like Green Room that much I didn't really check out what the director had done before. I will put it on my watchlist.

I haven't, I guess since I didn't like Green Room that much I didn't really check out what the director had done before. I will put it on my watchlist.

It’s more of a slow burn than Green Room. So you may enjoy it more. Green Room is definitely a little full on. Rebel Ridge kind of fell between the two for me. Not as atmospheric as Blue Ruin and not as gnarly as Green Room. So left me a little disappointed, as I had high expectations. It’s still very good though. Miles better than the average Netflix film.

Last edited:
It’s more of a slow burn than Green Room. So you may enjoy it more. Green Room is definitely a little full on. Rebel Ridge kind of fell between the two for me. Not as atmospheric as Blue Ruin and not as gnarly as Green Room. So left me a little disappointed, as I had high expectations. It’s still very good though. Miles better than the average Netflix film.

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I'd agree it's better than Green Room myself but not as good as Blue Ruin. Maybe they should have named it Red Ridge and those three would be a color trio.

Beetlejuice
I'm such a bad parent. I showed this to my 7 year old and now she's having nightmares FML. I didn't realise it's a 12A rating. I watched Evil Dead and Exorcist at 7 though so maybe she needed this :lol:. Jokes on me as she is sleeping in my bed now. Great movie though! 7.5/10

Beetlejuice
I'm such a bad parent. I showed this to my 7 year old and now she's having nightmares FML. I didn't realise it's a 12A rating. I watched Evil Dead and Exorcist at 7 though so maybe she needed this :lol:. Jokes on me as she is sleeping in my bed now. Great movie though! 7.5/10
:lol:

One of my best movie watches ever was finding the vhs of Night Of The Living Dead(90’s remake)and struggle to sleeping for 2 days.

It’s a experience everyone should have to go through.

One of my best movie watches ever was finding the vhs of Night Of The Living Dead(90’s remake)and struggle to sleeping for 2 days.

I got traumatized as a kid by a show called Strange But True. It was reenactment show about famous haunts. That's where my obsession with The Enfield Poltergeist case came from and propelled me into a journey of watching non stop horror movies, looking for that feeling again. But instead of finding that feeling, I'm watching junk like The Devils Baby :lol:

Beetlejuice
An attempt was made.

I got traumatized as a kid by a show called Strange But True. It was reenactment show about famous haunts. That's where my obsession with The Enfield Poltergeist case came from and propelled me into a journey of watching non stop horror movies, looking for that feeling again. But instead of finding that feeling, I'm watching junk like The Devils Baby :lol:
Such powerful drug.

I watched the new Alien film with someone who isn’t into movies and the person was utterly terrified. Spent most of the film hiding under their jacket from screen and got caught by every jump scare. I wish I could experience movies like that.

But instead of finding that feeling, I'm watching junk like The Devils Baby :lol:

I'm very late to the party, but I watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this weekend and oooff what a movie! I loved the setting and the general vibe of the movie (Brad Pitt kicking Bruce Lee's ass was hilarious btw) and the ending was very surprising and satisfying.

8/10 for me

Jay Sebring: Is everybody okay?

Rick Dalton: Well... the feckin' hippies aren't. That's for goddamn sure.

We watched that one of at school when I was 11. Final year of primary school and we got to chose a film to watch, and somehow this came out. Horrible, couldn't sleep after. And I still hate gory horror, so it didn't help me any either. Just a bad memory really.

(I also wonder why the teacher thought this was age appropriate, but anyway!)

Rebel Ridge
A genuinely great movie. Not just a great Netflix effort. Not stellar, but perfectly paced, shot and put together. Entirely believable too. No over the top dramatic nonsense.

Aaron Pierre has every right to become a star. Great performance. Menacing & sensitive without it feeling forced.

Hell of a directorial job too. Cars behaved like cars and were shot at real world speeds but 50-70mph is actually really fast in reality. Fights were short and concluded sensibly, and felt impactful because of it.

The final showdown happening by daylight felt refreshing too.

Who’d have thought that an intelligent protagonist that doesn’t lose his mind would go over really well on screen.

Highly recommend.
8/10

Also - this is exactly how Jack Reacher films/shows could have been made, and been so much better for it.

Rebel Ridge
A genuinely great movie. Not just a great Netflix effort. Not stellar, but perfectly paced, shot and put together. Entirely believable too. No over the top dramatic nonsense.

Aaron Pierre has every right to become a star. Great performance. Menacing & sensitive without it feeling forced.

Hell of a directorial job too. Cars behaved like cars and were shot at real world speeds but 50-70mph is actually really fast in reality. Fights were short and concluded sensibly, and felt impactful because of it.

Who’d have thought that an intelligent protagonist that doesn’t lose his mind would go over really well on screen.

Highly recommend.
8/10

Also - this is exactly how Jack Reacher films/shows could have been made, and been so much better for it.

Except for the bit when he caught up with - and eventually overtook - a prison van on a pushbike.

Except for the bit when he caught up with - and eventually overtook - a prison van on a pushbike.

Fair. At a zero stakes part of the movie though. And did you see his thighs?

I’m going to let myself believe they’d been cruising at 30 and he gave it a big nudge. While talking. And fist bumping.

Tbf, they’d have done better for him to just hold onto the bus and roll with it.

Fair. At a zero stakes part of the movie though. And did you see his thighs?

I’m going to let myself believe they’d been cruising at 30 and he gave it a big nudge. While talking. And fist bumping.

Tbf, they’d have done better for him to just hold onto the bus and roll with it.

:lol: Yeah, basically anything other than what happened would have worked better. The bit leading up the the fist bump was almost farcical.

I liked this movie. But it had quite a few odd bits. That bike ride was one of them.
The way the main female protagonist was repeatedly given a smack overdose was another one. Just a strange narrative choice. Once, maybe. But twice? WTF?.
Then you had the bit where he dragged her out of the car and carried her into A&E. Despite her being conscious, sitting up and talking in the back of the car after getting Narcan. Like what else was he hoping they would do for her?! And in doing so he was leaving behind the poor bastard bleeding out with his finger jammed in his own femoral vein.

:lol: Yeah, basically anything other than what happened would have worked better. The bit leading up the the fist bump was almost farcical.

I liked this movie. But it had quite a few odd bits. That bike ride was one of them.
The way the main female protagonist was repeatedly given a smack overdose was another one. Just a strange narrative choice. Once, maybe. But twice? WTF?.
Then you had the bit where he dragged her out of the car and carried her into A&E. Despite her being conscious, sitting up and talking in the back of the car after getting Narcan. Like what else was he hoping they would do for her?! And in doing so he was leaving behind the poor bastard bleeding out with his finger jammed in his own femoral vein.

Yeah, the double effort at jabbing felt a little odd. But it made me properly detest the fella involved, rather than just dislike him. He becomes truly evil and kind of confirmed he was responsible for the first turn?

But then, could have let her jab him in the eye or stab him rather than push his face I reckon. Some kind of proper payback.

We watched that one of at school when I was 11. Final year of primary school and we got to chose a film to watch, and somehow this came out. Horrible, couldn't sleep after. And I still hate gory horror, so it didn't help me any either. Just a bad memory really.

(I also wonder why the teacher thought this was age appropriate, but anyway!)
That’s crazy! From what I remember it is far more gruesome and gory than the original(I think it’s special effect god directed by Tom Savini). Looking back I’m always surprised what my teachers used to do(I had film studies teacher who would only lets us watch the 2000 film Charlie’s Angles).

Reptile. A 2023 crime mystery thriller directed by Grant Singer, with Benicio del Toro, Alicia Silverstone, and many others. Del Toro plays a cop who moved to some smaller place because of corruption in his old job. When he meet him, he has to solve the weird murder of a realtor, where clues start pointing in complicated directions.

I thought it was pretty good. The film strongly aims to be unsettling, in the way it is shot and cut and through its soundtrack. That means there is constantly a kind of menace. Sometimes that menace turns out to be nothing and sometimes not, meaning that you don't get to relax a lot. I quite liked that approach. Del Toro and Silverstone are both great in this, and because of the ways scenes are built up, their characters keep surprising you through the little things they do - even if what actually happens does remain consistent for their characters. It's cool how that's done.

The murder mystery is also interesting and presented in a nicely tangled way that doesn't clear up until later. The conclusion is a bit disappointing though:
The shoot-out is handled as if it wipes the slate clean for Del Toro, but how is he going to explain what happened there? Also, lots of clues are left unresolved, like why the woman was stabbed so often or what's with the bite on her hands. I suppose that's normal in actual police cases, but in such a purposeful film where there isn't really any of the randomness of normal life, it feels like gap.
I don't want to think about these things too much though. I felt it was more of a vibes film, and I really liked it as such. They could have continued that for much longer still, as far as I'm concerned. 7/10

Last edited:
I'd largely avoided the Kneecap hype train, though I do like the little bits of their music I've heard, and I thought the movie was a blast. Funny, poignant, vulgar, everything you'd want, really.

Rebel Ridge was also pretty good despite being named like a bad B movie.

Reptile. A 2023 crime mystery thriller directed by Grant Singer, with Benicio del Toro, Alicia Silverstone, and many others. Del Toro plays a cop who moved to some smaller place because of corruption in his old job. When he meet him, he has to solve the weird murder of a realtor, where clues start pointing in complicated directions.

I thought it was pretty good. The film strongly aims to be unsettling, in the way it is shot and cut and through its soundtrack. That means there is constantly a kind of menace. Sometimes that menace turns out to be nothing and sometimes not, meaning that you don't get to relax a lot. I quite liked that approach. Del Toro and Silverstone are both great in this, and because of the ways scenes are built up, their characters keep surprising you through the little things they do - even if what actually happens does remain consistent for their characters. It's cool how that's done.

The murder mystery is also interesting and presented in a nicely tangled way that doesn't clear up until later. The conclusion is a bit disappointing though:
The shoot-out is handled as if it wipes the slate clean for Del Toro, but how is he going to explain what happened there? Also, lots of clues are left unresolved, like why the woman was stabbed so often or what's with the bite on her hands. I suppose that's normal in actual police cases, but in such a purposeful film where there isn't really any of the randomness of normal life, it feels like gap.
I don't want to think about these things too much though. I felt it was more of a vibe film, and I really like it as such. They could have continued that for much longer still, as far as I'm concerned! 7/10
Definitely vibes film. I felt they had another actor in mind before Del Toro, and when he took the gig he played it his way without them rewriting it for him. Del Toro played it like a cold blooded, methodical, unflappable hipster, and it wasn't really written that way. And Justin Timberlake sucked.

Definitely vibes film. I felt they had another actor in mind before Del Toro, and when he took the gig he played it his way without them rewriting it for him. Del Toro played it like a cold blooded, methodical, unflappable hipster, and it wasn't really written that way. And Justin Timberlake sucked.
I don't know what Singer had intended when he first wrote the script, but Del Toro seems to have been involved from the start of production and has a co-writing credit as well. I liked his performance actually - especially since I expected a certain kind of character based on what I usually see from Del Toro (which is maybe just my lack of exposure to his roles), and kept surprising me by being a more communicative and 'normal' character. Even if that was actually completely consistent within the character at all times.

I don't know what Singer had intended when he first wrote the script, but Del Toro seems to have been involved from the start of production and has a co-writing credit as well. I liked his performance actually - especially since I expected a certain kind of character based on what I usually see from Del Toro (which is maybe just my lack of exposure to his roles), and kept surprising me by being a more communicative and 'normal' character. Even if that was actually completely consistent within the character at all times.
I hadn't read that. So apparently I'm 100% wrong! I like Del Toro a lot. He's very watchable, he's never too showy or demonstrative, just that slow burn, like an old Hollywood star a la Robert Mitchum.

Rebel Ridge

Highly recommend.
8/10

Definitely a surprising film. Thought it would be a dumb action film, but it really isn’t. The main character has depth to his personality. His control over his emotions is palpable. I actually had to look him up afterwards, because he did a really great acting job but is built like Anthony Joshua. Not a common combo….the action figure stereotype, physically, but genuine acting chops.

Was amazed to find out he’s British and made his name doing Othello in British Theatre. He’s originally from Brixton, and only got the role because John Begoya walked out of filming. It’s a great break for him, and I can see him getting a lot of roles after this. When I first watched it he felt perfectly cast as a former US soldier/training instructor. I don’t think that many can carry off the accent as flawlessly as he did. This kid is gonna be a star.

Last edited:

I think the overdose was a plausible option, given her history, to eliminate her without direct police involvement.

That second part is quite funny. I almost felt like he was just on pure adrenaline overload at that point, and autopilot. He grabs her, then the axe to get the DVR, and he’s sort of looking around not sure what to do because he’s reached the end of this journey and he maybe wasn’t even sure he would get there. I’ll grant you that from a writing perspective it maybe didn’t make much sense for him to carry her in, but from a human and acting perspective I thought it played really well. As for the cop, the other cops were immediately helping him, which is why, I assume, they turned on the chief and gave them an escort in the first place….to save one of their own.

Twisters - The only interesting plot point, which genuinely could have been an interesting economical commentary was left to die. Everything else was also an unmitigated barrell of monkey shite.

0/10

Serious question for my movie-loving brethren: Do you think movies in the traditional sense are a dying art form?

For many years now, it has been in niche / prestige TV where the creative chances are being taken and new talent is being fostered. Audiences don't want to go to the cineplexes anymore, not only the cost, but also the social component to watching movies with crowds has disappeared and been replaced with talking teenagers texting, insanely loud effects, and a blizzard of pre-show commercials. Without the cineplex, what are movies when seen at home? Is there something special about the format (single dose, 90 to 100 minutes) that will survive?

Serious question for my movie-loving brethren: Do you think movies in the traditional sense are a dying art form?

For many years now, it has been in niche / prestige TV where the creative chances are being taken and new talent is being fostered. Audiences don't want to go to the cineplexes anymore, not only the cost, but also the social component to watching movies with crowds has disappeared and been replaced with talking teenagers texting, insanely loud effects, and a blizzard of pre-show commercials. Without the cineplex, what are movies when seen at home? Is there something special about the format (single dose, 90 to 100 minutes) that will survive?
I dunno about the industry as a whole but can speak to horror.

Horror does good ROI in cinema and even at home. I prefer the home experience and only go cinema occasionally as I get free tickets.

Watching a horror at home is far scarier than at a cinema. The cinema is good for jump scares like Insidious but popular horror movies attract the biggest filth when it comes to audiences and that just ruins the experience.

I think movies will eventually end up solely in streaming services and at that point, surely the big budget blockbusters will start to reduce. Can't see the art form die though.

Or AI programs like LUMA will get so good that people will create their own feature films and then we'll be left with a non stop shitty films.

I guess experiences of cineplexes vary. In my local one if I’m watching a movie aimed at adults the experience is fine. I also watch a fair few films in smaller, art house cinemas where everyone is impeccably behaved (and they have interesting food options too)