Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

The Machinist

Saw this last night after hearing quite a bit about it.Bale is phenomenal as usual, he looks fecking weird like that...Story was pretty weak though, and not handled very well IMO.The ending left me a bit flat, possibly could've been better.

I liked the Machinist, I think the somewhat down ending was in sync with the rest of the film. It is one of those where only when you go back and think about it, does it all fall into place. Challenging viewing, makes you use your head and read between the lines. I thought it was pretty damn good and as you say, Bale was excellent, as per.

7/10

Just watched Stranger than Fiction. Absolutely brilliant, I loved it. 8/10. Sorry for the lack of insight, i'm tired.

Ichi The Killer - Just watched this tonight (finally) insane film and I loved it 9/10, won't bother with any analysis as I know anyone that reads this thread probably already knows what it's about, if you don't just watch it.

Watched The Shutter the other day. Basically another Ringu clone. Didn't too much for me I'm afraid, 'twas all very predictable, that said, the ending was kinda of freaky. Shame that, I was expecting more.

Le Cercle Rouge - French New Wave heist film by Jean-Pierre Melville. It's not fast-paced as the film proceeds at a meditative pace, but it has a couple of good action shots and the long heist scene is rather well done. Enjoyable film. 8/10

Have you ever seen (Burne - part 3) starring Matt Domn. it was just great!!:angel:
The Bourne Ultimatum. Good movie. Division about it on here though. I liked it, spoony and wibble did not.

Just watched CSA: Confederate States of America. Humorous mockumentary about if the south had won the Civil War. Did tend to drag on a bit though. The fake commercials were for the most part pretty funny.

Death Sentence You have seen it all before. A modern Death Wish with nothing new or interesting to add. 5/10

Agreed.

*****(maybe) SPOILER ALERT ******

I love revenge movies, and Kevin Bacon delivered in the more demanding scenes, such as in the hospital when they hurried the kid away, and when he came home after the first "incident".

6/10

I'm watching Ergo Proxy, now.

Very intresting cyberpunk manga. I thought it was overrated but after 3 episodes, I've started to dig this stuff.

ErgoProxy.jpg

Ichi The Killer - Just watched this tonight (finally) insane film and I loved it 9/10, won't bother with any analysis as I know anyone that reads this thread probably already knows what it's about, if you don't just watch it.

I'm waiting to receive this off t'internet, lookin forward to it

Am I the only one who didn't like this movie? I've seen plenty of violent martial arts movies but the blood and gore in this just left me cold. When it tried to be realistic it fell short and when it tried to be cartoony it looked forced.

Maybe my tastes are just too sophisticated when it comes to seeing people kick and stab each other in the face, but the point that Miike was trying to make about the viewer's vicarious and voyeuristic consumption of screen violence fell short as a result. At least for me.

I am Legend - Shit
Zodiac - Alright
Resident Evil: Extinction: The first Resident evil movie I saw and it was worse than very very bad.

As I think I've mentioned before, I had the displeasure of watching 30 Days of Darkness, I Am Legend and Resident Evil: Extinction all on the same miserable day.They were all shitty and derivative takes on the same tired, old zombie genre. I tried to erase that day from my memory by headbutting the wall several times. Unfortunately real life doesn't tally with my childhood memory of Tom & Jerry cartoons and rather than forgetting about the movies, I now slur when I talk.

Lust, Caution 7/10

Well shot, great sets, great acting (what else can you expect from Tony Leung?), good directing, but ultimately the story was anti-climactic.
More like 4 - too long, too implausible and too shallow. Was Ang Lee taking the piss when about two hours into the movie one of the characters complains that waiting for two hours is too much? And how does a '50s design London taxi turn up in '40s Hong Kong?

Hairspray: A modern remake of the musical that was an adaptation of the original John Waters film from 88 with Divine as the mother. I remember enjoying the original but this remake is utter rubbish. Forgettable songs and John Travolta, in the Divine role, looking like a rugby player in fat suit on his way to a stag do thinking he is hilarious. The lardy lass who plays the lead is pretty good though. 3/10

Death At A Funeral British comedy that is truly hilarious at times even if the outcomes to one or two of set pieces are flagged too obviously. Well worth a watch. 8/10

SeveranceOdd British dark comedy with elements of a slasher movie. Watchable but it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. 6/10

I Am Legend Well paced and rather well done variation of a zombie movie. Could have explored the main characters fight for sanity due to being alone a bit more and made it a really good movie I suppose. Still there are some genuinely tense/scary bits and some really sad bits with Smith's usually likable screen persona to boot. 7/10

Apocalypto Not bad at all. Looks great and made well enough that the lack of English dialogue doesn't spoil it at all. Essentially a long chase movie but still well worth a watch.7/10

Once Irish film that is almost a musical (you will understand once you watch it). Essentially a simple love story told through a shared love of music. That makes it sound like a vomit inducing chick flick but it isn't. Made on a minuscule budget yet one of the best films I have seen in ages. 9/10

The Young Americans. Decent, but nothing special crime drama from the early 90's. It seems cops in movies are characterized by this: some love their family and are good parents(and will almost definitely get killed on the job) and the cop who is estranged from his family(has a good shot of living so that he can try to rectify his family situation).

Am I the only one who didn't like this movie? I've seen plenty of violent martial arts movies but the blood and gore in this just left me cold. When it tried to be realistic it fell short and when it tried to be cartoony it looked forced.

Maybe my tastes are just too sophisticated when it comes to seeing people kick and stab each other in the face, but the point that Miike was trying to make about the viewer's vicarious and voyeuristic consumption of screen violence fell short as a result. At least for me.

It's not for everyone - I myself didn't dig the sado-masochistic overtones of the film. The violence oscillates from a very shocking quasi-realism to slapstick, B-movie gore. While the latter type of ultraviolence is fairly palatable and entertaining, some of the torture and rape scenes really push the envelope. The film is obviously meant to be surreal, but some of the violent scenes still shocked me in the same way as scenes in films like American History X.

You're not the only one. I've never cared for it.

You're not the only one. I've never cared for it.
Still not seen it myself, i'm told by people i trust it is excellent though. Who knows?

Watched the Last Kiss with Zach Braff the other night and thought it was surprisingly decent. Had a relatively good close examination of relationships and was pretty steady throughout. It is in no way funny however so don't watch it expecting laughs. 6/10

Anyone else seen it?

Still not seen it myself, i'm told by people i trust it is excellent though. Who knows?

Watched the Last Kiss with Zach Braff the other night and thought it was surprisingly decent. Had a relatively good close examination of relationships and was pretty steady throughout. It is in no way funny however so don't watch it expecting laughs. 6/10

Anyone else seen it?
Seen it. The original Italian version is better. I recommend it. The Zach Braff version is decent.

Just watched Willie Dynamite. Now I love blaxploitation as much as the next middle class white guy, but this one just didn't do it for me. It felt a bit long and the ending was rubbish.

saw Atonement on Sat night with the missus. I had no idea what it was all about prior to agreeing to go. That'll learn me.

I hope to get that $20 back soon but the 2 hours are lost forever.