Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Watched I, Robot on Film4 last night, well about an hour and half of it. Was better than I expected. Sure it could've been a shedload better. . . I would've love to have seen Kubrick's vision for example, but it was watchable nonetheless. The robots looked shite, though. . .in fact the computer graphics were awful on the whole. However, If you're expecting Blade Runner then you'll be disappointed.
The blatant Converse product placement ruined it for me. It gave me the hump, and I couldn't enjoy the film.

The Prestegie - Quite good. The ending, lacked surprise value. Bale was OK, Hugh Jackman was very good. Seen Batman Begins and this one of Bale's and unsure what the hype about him is all about. Good actor but not really as great as he's made out to be.

Butterfly Effect - Strictly good. There is something about the movie which did seem wrong though. Probably analysing emotions as science experiments. Plus the performances weren't all that. Preferred Eternal Sunshine much more.
There is something about the Butterfly Effect. Its not a very good film, and most of the performances are hammy as feck, but I've watched it about four times now.

Scarface

Never seen it before last night, incredibly. It was....good.

7.8/10

I found Scarface overrated. Pointless action centered with Al Pacino playing the angry young man yet again makes it a dream movie for many but didn't hack it for me.

There is something about the Butterfly Effect. Its not a very good film, and most of the performances are hammy as feck, but I've watched it about four times now.

Yeah, guess one of those you wouldn't mind when on during a bored afternoon to entertain yourself. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Am off to get Mulholland Drive. Hopefully it's as good as many say it is.

True. Nor was A Straight Story. Loved Mullholland Drive, Lost Highway and Wild at Heart. Inland Empire was too much of an ordeal for me.

I've never got into Lynch; I remember watching Blue Velvet about 10 years ago and I haven't bothered again since seeing that hairy minge. I should probably give his films another go now that I'm a bit more mature and a little less averse to bushy rats. Is Mullholland Drive a good place to start?

Animated shaved minge. That's more like it.

The Japanese have always made decent animated adult-oriented films. Beowulf was a step in the right direction for Hollywood but I thought it was trying so hard to be a nice-to-look-at, adult film that it forgot about being entertaining.

Animated shaved minge. That's more like it.

The Japanese have always made decent animated adult-oriented films. Beowulf was a step in the right direction for Hollywood but I thought it was trying so hard to be a nice-to-look-at, adult film that it forgot about being entertaining.
I'm not so much interested in the virtual tits and ass. I just want to see loads of violence.

I've never got into Lynch; I remember watching Blue Velvet about 10 years ago and I haven't bothered again since seeing that hairy minge. I should probably give his films another go now that I'm a bit more mature and a little less averse to bushy rats. Is Mullholland Drive a good place to start?

Watch Blue Velvet again, then Mullholland Drive and Lost Highway.

Its probably been done a while ago. My favourite movie of all time would probably be Remember the Titans. Has anyone seen this and not enjoyed it?

I'm not so much interested in the virtual tits and ass. I just want to see loads of violence.

Aye, you can never beat a good bit of cartoon violence.

I recently watched 3 Japanese animes actually (Vexille, Appleseed and Appleseed 2). All of them generic and predictable (though Vexille did have one of the most peculiarly Japanese endings I've ever seen) but absolutely stunning visually.

The thing with anime is that the makers know which side their bread's buttered. A lot of the angles and action set pieces are shamelessly indulgent, but it works because the audience likes it that way. Compared to Beowulf, the 3 films I mentioned are a lot nicer to look at and more fun with it imho.

I watched American Gangster yesterday. Much better than I expected if not the best film in the world. A good story well told and beautifully shot. 8/10

Actually it was Houston -> Vegas -> San Diego -> LA -> Portland. Will leave for Nj on the 29th.

Nah, no stars. Some classic sets though, like the one used for Pyscho.

You won;t like Mullholland Drive, Salvo. . .that's unless you've seen other films by David Lynch.

Yeah, good one Spoonez, I finally saw it yesterday and didn't rate it all that highly. Could well be one of those which needs two viewings to truly appreciate.

What I did like was Paris Je T'aime. Some of the stories are disappointing, like the Coens', but overall a good watch.

Jindabyne

Seriously dull. I was praying for something to happen in this film. Just rubbish

2/10

Lives%20of%20Others.jpg

Seriously good German movie. 8/10. Reminded me on the time when I lived in Berlin, before the wall came down and when we used to go over to East-Berlin for a day or two. A lot of EastGerman friends of mine told me it captures the atmosphere back then precisely. Although "1984" is a work a fiction it come very close in describing the reality of the people who lived in the GDR before 1989. Highly recommended movie.

Death at the funeral 7/10

decent comedy

Dog Days Afternoon 8/10

if you like young Al Pacino and bank robbery as a plot, you shouldn´t wait

Doomsday 4/10

just amusing, sometimes amusingly funny

Tropa de Elite 9/10

Brazilian movie in the mood of City of Gods, about the special police unit in Rio, honest cinematography