Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Planning to watch it tonight.

I watched Michael Clayton instead last night.
Another good movie. Even though Clooney is the one who played the central character (and did well I thought), the real star was Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton. Fantastic performance from both of them.

Tom Wilkinson was the best character in the movie imo, his opening monologue is fecking class

Firecracker. This was the first movie I worked on(was only there for a couple of days though). Been wanting to see it for a while and finally got the chance. It's rubbish. Poor acting pretty much all around. Some nice visuals at time, but that's about it.

Question for those that have seen Flags of our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima

I have both of these to watch on DVD, does it matter which order I watch them in?

The Other Boleyn Girl

Saw it in the cinema yesterday.

Awful. Complete and utter shite. Even the acting was not good. No direction whatsoever, first hour of the movie was totally disjointed.

Watched Carlito's Way last night (already seen it) very enjoyable movie, Pacino and Penn are both great in it.

The Orphanage

Spanish horror film about a women that goes back to live in an old orphanage, with her husband and son, that she once lived in as a child. Scary shit follows.

One of the scariest films I have seen since The Shining, proper phycological scares rather than the usual gore fests of today. He scares you with a great story, tight direction, excellent camera work and brilliant acting.

Excellent film, one of the best I have seen this year, for fans of this genre it is a genuine must see.

9/10

Spanish horror film about a women that goes back to live in an old orphanage, with her husband and son, that she once lived in as a child. Scary shit follows.

One of the scariest films I have seen since The Shining, proper phycological scares rather than the usual gore fests of today. He scares you with a great story, tight direction, excellent camera work and brilliant acting.

Excellent film, one of the best I have seen this year, for fans of this genre it is a genuine must see.

9/10
Mint! I've been dying to see this

The Mist

Frank Darabont directing a Stephan King novel doesn't go wrong, this is a genuinely horrifying horror movie, he scared the shit out of me, builds tension expertly and pulls the emotions all over the place, just watch the fecker

9/10

Vantage Point

The sort of film you sit in the cinema sniggering at and whispering sarcastic comments about. Follows on in the tradition of 21 Grams, Amores Perros and other films where they present different perspectives, and dick around with the chronology and leave you waiting to fill in the blanks of the plot. Unlike those films, it never fills in all the blanks. More holes and inconsistencies than the main road in Wonthaggi. Horrendous performances and dialogue like an episode of Days of Our Lives. And if that weren't bad enough, you also have to tolerate the way they keep stopping the action at a crucial moment and then 'rewinding' it back to the start to show you the exact same thing from someone else's perspective... eight times.

The only upside to going to see this film is that if enough people leave the theatre, you might be able to get a blowjob in the dark.

3/10

The Mist

Frank Darabont directing a Stephan King novel doesn't go wrong, this is a genuinely horrifying horror movie, he scared the shit out of me, builds tension expertly and pulls the emotions all over the place, just watch the fecker

9/10

Nice one Mozza, I may have missed this one was it not for your review and subsequent check of IMDB's review, cheers I shall watch this later today, I love a good horror film.

Check out the Orphanage.

Vantage Point

The sort of film you sit in the cinema sniggering and whispering sarcastic comments about. Follows on in the tradition of 21 Grams, Amores Perros and other films where they present different perspectives, and dick around with the chronology and leave you waiting to fill in the blanks of the plot. Unlike those films, it never fills in all the blanks. More holes and inconsistencies than the main road in Wonthaggi. Horrendous performances and dialogue like an episode of Days of Our Lives. And if that weren't bad enough, you also have to tolerate the way they keep stopping the action at a crucial moment and then 'rewinding' it back to the start to show you the exact same thing from someone else's perspective... eight times.

The only upside to going to see this film is that if enough people leave the theatre, you might be able to get a blowjob in the dark.

3/10

:lol: It didn't deserve the 3 points...terrible movie.

Cloverfield was rubbish.

I'll have to check out The Orphanage and The Mist.
Sppppooooooonnneeey, the movie review thread has died a death without you!

Just got Dr Strangelove, Spirited Away and A Wes Anderson box set arrive in the post this morning, although everyone already knows about them the verdicts will be returned over the coming days.

Going to watch the Orphanage tonight I think and I thought Cloverfield was ok but i suppose it depends on what you are expecting.

Have you seen Juno? I thought that was an overrated pile of shite.

Where have you been by the way?

if the orphanage is the spanish movie, don't even bother watching it, is a stupid horror movie that scares no one

they don't even had the decency to film a tit or an ass

Rubbish, The Orpahanage is the best film of it's ilk for fecking years.

In Bruges
Was quite surprised at how good this film actually was. I was constantly laughing and the plot was alright. Colin Farrell was surprisingly good and Ralph Fiennes was great too.

The joke about Belgium, chocolate and pedophilia was as funny as anything I've ever heard.

I want to see that actually, is there a download for it yet?

In Bruges
Was quite surprised at how good this film actually was. I was constantly laughing and the plot was alright. Colin Farrell was surprisingly good and Ralph Fiennes was great too.

The joke about Belgium, chocolate and pedophilia was as funny as anything I've ever heard.
Really want to see that one. Might try and convince the missus to go see it this weekend.

Gone Baby Gone. Surprisingly good directorial effort from Ben Affleck. Also a surprisingly good performance by his brother Casey.

I've got this in my to watch folder, I shall have a gander.

I really liked Gone Baby Gone.

No COuntry For OLd Men was good until the last 5 minutes. The psycho guy is really good. Tommy Lee Jones is pointless.

I am Legend was ok. Friday night popcorn fare.

Gone Baby Gone. Surprisingly good directorial effort from Ben Affleck. Also a surprisingly good performance by his brother Casey.

Casey Affleck is turning out to be a very good actor. Watch The Assassination of Jesse James and you will see what a good actor he is. Much better than his brother.

Atonement

Liked it, but a chick flick. Keira Knightly has a womans head on a mans body. I wouldn't touch her with yours.

7/10

There Will Be Blood

Rubbish

Well, reasonably enjoyable for about the first hour, then rubbish. I thought it was going to be this great battle between the power of oil and the power of religious mania. But what happened is, the oil man turned up, looked for oil, almost immediately found oil, kicked the crap out of a clergyman, got rich and fecked off. That's not a story.

Good performance and all that from Day Lewis, but fecking theatrical and self-regarding too. And why did his character suddenly turn from having a dark side, but reasonably complex, to just being a complete psychopath?

And the soundtrack was one of the worst I've ever heard. I just found out it was by Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead, which is surprising. I spent the whole film thinking, "shut the feck up with the strings". In general, if a soundtrack's any good, you don't notice it till you buy the CD.

Amusingly, my mate got a nosebleed during the closing credits, so at least it did what it said on the tin. He observed that it was a good job it wasn't called, "There Will Be Spunk".

Rocco and his Brothers

fecking brilliant. Luchino Visconte. What a master. That's how to do it. One for you Spoons, you'll love it if you've not seen it already.

What's New, Pussycat. Funny at parts but silly is a better word for the movie. Good cast with Peter O'Toole, Woody Allen, and Peter Sellers. The end is one of those completely impossible series of events where every character in the entire film comes together.

i just saw Schindler's List for the first time today

fecking awesome. Just an amazing film

One of the most moving films I've ever seen (although not as moving as The Champ, obviously)

10/10

Agreed about There Will be Blood, Plech. Was up for best picture. I personally didn't see what was so great about it. After about hour 2.5 I just wanted the thing to fecking end.

Yep. Are you a DP, Ole? If so, you have to see Rocco and his brothers. Guiseppe Rotunno photographed it. fecking brilliant.