Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Boy Kills World

Really enjoyed this one. Uber violent action flick with some nice humour. I think the humour and the lack of annoying Greengrass cam just give it the edge of the very similar and recently released Monkey Man. Turn your brain off and enjoy.
Boy Kills World

Firstly, didn't know Bill Skarsgaard was this ripped :lol: and also nice to see the villain from The Raid in this, he's a great martial arts performer and i like his screen presence.

The action scenes in this are great, fast paced and violent, the action feels like it has meaning. Maybe a little too edited at times but for a western production, it was decent.

My main concern was the narrator (who seemed horribly miscast) and the "comedy". I think that took away from the film, cheapened it and i don't think i laughed even once.

The final act drops the narrator for the majority of it and that's why that specific act really saves the film.

My preference was Monkey Man but this is a decent watch if you want some over the top martial arts 6/10

Wing Attack Plan R

Every movie on his list is either excellent, or I haven’t seen it. With one notable exception. I thought Hurt Locker was bang average. Never understood why it got so much praise.
The first act or whatever of The Hurt Locker, with Guy Pearce, was really good, a lot of tension, shot really well. Then the movie went downhill, culminating in Jeremy Renner going rogue with a gun in the middle of the night silliness.

caid

The first act or whatever of The Hurt Locker, with Guy Pearce, was really good, a lot of tension, shot really well. Then the movie went downhill, culminating in Jeremy Renner going rogue with a gun in the middle of the night silliness.
I dont know what the movie would be about without the downward spiral silliness of the 2nd half. Wouldn't be listing it in my top 20 in a million years, doubt i'd even remember it. But i could easily believe it was directed by Michael Mann. I haven't watched it or thought of it since release so maybe im just misremembering it.
Looking up Bigelow's movies and i didn't know she directed Near Dark which people were talking about recently.

Wing Attack Plan R

I dont know what the movie would be about without the downward spiral silliness of the 2nd half. Wouldn't be listing it in my top 20 in a million years, doubt i'd even remember it. But i could easily believe it was directed by Michael Mann. I haven't watched it or thought of it since release so maybe im just misremembering it.
Looking up Bigelow's movies and i didn't know she directed Near Dark which people were talking about recently.
I think Bigelow underestimated the level of antipathy she would engender with her counterfactual alt-history Republican-fluffing jingoistic horseshit** follow up Zero Dark Thirty. It makes it easier to retroactively dislike her work even more so.

**to recap, her movie showed that the CIA program of "extraordinary rendition" was justified. When people pointed out to her that torturing suspects at secret black sites after kidnapping them was not only un-American, but also in violation of all kinds of international treaties. And further, when she was reminded that it was pure grunt work that led to the break in finding Bin Laden, and had nothing to do with torture and waterboarding people, she was incensed. So, feck her, and feck Zero Dark Thirty. Although I liked Near Dark!

caid

I think Bigelow underestimated the level of antipathy she would engender with her counterfactual alt-history Republican-fluffing jingoistic horseshit** follow up Zero Dark Thirty. It makes it easier to retroactively dislike her work even more so.

**to recap, her movie showed that the CIA program of "extraordinary rendition" was justified. When people pointed out to her that torturing suspects at secret black sites after kidnapping them was not only un-American, but also in violation of all kinds of international treaties. And further, when she was reminded that it was pure grunt work that led to the break in finding Bin Laden, and had nothing to do with torture and waterboarding people, she was incensed. So, feck her, and feck Zero Dark Thirty. Although I liked Near Dark!
I missed that movie at the time and never went back to watch it. Bit of a weird omission, I'd usually watch most bigger releases and it won a couple of awards too didn't it?
Guess i'll skip it.
Whatever about her other movies Near Dark is great

Wing Attack Plan R

I missed that movie at the time and never went back to watch it. Bit of a weird omission, I'd usually watch most bigger releases and it won a couple of awards too didn't it?
Guess i'll skip it.
Whatever about her other movies Near Dark is great
It's an insidious document of a very shameful period. Excusing the kidnapping, torture, and illegal confinement of people under the guise of an intrepid female CIA analyst's dogged pursuit leading to a breakthrough against Bin Laden -- it sells the lie for future generations that what we did was not only effective, but moral. It's the kind of big lie that you'd expect from a North Korea.

Its greatest crime is that it's kinda boring, too.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Pale Flower
One of the best crime thriller I’ve ever watched. Maybe the coolest film of all time with some breathtaking scenes.

Also brilliant performances from both Mariko Kaga and Ryō Ikebe.

Absolute masterpiece.

10/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Beverly Hills Cop Axel F Not as awful as you fear and they mostly recreate the nostalgia well. The plot, such as it is, gets very lazy in the second half and they waste the opportunity of having lots of the original cast back together to a large degree. As one review I read said "brand loyalty has to do most of the heavy lifting". Pleasant enough for those of us old enough to remember the original fondly but I'm not sure if much younger people will get much out of it. 6/10 (less if you are young).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Beverly Hills Cop - Axel F

Embarrassing, absolutely unwatchable. Second sequel for Eddie Murphy that was utter drek. Shame because Coming to America & the original Beverly Hills Cops were quite good.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The Booth At The End
Really interesting premise. Xander Berkeley calmly trotting out of one of the most naturally brilliant acting performances I’ve seen on screen. Really enjoyable and compelling first hour and a half. Very disappointing that they couldn’t stick the landing. Good watch though.
7/10 (9/10 if it had an ending that worked).