Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Eureka (dir. Nic Roeg)

Strange cast (Gene Hackman, Joe Pesci, Mickey Rourke, Rutger Hauer), strange plot, strange direction, strange murder, strange courtcase bit, strange ending.

Strange film. 4 out of 10 (for strangeness).

Hows that for coincidence?

Had a Nic Roeg day yesterday (took a day off from teaching, bliss!). Watched the following:

Walkabout
Man Who Fell To Earth
Don't Look Now
Performance (even though he didn't direct, its still very much a Nic Roeg film)

Blimey - 4 films in one day! Haven't seen many of Roeg's films apart from Performance and Walkabout. Always visually interesting. Need to see Don't Look Now though.

I noticed there's a Roeg film on over Xmas - Track 29. Is it any good?

The Cranes are Flying
Closely Watched Trains
Ashes and Diamonds
Kanal
Night and the City
Contempt
Tokyo Drifter

to name a few

Worth it simply for a surreal nightclub fight!!! Typical of the Japanese 'Yakuza' films of the 1960s...the colour is so over-the-top! A good if slightly barmy gangster film!:)

Blimey - 4 films in one day! Haven't seen many of Roeg's films apart from Performance and Walkabout. Always visually interesting. Need to see Don't Look Now though.

I noticed there's a Roeg film on over Xmas - Track 29. Is it any good?

Its certainly watchable, but not one of his greats. Spoony has said that Don't Look Now divides people on here...would be interesting to hear from those who don't rate it as to why. In my opinion one of THE classics of the 1970s - and chilly in mood as the backstreets of Venice in winter!

Notorious. Not exactly what I was expecting, I'd say it was more of a film noir/romance. Having said that, it was a great film and I loved it. Tolkein was clearly influenced, the hack.

It's a bit like LOTR. I've been wanting to see that for a while. Keep forgetting to download it. I've seen Funny Games, and I thought it was a bit disappointing.

I don't mind slow films.

Tarkovsky's films are slow. I think you have to be in the right mood. That said, so are Kitano's movies. . .and I've loved most of his stuff, especially Sonatine and Dolls.

Watched Straw Dogs last night, fantastic film. Went a bit OTT near the end but it didn't spoil the film. Anyone else seen this?

No. I'd imagine it'd be slow. Is it one of the ones of people just sitting around smoking? I heard he made a few of those.

Empire State is something like 12 hours of the building, taken from one spot with no cuts. The only 'action' consists of lights going on and off.

He made one called 'Sleep'...which, funnily enough was about a man sleeping...for about eight hours. He could have filmed last season's Cup Final, pruned six hours off the running time, and achieved the same result!:D