Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Sully. 2016 film by Clint Eastwood about the Miracle on the Hudson, the 2009 successful emergency landing of a US Airways plane on the Hudson in New York. Tom Hanks plays Captain Sully and Aaron Eckhart the First Officer.

It's almost a documentary in how closely it sticks to the actual events; they just exaggerate the behaviour of the investigation committee (making them appear antagonistic) to introduce drama to the film. As such, it's a little lame conceptually, but Hanks is great in this and the film moves along nicely, plus it's always nice to see a drama turn out well, so I enjoyed it anyway. 3/5

Oppenheimer. This doesn't need any introduction. Personally, I didn't see the brilliance. Various aspects of it (like cinematography and the acting) are obviously excellent, but I thought the story left a lot to be desired.

In particular, I thought the structure, with the Oppenheimer biography being presented within the framework of a double procedural thriller (the 1954 AEC and 1959 senate hearings) was contrived and didn't help the plot. It confuses the story, creates a kind of mystery that's not actually mysterious, and also means the film actually has to continue for another 40 or so minutes after the bomb has exploded and we have learned that Oppenheimer is now developing a different moral perspective on things. To me, that felt like a neverending outro for which I care very little.

In fact, I would argue the whole Strauss component can be struck - but clearly, Nolan was unable to omit basically anything from Oppenheimer's story. Except, of course, for the women involved (as usual with Nolan): they are underrepresented among the scientists and in Los Alamos, and his wife and lover have barely any personality, serving just to trigger emotions and psychology. I also didn't care for the little brain flashes all the time, didn't like the music (too restless and noisy, attempting to create tension and/or menace in almost every scene), and thought Einstein was used weirdly.

If Nolan had created a more focused film, this could have been great. Instead, I feel it rather failed its potential, and I just don't understand why this was hyped the way it was. 3/5

I think I asked this before but I'm trying to find this movie I saw as a kid:
• a tanker ship rescues a man from sea
• turns out he is some kind of a monster or a shapeshifter
• he wipes out the whole crew and sinks the ship and goes back into the sea and waits for the next ship to rescue him
• movie is pre 1990 IIRC, probably late 70's or early 80's

Saw it in France on a holiday, not sure if it was really French or just dubbed.

'76. A 2016 Nigerian thriller drama about a military man that is falsely accused of in involvement in the 1976 attempted coup in Nigeria.

I felt it's all a bit clumsy: the acting, various plots turns, a number of scenes - I wouldn't recommend this. 1/5

Last edited:
I think I asked this before but I'm trying to find this movie I saw as a kid:
• a tanker ship rescues a man from sea
• turns out he is some kind of a monster or a shapeshifter
• he wipes out the whole crew and sinks the ship and goes back into the sea and waits for the next ship to rescue him
• movie is pre 1990 IIRC, probably late 70's or early 80's

Saw it in France on a holiday, not sure if it was really French or just dubbed.
Leviathan? A French film from the early 80's I think. If it is the one I'm thinking about they made a US remake in the mid/late 80's.

Leviathan? A French film from the early 80's I think. If it is the one I'm thinking about they made a US remake in the mid/late 80's.
Thanks but it's not Leviathan.
The movie happens on the tanker ship completely, and maybe was a bit like The Thing. Not actually a monster movie per se but the rescued guy was some kind of a supernatural entity.

Hmmm. The other one that came to mind was a TV film, The Intruder Within, but it was set on an Oil Rig and wasn't a French film.

Last edited:
I saw The Bikeriders the other evening and it was a nice, decent watch. It's a very forgettable film done in a very academic way, it looks good and you feel entirely immersed in that late 60s/early 70s biker universe. It's mainly carried by a really charismatic cast, Jodie Comer is great, Austin Butler is there to be the smouldering, sexy presence (and that's fine by me) and Tom Hardy oozes screen presence. I enjoyed the slower pace, the portrayal of a long-gone era and while it's rather aimless and has very little stakes, it's an enjoyable watch.

Yesterday I watched Cameopool and Wolverine and it was... ok I guess. Once you put aside the fact it has no cinematic value, that it's a rather ugly film (the cinematography is flat and boring, the editing is poor), that it's just a vehicle for other things and doesn't really serve any purpose... It's ok? There's a lot of funny moments in a very "immediate, quickly digested and forgotten" manner that make it an enjoyable but infinitely forgettable romp. Which I guess is what it's aiming to be, so no issues. I had a fun time watching it and 12h later I've forgotten most of it.

Hmmm. The other one that came to mind was a TV film, The Intruder Within, but it was set on an Oil Rig and wasn't a French film.
Spent 15mins with ChatGPT and no luck. It did suggest The Intruder Within, also Death Ship and The Ferryman.

Spent 15mins with ChatGPT and no luck. It did suggest The Intruder Within, also Death Ship and The Ferryman.

I had the displeasure of seeing The Intruder Within in the 80's. Sold as similar to Alien if I remember correctly. It really wasn't.

You might need to remember some unique detail that is also well known enough to be picked up by Google or ChatGPT.

Death of a President - 2006 British mockumentary political thriller of the fictionalized assaasination of George W. Bush. Quite good in parts, meh in others, but overall a good watch. 7 / 10

Fresh Kills
A good movie, felt genuine. Its the story of a family of a mobster told from the point of view of the youngest daughter. Excellent performances, script, well shot. It reminded me of the Irishman kind of. Like the movie it should have been - fresh, interesting. I'm very, very bored of mob movies to be honest and i only put it on because i thought it was a horror (the title) but i really enjoyed it. Its a good watch. 8/10

I've watched dozens of movies recently. Maybe i'll throw up a review for a couple of them later. Speaking of Ghibli i watched the Boy and the Heron and it was ok. Not one of their best and felt like something was lost in translation. They've set a high bar for themselves and its worth watching but i'd temper expectations.

A shock to the system (1990):
A much more conventional, literal, and ultimately less interesting American Psycho. 6/10.

Deadpool & Wolverine
Saw it a few days ago and still thinking about it. So much fun. Always been a Deadpool fan, read most of the comics etc and whilst I didn't mind the first two movies, this finally felt like a Deadpool comic on the screen. If you're looking for a narrative structure, character motivations or cinematic quality, this isn't it. If you just wanna have a great time, laugh at the silliness and bop along to an amazingly curated soundtrack, this is for you. It's the first time in a long time that I actually felt like a child having fun and forgetting that it's a movie. This is a movie that rewards you for being a fan, can't explain that without spoilers but that's how I felt. Loved it 9/10

Molli & Max in the Future

Harry Met Sally in space. Indie sci-fi romcom with charm and a few laughs too. The performances were pretty good and I was enjoying it for the most part. Not usually my type of film but it was decent enough 6.5/10

Deadpool & Wolverine
Saw it a few days ago and still thinking about it. So much fun. Always been a Deadpool fan, read most of the comics etc and whilst I didn't mind the first two movies, this finally felt like a Deadpool comic on the screen. If you're looking for a narrative structure, character motivations or cinematic quality, this isn't it. If you just wanna have a great time, laugh at the silliness and bop along to an amazingly curated soundtrack, this is for you. It's the first time in a long time that I actually felt like a child having fun and forgetting that it's a movie. This is a movie that rewards you for being a fan, can't explain that without spoilers but that's how I felt. Loved it 9/10

Molli & Max in the Future

Harry Met Sally in space. Indie sci-fi romcom with charm and a few laughs too. The performances were pretty good and I was enjoying it for the most part. Not usually my type of film but it was decent enough 6.5/10
Feels slightly exaggerated. It has a couple of fun/inspired song choices, and then some very run of the mill choices that don't feel very fresh. "Amazingly curated" makes it sound like it's super inspired all along, it's really not.

Feels slightly exaggerated. It has a couple of fun/inspired song choices, and then some very run of the mill choices that don't feel very fresh. "Amazingly curated" makes it sound like it's super inspired all along, it's really not.
"Amazingly curated for me" then.

Molli & Max in the Future[/B]

You don’t see many of those! Intrigued me enough to watch a trailer. Looks nuts. But I do like yer wan from Girls (who I just discovered is a nepo baby) so I’ll give it a go.

Fresh Kills
A good movie, felt genuine. Its the story of a family of a mobster told from the point of view of the youngest daughter. Excellent performances, script, well shot. It reminded me of the Irishman kind of. Like the movie it should have been - fresh, interesting. I'm very, very bored of mob movies to be honest and i only put it on because i thought it was a horror (the title) but i really enjoyed it. Its a good watch. 8/10

I've watched dozens of movies recently. Maybe i'll throw up a review for a couple of them later. Speaking of Ghibli i watched the Boy and the Heron and it was ok. Not one of their best and felt like something was lost in translation. They've set a high bar for themselves and its worth watching but i'd temper expectations.
I'm going to try this tomorrow. It is getting great reviews

Kingdom of heaven(Director cut)

Ridley Scott big egalitarian christian blockbuster. Story follows a blacksmith who leaves Europe to join the Third Crusade.

Considering it came out during the war on terror and war in Iraq/Afghanistan it’s impressive how the film shows Europe as a snowy miserable rock compared to the thriving diverse Middle East. A large section of crusaders are showed to be insane murders villains compared to the Muslims characters who are shown to be far more at ease. “The reckoning is to come for what was done one hundred years before. The Muslims will never forget. Nor should they.” Kind of surreal this is the same guy who directed Black Hawk Down.

Casting Orlando Bloom as the main character at first seems like a mistake but his Jack Grealish style blankness ends up working as a moral crusader in a world full of sin. Edward Norton as a dying dark souls boss filled up to the eyeballs with leprosy is brilliant. A doomed character who gives the film a moral backbone with his failing attempts at creating a heaven on earth. Ghassan Massoud plays Saladin as force of history. And yes for any nerds reading this I did watch a video series about how historically inaccurate the film is.

At the peak the film is pretty incredible. Some stunning shots with unique CGI which adds to the aesthetics. Giant battle scenes with a mixture of bloody and comedic violence.

For the film it seems god is form by the conditions around the characters and by the actions they take. Which ultimately by the end results in the destruction of hierarchy and bringing of a common group of believers.

There’s also blunt materialism running throughout as what drives the conflict is the need to find water. Overall another Ridley banger.

lets-talk-baldwin-iv-the-leper-king-v0-3js8lf1pozic1.jpeg

9/10

Ridley Scott big egalitarian christian blockbuster. Story follows a blacksmith who leaves Europe to join the Third Crusade.

Considering it came out during the war on terror and war in Iraq/Afghanistan it’s impressive how the film shows Europe as a snowy miserable rock compared to the thriving diverse Middle East. A large section of crusaders are showed to be insane murders villains compared to the Muslims characters who are shown to be far more at ease. “The reckoning is to come for what was done one hundred years before. The Muslims will never forget. Nor should they.” Kind of surreal this is the same guy who directed Black Hawk Down.

Casting Orlando Bloom as the main character at first seems like a mistake but his Jack Grealish style blankness ends up working as a moral crusader in a world full of sin. Edward Norton as a dying dark souls boss filled up to the eyeballs with leprosy is brilliant. A doomed character who gives the film a moral backbone with his failing attempts at creating a heaven on earth. Ghassan Massoud plays Saladin as force of history. And yes for any nerds reading this I did watch a video series about how historically inaccurate the film is.

At the peak the film is pretty incredible. Some stunning shots with unique CGI which adds to the aesthetics. Giant battle scenes with a mixture of bloody and comedic violence.

For the film it seems god is form by the conditions around the characters and by the actions they take. Which ultimately by the end results in the destruction of hierarchy and bringing of a common group of believers.

There’s also blunt materialism running throughout as what drives the conflict is the need to find water. Overall another Ridley banger.

9/10
Ridley just needs carte blanche, that's all. Blade Runner 2049 is also a masterpiece.

9/10
It's such a great film. My girlfriend has never seen it so my yearly rewatch is on the cards.
Ridley just needs carte blanche, that's all. Blade Runner 2049 is also a masterpiece.
It is but it wasn't directed by Ridley Scott, it was Denis Villeneuve. Not sure Scott was even involved in producing.

9/10
This is a movie I've wanted to see for a long time. Not gotten around to it, partly because the original cut is so incredibly mediocre. Hopefully it's much much improved.

Ridley just needs carte blanche, that's all.
Definitely agree. Hopefully we get to see his 4 hour directors cut of Napoleon in the future.

Although….his original idea for the ending of Alien is crazy - The xenomorph ends up biting Ripley head off and then sends a voice message to earth.

It's such a great film. My girlfriend has never seen it so my yearly rewatch is on the cards.
Nice. It’s definitely one my films I recommend to others.

This is a movie I've wanted to see for a long time. Not gotten around to it, partly because the original cut is so incredibly mediocre. Hopefully it's much much improved.
I’ve never seen the original cut although from what I’ve read online it’s more of a action film rather than a historical epic. The director cut has a ton of really important character development scenes(Its around 45 minutes longer).

Definitely agree. Hopefully we get to see his 4 hour directors cut of Napoleon in the future.

Although….his original idea for the ending of Alien is crazy - The xenomorph ends up biting Ripley head off and then sends a voice message to earth.

Nice. It’s definitely one my films I recommend to others.

I’ve never seen the original cut although from what I’ve read online it’s more of a action film rather than a historical epic. The director cut has a ton of really important character development scenes(Its around 45 minutes longer).
That original Alien ending idea :lol:

And yeah the theatrical cut of Kingdom is really shit. It's probably the film that has the biggest jump in quality between the theatrical and director's cut, it's crazy.

That original Alien ending idea :lol:
It’s such a crazy idea and also would have stopped us from getting Aliens. Also if I remember correctly both him and Sigourney Weaver wanted her to be naked in the final showdown with the xenomorph. Not for any sexy reasons but more that it made the Ripley character feel more vulnerable/isolated. The studio wouldn’t allow it.

And yeah the theatrical cut of Kingdom is really shit. It's probably the film that has the biggest jump in quality between the theatrical and director's cut, it's crazy.
Nearly an hour of extra scenes is biggest jump I know about.

I watched Love, Simon tonight, a US high school romcom from 2018 about a guy who isn't out yet as gay and starts talking about anonymously with a school mate who's in the same boat, while things get more complex at school.

It's supposed to be amazing, but it didn't work for me. I think I'm just primarily done with US high school films, the whole environment is off-putting to me. (I feel like it's supposed to be relatable, but for me it really isn't.) And then I didn't find the film very engrossing either: the main guy becomes too much of a dick (before the turnaround) and the embarrassment scenes are annoying. I like how not am everything is otherwise in this film, but I just couldn't care for it. 2/5