Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

You're right Wibble, there are five...I forgot about the workprint version which has never been seen before.

You must have the same version as me...came out about two weeks ago in the metal box?

I ordered mine in BleRay from Amazon in the states and a second copy in the suitacse with all the bits and pieces to put away in the hope it becomes valuable (or until I get pissed and want to open it up). It was allegedly dispatched to me today which means it should reach me down under just before or after Christmas. Don't tell me anything about the Final Cut please.

It is a limited edition.

To what I can't say. Contains toys and a letter signed by Ridley Scott. Allegedly each one was signed personally but I'll believe that when I see it.

I intend to leave it in the packaging n'all. And wait 20 years.

And I can more than double my money by selling it in Australia because it is far more in the shos here and may not be available in BlueRay yet.

Not that I will.

What are the odds I get pissed when watching it over the holiday and end up opening the suitacase, playing with the toys and getting red wine on the letter?

Pretty high I'd say.

I bought the ordinary 5 disc version to try to avoid this but I'm not good at collecting stuff.

Nobody seems to know.

Which can't be good.

And the cnuts have just told me that there is a shipping delay.

They say limited numbered cases and a signed personal letter from Sidley Scott. Not personally signed letter mind. Loads of nerds are wanking themselves to sleep obver the prospect of having his actual signature. Given the careful wording I think they may be wanking in vain. Again.

bladerunner5discultimatedvd.jpg

Pirates of the Carribean 3

I didn't want to watch this...ever. However I lost the home vote to the missus. Didn't like the first one, hated the second one and got about an hour and twenty minutes through this before I had to pull rank and turn it off. Just shite. Not convincing as a pirate movie, not funny, Knightley's not sexy and I don't get the Jack Sparrow character at all.

2/10, because they seemed to make an effort.

Pirates of the Carribean 3

I didn't want to watch this...ever. However I lost the home vote to the missus. Didn't like the first one, hated the second one and got about an hour and twenty minutes through this before I had to pull rank and turn it off. Just shite. Not convincing as a pirate movie, not funny, Knightley's not sexy and I don't get the Jack Sparrow character at all.

2/10, because they seemed to make an effort.
So to get out of watching this I put on National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. (Found the boxset of these vacation films, don't remember buying them though)

Next to POTR 3 it played like the fecking Godfather trilogy. Chevy Chase is ever likeable, and the scene where he turns on his Christmas lights raised a chuckle. Stupid, but in a good way. Not as good as the one with Wallyworld in it, but Christmassy, if thats a word.

5/10, for Chevy Chase.

They say limited numbered cases and a signed personal letter from Sidley Scott. Not personally signed letter mind. Loads of nerds are wanking themselves to sleep obver the prospect of having his actual signature. Given the careful wording I think they may be wanking in vain. Again.

bladerunner5discultimatedvd.jpg

Christ, that's some disc set.

Just seen Throne of Blood. Ran's my fav Kurosawa but this one isn't far behind. Magnificent film.

So to get out of watching this I put on National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. (Found the boxset of these vacation films, don't remember buying them though)

Next to POTR 3 it played like the fecking Godfather trilogy. Chevy Chase is ever likeable, and the scene where he turns on his Christmas lights raised a chuckle. Stupid, but in a good way. Not as good as the one with Wallyworld in it, but Christmassy, if thats a word.

5/10, for Chevy Chase.

I love that film.

Watched Eastern Promises last night, thought it was very good although I agree with whoever said it wasn't as good as History of violence. Some very understated performances that made sure the film didn't become sentimental and you get to see Viggo Mortenson's penis which was an added bonus :nervous:.

Oh and Vincent Cassell is brilliant in it.

Watched Closer on tele last night.

Not bad, bit talky, bit predictable. Probably best suited for the stage. First time I've ever thought Natalie Portman looked worth a bone.

6.544 out of ten. 1.544 for Natalie Portman gyrating around a pole in her underwear.

Eastern Promises was a crappy, boring, naive anti- sex traffic piece of crap.

Cronenberg should stick to what he does better - sci-fi films.

Has anyone seen the Sean Penn directed Into The Wild.

Heard good things...but that's all so far.

There's one of his I want to see from a few years back called The Indian Runner...its loosely based on a Springsteen song called Highway Patrolman.

Last night I watched Wonder Boys.

Enjoyed it immensely actually. Can't really put my finger on why, but its the sort of film I'd happily watch a few times. Michael Douglas was excellent as the weed-smoking professor struggling to finish his book, Tobey Maguire wasn't terrible and Robert Downey Jr was predictably superb.

I recommend it highly, although people looking for explosions and car chases should look elsewhere.

8/10.

So what if we beat you...then do Arsenal two days later??? Does that earn a reprieve?

Hows the list going anyway?

That would clearly help your cause. As for my list, at the moment I'm trying to watch as many films as I can. I'll draw up my list in a fortnight. We could update it next year, though, will be interesting to see any sort of change.

What about your list?

I made the horrible mistake of watching I Now Pronounce You Bob And Larry (or whatever that pile of steaming fetid dingo kidneys is called).

As bad as Talladega Nights if you can believe that.

0/10

What are you talkng about. Talladega Nights was a masterpiece. And Chuck & Larry was some kind of remake of an Australian movie, bound to fail.

The best thing you can say about Anchorman is that the single joke worked for a couple of minutes. Shame the film was 4 months long. In Talladega nights the single joke, assuming there was one, wasn't even vaguely amusing.

And Chuck & Larry was some kind of remake of an Australian movie, bound to fail.

No it wasn't, it was based on a book. There was a very similar Aussie film called, I think, strange bedfellows but they obviously didn't see this because they would never have made Chuck and Larry if they had. Although in the end Chuck and Larry was even worse. Utter shite. I should have known better but I wanted something brainless and enjoyable for Friday night. I overshot the first want and missed the second totally.

Well, I thought they were both very funny. I still love you both, and if I knew you, you would both be getting this for Christmas from me :D

index.jpg

It comes in a bottle so you don't have to!

The best thing you can say about Anchorman is that the single joke worked for a couple of minutes. Shame the film was 4 months long. In Talladega nights the single joke, assuming there was one, wasn't even vaguely amusing.

It's clearly a film for 12 year olds.

Ole, check out Kaidan. Stunning film, probably as good as anything I've seen aesthetically. Basically it's a film containing four separate ghost stories, the first one being the weakest, the other three however were excellent, the third one was probably my favourite. I'd say it's the best Japanese film I've seen yet. . .and one of the best films I've seen, full stop.

Stunning piece of work.

Last night I watched Wonder Boys.

Enjoyed it immensely actually. Can't really put my finger on why, but its the sort of film I'd happily watch a few times. Michael Douglas was excellent as the weed-smoking professor struggling to finish his book, Tobey Maguire wasn't terrible and Robert Downey Jr was predictably superb.

I recommend it highly, although people looking for explosions and car chases should look elsewhere.

8/10.

great film, that one.

It's clearly a film for 12 year olds.

Ole, check out Kaidan. Stunning film, probably as good as anything I've seen aesthetically. Basically it's a film containing four separate ghost stories, the first one being the weakest, the other three however were excellent, the third one was probably my favourite. I'd say it's the best Japanese film I've seen yet. . .and one of the best films I've seen, full stop.

Stunning piece of work.
Saw it a couple years ago. Very well made movie.