- Oceans all of them
- Mr & Mrs Smith (in its way)
- Burn after reading
- Inglorious Basterds
- Money Ball
- Fury
- OAATIH
- Bullet Train

He’s great in all of them, even in the passable movies, and isn’t always the same guy. He’s out in some great performances in bad movies too, Ad Astra being a great example.

He’s infectious, goofy and playful lots of the time but the lad has range.
All decent to good and there's probably more. (Well, not all Oceans films are worth the time, it got stale real quick.) I still think he doesn't have great range, but most actors don't. And as I said before, put him in the right role and it'll work. For myself, I usually take it as a good sign if he's involved or behind a film.

And yes, I also liked Fury, and the Jesse James film is amazing.

Last edited:
2007. He used to be interesting but it’s been a long while.

Babylon
Once Upon A Time
Ad Astra
Bullet Train
The Lost City
War Machine
Allied
Fury
The Counselor

All very weak.
I mean, even if you believe they're all "very weak", which I don't, this is disconnected to the point about his charisma. It's a really weird point to make for me, there's a lot of films he's in that are pretty much carried by his presence.

Also slightly weird you forgot The Tree of Life, which is a superb film in which he's quite fascinating.

As Cheimoon said, he might not have amazing range, but he has a filmography spanning 5 decades now that many actors would kill for, and many iconic, beautiful roles. Saying he has no charisma is really surprising!

I mean, even if you believe they're all "very weak", which I don't, this is disconnected to the point about his charisma. It's a really weird point to make for me, there's a lot of films he's in that are pretty much carried by his presence.

Also slightly weird you forgot The Tree of Life, which is a superb film in which he's quite fascinating.

As Cheimoon said, he might not have amazing range, but he has a filmography spanning 5 decades now that many actors would kill for, and many iconic, beautiful roles. Saying he has no charisma is really surprising!
I was attempting to differentiate between Pitt of old and Pitt of the past 10-15 years, but I’ll let it go.

I was attempting to differentiate between Pitt of old and Pitt of the past 10-15 years.
The past 10-15 years have several beautiful charismatic performances, Tree of Life being one of them (it was 2011). Killing Them Softly came the following year. And I'm not sure how you can watch Once upon a time in Hollywood and not find him wonderful.

But as I said, if that's how you feel, sure!

Fury is even more shite than Allied.
Fury is worth the time investment.
Now I know, thanks!

Anyway, I'm sure there's much criticism that could be levelled at Brad Pitt, no charisma is not one of them as far as I am concerned. He's almost always fun to watch no matter if the movie is bad or his actual performance is flawed. Even though he might not have made as many good film as he used to these past 10 years, he's still done films like The Big Short, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and 12 years a Slave which all are good to great movies. He's also lately done Babylon and Bullet Train and both of them are very enjoyable and he's great in Bullet Train at least. But I guess if you dislike every movie he's done in the past 10-15 years he's not gonna be a very fun actor for you. Whether he's got range or not is not very important as he's a classic movie star and those doesn't really need that kind of range IMO.

I did hate The Tree of Life though. A big bag of pretentious crap.

Margot Robbie completely overshadowed everyone in that movie, I completely forgot he was in Babylon.

Now I know, thanks!

Anyway, I'm sure there's much criticism that could be levelled at Brad Pitt, no charisma is not one of them as far as I am concerned. He's almost always fun to watch no matter if the movie is bad or his actual performance is flawed. Even though he might not have made as many good film as he used to these past 10 years, he's still done films like The Big Short, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and 12 years a Slave which all are good to great movies. He's also lately done Babylon and Bullet Train and both of them are very enjoyable and he's great in Bullet Train at least. But I guess if you dislike every movie he's done in the past 10-15 years he's not gonna be a very fun actor for you. Whether he's got range or not is not very important as he's a classic movie star and those doesn't really need that kind of range IMO.

I did hate The Tree of Life though. A big bag of pretentious crap.
The range thing is also kind of a silly criticism. (Yes, I know it was me that brought it up!) I mean, most actors have a fairly limited comfort zone. When I start thinking about real range, I immediately end up with the top actors of a generation - meaning for me that real range is a top quality, not something you find commonly. So not having great range isn't really negative, obviously not everyone can have it all.

The range thing is also kind of a silly criticism. (Yes, I know it was me that brought it up!) I mean, most actors have a fairly limited comfort zone. When I start thinking about real range, I immediately end up with the top actors of a generation - meaning for me that real range is a top quality, not something you find commonly. So not having great range isn't really negative, obviously not everyone can have it all.
I mean it's silly and it's not, and he's played a wide variety of roles throughout his career - some will say he plays them the same way, some will say he doesn't, and then that defines "range". I don't feel I'm particularly seeing the same kind of performance between Jesse James and Burn after reading, so he definitely has some range (and I think his talent for comedy is sometimes slightly underrated). At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference really.

I mean it's silly and it's not, and he's played a wide variety of roles throughout his career - some will say he plays them the same way, some will say he doesn't, and then that defines "range". I don't feel I'm particularly seeing the same kind of performance between Jesse James and Burn after reading, so he definitely has some range (and I think his talent for comedy is sometimes slightly underrated). At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference really.
Well yeah, they're obviously not all the same role. I was more thinking of someone like Christian Bale when thinking of real range - but as I said, that's the exception rather than a serious yardstick to measure most actors by.

Well yeah, they're obviously not all the same role. I was more thinking of someone like Christian Bale when thinking of real range - but as I said, that's the exception rather than a serious yardstick to measure most actors by.
Well yes, they're not the same role, they're also wildly different interpretations. I don't feel he's doing the same thing, in different roles (like say a Christopher Walken).

Bale is a bit extreme in terms of his approach to acting but yeah he's absolutely one who's impressive in that regard.

Tbh so much of any actor performance is down to the director and editor. Both of them really control how a audience judges a actor.

Tbh so much of any actor performance is down to the director and editor. Both of them really control how a audience judges a actor.
Absolutely. And some directors are quite clearly terrible at this.

But you'd also imagine that someone like Bale can work on any kind of film, with any director, and pull off something interesting with the character he's portraying.

I'm really sorry I opened the Brad Pitt can of worms, fellas. All I meant to say, was that recently, he seems like he's sleepwalking through his roles. That's all.

:lol:
Absolutely. And some directors are quite clearly terrible at this.
Or even the opposite. Pasolini was such a god tier director that he could cast a random dude to play the leading role as Jesus and make it work.
But you'd also imagine that someone like Bale can work on any kind of film, with any director, and pull off something interesting with the character he's portraying.
Yep Bale done a pretty wide range of work from things like American Psycho, Terrence Malick and giant blockbusters. Although I still hate his Bateman voice!
I'm really sorry I opened the Brad Pitt can of worms, fellas. All I meant to say, was that recently, he seems like he's sleepwalking through his roles. That's all.

Never apologies in the movie review thread.

Or even the opposite. Pasolini was such a god tier director that he could cast a random dude to play the leading role as Jesus and make it work.

Yep Bale done a pretty wide range of work from things like American Psycho, Terrence Malick and giant blockbusters. Although I still hate his Bateman voice!

Bateman, or Batman? :D

:lol: :lol: Doon I faeking went, aye.

Bateman, or Batman? :D
Both! It’s what the people demand!
the-bateman-v0-pxviq1zkb8m81.jpg

Bale in The Machinist was quite something to behold as well.

I worry about him sometimes.
Probably the most extreme I’ve never seen someone go to play a role. I guess he likes the challenge which is kind of crazy.

How do you all compare Christian Bale with Daniel Day Lewis? I’m not a movie connoisseur so those are the only two actors ai could list off the top of my head with that level of range. I’d like to think Jim Carey has range but I might get crucified to mention him alongside the others. Who else falls into this category?

How do you all compare Christian Bale with Daniel Day Lewis? I’m not a movie connoisseur so those are the only two actors ai could list off the top of my head with that level of range. I’d like to think Jim Carey has range but I might get crucified to mention him alongside the others. Who else falls into this category?
Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the all time greats, could easily be argued as one of the five best of all time. Christian Bale is a very good actor, but he's more of a top five actor of his generation I'd say.

As for who has good range? I guess that depends a bit on what one means with that. Tom Hardy I guess fits a bit that bill, at least with regards to the physicality of different roles. Otherwise I'd say Gary Oldman, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix fits the bill fairly well. There are a lot other actors as well, but I guess those would be a few very well known at least.

Last edited:
Yeah, Jim Carrey is surprising in that regard actually. From Ace Ventura to Cable Guy to Man on the Moon to Eternal Sunshine is quite a lot variety.
Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the all time greats, could easily be argued as one of the five best of all time. Christian Bale is a very good actor, but he's more of a top five actor of his generation I'd say.

As for who has good range? I guess that depends a bit on what one means with that. Tom Hardy I guess fits a bit that bill, at least with regards to the physicality of different roles. Otherwise I'd say Gary Oldman, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix fits the bill fairly well. There are a lot other actors as well, but I guess those would be a few very well known at least.
I thought of those names as well, but what bothers me is that they're all men. Who are the equivalent great actresses? (And why don't their names come up just as easily?) I'm thinking of Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett, Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, maybe now also Emma Stone and Jessica Chastain. What do you say?

Gary Oldman and Philip Seymour Hoffman for sure, as mentioned by Coop. I’d add DeNiro to that list, and Russell Crowe. Add Ben Kingsley. Add Ryan Gosling. Adding Matt Damon. Adding Viggo Mortensen.

Joaquin I would leave off, and Jim Carrey is just a solid no from me. Daniel Day-Lewis disappears into his roles but I’m not sure that equals good acting, but he certainly has range and transforms himself. DDL is a brilliant actor, but I’m not sure his total devotion to becoming the character he’s playing is the reason why he’s so good.

Bale is willing to get to self-flagellating extremes but also I’m not sure they are necessary. In The Machinist, he dropped so much weight he was in danger of organ failure. Every movie you’ve seen about German concentration camps probably did not have that level of fealty to reality but they worked regardless, so I’m not sure about stunt acting and method acting.

I think Brian Cox remarked on Jeremy Strong being “method” and in character even while not filming, and he said words to the effect of that being a waste of time and making it difficult to be around him, while allowing for Strong’s method to be Strong’s choice.

Last edited:
Yeah, Jim Carrey is surprising in that regard actually. From Ace Ventura to Cable Guy to Man on the Moon to Eternal Sunshine is quite a lot variety.

I thought of those names as well, but what bothers me is that they're all men. Who are the equivalent great actresses? (And why don't their names come up just as easily?) I'm thinking of Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett, Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep, maybe now also Emma Stone and Jessica Chastain. What do you say?
Frances McDormand, Kathy Bates, Emily Blunt, Rosamund Pike, Hillary Swank, Charlize Theron, Eva Green, Julianne Moore, Amy Smart, Jodie Foster, Sigourney Weaver, Brie Larson, Jane Fonda. An actor can be good without a lot of range, like Emma Stone for me - I love her but she plays the goofy girl who doesn’t know how hot she is almost exclusively. Anne Hathaway is the same, Natalie Portman also to a large degree. I love them but they aren’t going to be believable as the shlubby chick, the neurosurgeon, and the beauty queen. Some find ways to hide their outer beauty.

A lot of male actors are the same. I have always like Jeff Bridges but he has zero range. Clint Eastwood too. Someone was mentioning Pitt was a movie star and not simply an actor, and I think that’s very true. An actor can become an archetype - “get me a Brad Pitt type “ - and they hold the screen because they are eminently watchable, but for me a lot of actors (male and female) are pretty faces who don’t emote much. Tom Cruise, for instance, is amazing at what he does but zero range.

Last edited:
To the actresses Wing named, I'd add Saoirse Ronan and Michelle Williams. I also adore Carey Mulligan, but not sure she quite fits this bill even though I think she's one of the best working actresses in Hollywood right now.

To the actresses Wing named, I'd add Saoirse Ronan and Michelle Williams. I also adore Carey Mulligan, but not sure she quite fits this bill even though I think she's one of the best working actresses in Hollywood right now.
Carey Mulligan was fantastic in Drive. She had such an aura about her in that. (Also featuring my boy Gosling.)

I’ve always been a big fan of Javier Bardem

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
It's a decent adventure movie with some interesting themes (that aren't fully explored). Some of the CGI seemed a bit ropey but on the whole, it's a fun adventure. My main issue with the film was the main human character, her motivations and how we're meant to feel about her. It became a bit confusing with that character. Also felt the main ape was a bit boring and very reactive. The villain was good though and the action set-pieces were really enjoyable 6.5/10