Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Premonition The missus returned from Blockbuster with this one because there was feck all else, after we had a avoided it for some time. Given my very low expectations it was a refreshing change to find that it was far far worse than I had feared. Sandra Bullock's husband dies, then is alive again, is dead again. The plot is pure nonsensical gibberish with an end that emphasises just how pointless and incoherent the film is from start to finish. It can't be the worst film ever made but it must be in the ballpark. 0.5/10

Premonition The missus returned from Blockbuster with this one because there was feck all else, after we had a avoided it for some time. Given my very low expectations it was a refreshing change to find that it was far far worse than I had feared. Sandra Bullock's husband dies, then is alive again, is dead again. The plot is pure nonsensical gibberish with an end that emphasises just how pointless and incoherent the film is from start to finish. It can't be the worst film ever made but it must be in the ballpark. 0.5/10
That's the kind of thing that happens when the missus gets the movie. I've watched some bad films because my girlfriend picked them out.

That's the kind of thing that happens when the missus gets the movie. I've watched some bad films because my girlfriend picked them out.

To be fair she knew it was likely to be rubbish but we had seen everything else on the shelves worth watching.

so dont rent anything and have a night of hot romance instead

A bit difficult given my son isn't in bed yet when we watch this type of pap.

We then of course fall asleep on the sofa by the time he has nodded off. Friday nights are not good for romance in the Wibble household.

Be kind rewind. 7-10

Movie was ok and worth a watch,it's mainly based on an old struggling video store owned by a local music hero fats something.As sales are down and threats to his business and livelyhood come from restless property developers,two main characters played by jack black and mos def decide to make popular titles in swede form.This being a kinda b movie style with their own characteristics,titles such as robocop,driving miss daisy,lion king etc get covered.Towards the end the copyright people led by sigourney weaver slap an infringement on them which causes mos def and jack black to get the whole towns people ionvolved in a one off lifestpry film about the store owner fats.The acting was good,jack black wasn't as funny as usual but i guess not being the lead character behind danny glover and his step son mos def,he was kinda overshadowed.One thing i don't quite understand though is mos def's ability to turn from normal to a spastic during his acting.

Pierrot Le Fou. This, like most Godard films is not for everyone. He has a certain style that many don't care for. However, if you do like his other films, this one is sure to be one you like. While not as good as Contempt, Band of Outsiders or Breathless, this is still a really good movie.

has anyone seen Mr. Brooks ?

Just wondering if its any good, might hire it out tonight

thanks

Batman Begins was easily better then the old disney style batmans.

We own the night was a very good movie as was American gangster, both a watch if you havent seen them yet.

Exterminating Angels

I stumbled onto this film at about 3am on Friday night. I didn't really know much about what was happening in the film other than some guy was making a film about women's sensuality, or something and he'e somewhat of a jerk. anyway this is a great film with tons of lesbian sex. one chick is so hot it's incredible, her tits are out of this world. enjoy!

If you are in Ontario (Canada) it is currently available on the Movie Network on Demand.

9/10.

The Darjeeling Limited

I'm not a fan of Wes Anderson. I also find Owen Wilson's voice incredibly grating so I didn't go into this with very high expectations.

Anderson sticks to his usual MO of smacking the viewer in the face with the movie's messages and metaphors. Fair enough, the tone is a bit off-beat but a little bit more subtlety might have been nice.

I also didn't care much for the humour, which is mostly just a load of forced incongruities. It's fine in small doses but I don't know why writers bother with it sometimes. It just smacks of a lack of confidence in being able to write proper jokes.

Anyway, for all its faults, it's still probably the most memorable film I seen in the last couple of weeks. And that's mainly down to the setting in India. He's not my favourite director, but Anderson does know how to frame a scene and he uses colour and music really well. The film itself deserves a 6, but the Indian setting bumps it up to a 7.

I'd love to go someday. I think I have family in Dehli, but from what I've heard, Mumbai seems to be the place to go. Hopefully it's improved a bit since they shot Salaam Bombay.

The Darjeeling Limited

I'm not a fan of Wes Anderson. I also find Owen Wilson's voice incredibly grating so I didn't go into this with very high expectations.

Anderson sticks to his usual MO of smacking the viewer in the face with the movie's messages and metaphors. Fair enough, the tone is a bit off-beat but a little bit more subtlety might have been nice.

I also didn't care much for the humour, which is mostly just a load of forced incongruities. It's fine in small doses but I don't know why writers bother with it sometimes. It just smacks of a lack of confidence in being able to write proper jokes.

Anyway, for all its faults, it's still probably the most memorable film I seen in the last couple of weeks. And that's mainly down to the setting in India. He's not my favourite director, but Anderson does know how to frame a scene and he uses colour and music really well. The film itself deserves a 6, but the Indian setting bumps it up to a 7.

I didn't hate it and given who the director was that is saying something. Perhaps not trying as hard as past efforts.

The Darjeeling Limited

I thought it was good nothing special 7/10 is spot on

I haven't liked any of his previous films at all. This was a better effort IMO.
It was my first Anderson film and I really enjoyed it, sweet and well shot. Nice story etc, stupid beginning but strong in all other areas. I'd say either 7/8 out of 10 but as I really enjoyed it I said 8 when I first reviewed it.

It was my first Anderson film and I really enjoyed it, sweet and well shot. Nice story etc, stupid beginning but strong in all other areas. I'd say either 7/8 out of 10 but as I really enjoyed it I said 8 when I first reviewed it.

I might have liked it more if I hadn't seen The Life Aquatic which I thought was possibly the most irritating and unfunny film in recent history.

Rodger Dodger

One of those films I'd heard good things about when it was released, but didn't get around to seeing it, then forgot that it existed. Was on BBC2 at the weekend so I caught it and it was excellent.

About an ultra-cynical advertising guy with a blatant misogynist streak, who gets lumbered with his innocent virgin nephew for the day. Said Nephew knows of Rogers lady-killing exploits and asks him to teach him the ways and hopefully get him a bunk-up.

Very sharp script and a nice watch. I recommend it.

7.895/10

"You drink that drink! Alcohol has been a social lubricant for thousands of years. What do you think, you're going to sit here tonight and reinvent the wheel?"

Be sure to keep us posted on any other movies you've not seen yet.

The Boss Of It All

New comedy by Lars Von Trier. Very funny set-up, with an actor hired to pretend to be the big boss of an IT company... he has no idea what they do and has to bluff it, which he does incredibly badly.

It's very funny until about halfway through, when it starts getting really wanky and up its own arse. Every now and again Von Trier pulls out to an exterior view of the office, and then tells us in voice over that he's now going to bring in another character, or why he made a particular decision in light of the expectations of the genre etc... feck off.

Then it gets really boring and stupid at the end. Still worth seeing though, but I'd wait for DVD if I were you cnuts, which mercifully I'm not.

Instead of a DOP, Von Trier used a computer programmed to point the camera at random, so that half the time the characters are only just in shot. Actually that aspect works surprisingly well... presumably in editing they cut out most of the ones where you're just seeing a wall or a foot. Still, what a cnut.