Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

La Belle et la bête, very good film. Visually stunning. I've not seen Disney's version but how do they compare?

Sweeney Todd - 6/10
Good performances from Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter, but a pretty mediocre movie. Very predictable plot, and character development is rather poor IMO. Doesn't help that I'm not particularly enamoured by slasher flicks and musicals, mind you.

The Savages - 7/10
Decent film about a brother and sister who place their estranged father into a nursing home after his girlfriend dies. There are a few witty elements, but there is a largely melancholic undertone throughout the movie. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Laura Linney, and Philip Bosco all put in strong performances.

User Name Posts
Spoonez el Grande 1,115
mehro 661
olesmyhero 347
Salvation 288
cinc 251
Wibble 228
Spammy 167
crappycraperson 138
Hammer Michael 94
golden_blunder 88
Kevrockcity 73
Plechazunga 70
Van Piorsing 53
Dr. Dwayne 45
reelworld 37
Donado 36
M160RA 33
Melbourne Red 32
Sam Atherton 29
RedNome 25
FreakyJim 24
noodlehair 23
The_Red_Hope 23
Steev 13
Shotgun raisin 13
prateik 12
Mihajlovic 12
sidsutton 12
FlawlessThaw 11
Wolverine 11
Wonder Pigeon 11
narnar 10
Suresh 10
Simon Adebesi 10
peterstorey 9
Small Paul 9
UBERScholes 8
Maroon Lucifer 8
Psmith 8
Mozza 7
Ballache 7
Bilbo 7
Davo 7
Kiwi_fan 7
Pronewbie 7
botond 7
p_ps_sock 6
Instant Karma 6
Hectic 6
Desert Eagle 6
utdalltheway 6
ILBB15 6
bbest 6
CounterStrike 5
EspadaYdaga 5
air_mood 5
Stobzilla 5
londonredmaniac 5
Eto'odinho 5
KingEric7 5
Livvie 4
Lizard King 4
sphinx 4
GazM 4
uae 4
Ivor Ballokov 4
redmanc 4
Huseyin10 4
SiYuan 4
poisson 4
Veron 4
dangerous_dave_ 3
Wolfboy 3
Paz 3
MancBoi 3
SmashedHombre 3
Oranje 3
zing 3
ste_michaels 3
mr.suave 3
Youngie 3
vanthaman 3
Rooney1987 3
dirtygringo 3
Dubai_Devil 3
kotler 3
Freak 2
RapidRed 2
Saints RL MUFC 2
VanNistelrater 2
USDevil 2
sully07 2
el eric 2
Jacob 2
Ronaldo07 2
Giggsy PO 2
MarliMan 2
REd FUn DevIl 2
Balloonless 2
Cold_Boy 2
Alex 2
ciderman9000000 2
redbunny 2
phunky 2
dor 2
spinoza 2
redzeppelin 2
midfieldred 2
Dresilved 2
Diver 2
Wizard Keyaz 2
Rahul 2
pjaya 2
MS MSP 2
wancolos 2
Diego Forlans Headband 1
Godson 1
enghuei 1
Frosty 1
Man Utd Mrs 1
goldenballs 1
RUUD_10_LEGEND 1
[Hellboy]17 1
skillz 1
heightmassive 1
bergen 1
francobaresi 1
Dublin 1
Rutilus Diabolu 1
Iron Stove 1
Noy yo Fdart 1
GiggsysGirl 1
SittingBull 1
bazalini 1
Nialler 1
Buzz 1
becca 1
MrBurns 1
McCool 1
eric le roi 1
cesc's_mullet 1
James Parkin 1
iguanamanc 1
101 1
Torres_gay_mullet 1
blakeMC68030EC 1
Joe Stalin 1
ManUinOz 1
032Devil 1
manutd4ever10 1
RUnited 1
Gazza 1
redland 1
TuTuHimm 1
Redlambs 1
BRobson 1
December_16 1
Dr Do/dont 1
DanNistelrooy 1
kelvinhole 1

Watched A street car named desire the other day as well. Both lead protagonists fascinated me. The delivery of 'I have always depended on the kindness of strangers' line in the end was fantastic.

SPOILERS

Though I am not sure of Brando raping her in the final scene. Couldn't make out how it went with the story. May watch it again.

Watched A street car named desire the other day as well. Both lead protagonists fascinated me. The delivery of 'I have always depended on the kindness of strangers' line in the end was fantastic.

SPOILERS

Though I am not sure of Brando raping her in the final scene. Couldn't make out how it went with the story. May watch it again.

Was very ambiguous. I don't think he raped her, mainly becasue she was going insane. . .and could've easily made it up. Brilliant film, though, one of the best I've seen. Vivian Leigh and Brando were amazing. Hey, Stella! Watch On the Waterfront, Brando turned it into a great film.

Was very ambiguous. I don't think he raped her, mainly becasue she was going insane. . .and could've easily made it up. Brilliant film, though, one of the best I've seen. Vivian Leigh and Brando were amazing. Hey, Stella! Watch On the Waterfront, Brando turned it into a great film.
I read on wiki that in the play they make it clear he did it.

And yes, I am watching waterfront tomorrow.

Watched 30 Days of Night yesterday.
I love it, a bit jumpy in places, especially between the days, but it was a solid effort. I'm glad they keep the ending like the graphic novel.

Anyone watch 'Chaplin' last night? The real life Paulette Levy was well tasty. . .but Diane Lane's tits made up for that.

Loved Barton Fink, although I'm not sure whether everything was literal or metaphorical. Miller's Crossing was good too, but I thought Barton Fink was the better film.

Oh and I'm downloading The Man Who Wasn't There and Hudsucker Proxy.

I'll probably check out Blood Simple and rewatch Raising Arizona, Fargo and Big Lebowski. That'll be the Coen Brothers out of the way.

I'll probably check out Blood Simple and rewatch Raising Arizona, Fargo and Big Lebowski. That'll be the Coen Brothers out of the way.

You should definatley check out Blood Simple, Spoons....cracking neo-Noir. If I could, I would have included in my Top 100 with every Coen film from this to The Man Who Wasn't There (just put in Fargo, mores the pity).

Watch On the Waterfront, Brando turned it into a great film.

Superb movie that.

Just saw "Until the Devil Knows You're Dead". Top film. Extremely tense look at folks getting in above their heads. That and Marissa Tomei gets them out. 43 years old. Wow.:drool:

It's too weird to be taken literally.

Just about everything in the movie is symbolic.[some kind of spoiler] I suspect most of it is in Barton Fink's head.[end]

Just got Stacy in the mail. Isn't that the zombie cheerleader film you mentioned, Hammer?

That's the one Ole! Love to know what its like with Englsih sub-titles...I have perfected my Dutch and Japanese through repeated viewings of a film about zombie Asian schoolgirls!

Lots of references to George Romero, Sam Raimi and the Evil Dead films.

Just about everything in the movie is symbolic.[some kind of spoiler] I suspect most of it is in Barton Fink's head.[end]

Agreed Freaky...its loaded with symbolism....great film. The last fifteen minutes are amongst the weirdest and scariest the Coen's have ever produced.

"I'll show you the life of the mind!"

Basically he was the one wrestling with himself? The burning hotel was that a metaphor for hell?

I bet you've never seen the entire film and stopped at the boobs(if there are any, if there aren't what sort of schoolgirl film is this).

Can I take the 'fifth' on that question?:o

To be honest I don't remember any nudity as such...just hot schoolgirls wielding chainsaws and turning into zombies...I think its a whole new sub-genre in itself!;)

Basically he was the one wrestling with himself? The burning hotel was that a metaphor for hell?

I would say so...they based it on the writer Clifford Odets, who went through a similar writer's block...so it's definately a metaphor for a personal hell.

The John Goodman character could therefore be a sub-concious creation of himself...the 'heil Hitler' speech near the end being a reaction to the anti-Semitism of the two cops.

Cheers Spoons....I'm going to be thinking about this all evening now!

I would say so...they based it on the writer Clifford Odets, who went through a similar writer's block...so it's definately a metaphor for a personal hell.

The John Goodman character could therefore be a sub-concious creation of himself...the 'heil Hitler' speech near the end being a reaction to the anti-Semitism of the two cops.

Cheers Spoons....I'm going to be thinking about this all evening now!

Interesting. In that case I think it's much better than Adaptation. I loved the Lynch-like weirdness. I love surreal films.

Must watch it again sometime.

Hudsucker Proxy. Newman was top. Loved his character. Loved the whole style of the film too, then again, most films by the Coen Brothers look amazing. Jennifer Jason Leigh was also very good, (I think she was mimicking actress' of silver screen). I didn't think the film as as good as Barton Fink, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I can;t wait to see No Country for Old Men, Blood Simple and the Man Who Wasn't There.