Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Road House (1989)

First time I had seen this, the fights were decent, music was OK , some of the acting was questionable.
Swayze was good found most of the others, bland did not really care what happened to them.
The idea of one man cleaning up a dog rough place like that is ridicules.
The film I think is cheesy has hell but fun to watch.

7/10

Talk To Me

When a group of friends discover how to conjure spirits using an embalmed hand, they become hooked on the new thrill, until one of them goes too far and unleashes terrifying supernatural forces.
One of the best horrors I have seen in a good while, the story the acting was top notch.
The film is not particularly scary, relying more on body horror and disturbing imagery.
8/10

Hit Man
A nerdy college professor who works as a fake hitman for the police department falls for a woman who enlists his services. I enjoyed the first act, some funny moments there but the second act is a true slog, I was bored shitless. The final act is a little better but by then I was completely checked out. My biggest issue is that they didn't use the premise well at all. The main character is a cheat code and way OP. He's just too good at everything and in every scenario, the same issue I had with Beekeeper. It feels like they're are no stakes or jeapordy because the main guy always knows what to say or do in every situation. Avoid 3.5/10
But she was hot, right?

Stopmotion
A stop-motion animator struggles to control her demons after the loss of her overbearing mother. A slow burn, indie-horror that feels quite different to what's out there currently. The acting was good and it has a nice and creepy atmosphere. The stop-motion parts were also really interesting. With that said, I felt the main character didn't really have much depth beyond losing herself in her art to get over grief and find a sense of worth...I thought there would be more nuances than that. Also, not a huge fan of body horror but there are some really gruesome moments that made me squirm. It tried something different and whilst it didn't quite pay off, I rather that than run-of-the-mill horror flicks 6.5/10

My man.

It was a really strange film. And really strange that it was directed by Richard Linklater. Just makes no sense.
He's the only reason I watched it. But it gave me the same joy as completing a computer game with infinite lives cheat. I had this same issue with Beekeeper.

@Damien can you go through all of Pauldysons posts and put them on a sheet so we can form a PMDB please.

He's the only reason I watched it. But it gave me the same joy as completing a computer game with infinite lives cheat. I had this same issue with Beekeeper.

I’ve met Linklater and spent quite a lot of time with him during the TdF one year. He’s one of those fantastic people in the arts that doesn’t see discussing their specific art as annoying, nor comes off as a braggart.

Hours and hours spent with him and his entire approach to everything seemed to be viewed through a lens. How artful everything around him had the potential to be. Really solid guy with absolutely no ego that I could even eke out.

Hit Man
A nerdy college professor who works as a fake hitman for the police department falls for a woman who enlists his services. I enjoyed the first act, some funny moments there but the second act is a true slog, I was bored shitless. The final act is a little better but by then I was completely checked out. My biggest issue is that they didn't use the premise well at all. The main character is a cheat code and way OP. He's just too good at everything and in every scenario, the same issue I had with Beekeeper. It feels like they're are no stakes or jeapordy because the main guy always knows what to say or do in every situation. Avoid 3.5/10

I really liked this. In a 7/10 Sunday Afternoon manner. Felt like a fresh 2024 era romcom. Especially with It’s approach to sex and sexual connection as an animalistic start point. Love following feckery, rather than an aged and tired ‘Boy meets Girl’ boiler plate offering.

Helps that both leads are that kind of magnetic that’s not overwrought and on the nose.

Using the classroom scenes to frame his view of morality and sense of self was on the nose, but provided a nice device to move through motivations without it feeling mental.

Second act was indeed a bit claggy, but the payoff was refreshing enough to justify it I think.

Probably helps that I was in the mood for it.

So yeah, 7/10 for me.

Longlegs
A rookie FBI agent tries to catch a serial killer who goes by the name; Longlegs. I've seen this director's past work and always felt that he had a good movie in him, just needed a few rough-around-the-edges films under his belt. This is by far the best thing he's made.

The film has an amazingly creepy atmosphere, created by a very subtle score/SFX as well as some fantastic cinematography. The camera tracks in a lot, making you feel like you're actually being drawn into the film. A lot of the framing is also interesting, making you search around the screen looking for what could be hidden in the corners (he actually did this well with Blackcoat's Daughter). Acting was also a plus. Everyone was good but Maika was next level, her dialogue, movement etc. it all added to the eerie-ness of the film.

I also really enjoyed the plot (overall) as well as the theme covered but this is also where the film let's itself down a bit. The film is a mystery film and a lot of what happens is very predictable. There were many times where things were revealed and I'm there thinking "hang about, this was meant to be new news?". The ending also bugged me. I am happy with ambiguous endings if there's enough clues in the film to come to a solid conclusion but here (from what I've also read online), it seems like it's just a cliff-hanger with no real ending in mind and it's upto the viewer to just come up with it. Not really a fan of those types of endings. Feels like a cop out.

Overall, it's a really good movie that is just shy of being great due to a few narrative issues. I would recommend though... It might be slow paced but the time flies by (it's only 90 minutes long) 7/10

Last edited:
I watched the french film Le Trou tonight. French cinema is generally something I don't care much for, but I'm glad to say they knew how to make a good escape film. Great suspense throughout and it really turns it up towards the end. Brilliant stuff.

I watched the french film Le Trou tonight. French cinema is generally something I don't care much for, but I'm glad to say they knew how to make a good escape film. Great suspense throughout and it really turns it up towards the end. Brilliant stuff.
It‘s one of my fav prison / escape movies. Looking forward to the day that I finally own an oled screen and can watch it properly (pretty dark scenes).

Another one I like a lot is The Night Visitor with Max von Sydow.

Infested
In an apartment building in France, a group of giant, deadly spiders start reproducing at a worrying rate, whilst slowly killing off the inhabitants of the apartment block. Impressive feature for a first time director. When it focuses on the "creature feature" elements of the story, it really shines and will gross you out, especially if you are afraid of spiders but the human drama is flat and doesn't really add much to the film. It's also a bit long, I feel like it should have been a brisk 90 minutes, towards the latter stages of the film, I just wanted it to end. With that said, a fun movie and a welcome addition to creature feature sub-genre 6/10

Infested
In an apartment building in France, a group of giant, deadly spiders start reproducing at a worrying rate, whilst slowly killing off the inhabitants of the apartment block. Impressive feature for a first time director. When it focuses on the "creature feature" elements of the story, it really shines and will gross you out, especially if you are afraid of spiders but the human drama is flat and doesn't really add much to the film. It's also a bit long, I feel like it should have been a brisk 90 minutes, towards the latter stages of the film, I just wanted it to end. With that said, a fun movie and a welcome addition to creature feature sub-genre 6/10
I love a good creatures feature film, not heard of this one, I will add it to my list. Cheers.

Dogman (2018)

Quality Italian crime drama that follows the life of Marcello, a dog groomer and low level drug dealer, who is friends with Simone, the neighbourhood bully. Simone is a one man crime wave and is hated by the locals; Marcello is well-liked, and is put in increasingly more difficult situations due to his friendship with Simone.

I won't expand further on the plot. But I was really struck by the lead actor's performance (he's also called Marcello). He's got a unique face but he also uses it to great effect. If the eyes are the window to the soul, you know exactly what is going on with Marcello just by looking at his. It's no surprise that he won best actor in Cannes for this role.

9/10

A Quiet Place: Day 1
Firstly, a great performance by Lupita Nyong'o. She is a fecking gem to the Hollywood industry. I liked the small character story as well as the interesting theme explored (although that could have been heightened even further had they not got rid of a specific character). There were some tense scenes and the sound design was top notch. With all that said, I feel like this movie didn't deliver on its promise. I wanted to see what Day 1 was like, how did people react? How did they realise that the monsters are attracted to sound? All that jazz... but instead, they showed the monsters turn up, cut to black and then we're back in, where twenty or so minutes of time has passed and everyone knows the rules of the monsters. It was basically the same as the opening scene from the second movie and we've gained no additional information. This could have not been a prequel and instead a spin-off and would have worked better as a film because on its own merit, it's a decent film 6/10
What was your take on the first AQP? As much as I love Emily Blunt, I found it hilarious instead of scary, much less gripping.
Hit Man
Glen Powell is in this, and the reboot (re-crap?) of Twister. He's in the mould of milquetoast everyman actors like John Krasinski, Mark Duplass, and Chris Pratt that I just find too boring to watch. This "take" on a hit man movie sounds like it could have been fun. I don't know why Hollywood is so infatuated with this idea of people who go around assassinating people, or, at least why H'w'd is infatuated with thinking hit men are interesting instead of contract killers worthy of scorn. Grosse Pointe Blank was a nice switch on the theme too, if you haven't seen it.
Road House (1989)

First time I had seen this, the fights were decent, music was OK , some of the acting was questionable.
Swayze was good found most of the others, bland did not really care what happened to them.
The idea of one man cleaning up a dog rough place like that is ridicules.
The film I think is cheesy has hell but fun to watch.

7/10
Have you heard of Buford Pusser? The movie Walking Tall is semi-based on his story. He singlehandedly took on the Dixie Mafia and the Stateliness Mob, survived 7 stabbings and 8 shootings. I think Roadhouse is intended as a similar kind of one man army story. I remember it being silly as feck but Swayze was good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buford_Pusser

Glen Powell is in this, and the reboot (re-crap?) of Twister. He's in the mould of milquetoast everyman actors like John Krasinski, Mark Duplass, and Chris Pratt that I just find too boring to watch.
Yeah he's apparently the latest big thing but he's massively boring as you'd imagine from a guy called "Glen". Also I find his face a little bit weird for some reason but mainly he's just a meh actor.

MaXXXine
Final part in Ti West's X trilogy. I thought X was quite enjoyable and Pearl had it's moments. This was by far the worst entry into the trilogy. I really liked that it was a pastiche of 80's horror, paying nods to Italian Giallo films and also Brian De Palmer's work, they really captured that era of filmmaking. Some of the performances were good too as well a few decent cameos. But overall, the film was aimless, slow and boring. There were a lot of hammy performances in here as well (mainly talking to you Gustavo Frings). The worst thing about this film though are the final act, which seemed like it was lifted off of a different film altogether and also when they reveal the killer, which is treated as a mystery the entire time but it's blatantly obvious who it is. The ending was awful and left me wondering why I just wasted time/money on this. I would avoid 4/10

MaXXXine
Final part in Ti West's X trilogy. I thought X was quite enjoyable and Pearl had its moments. This was by far the worst entry into the trilogy. I really liked that it was a pastiche of 80's horror, paying nods to Italian Giallo films and also Brian De Palmer's work, they really captured that era of filmmaking. Some of the performances were good too as well a few decent cameos. But overall, the film was aimless, slow and boring. There were a lot of hammy performances in here as well (mainly talking to you Gustavo Frings). [1]. The worst thing about this film though are the final act, which seemed like it was lifted off of a different film altogether and also when they reveal the killer, which is treated as a mystery the entire time but it's blatantly obvious who it is. The ending was awful and left me wondering why I just wasted time/money on this. [2.]. I would avoid 4/10
1. I have never ever understood the praise this man receives. Even in Breaking Bad he moved like he was in a back brace and his overly fastidious mannerisms were just dumb. His Moff Gideon [Star Wars] was among the cringiest things I've ever seen. He must be an incredibly lovely person though because he continues to get work while appearing to be slightly less animated than a block of wood.

2. Because you are a glutton for punishment, sir.

Yeah he's apparently the latest big thing but he's massively boring as you'd imagine from a guy called "Glen". Also I find his face a little bit weird for some reason but mainly he's just a meh actor.
He seems like he would be the type of actor cast as the good-looking (but not too good-looking) and slightly stupid (but not too stupid) new boyfriend of a sitcom's main character, like, for one episode and then never asked back. He's almost a Voltron of other boring actors except he's less than the sum of his parts.

Last edited:
Aliens - 5/5

Needed something to watch while holed up on the sofa with flu. Two hours just flew by. Movie that for me never gets old, despite dating back to 1986!

Sometimes feel like I’m biased toward older films, but seriously, they just don’t make them like that anymore. Did they have to try harder before computers made it easy? Who knows. Either way, brilliant from start to finish.

Aliens - 5/5

Needed something to watch while holed up on the sofa with flu. Two hours just flew by. Movie that for me never gets old, despite dating back to 1986!

Sometimes feel like I’m biased toward older films, but seriously, they just don’t make them like that anymore. Did they have to try harder before computers made it easy? Who knows. Either way, brilliant from start to finish.
Hell yes. Cameron's best film, too. It's amazing how different this is tonally from Alien, and the first time I saw it I didn't like all the jokey ass-grabbery among the characters, but once I embraced this new vision of the Alien-universe, I loved it. It totally holds up. Great movie, great action, great dialogue, brilliant casting. Bill Paxton is a legend in this.

Aliens - 5/5

There are few directors who when given the chance make a big budget sci fi film about how the US military are imperialist morons. Cameron is one of a kind.

Aliens - 5/5

One of my all time favourites alongside the first film.

MaXXXine
Final part in Ti West's X trilogy. I thought X was quite enjoyable and Pearl had its moments. This was by far the worst entry into the trilogy. I really liked that it was a pastiche of 80's horror, paying nods to Italian Giallo films and also Brian De Palmer's work, they really captured that era of filmmaking. Some of the performances were good too as well a few decent cameos. But overall, the film was aimless, slow and boring. There were a lot of hammy performances in here as well (mainly talking to you Gustavo Frings). The worst thing about this film though are the final act, which seemed like it was lifted off of a different film altogether and also when they reveal the killer, which is treated as a mystery the entire time but it's blatantly obvious who it is. The ending was awful and left me wondering why I just wasted time/money on this. I would avoid 4/10
I enjoyed the first 2 , but yours is not the first bad review I have read.

I watched Face to Face. One of the few essential Bergman's I hadn't seen yet and it was every bit as good as I had hoped. Liv Ullman put in such a great performance in this, truly remarkable. Not top tier Bergman, but well in the group below that. 4/5

It‘s one of my fav prison / escape movies. Looking forward to the day that I finally own an oled screen and can watch it properly (pretty dark scenes).

Another one I like a lot is The Night Visitor with Max von Sydow.
Haven't seen that one, but I do love A Man Escaped in the genre.

I watched Face to Face. One of the few essential Bergman's I hadn't seen yet and it was every bit as good as I had hoped. Liv Ullman put in such a great performance in this, truly remarkable. Not top tier Bergman, but well in the group below that. 4/5

Haven't seen that one, but I do love A Man Escaped in the genre.
Funny that you mentioned Bergmann because The Night Visitor features some of his go-to actors I think. It‘s pretty great, highly recommending it to you. Think I had to dig a bit to find it (watched a small part of it by chance on the telly a long time ago but had no title so took some time to figure it out).

A man escaped doesn‘t ring a bell, will check it out.

Missus and I could not decide what to watch last night, and after scrolling Netflix and then Amazon, then Netflix again, and finally back to Amazon, I just hit play on a movie with two decent actors in it (Chris Messina, Jenna Fischer). I figured if it was too crap she'd go read a book and I could get back to Fallout 4.

Anyway, I chose THE GIANT MECHANICAL MAN (2012). It's an indie "charming romantic comedy". Basically the story of two people who are lost in their search for themselves/life/meaning, and who find in each other the "one person who makes them feel seen" or some form of that idea. It was 90 minutes but a looong 90, so that tells you something about the story or pacing at least. There were one or two (but definitely not 3) moments that made me laugh, a decent story, but it became hampered by sit-com style antics from Topher (Are You On fecking Crack, Man?) Grace, and Fischer's sister Malin Ackerman. Tonally it felt like Messina and Fischer were in a Hal Hartley movie while everyone else thought this was a Nora Ephron movie.

Topher Grace sucked fecking donkey balls and about ruined the movie, they even have a post-credit scene with him, which indicates they had the polar opposite reaction to his "performance" than I did.

There's a moment where the two would-be lovers finally get together, they kiss and then instantly it cuts to them in bed with the covers up to their armpits. This struck me as broadcast TV style. I think you can glean a lot about a character from the dance right up to the ball-slappin', whether that's a demure peeling off of clothes, or Person A throwing Person B on the table/bed/TV, etc. This struck me as a wasted opportunity and started to unravel the whole vibe. We've talked about this before here, but I don't necessarily need to see actors simulating boinking, but I do need to see some heat/passion between lovers, and sometimes you can approximate that with a sexy reveal or whatever. This was chaste to the point of silliness.

I should mention that the title does not refer to a robot and there are no robots in the movie, however, Messina's character is one of those guys who paints their faces silver and accosts strangers on the street pretending to be a mechanical man for tips. I feel they didn't close the loop on his story, because you are asked to accept that his choice to go do that shit everyday is a valid life choice that speaks to the inner sea of poetry and pathos that rages within him, when in reality, it's kinda fecking stupid. Fischer's character pulls herself out of her rut, but he trundles happily along, which felt like an oversight, but if resolving his arc meant another 5 minutes of film, they made the right decisions by ending this whole thing early.

I think this was an indie, which gives it a few more points, maybe 7/10, or a "C". I know the editor, I have to ask him WTF was going on with this.

iu

Just watched it myself and did a bit of googling. The guy who played Roland Darbant (the one who hatched the escape plan) was one of the escapees from La Sante prison that the film was based on.

Funny that you mentioned Bergmann because The Night Visitor features some of his go-to actors I think. It‘s pretty great, highly recommending it to you. Think I had to dig a bit to find it (watched a small part of it by chance on the telly a long time ago but had no title so took some time to figure it out).

A man escaped doesn‘t ring a bell, will check it out.
I will check it out, but yeah, seems like I need to dig a bit.
All French cinema? https://www.imdb.com/list/ls059693712/ This list is pretty accurate.
Not really all, there's a lot of French movies I do like. From that list I love The Children of Paradise, pretty much all Melville, The Wages of Fear and La Haine at least (didn't really get through). It's just there certain things, especially with typical New Wave films, that rubs me the wrong way. Not necessarily that I find them bad films, it's just that I don't enjoy them very much.

Not really all, there's a lot of French movies I do like. From that list I love The Children of Paradise, pretty much all Melville, The Wages of Fear and La Haine at least (didn't really get through). It's just there certain things, especially with typical New Wave films, that rubs me the wrong way. Not necessarily that I find them bad films, it's just that I don't enjoy them very much.
Same, I was more often than not surprised I didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would.

I do enjoy Le Feu Follet by Lous Malle a lot which is my go to existencial-crisis-with-style / early 60s Parisian film and one of the few, if not the only one, that perfectly melts together with the Gymnopédies from Satie. Sundays and Cybèle, War of the Buttons and I also like Le Mépris a lot, Brigitte featured in the Villa Malaparte? Hell yes! Some of the Thrillers from that period are very entertaining as well, Red Circle, Army in the Shadows and 1-2 I forgot the titles of.

Last edited: