Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Saw the Indiana Jones one on Sunday night. poor effort imo.
Some of the special effects were good though, specially near and at the end.

Caught No Country for Old Men on DVD last night. Some good acting there but overall I didn't care for it. Maybe I'll revisit my opinion later but for now it's not the type of movie that I'd watch again.

Superbad

Not as funny as it was cracked up to be. Seen it all before really. I did enjoy it though, but only the scenes with McLovin have stayed with me. The rest of it was fairly forgettable.

6.5 out of 10

3.10 to Yuma

Very good. I like a western, and this is up there with anything of late. Not sure about the ending though.

8 out of 10

Death Proof

Loved it. Fully deserves to be in the Tarantino portfolio. Kurt Russell was perfectly cast. The action scenes were entertaining, without really being anything new (although I can't recall ever seeing a tyre rip through someones face in slo-mo before). Reviews were mixed, but personally I thought it was excellent.

8.99/10

Guys, know of any nice movies where the criminal is playing a game or taunting with the police by dropping clues like se7en? Please recommend me.

If you don't mind hong hong movies there's one by Johnny To I find quite enjoyable. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216165/

If you wanna download it you need to register at http://bt.avistaz.com and search for "running out of time"

There's also a part 2 uploaded by the same guy "Ackchoo" from that same search which is not bad also.

Thanks

Guys, know of any nice movies where the criminal is playing a game or taunting with the police by dropping clues like se7en? Please recommend me.

If you don't mind hong hong movies there's one by Johnny To I find quite enjoyable. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216165/

If you wanna download it you need to register at http://bt.avistaz.com and search for "running out of time"

There's also a part 2 uploaded by the same guy "Ackchoo" from that same search which is not bad also.

Thanks
I love Running out of Time. Andy Lau is one of my favorite actors.

American Gangster. Overall, I liked it. Denzel does a good job playing the bad guy for once. The missus hit the wrong button so we watched the theatrical version, I'd like to see the unrated version.

The new Indiana Jones film - enjoyable tosh. Not as good as the first or third, but better than ToD. As believable as the others, so don't expect anything profoundly educational; this is a hark back to Spielberg's blockbuster days rather than anything with a moral story.

I heard it's beautiful, but a pile of shit. True?
Actually I'd say thats not accurate, it does admittedly have a bit of a "princess bride" campy feel to it in the first half (same kind of story telling narrative) but its much more cleverly weaved together and the little girl in it is absolutely captaviting, she acts like a 6 or 7 year old is supposed to be, unlike holywood sytle Dakota fanning whos basically an adult in a girls body, and it does have some depth it to that most mainstream moviegoers probably fail to notice, I think Singh is paying homage to Albert Camus "The Fall", but I've not read that anywhere - I hardly watch holywood stuff now - there really has not been much to talk about recently, Indie films are much more superior, I'd say I'd give the fall a solid 7.5/10 by Indie standards.

I'm Not There. I wonder if I need to know more about Bob Dylan's music and life to fully appreciate this one. Good performances all around. Was a decent movie, but some clarification of a few things would help.

Actually I'd say thats not accurate, it does admittedly have a bit of a "princess bride" campy feel to it in the first half (same kind of story telling narrative) but its much more cleverly weaved together and the little girl in it is absolutely captaviting, she acts like a 6 or 7 year old is supposed to be, unlike holywood sytle Dakota fanning whos basically an adult in a girls body, and it does have some depth it to that most mainstream moviegoers probably fail to notice, I think Singh is paying homage to Albert Camus "The Fall", but I've not read that anywhere - I hardly watch holywood stuff now - there really has not been much to talk about recently, Indie films are much more superior, I'd say I'd give the fall a solid 7.5/10 by Indie standards.
http://former.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

Seems like a promising one.

'Tis the only one I've seen. What did you think of Bottle R0cket?

I was somehow one of the 6 people that saw that filum when it came out. Great little movie that one.

"well what's she done with her life that's so great?"

One of my favorite movie lines.

I'll go ahead and say this so you can close the discussion.

The original 1930 "All's Quite on the Western Front" was the best movie ever made.

I did enjoy this thread.

Legendary Weapons of China. Was a bit too comical and the magic kung fu's not quite my thing. The final two fight scenes are well worth the price of admission though.

I had to double take when I read this because I know the film title as Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu.

I see where you're coming from on the magic front, but I never thought it got in the way of the kung fu itself. Also, comedy from that era of Chinese movies never translates well to Western audiences. It wasn't until Sammo and Jackie Chan that you got genuine laughs from this genre imo.

You're right about the final two fight scenes, but I'd also add the Gordon Liu fight - some brilliant hand-to-hand in that.

I'd personally rate this as an all time classic. The fight choreography (particularly with the weapons) is excellent.

I had to double take when I read this because I know the film title as Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu.

I see where you're coming from on the magic front, but I never thought it got in the way of the kung fu itself. Also, comedy from that era of Chinese movies never translates well to Western audiences. It wasn't until Sammo and Jackie Chan that you got genuine laughs from this genre imo.

You're right about the final two fight scenes, but I'd also add the Gordon Liu fight - some brilliant hand-to-hand in that.

I'd personally rate this as an all time classic. The fight choreography (particularly with the weapons) is excellent.
I never thought the magic got in the way of the kung fu, I just don't care for magic in my kung fu movies. In terms of the comedy, I guess I just prefer a kick ass kung fu movie without a lot of comedy, think Five Deadly Venoms.

I'd say Legendary Weapons ranks very high because of those last two fight scenes.

Oh dear oh dear. My sister forced a copy of Confetti on me and I've just finished watching it. I simply do not think I've ever seen such a waste of talent in my life, only 2 funny lines throughout the film and a dull storyline to boot, truly truly woeful. Martin freeman, Jimmy Carr, Jessica Stephenson, Robert Webb, Alison Steadman have been in some of my favourite comedies of all time but they could hardly muster a smile out of me in this.

Dialogue was woeful, Jimmy Carr's acting abysmal, stereotypical characters, poor narrative structure. An embarrassment for all involved.

I love Life Aquatic absolutely brilliant film.

Watched the Werner Herzog documentary Grizzly Man last night and it was a very impressive piece of work let down slightly in a couple of areas. The film itself is about the late Timothy Treadwell who decided to become the unofficial saviour of the bear community up in an Alaskan national park and spent 13 summers, mostly alone, living with them before he was attacked and killed by one of the bears. Much of the film is taking up with wonderful footage of the bears in there natural habitat and at times interacting with Treadwell up close which makes the film worth seeing in itself but Herzog looks at it in a psychological way, trying to find out why he felt the need to lock himself away from society and speaks to friends and family
to help him. Unfortunately the film is let down by a couple of the people who Herzog interacts with as they seem to be putting on a show for the camera rather than conveying any true feeling or thought but it is still well worth seeing for Treadwell's amazing footage, the interesting questions that are posed and Herzog's accent in the narration which is brilliant.

I'm Not There. I wonder if I need to know more about Bob Dylan's music and life to fully appreciate this one. Good performances all around. Was a decent movie, but some clarification of a few things would help.
I thought it was brilliant but it did occur to me that the non-Dylan fan might not.

I liked it. I just thought a few things were over my head since I don't know that much about him. For instance, what's Richard Gere's whole plot about?
I think that was just a way of doing late period Dylan, riffing on his appearance in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and musing on the sheer surrealistic nature of fame.