Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

This scene was so good that 5 people in my cinema all stood up and got their phones out to record it.
look-how-they-massacred-my-boy.jpg

I can't tell if you're serious and I'm also not sure whether or not I want you to be serious.
Oh it’s 100% happened. My screening also included a group who turned up around an hour late into the screening.
None of them even tried to hide and it was so brazen that I did find it pretty funny. Tbh trying to watch John Wick 4 in one sitting was a chore. Admire the effort of the directors but it is way too long.

Atomic Blonde is still imo the best Wick style film.

Oh it’s 100% happened. My screening also included a group who turned up around an hour late into the screening.

None of them even tried to hide and it was so brazen that I did find it pretty funny. Tbh trying to watch John Wick 4 in one sitting was a chore. Admire the effort of the directors but it is way too long.

Atomic Blonde is still imo the best Wick style film.
Still need to watch Atomic Blonde. For some reason it just doesn't appeal but I trust you so I'll add it to the endless watchlist.

Agree on John Wick 4 being too long, seemed to never end.

Still need to watch Atomic Blonde. For some reason it just doesn't appeal but I trust you so I'll add it to the endless watchlist..
Yep on the surface it’s not appealing at all. It’s basically another John Wick style action spin off with a 80’s retro gloss directed by the guy who did Bullet Train. But…Imo it’s accidentally a masterpiece of action cinema showing the empty core of the action hero.

Also might be the only action film to feature a Tarkosky film.
Agree on John Wick 4 being too long, seemed to never end.
I admired their effort of making a giant global crossing long action film but yeah it failed.

Deadpool & Wolverine was, hard to call. I liked it, but was also a bit disappointed. It's standard Ryan Reynolds/Deadpool funny, so you get a good laugh if that's your humour (which mine is) but I wanted more from it.
6.5/10

Deadpool & Wolverine was, hard to call. I liked it, but was also a bit disappointed. It's standard Ryan Reynolds/Deadpool funny, so you get a good laugh if that's your humour (which mine is) but I wanted more from it.
6.5/10
How does it compare to the first two films?

I thought the first one was enjoyable due to the gimmick of breaking the 4th wall but was a little empty for my liking. The second one should have been my favourite superhero film as Deadpool and Cable are two of my favourite superheroes but again, it felt like it was missing something and there were too many jokes that didn't land.

I thought the first one was enjoyable due to the gimmick of breaking the 4th wall but was a little empty for my liking. The second one should have been my favourite superhero film as Deadpool and Cable are two of my favourite superheroes but again, it felt like it was missing something and there were too many jokes that didn't land.

I preferred the first 2 over it.
Maybe I'm being harsh as I went in with such high expectations that it was always going to struggle to match them.
It's certainly worth watching though. There's 1 rug pull moment I enjoyed, that I had to explain to the wife. You'll know it when you see it.

I saw the TV Glow

I have watched my fair share of strange and weird films, but this is right up there with the strangest.
I read reviews on her and imdb and though yeah this should be decent, but I thought it was dreadful.
The soundtrack is incredible, the acting is great , that was not the problem, the problem is I could not make head nor tail of it !!!
This was billed has a horror !!! I saw more horror watching United last season.
Clearly some liked it, just not for me.
Giving it what I think is a generous score, because of the music and acting,

4/10

I saw the TV Glow

I have watched my fair share of strange and weird films, but this is right up there with the strangest.
I read reviews on her and imdb and though yeah this should be decent, but I thought it was dreadful.
The soundtrack is incredible, the acting is great , that was not the problem, the problem is I could not make head nor tail of it !!!

4/10
Is it weird in a David Lynch kind of way, Leo Carax style, or more like that movie "Enemy" (still not sure what it was about)?

Spaceman

Another weird film, but this one I really enjoyed.
Half a year into his solo mission on the edge of the solar system, an astronaut concerned with the state of his life back on Earth is helped by an ancient creature he discovers in the bowels of his ship.
It was basically Adam Sandler and a giant spider !

7/10

I saw the TV Glow

4/10

I saw this recently too, knowing beforehand that it was supposed to be about transgender issues, and it made sense because of that - maybe it wouldn't have without knowing that?

A lot of trans people had very strong emotional reactions to it, not really for me. But the more generic message I got from it, about life slipping away into meaninglessness, missed chances, will stick with me a bit.
7/10.

Also, didn't read any description before going in, had no idea it was supposed to be horror!

Zombie Film With Grandpas and Grandmas
A documentary about a woman making a short Power Rangers fan film starring her elderly family, including her nan who has dementia. Decent documentary with some funny moments and also tugs at the heart-strings. Plus points for showing the final short film after the credits roll 7/10

A family man and small time drug dealer has his life turned upside down when his drug dealing partner is released from prison. Gritty, British drama, great atmosphere and tone as well as some decent performances. The story was fine but really crashed in the finale, where it just did a sprint to the ending, which left a lot to be desired 6/10

Satu - Year of the Rabbit
When a bomb endangers the Pha Tang temple, 'Satu' an orphan child laborer decides to head north through the rich and feral landscape of Laos in search of his long lost mother with his new photojournalist friend 'Bo'. Beautifully shot with a story that is sweet and charming. Some of the locations used were remarkable and I felt like I was on holiday :lol: My main concern is that there wasn't too much in the way of danger for our two protagonists, which would have helped up the stakes a little 7.5/10

A Quiet Place - Day One

Prequel to the Emily Blunt / Jim movies but set in New York which is obviously the centre of the Universe for these sort of films. This one follows a cat as he tries to survive this terrifying Alien invasion, stifling his purrs and meows, navigating tricky debris and even holding his breath underwater for sustained periods. Lupita Nyong'o is in it as well and what appears to be a young Robert Downey Jnr but the film is definitely about the cat, which is a refreshing twist on the genre as the people in these films are so incredibly dumb at times. 3 purrs out of 5.

A Quiet Place - Day One

Prequel to the Emily Blunt / Jim movies but set in New York which is obviously the centre of the Universe for these sort of films. This one follows a cat as he tries to survive this terrifying Alien invasion, stifling his purrs and meows, navigating tricky debris and even holding his breath underwater for sustained periods. Lupita Nyong'o is in it as well and what appears to be a young Robert Downey Jnr but the film is definitely about the cat, which is a refreshing twist on the genre as the people in these films are so incredibly dumb at times. 3 purrs out of 5.
Small wonder the cat was good, it was played by Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Empty is a given with Reynolds though. I generally like his sense of humor (well, when jokes land; they don't nearly always), but it's rare that his film so anything beyond superficial entertainment.

Saw Deadpool and Wolverine earlier. It was fecking brilliant. So much better than I expected. Haven't enjoyed a movie like that in a while.

8/10

Mate... Her in Face/Off :drool:

I struggled to watch that film without a boner.
It’s impossible not to. I mean the slow mo action, bullet ballet, stylized imagin…..Oh sorry you were talking about Gina!

Have you seen Bound ? Great thriller and has a certain night scene with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon. Gershon run in the mid to late 90’s - Showgirls, Bound, Face Off and The Insider is pretty incredible.

It’s impossible not to. I mean the slow mo action, bullet ballet, stylized imagin…..Oh sorry you were talking about Gina!

Have you seen Bound ? Great thriller and has a certain night scene with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon. Gershon run in the mid to late 90’s - Showgirls, Bound, Face Off and The Insider is pretty incredible.
Going straight to my watchlist :p

Watched Deadpool and Wolverine and thought it was incredibly mediocre (and I’m a Marvel fan). Ryan Reynolds’ extremely basic style of comedy just doesn’t appeal to me at all. I think I laughed 4 or 5 times in the whole movie, which is a very low hit rate considering they attempt a joke every few seconds (which is just exhausting after a while).

Other than that, the plot is very by the numbers - all that matters is getting from one bit of fan service to the next. And the fan service is just a series of call backs to various Fox movies, most of which were average to bloody awful.

In terms of other recent Marvel movies, Guardians 3 had better comedy, better action and more heartfelt emotion. The main takeaway from D+W is that nothing really matters.

But I know I’m in the minority. D+W will make all the money, because extremely basic comedy is very popular.

The Viggo Mortensen one is good for Kobini

He did one for criterion but it lasted 5 mins...booooo.

I love that man.

Nice! Will give this a watch. Viggo is great. I remember watching a video from him going into great detail about The Passion of Joan of Arc. The guy knows his stuff.
Going straight to my watchlist :p
:lol:

It doesn’t disappoint!

The holdovers. A 2023 drama (it's called a comedy drama, but there isn't much to laugh about apart from some biting lines) by Alexander Payne, starring Paul Giamatti, Da'Vine Joy Randolph, and Dominic Sessa. A teacher and cook at an elite high school in New England need to stay at school over Christmas break to supervise kids that can't go home - which soon turns out to be just one kid. Everyone of course has different personalities, so there's a lot of clashing, followed by (inevitably) increased understanding of and softening towards each other.

The story is a little cliché and the whole thing feels a bit sweet (maybe bittersweet; there is quite a bit of personal drama), but I liked the film. The story, pacing, look, and feel are very good and so is the acting. The film also in subtle ways touches on a whole bunch of issues around privilege, broken families, mental health, grieving, and so on. Yeah, pretty good. 4/5

Deadpool 3
I had a really good time watching it, but it’s not really all that good. It’s just dumb fun. The humour is more anti-joke more than anything else, most of the time at least. It’s definitely the worst of the three. It didn’t feel like eye nodding fan service so much as pandering throughout an avalanche of call backs and on the nose references. Some of it was obviously very funny, but those moments were few and far between.
6.5/10

Winding my way through most of the X Men movies in the run up to Deadpool 3.

Won’t write a review on all of them, lots are very average. But Magneto really has been a great villain throughout. Both McKellan and Fassbender did a great job portraying him. The former a little better than the latter.

I tried to watch a Satyajit Ray movie but bailed out. I watched Howls moving castle again. 10/10.

Watched Society of the Snow last night. Really good film. Horrific at times but very well made and it looks like they got it spot on in terms of accuracy. And nothing dramatic for the sake of it. All just told how it happened. It’s an incredible story really. Insane how they managed to survive.

Arrival - I thought this was a great movie. Nice way to build up suspense and I liked the characters and story. 8/10.

Where the Crawdads sing - I haven't read the book but think it was a decent movie. I liked the characters but it felt like the movie was always lacking a bit of oomph. 6/10.

Regular reminder that Face/Off has 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and it directly influenced the writing of Infernal Affairs.

Peak cinema