Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Stacy. It's as if someone gave the worst student in the history of film school money to make his student film. As cool as zombie schoolgirls sound, this movie is utter shit.

Never said it was a classic, Ole....just pandered to my passing interest in Japanese schoolgirls!;)

The Man Who Wasn't There was very good. Again, a fantastic looking film by the Coens. They know their onions.

can someone recommend me a few surreal/weird/lynch-type films? Oh I think I've seen most of Lynch and Miike's work.

can someone recommend me a few surreal/weird/lynch-type films? Oh I think I've seen most of Lynch and Miike's work.

If you want surreal, try Un Chien Andalou or L'Age D'Or by Bunuel...that'll blow your mind, and see where Lynch gets some of his influences from. Make absolutely no narrative sense but good for a chin scratch!

I've only seen The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie by Bunuel.

Have you seen Grindhouse yet, Hammer or anyone for that matter?

Discreet Charm was bubbling under for my top 100 (wonder what Topper would have made of that one!).

No haven't seen Grindhouse yet. Somehow couldn't get excited about either films. Maybe an experiment that didn't have the legs (if you pardon the pun with regards to Rodriguez).

I"ve seen it. It was alright. PLanet Terror was better than the other one.

Hammer, have you seen anything by Bresson?

Only seen Pickpocket (which I completely forgot about for my short list, thanks for reminding me!)...had to study it at uni when I did a paper on Existensialism in film, focusing on Taxi Driver. Scorsese and Schrader refer to this a lot as a source of inspiration.

feck it, I'll just fail them all and say they know nothing about films. Apart from the pretty girl who sits at the back and has chosen to analyse The Elephant Man...she can get a pass, with extra after hours revison with yours truly!

I would take advantage of her if I were you. I still can;t believe Billy Bob's character turned down a blowjob from Miss Johansson in The Man Who Wasn't There. I was in utter disbelief.

I've seen Grindhouse. If you're looking for a movie that's straight out of that era, watch Planet Terror. If you want to see how a modern day director interprets a grindhouse film, watch Death Proof. I love Planet Terror for its commitment to the genre. I love Death Proof because it's just a good movie.

I've seen Grindhouse. If you're looking for a movie that's straight out of that era, watch Planet Terror. If you want to see how a modern day director interprets a grindhouse film, watch Death Proof. I love Planet Terror for its commitment to the genre. I love Death Proof because it's just a good movie.
I didn't like either that much, though prefer Deathproof. Could see why some would like Planet Terror though but I could not relate to it at all.

Recent Horrors (last 10 years I mean) that may qualify as something watchable:

Haute Tension
Ju-on 1,2 (Takashi Shimizu)
The Ring
The Descent

Barely watchable:
The Hills Have Eyes

Potentially watchable:
The Mist (Darabont)

But you hold her grade in her hands. At the very least she'll think of Senor Spoonez whilst you're giving it to her. Win win for all parties really.

yeah, and she's got nice 'grades' to hold!

Somehow my reputation as a lecturer is going down the pan. I blame Spoony.

Recent Horrors (last 10 years I mean) that may qualify as something watchable:

Ju-on 1,2 (Takashi Shimizu)
The Ring
The Descent

Barely watchable:
The Hills Have Eyes

Potentially watchable:
The Mist (Darabont)

I haven't seen Haute Tension, but barring The Ring, the rest were rubbish. Tale of Two Sisters and Audition were both brilliant, though(recent horrors).