Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Would Scarlett Johansson count?
Definitely isn't the first name I'd count or think of but just thinking that it nearly seems more common for actresses to have that wide range. Scarlett Johansson feels like shes on the border where she always seems like a very similar character but the range of movies is still pretty impressive. You've got kind of robotic / alien performances from Ghost in the Shell and Under the Skin. You've got good drama roles with Lost in Translation and Marriage Story. Comedy roles with Jojo Rabbit and Wes Anderson movies
Tilda Swinton is a great shout.

Not sure if serious.

Don't get me wrong I'm no Gosling hater but to add him to a list of actors known for having "good range" seems like a piss take.

Drive, Lars And The Real Girl, Murder By Numbers, Barbie, Blue Valentine, La La Land, Blade Runner 2049, Only God Forgives, The Ides Of March, The Place Beyond The Pines, Crazy Stupid Love, The Big Short, The Notebook, All Good Things, The Fall Guy, The Nice Guys.

A shit ton of movies that are stylistically and tonally all over the place, with the lead actor being sole commonality. So, we have romantic comedy, straight drama, tough guy fighter, daft and amiable misfit, stud, conflicted hero, airhead, ruthless criminal, straight comedy.

That's range.

Watch Blue Valentine and then watch Lars And The Real Girl immediately following. Or Crazy Stupid Love followed by Drive.

Would Scarlett Johansson count?
Definitely isn't the first name I'd count or think of but just thinking that it nearly seems more common for actresses to have that wide range. Scarlett Johansson feels like shes on the border where she always seems like a very similar character but the range of movies is still pretty impressive. You've got kind of robotic / alien performances from Ghost in the Shell and Under the Skin. You've got good drama roles with Lost in Translation and Marriage Story. Comedy roles with Jojo Rabbit and Wes Anderson movies
Tilda Swinton is a great shout.
Johansson is very limited, definitely more "movie star" than daredevil actress.

She is brilliant. Another who hasn't been mentioned is Olivia Coleman.
I find Coleman insufferable for some reason. It’s odd isn’t it, some actors just seem to resonate with certain people and not others. To me, I just see the same character in every role, the same way others have been commenting about Pitt etc.

Olivia Coleman is just an Emma Thompson regen. Cambridge footlights, got famous alongside a fellow alum posh comedy double act before pivoting to beloved twee National Treasure who wins Oscars and turns up in everything.

Drive, Lars And The Real Girl, Murder By Numbers, Barbie, Blue Valentine, La La Land, Blade Runner 2049, Only God Forgives, The Ides Of March, The Place Beyond The Pines, Crazy Stupid Love, The Big Short, The Notebook, All Good Things, The Fall Guy, The Nice Guys.

A shit ton of movies that are stylistically and tonally all over the place, with the lead actor being sole commonality. So, we have romantic comedy, straight drama, tough guy fighter, daft and amiable misfit, stud, conflicted hero, airhead, ruthless criminal, straight comedy.

That's range.

Watch Blue Valentine and then watch Lars And The Real Girl immediately following. Or Crazy Stupid Love followed by Drive.
No that's not range. That's just different genres of movies. Ryan Gosling has 2 Goslings... Comedy Gosling (Barbie, Big Short, Fall Guy, Nice Guys) and Serious Gosling (the others) and there's really not that much difference between either of them.

No that's not range. That's just different genres of movies. Ryan Gosling has 2 Goslings... Comedy Gosling (Barbie, Big Short, Fall Guy, Nice Guys) and Serious Gosling (the others) and there's really not that much difference between either of them.

Apart from serious gosling is generally hilarious, and comedy gosling usually gets zero laughs.

Gosling reminds me of Brad Pitt in that although I don't think they're particularly great actors they're just so charming and watchable. I don't think Gosling has much acting talent but looks, charm and copying brando is a solid formula

Anyone ever see 'The Believer,' one of Gosling's first movies?

Have always heard good things about it.

I was wondering when you might show up.
bh187-conair.gif

Olivia Coleman is just an Emma Thompson regen. Cambridge footlights, got famous alongside a fellow alum posh comedy double act before pivoting to beloved twee National Treasure who wins Oscars and turns up in everything.
I bet you loved Yesterday.

I agree. Well, I don't know about those two specific types, but I do think Gosling does not play a wide range of personalities/characters. Almost always the quiet, distant dude, with some minor variations. (Although I could probably describe that better.) It's a character that fits a lot of very different contexts, but I don't think that makes Gosling have a lot of acting range, I'd say.

Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the all time greats, could easily be argued as one of the five best of all time. Christian Bale is a very good actor, but he's more of a top five actor of his generation I'd say.

As for who has good range? I guess that depends a bit on what one means with that. Tom Hardy I guess fits a bit that bill, at least with regards to the physicality of different roles. Otherwise I'd say Gary Oldman, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix fits the bill fairly well. There are a lot other actors as well, but I guess those would be a few very well known at least.

Hardy is the goat.

I find Coleman insufferable for some reason. It’s odd isn’t it, some actors just seem to resonate with certain people and not others. To me, I just see the same character in every role, the same way others have been commenting about Pitt etc.
Fair enough. I can't argue with it because art, in all its various forms, is entirely subjective. I actually wasn't a huge fan of hers for a while despite her being good in everything I saw her in (like Broadchurch). I started to warm up to her more in The Night Manager, where I thought she was excellent. But what really did it for me was The Father. Anthony Hopkins performance was so good as to blot out the sun, let alone a co-star, but yet she still really shone in that role. Her conveyance of emotions is absolutely top class as far as I am concerned.

But, like you, I have that annoyance factor with a few actors who other people like, and I just can't explain it. They get on my nerves.......

Peter Sarsgaard, good actor, but just can't stand him for some reason.
Jai Courtney. Seemed to turn up in everything for a while and I just find him to be a smug looking cnut.
Jennifer Lawrence. Annoys the hell out of me. Annoys me even more that people think she's attractive.
Gal Gadot. She doesn't annoy me, but people casting her in things does, when she quite clearly can't act. At all.
Yayah Adbul-Mateen II. Just gets on my nerves.
Casey Affleck. I want to like him. I think he's talented. But I just innately find him annoying.

It's also funny how your tastes or appreciation for actors can change over time. For example, I never used to like Colin Farrell. I thought he was awful. But In Bruges turned it around completely, and now I love him in almost everything he's in.

Fair enough. I can't argue with it because art, in all its various forms, is entirely subjective. I actually wasn't a huge fan of hers for a while despite her being good in everything I saw her in (like Broadchurch). I started to warm up to her more in The Night Manager, where I thought she was excellent. But what really did it for me was The Father. Anthony Hopkins performance was so good as to blot out the sun, let alone a co-star, but yet she still really shone in that role. Her conveyance of emotions is absolutely top class as far as I am concerned.

But, like you, I have that annoyance factor with a few actors who other people like, and I just can't explain it. They get on my nerves.......

Jai Courtney. Seemed to turn up in everything for a while and I just find him to be a smug looking cnut.
Jennifer Lawrence. Annoys the hell out of me. Annoys me even more that people think she's attractive.
Gal Gadot. She doesn't annoy me, but people casting her in things does, when she quite clearly can't act. At all.
Casey Affleck. I want to like him. I think he's talented. But I just innately find him annoying.

It's also funny how your tastes or appreciation for actors can change over time. For example, I never used to like Colin Farrell. I thought he was awful. But In Bruges turned it around completely, and now I love him in almost everything he's in.
Haha, certainly aligned on a lot of those!

Gal Gadot absolutely atrocious!

Think you’re probably right here. I guess it doesn’t matter all that much as long as they are aware of their limitations and select the right roles.

For the most part, I’ve absolutely loved goslings filmography over the last 20 years and think he’s been great in it, even if he isn’t pushing the boundaries with his performances.

Anyone ever see 'The Believer,' one of Gosling's first movies?

Have always heard good things about it.
yeah, I've seen it. True story about a Jewish kid who becomes a nazi skinhead. It has a made-for-TV feel to it, not bad, not great. Russell Crowe made a better nazi skinhead in Romper Stomper, Gosling isn't as cartoony as Gary Oldman as a nazi skinhead in Mean Time, and he's more believable than Edward Norton's nazi skinhead in American History X.
iu

yeah, I've seen it. True story about a Jewish kid who becomes a nazi skinhead. It has a made-for-TV feel to it, not bad, not great. Russell Crowe made a better nazi skinhead in Romper Stomper, Gosling isn't as cartoony as Gary Oldman as a nazi skinhead in Mean Time, and he's more believable than Edward Norton's nazi skinhead in American History X.
iu
Cool. Thanks for the synopsis. Started it last night & liked what I saw so far.

I think I asked this before but I'm trying to find this movie I saw as a kid:
• a tanker ship rescues a man from sea
• turns out he is some kind of a monster or a shapeshifter
• he wipes out the whole crew and sinks the ship and goes back into the sea and waits for the next ship to rescue him
• movie is pre 1990 IIRC, probably late 70's or early 80's

Saw it in France on a holiday, not sure if it was really French or just dubbed.
I was thinking it might be Death Ship (1980) but if there were no nazis in it, and it did not star George Kennedy, then nope. However, I did find this image: 4 Nigerian stowaways survived for 14 days on the rudder of a tanker at sea.

iu

The Fall Guy is actually brilliant. How on earth this does not make all the money?
Watched The Fall Guy last night with the family, as part of my ongoing servitude to Ryan Gosling.
A stuntman falls in love with a camera operator then suffers an on-set accident, and disappears from the world. 18 months later, he's brought back to save the film this camera operator is now directing. The actor the stuntman doubles for has gone missing, and the stuntman is tasked with finding him before the studio finds out and pulls the plug. Basically.

The good: an action-packed, entertaining, at times very funny, romantic comedy with compelling leads with tons of range. It's basically a love letter to stunt performers. Blunt is great. Gosling is great, possibly the greatest actor of his generation (or any generation). They have great chemistry. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was good as the Matthew McConnnaughey-esque dipshit actor. (Taylor-Johnson was the titular Kick-Ass, and is unrecognizable here).

The bad: I think they went too "meta" and were self-aware to the point of undermining their own stakes (that they relentlessly tried to raise). For example, they mention Comic Con and Hall H multiple times (as a goal for the film they are making), they reference a Miami Vice boat stunt, the stunt coordinator constantly says lines from old movies to Gosling (Rocky, Fast 'n Furious, Last of the Mohicans) but it's mildly amusing the first time and wearying by the 3rd 4th and 5th time. Hannah Waddingham plays the same annoying character she played on Ted Lasso, except she dials the annoying campy vampy horseshit up to 11. She had way too much screen time and was awful. The "plot" such as it is, is largely nonsensical, but not sure what anyone was expecting from a movie version of an 80s TV show about a stuntman bounty hunter.

The ugly: The overall problem with this film is it feels like it's been committee-d to death. Too many cooks. The tone makes the whole film feel like a low-stakes spoof, so when they try to amp up the stunts/action/danger, you never buy into it. Gosling's stuntman does the works: high falls, fire SFX, fight choreography, car jumping, you name it, but in this film-within-a-film he does it on the spot with zero prep (yes I get that it's a movie, but he shows up jet lagged without having read the script and immediately they light him on fire and smash him against a rock, 5 or 6 times). The problem with this movie in general is that we have "seen" a ton of crazy shit through CGI that didn't actually require amazing stonework, so when we see someone in this movie do a 150 foot high fall, or jump a car 200 feet, it's not apparent how amazing it is (if it is amazing at all). Lee Majors and Heather Thomas from the TV show have a cameo, which is... something.

Soundtrack was annoying AF, except for one part: the scene with Taylor Swift's "All Too Well" was really good. Elsewhere, they use a bunch of old incongruous rock songs (Kiss, The Darkness, Phil Collins, ACDC) and I'm not sure who that was supposed to appeal to, or why. Similar to referencing Miami Vice in the film - were they referencing the movie or the TV show, and other than shoehorning a boat stunt in, why? Who listens to Phil Collins in 2024? Or the motherfecking Darkness, a bad joke even when they first appeared? This led to tonal confusion. Incongruous does not equally zany or wacky hijinks.

I think the tone they were going for was something along the lines of Romancing The Stone, or maybe even Die Hard, where it's fun, fast, silly, and the danger is never too dangerous. 129 minutes is a bit indulgent, but I see now on the imdb page that there is an "extended cut with all new bonus scenes!" with an additional 20 minutes. 20 minutes more! I think anything over 2 hours has to be tight, and you have to really earn every single minute after the 2 hour mark, and this movie was not that.

Family friendly fare rating: 8/10
Normal movie goer rating: 6/10

Last edited:

Peter Sarsgaard - I enjoy him. I like that one never can tell if he's the good guy or bad guy in a movie.
Jai Courtney - no idea who this is (what is 'google'?).
Jennifer Lawrence - agree 100%!
Gal Gadot - otherworldly beauty in first Wonder Woman, don't know/care about her acting. :)
Yayah Abdul-Matten ii - no idea who this is.
Casey Affleck - it's that voice thing he does that is so grating.
Colin Farrell - he used to suck is why you didn't like him. Then he stopped drinking, got married, had a kid, grew up, changed. He's a good egg now, does a lot for people with kids who have special needs. And he's become a very good actor!

Think the only things I‘ve watched Farrell in was True Detectiv S2 and Batman. Both horrible productions imho so not really connected with him but did like him in the former while I tried to forget everything about that Batman flic.

Just watched Society of the Snow and thought it was incredible. But the whole time I was aware that I really had to suspend my disbelief that anyone could survive such a crash, never mind what followed after.

And now I found out it's a bloody true story! Is there any survival story as insane as this??

Just watched Society of the Snow and thought it was incredible. But the whole time I was aware that I really had to suspend my disbelief that anyone could survive such a crash, never mind what followed after.

And now I found out it's a bloody true story! Is there any survival story as insane as this??
The Killing Fields is pretty gnarly but in a different (mass murder) way.
Thirteen Lives is pretty incredible too.
Both true events.

Think the only things I‘ve watched Farrell in was True Detectiv S2 and Batman. Both horrible productions imho so not really connected with him but did like him in the former while I tried to forget everything about that Batman flic.
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Seven Psychopaths
Crazy Heart
Horrible Bosses
The Way Back
Ondine
In Bruges
A Home At the End of the World
Tigerland
Damn, forgot Banshees of Innisherin, but that’s a given, isn’t it?

Last edited:
Watched The Fall Guy last night with the family, as part of my ongoing servitude to Ryan Gosling.
A stuntman falls in love with a camera operator then suffers an on-set accident, and disappears from the world. 18 months later, he's brought back to save the film this camera operator is now directing. The actor the stuntman doubles for has gone missing, and the stuntman is tasked with finding him before the studio finds out and pulls the plug. Basically.

The good: an action-packed, entertaining, at times very funny, romantic comedy with compelling leads with tons of range. It's basically a love letter to stunt performers. Blunt is great. Gosling is great, possibly the greatest actor of his generation (or any generation). They have great chemistry. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was good as the Matthew McConnnaughey-esque dipshit actor. (Taylor-Johnson was the titular Kick-Ass, and is unrecognizable here).

The bad: I think they went too "meta" and were self-aware to the point of undermining their own stakes (that they relentlessly tried to raise). For example, they mention Comic Con and Hall H multiple times (as a goal for the film they are making), they reference a Miami Vice boat stunt, the stunt coordinator constantly says lines from old movies to Gosling (Rocky, Fast 'n Furious, Last of the Mohicans) but it's mildly amusing the first time and wearying by the 3rd 4th and 5th time. Hannah Waddingham plays the same annoying character she played on Ted Lasso, except she dials the annoying campy vampy horseshit up to 11. She had way too much screen time and was awful. The "plot" such as it is, is largely nonsensical, but not sure what anyone was expecting from a movie version of an 80s TV show about a stuntman bounty hunter.

The ugly: The overall problem with this film is it feels like it's been committee-d to death. Too many cooks. The tone makes the whole film feel like a low-stakes spoof, so when they try to amp up the stunts/action/danger, you never buy into it. Gosling's stuntman does the works: high falls, fire SFX, fight choreography, car jumping, you name it, but in this film-within-a-film he does it on the spot with zero prep (yes I get that it's a movie, but he shows up jet lagged without having read the script and immediately they light him on fire and smash him against a rock, 5 or 6 times). The problem with this movie in general is that we have "seen" a ton of crazy shit through CGI that didn't actually require amazing stonework, so when we see someone in this movie do a 150 foot high fall, or jump a car 200 feet, it's not apparent how amazing it is (if it is amazing at all). Lee Majors and Heather Thomas from the TV show have a cameo, which is... something.

Soundtrack was annoying AF, except for one part: the scene with Taylor Swift's "All Too Well" was really good. Elsewhere, they use a bunch of old incongruous rock songs (Kiss, The Darkness, Phil Collins, ACDC) and I'm not sure who that was supposed to appeal to, or why. Similar to referencing Miami Vice in the film - were they referencing the movie or the TV show, and other than shoehorning a boat stunt in, why? Who listens to Phil Collins in 2024? Or the motherfecking Darkness, a bad joke even when they first appeared? This led to tonal confusion. Incongruous does not equally zany or wacky hijinks.

I think the tone they were going for was something along the lines of Romancing The Stone, or maybe even Die Hard, where it's fun, fast, silly, and the danger is never too dangerous. 129 minutes is a bit indulgent, but I see now on the imdb page that there is an "extended cut with all new bonus scenes!" with an additional 20 minutes. 20 minutes more! I think anything over 2 hours has to be tight, and you have to really earn every single minute after the 2 hour mark, and this movie was not that.

Family friendly fare rating: 8/10
Normal movie goer rating: 6/10
Well done there! I think every review from now on should reference range somehow. :p

(Haven't see the film, so no idea otherwise!)

Watched this a few weeks back. Keoghan is incredible. Seven Psychopaths is a doozy too.

I'd add Phone Booth, Minority Report and The Lobster to your list.

I like him but ones you list I only liked him in Bruges much. Not seen all of them mind.
I think he’s definitely more of a supporting player than a lead. Even in In Bruges he had Brendan Gleeson to play off. There’s something that happens when a charming Irish guy loses their accent for some flat, affectless American accent, and it robs them of character. I think when he can use an Irish accent - even if it’s not his natural one - he’s vastly more interesting. Like in Banshees, he was really good. Ultimately I didn’t like that movie but he, Brendan, Barry, Kerry Condon - everyone was great (just hated the story).