Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

ryan-gosling-cereal.gif
My god that’s amazing! You get that he has some past trauma from corn flakes. Look at his eye twitch! Then he blinks - twice - then he moves his head. It’s incredible! Have you ever seen DeNiro sell antipathy to corn flakes like this? No you have not.

Last edited:
I saw the film Suzhou River. Wears its influences on its sleeve, there's some Wong Kar-wai in there and quite a bit of Vertigo. On paper it should really be up my alley and it did start of promising. Unfortunately it just kind of cruised from there into a mildly satisfying ending. It's definitely a competently made film, the structure of it is nice and it's admirably short but it never really elevates into something more. 6/10

I also watched Coffe and Cigarettes. Jarmusch isn't really my favorite director, so I haven't really dug deep into his filmography but this has always been on my radar as something I should watch some day. I particularly enjoyed the Coogan/Molina and GZA/RZA/Murray scenes. It's generally an enojyable film, a few quite good performances and Jarmusch does have a special visual flair. 7/10

You haven't even begun to peak.

Laughing at Children of Men is a new low, @Sweet Square will find you and he will kill you. He has a particular set of skills.
MV5BNjhlNmZjOWYtNDllZC00NmEzLWJiODYtMmMwZjA5Mzk1NTBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIwODk1NTQ@._V1_.jpg

Perfect film. I’m also realising I’m turning into the Clive Owen character. Ok without his stunning good looks and I haven’t got a ex wife like Julianne Moore but…we’ll I have a London 2012 olympics jacket and drink whiskey.

I saw the film Suzhou River. Wears its influences on its sleeve, there's some Wong Kar-wai in there and quite a bit of Vertigo. On paper it should really be up my alley and it did start of promising. Unfortunately it just kind of cruised from there into a mildly satisfying ending. It's definitely a competently made film, the structure of it is nice and it's admirably short but it never really elevates into something more. 6/10
Agree. I love the intro but it never really get better than that. The dream/ambient vibe and pov style were cool aspects.

Imo it’s best viewed by having it on in the background while doing other stuff.

Good enough for us. You're basically him.
:lol:

I’ll take that.

The Insider

Film on a tobacco whistleblower and American corporate news. Making the same film over and over again would be for most directors a criticism or a death sentence but yet Micheal Mann continues to produce brilliant work.

We are at peak divorced dad cinema here. So many shots of men staring long into the distance. Mann brings his tactile nerd film making into late 90’s office rooms. Every chunky phone button is felt and thick telephone directories sound like gun shots when slammed down against coffee stained tables. Really a 59 year old man shouting into a giant mobile phone while wearing shorts shouldn’t look so beautiful but my god does this director know how to film a beach scene.

On the surface Al Pacino appears to be replaying his role from Heat but replacing a police badge with a copy of the New York Times. Yet there’s a moment early on showing the character to be a failed radical from the 60’s student movement(Famed marxist Herbert Marcuse gets a shout out). Later Pacino as a form of rebellion deludes himself into continuing to work for corporate news. A perfect summary of how the 60’s generation ended up.

Russell Crowe is brilliant. Different to the standard Mann leading role as Crowe can’t stand the moral implications of his work. And a shout out to Micheal Gambon who puts on one of the worst America accent ever recorded.

It’s also Mann at his most misogynistic. Woman are disgusted by the pursuit of truth especially when it relegates them to a middle class lifestyle! There is one scene where group of men slowly manplain to Gina Gerishon why lying is bad.

Mann takes away all the idealised liberal notions about news journalism and replaces it with cold blunt materialism. A must watch.

DlO4nGQW4AE5_8m

10/10

I also watched Coffe and Cigarettes. Jarmusch isn't really my favorite director, so I haven't really dug deep into his filmography but this has always been on my radar as something I should watch some day. I particularly enjoyed the Coogan/Molina and GZA/RZA/Murray scenes. It's generally an enojyable film, a few quite good performances and Jarmusch does have a special visual flair. 7/10
Down By Law, Mystery Train, Dead Man I can recommend. His is a very no-frills, indie, understated, static style of filmmaking. Character and setting over plot. Mood and vibe over spectacle. Some of his stuff is great, some is so amateurish it’s shocking.

The Insider

Film on a tobacco whistleblower and American corporate news. Making the same film over and over again would be for most directors a criticism or a death sentence but yet Micheal Mann continues to produce brilliant work.

We are at peak divorced dad cinema here. So many shots of men staring long into the distance. Mann brings his tactile nerd film making into late 90’s office rooms. Every chunky phone button is felt and thick telephone directories sound like gun shots when slammed down against coffee stained tables. Really a 59 year old man shouting into a giant mobile phone while wearing shorts shouldn’t look so beautiful but my god does this director know how to film a beach scene.

On the surface Al Pacino appears to be replaying his role from Heat but replacing a police badge with a copy of the New York Times. Yet there’s a moment early on showing the character to be a failed radical from the 60’s student movement(Famed marxist Herbert Marcuse gets a shout out). Later Pacino as a form of rebellion deludes himself into continuing to work for corporate news. A perfect summary of how the 60’s generation ended up.

Russell Crowe is brilliant. Different to the standard Mann leading role as Crowe can’t stand the moral implications of his work. And a shout out to Micheal Gambon who puts on one of the worst America accent ever recorded.

It’s also Mann at his most misogynistic. Woman are disgusted by the pursuit of truth especially when it relegates them to a middle class lifestyle! There is one scene where group of men slowly manplain to Gina Gerishon why lying is bad.

Mann takes away all the idealised liberal notions about news journalism and replaces it with cold blunt materialism. A must watch.

DlO4nGQW4AE5_8m

10/10
Crowe was exceptional in this too. Brilliant film.

I saw the movie Queen of Diamonds. Reminded me a bit of the the Taiwanese film Days in how it tested my patience. These kind of tedious, monotone films just doesn't work for me. At least it was short and I guess had a few nice shots as well. The more than 15 minute long black jack scene was impressive though, but maybe for the wrong reasons. 3/10
Down By Law, Mystery Train, Dead Man I can recommend. His is a very no-frills, indie, understated, static style of filmmaking. Character and setting over plot. Mood and vibe over spectacle. Some of his stuff is great, some is so amateurish it’s shocking.
Yeah, definitely a lot of mood and vibe going on in his movies. I did like Stranger Than Paradise in that way. Anyway, I have seen Dead Man, which I liked, but I will watch Down By Law as it seems to be on MUBI. Mystery Train look interesting as well, will keep an eye when it pops up on any streaming services.

The Insider

DlO4nGQW4AE5_8m

10/10
I have a very close familial relationship with the Scuggs family (the lawyer whose first scene was answering the phone in the airplane) & was able to get on the set of this scene, it was shot in Dickie's actual Pascagoula house & property. I would basically spend a month in the summer on the coast of Mississippi while I was growing up, a good amount of it at that same house (which Katrina took down to foundation). My aunt was able to attend the 72nd Oscars ceremony with Dickie & Diane (his wife who is the sister of Trent Lott's wife). Dickie's law firm handled some of the biggest class action suits of his time - asbestos, Big Pharma, & Katrina) along with taking on Big Tobacco.

His fall from grace was sudden & sad, he was charged with bribing a circuit court judge in Mississippi (he tried to give him $40K to rule on a compensation issue stemming from the Katrina settlement). It was over peanuts & it got his son jail time as well.

Here's a good synopsis of the heights of his law career & his tumble...

https://www.npr.org/2010/12/22/132081455/an-attorneys-fall-from-billionaire-to-inmate

Killing Them Softly. A 2012 neo-noir crime drama by Andrew Dominik. Some small criminals rob a criminal card game and Brad Pitt comes in to make sure there are consequences.

It's both great and a bit nothing-y. The overall tone is good and I like the neo-noir angle, where everything is a lame negotiation, like any office work - except it's about murder. The cast is great also. But the movie is just too full of itself. Several conservations drag on forever without actually getting interesting or just fun, and various style choices make no sense in terms of the tone of the film (a gunshot slo-mo'd and repeated 10 times; a totally stoned discussion). The political context on the radio also has very limited actual bearing on the film, while the irony of it wears thing very quickly. But then there are also some good lines and points made. So 3/5 overall.

I saw the movie Queen of Diamonds. Reminded me a bit of the the Taiwanese film Days in how it tested my patience. These kind of tedious, monotone films just doesn't work for me. At least it was short and I guess had a few nice shots as well. The more than 15 minute long black jack scene was impressive though, but maybe for the wrong reasons. 3/10

Yeah, definitely a lot of mood and vibe going on in his movies. I did like Stranger Than Paradise in that way. Anyway, I have seen Dead Man, which I liked, but I will watch Down By Law as it seems to be on MUBI. Mystery Train look interesting as well, will keep an eye when it pops up on any streaming services.
If you’re a Tom Waits fan you’ll love it. I don’t know if it’s mandatory in order to dig this film but it certainly helps. The black and white photography is really amazing too, like in Dead Man. DBL is my favorite Jarmusch film.

It’s not a comedy in the traditional sense.
It is a dark comedy with some very very funny bits.
Children Of Men was very funny and I laughed in it more than in actual comedies, but it wasn’t a comedy. Similar to In Bruges. I really didn’t think it was a comedy, but then again Ive seen Banshees also described as a comedy. If it’s binary and you have to choose comedy or tragedy, maybe. I don’t remember it being something I’d describe as a comedy.
Children of Men a comedy? Huh? Maybe not as great a dystopian thriller as it is often made out to be but a comedy? Banshees is also a black comedy albeit not a very successful one imo.

Last edited:
It is a dark comedy with some very very funny bits.

Children of Men a comedy? Huh? Maybe not as great a dystopian thriller as it is often made out to be but a comedy? Banshees is also a black comedy albeit not a very successful one imo.
I’m saying Children of Men had some very funny parts but was not a comedy per se. I just didn’t like Banshees, despite great performances in it.

I’m saying Children of Men had some very funny parts but was not a comedy per se. I just didn’t like Banshees, despite great performances in it.
I don't remember any funny bit in Children of Men but it has been a while since I watched it. Agreed about Banshees.

A wild couple of pages I tell you!!

Children of men is a dystopia with some moments of levity, but absolutely not a comedy. Banshees and In Bruges are both dark comedies.
The Insider

DlO4nGQW4AE5_8m

10/10
Glad you liked it! It's such a great film.

And here I am finding Children of Men pretty average. Granted, I watched it at a time where I also saw Solaris, Stalker and probably Moon within a couple of weeks but never understood the underlying hype for CoM.

Trap
Enjoyed this, the trailer had me very excited to see it because I thought it was such a great concept.

And it doesn't let you down, lots of twists and turns as you try and work out if/how he will escape the arena.

Probably my most anticipated film of the year based on trailers and it didn't let me down, would recommend.

8/10

Just watched Society of the Snow and thought it was incredible. But the whole time I was aware that I really had to suspend my disbelief that anyone could survive such a crash, never mind what followed after.

And now I found out it's a bloody true story! Is there any survival story as insane as this??
If you get chance do watch Alive: 20 Years Later which is a documentary film about the crash with interviews from survivors.

And here I am finding Children of Men pretty average. Granted, I watched it at a time where I also saw Solaris, Stalker and probably Moon within a couple of weeks but never understood the underlying hype for CoM.
One of the best films of the past 23 years. Ageing like fine wine.

I watched it again a fortnight ago. It’s even better now than it was on release. It’s an exceptional film.

Dude. That's worse than what's @Wing Attack Plan R has been up to for the past few pages.

Just watched Alien again for the 1000th time yesterday. It was my partner's first time. Now we're set for an Alien binge :p

Just watched Alien again for the 1000th time yesterday. It was my partner's first time. Now we're set for an Alien binge :p

I’m of the somewhat controversial opinion that all of them are good movies. I appreciate some of them can only exist on their own due to what came before. But without being forever compared to the all-timers that are Alien and Aliens, the others look a lot better (omitting the quite silly Predator mash ups)

We just finished ours!

Alien is pretty much perfect. The atmosphere, the slow build until the first chest burst, the omnipresent menace of the xenomorph, the use of the space on the ship, the final showdown between the alien and Ripley... It's all quite wonderful and suspenseful from start to finish.

I'm actually not a massive fan of Aliens which is a little bit too much 80s Reagan cliché action, with particularly one unsufferable character, but in terms of action films, it's very good. I just don't think action is the best mix with Alien, but I know it's a few people's favourite.

I have a lot of fondness for Alien 3 in its "assembly cut" version - it's imperfect, sure, but I love the vibe of the film and while it's quite clear from the edit it's a film that suffered from production issues, it's closer to the atmosphere I enjoy. The cast is quite good in it and it has a grittiness I love.

I didn't enjoy Alien Resurrection at all. I've always found JP Jeunet to be overrated, and beyond the amazement of seeing Dominique Pinon in a sci-fi action film, it really doesn't offer much. I also find the aliens in this one a lot less menacing than in the other films, and the characters are cliché cardboard cut-outs. The whole premise is a bit stupid and it never really kicks into full gear.

So, then comes Prometheus, or its unofficial title "stupid people doing stupid things". In general I'm not one to nitpick too much about script realism, and I'm a big believer in suspension of disbelief, but this one really goes beyond any acceptable tolerance in that regard. It starts off nicely, the film looks great, and while early on you realise the characters aren't going to be deep and interesting, there was still a way to achieve what the film set out to do without the levels of idiocy displayed onscreen. It's an aesthetically pleasing object, with very little beneath the surface.

We finished the binge with Alien Covenant which I stomehow am not sure whether I'd seen it before. I felt it was somewhat better than Prometheus, but it suffered the same issue of having characters ignoring the most basic common sense. The whole sequence when they're back at the place David set up camp is particularly stupid. Oh, and Danny McBride is pretty bad in it, unsurprisingly.

Overall, characters seem to have gotten more and more stupid with passing films, and some of the writing basics such as finding a way to have things happen somewhat organically, or the usage of space (in the last 3 films, you don't really understand where things or people are, it's messy), are completely disregarded. Real shame.

We just finished ours!

Alien is pretty much perfect. The atmosphere, the slow build until the first chest burst, the omnipresent menace of the xenomorph, the use of the space on the ship, the final showdown between the alien and Ripley... It's all quite wonderful and suspenseful from start to finish.

I'm actually not a massive fan of Aliens which is a little bit too much 80s Reagan cliché action, with particularly one unsufferable character, but in terms of action films, it's very good. I just don't think action is the best mix with Alien, but I know it's a few people's favourite.

I have a lot of fondness for Alien 3 in its "assembly cut" version - it's imperfect, sure, but I love the vibe of the film and while it's quite clear from the edit it's a film that suffered from production issues, it's closer to the atmosphere I enjoy. The cast is quite good in it and it has a grittiness I love.

I didn't enjoy Alien Resurrection at all. I've always found JP Jeunet to be overrated, and beyond the amazement of seeing Dominique Pinon in a sci-fi action film, it really doesn't offer much. I also find the aliens in this one a lot less menacing than in the other films, and the characters are cliché cardboard cut-outs. The whole premise is a bit stupid and it never really kicks into full gear.

So, then comes Prometheus, or its unofficial title "stupid people doing stupid things". In general I'm not one to nitpick too much about script realism, and I'm a big believer in suspension of disbelief, but this one really goes beyond any acceptable tolerance in that regard. It starts off nicely, the film looks great, and while early on you realise the characters aren't going to be deep and interesting, there was still a way to achieve what the film set out to do without the levels of idiocy displayed onscreen. It's an aesthetically pleasing object, with very little beneath the surface.

We finished the binge with Alien Covenant which I stomehow am not sure whether I'd seen it before. I felt it was somewhat better than Prometheus, but it suffered the same issue of having characters ignoring the most basic common sense. The whole sequence when they're back at the place David set up camp is particularly stupid. Oh, and Danny McBride is pretty bad in it, unsurprisingly.

Overall, characters seem to have gotten more and more stupid with passing films, and some of the writing basics such as finding a way to have things happen somewhat organically, or the usage of space (in the last 3 films, you don't really understand where things or people are, it's messy), are completely disregarded. Real shame.
Who's the unsufferable character in Aliens, Paxton?

Got my ticket to the world's largest IMAX, two actually. I like having a seat open next to me for the snacks.

100% agreed. It feels like films of this ilk concentrate more on holding an up-tempo pace than they do on any kind of real world grounding. It kind of removes any sense of jeopardy as you’re forever in a state of observing rather than immersion.

It is far more terrifying to witness regular people making understandable small mistakes from a point of safety, and that having an outsized punishment. Seeing people scared out of their minds, act in a way that no human ever would… it turns you into an observer. It not fight or flight response. It’s unnatural.

Outside of the Alien discussion, but this Gleeson scene is the best example that my brain is serving me right now.

From a calm point of safety and reset, through innocuously casual, switching to instant jeopardy and intense peril, all in less than two minutes.

Who's the unsufferable character in Aliens, Paxton?

Got my ticket to the world's largest IMAX, two actually. I like having a seat open next to me for the snacks.
Vasquez.

Oh that's some serious commitment to the snacks, I admire that.
100% agreed. It feels like films of this ilk concentrate more on holding an up-tempo pace than they do on any kind of real world grounding. It kind of removes any sense of jeopardy as you’re forever in a state of observing rather than immersion.

It is far more terrifying to witness regular people making understandable small mistakes from a point of safety, and that having an outsized punishment. Seeing people scared out of their minds, act in a way that no human ever would… it turns you into an observer. It not fight or flight response. It’s unnatural.

Outside of the Alien discussion, but this Gleeson scene is the best example that my brain is serving me right now.

From a calm point of safety and reset, through innocuously casual, switching to instant jeopardy and intense peril, all in less than two minutes.

Totally agree with of this.

I have a very close familial relationship with the Scuggs family (the lawyer whose first scene was answering the phone in the airplane) & was able to get on the set of this scene, it was shot in Dickie's actual Pascagoula house & property. I would basically spend a month in the summer on the coast of Mississippi while I was growing up, a good amount of it at that same house (which Katrina took down to foundation). My aunt was able to attend the 72nd Oscars ceremony with Dickie & Diane (his wife who is the sister of Trent Lott's wife). Dickie's law firm handled some of the biggest class action suits of his time - asbestos, Big Pharma, & Katrina) along with taking on Big Tobacco.
Amazing story. Really cool to know they used they actual guy house. detail about the using the guy real house for the film.

One of my favourite parts was how the film shows the competing interests. Especially for us non American we mostly get media showing everyone in the south to be ultra conservative/pro business.

Must have been pretty incredible for your Auntie to attend the awards. Still crazy to me that Micheal Mann has never won an Oscar.

What did you think of the film ?
His fall from grace was sudden & sad, he was charged with bribing a circuit court judge in Mississippi (he tried to give him $40K to rule on a compensation issue stemming from the Katrina settlement). It was over peanuts & it got his son jail time as well.

Here's a good synopsis of the heights of his law career & his tumble...

https://www.npr.org/2010/12/22/132081455/an-attorneys-fall-from-billionaire-to-inmate
His life sounds like it make for interesting film.
Glad you liked it! It's such a great film.
Thanks. I went in expecting to like it because it’s Mann movie but it exceed all my expectations. The tension when Crowe finds the bullet in the mailbox was something else.

It depends which stupid decisions you had in mind, but some are the result of having footage deleted that explained actions or offered more context. Some, not all, or even "most".

For instance, there is a deleted scene where Milburn, the biologist, encounters the hammerpede, and it's harmless. Then the second time he interacts with it, it snaps his arm off. So in the film, he looks incredibly stupid and naive, but in the original imagining he was simply repeating a safe behavior.

Most of the deleted scenes appear to have been deleted for the reason that they were even more shit than the scenes they left in.

Our first alien

Millburn bags an alien.

In this added scene, Millburn discovers an indigenous worm in some black liquid. He's enthusiastic about it as mankind has never discovered extraterrestrial life larger than bacteria before, and he puts one of the creatures into a container to study back on the ship. This footage expands on Millburn's character, helping to explain why he so brazenly interacts with the Hammerpede later on, and also makes it clear that the worms are indigenous creatures to LV-223 and that the dark liquid is responsible for mutating them.

Explanation of deleted scenes: https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Prometheus_deleted_scenes

Some thoughts on the dumb decisions: https://a-a-birdsall.medium.com/ridley-scotts-prometheus-and-the-idiot-plot-bd82ee2ff728