Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Shall We Dance, the Japanese original.
Surprise, surprise, the original was a whole lot better than the American remake.

Accepted.
Movie about some kids who don't get accepted in any college, then decided to create their own. It was stupidly fun and Blake Lively is as hot as ever.

The Kingdom
Nice action flick. With all the marketing about this is being a controversial movie, I don't know what's so controversial about this.

'Day of Darkness'

1/10

Low budget zombie movie. Meteor hits earth. Carries frozen parasites which turn people who werent drunk at the time into zombies. The parasite doesnt like alcohol in the bloodstream see. Laughable scenes as they perform an autopsy on a zombies over enlarged ball sack, out drops loads of spunk and an alien embryo! The only saving grace, and the reason i gave it 1 point was because there was a 10 second boobage shot

Juno - Witty, satirical film about an eccentric teenager (Ellen Page) who becomes pregnant and decides to give the baby to a couple (Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner) who can't have kids. Ellen Page's performance was quite impressive - one to watch out for. Good film overall.

Bridge to Terabithia

I thought this would be another Narnia, judging by the trailers, but apparently it's very much different. Based on the children book of the same name, it actually more about a friendship between two 12 year old children, Jess (Josh Hutcherson) and Leslie (AnnaSophia Robb). They have to deal with normal stuff that kids at that age have to, such as inattentive parents, bullies at school, etc. They found escapism in the made up world they created together, named Terabithia. The SF thankfully was kept to a minimum and the story pretty much revolves around the real world. The ending was a bit shocking and sad, but I thought it was handled well.

I loved this movie, one of the best family movie of 2007 I think, and a bit underrated. The trailer didn't do the movie justice. Apparently Disney feared that if the movie was sold as a friendship movie, it wouldn't do as good.

Juno - Witty, satirical film about an eccentric teenager (Ellen Page) who becomes pregnant and decides to give the baby to a couple (Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner) who can't have kids. Ellen Page's performance was quite impressive - one to watch out for. Good film overall.
I watched that last night as well. Very good movie. Funnier than I expected.

I am Legend. I enjoyed it. It wasn't a straight horror film, it dealt with other issues. Worth a watch.

The Guardian. Cliched and very predictable. Horrible choices arise when 2 women pick which movie to rent. I wanted to get a Russ Myer movie.

Bobby. Surprisingly interesting directorial effort from Mr. Mighty Duck himself Emilio Estevez. The story focuses on the hotel that Bobby Kennedy was shot at. At times it drags on a bit too long, but overall was interesting.

Spirited Away:
I had the DVD for 6 years, but only managed to watched it yesterday. I regret it took me that long to watch it. What an outstanding piece of cinema. I haven't seen Miyazaki work that I haven't like so far.
It's a breath of fresh air to have a great movie in 2D animation in the world of 3D animation that filled the cinema nowadays.

Warlords_2007_poster.jpg

This was one of my best movies for 2007. Watched it last week, before I Am Legend (which was shit), and was very pleasantly surprised. As good as A Better Tomorrow, and was about much the same thing - blood brotherhood, not letting your mates down, and temptation.

The Guardian. Cliched and very predictable. Horrible choices arise when 2 women pick which movie to rent. I wanted to get a Russ Myer movie.

Bobby. Surprisingly interesting directorial effort from Mr. Mighty Duck himself Emilio Estevez. The story focuses on the hotel that Bobby Kennedy was shot at. At times it drags on a bit too long, but overall was interesting.

The Guardian is fecking awful, pathetic

Spirited Away:
I had the DVD for 6 years, but only managed to watched it yesterday. I regret it took me that long to watch it. What an outstanding piece of cinema. I haven't seen Miyazaki work that I haven't like so far.
It's a breath of fresh air to have a great movie in 2D animation in the world of 3D animation that filled the cinema nowadays.

I've seen it five times. Brilliant movie. 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Read some terrible reviews on Bobby but Im definitely gonna watch it.

I've got super powers.

Have you seen the original Frankenstein? I thought it was very good, in fact it surprised me. 'It's ALIVE!!'

That said it should've been longer. . .and gone into more detail, perhaps showed more ill-treatment of the monster by the villagers.

That said it should've been longer. . .and gone into more detail, perhaps showed more ill-treatment of the monster by the villagers.

The follow-up, The Bride of Frankenstein is even better...definatley a rare case of a sequel being better than the original. There are four years seperating them but the difference in technique, effects, cinematography is incredible.

Bride will definately be on my top horror films list Spoonez - once I get around to finishing it, and providing I'm once more accepted into the bosom of Red Cafe's film fraternity! :D

The Golden Compass

Despite my concerns, I went to see this last night. Absolutely adored the books, right up there with Lord of the Rings IMO. I have been looking forward to seeing what they could do with this for a long time. Well, until Chris Weitz was named director anyway.

Excuse my french, but it was fecking appalling. Ten minutes in I knew it was a turkey of immense proportions, and it just got worse. No drama, no character structure, key elements revealed in the opening frames, details changed seemingly just for the sake of it that only hurt the story. It really couldn't have been any worse, and sadly nobody will ever get the chance to make the movie we should have received.

The second book has massive on-screen potential, but it looks like Weitz has ballsed it up for everyone. In fairness to him, he never wanted the job, but I can't imagine what he was thinking here. I honestly feel I could have done better. Direction was awful, casting was almost all wrong.

0/10. Seems an overly dramatic rating perhaps, but I cannot think of anything good to say about it. Some effects were decent.

The Golden Compass

Shit. I don't think the story translates well to the screen anyway - there's a great deal of scene setting to be done. I'm not particularly upset at all.

I Am Legend, however, was a fantastic movie story, and could have been so much better than what it was - a Will Smith action vehicle.

A post in the disturbing scene thread got me thinking about this movie. Have you seen Salo? I've never seen it, but have wanted to.

Watched it recently and it's pointless; it makes even some of the peverse and sadistic exploitation films seem oscar-worthy. It's a bit like Caligula in that respect.

This is England

Watched it last night.... best Brit movie I've seen for a while... the kid in it was excellent... Keith Chegwin.... :lol:

The Machinist

Saw this last night after hearing quite a bit about it.Bale is phenomenal as usual, he looks fecking weird like that...Story was pretty weak though, and not handled very well IMO.The ending left me a bit flat, possibly could've been better.

Watched it last night.... best Brit movie I've seen for a while... the kid in it was excellent... Keith Chegwin.... :lol:

Agreed but it faded out towards the end and the best character virtually disappeared once the scouse nutter arrived.

Once An incredibly small budget Irish film that won a prize at Sundance last year. Almost a musical since most of the simple love story is told throught the songs yet so much more. Simple but very moving. 9/10

Death Sentence You have seen it all before. A modern Death Wish with nothing new or interesting to add. 5/10