Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Little Miss Sunshine. I must be missing something because I don't see why everybody was raving about this movie. The first half hour or so is funny enough, but then it takes a complete dive and becomes too over the top and not that funny. Overall, not worth a recommendation.

:nono:

You're wrong

Excellent movie

African Queen starring Bogey and Hepburn. Basically, it was LOTR stripped down. no orcs, no silly hobbits, no daft ring, no elves, no amazing mountain scenery. But it was the same story, two people head down a river in deepest Africa, with the aim of taking out a Germany boat, with home-made torpedoes. LOTR??? you're probably saying. Well yes, it was a triumph over adversity as they headed to their destination.

But why? Explain to me what I am missing.

Everything really, the whole thing was brilliant. It was well shot, well directed, filled with brilliant performances, subtle, excellently written and with brilliant characters, a sweet compelling and yet strangely tragic story filled with amusement and value, the family were just perfect at being disfunctional, the youth actress was not totally irritating but actually quite talented and along with all of that it had a fantastic ending leaving me feeling warm and fuzzy inside :nervous:

I'm sure, as with everything in life, it is a matter of taste but I must say that it is the one film I can turn to at any moment and be completely happy the entire way through. I just do not tire of it and that is really something.

Why didn't you enjoy it?

Everything really, the whole thing was brilliant. It was well shot, well directed, filled with brilliant performances, subtle, excellently written and with brilliant characters, a sweet compelling and yet strangely tragic story filled with amusement and value, the family were just perfect at being disfunctional, the youth actress was not totally irritating but actually quite talented and along with all of that it had a fantastic ending leaving me feeling warm and fuzzy inside :nervous:

I'm sure, as with everything in life, it is a matter of taste but I must say that it is the one film I can turn to at any moment and be completely happy the entire way through. I just do not tire of it and that is really something.

Why didn't you enjoy it?
It went too absurd for my tastes. His dad dies so he puts him in the car and continues on with the trip. What the feck? I just didn't think the movie really went anywhere.

It went too absurd for my tastes. His dad dies so he puts him in the car and continues on with the trip. What the feck? I just didn't think the movie really went anywhere.
It sounds as cheesey as hell but it wasn't about the actual trip, as such, it was more about the journey of each character. They all developed so well during the film moving from a disfunctional group of messed up individuals into a much better more understanding unit. Hard to explain that part really, but it just adds so much weight to the movie, making it irresistable to me.

It sounds as cheesey as hell but it wasn't about the actual trip, as such, it was more about the journey of each character. They all developed so well during the film moving from a disfunctional group of messed up individuals into a much better more understanding unit. Hard to explain that part really, but it just adds so much weight to the movie, making it irresistable to me.
Don't think I'll ever see it as a good movie.

Screwball comedies aren't supposed to be realistic. I thought it was a good movie; top 100 ever might be stretching it, but it was definitely one of the best movies from 2006.

The Last King of Scotland.

the_last_king_of_scotland_dvdrip_xvid-diamond.jpg

Based on Giles Foden's novel, The Last King of Scotland gives an insight to the life of Ugandan president Idi Amin Dada. I was a bit disapointed that they didn't go into more depth of the politics of Dadas reign, but overall it was a good movie and I enjoyed it.

The Year My Parents Went on Vacation
Brilliant little movie.
Set in Brazil Jewish community in 1970, the movie focused on a boy named Mauro, who was forced to live with a Rabbi, because his parents have to escape the government due to their leftist political views.

I love the humour and the chemistry between the actors. It was a heartwarming and funny story. The football angle (since the boy is a football fan and the movie timeline was set during the 1970 World Cup) was also good. I would recommend this to anyone.

No Country for Old Men
Javier Bardem is one badass actor!
Starred as a meticulous but ruthless assassin he really own the screen every time he's on. The story is quite simple, about a man who have to run for his life after found himself in possession of 2 million dollars cash, which is the result of a drug deal went wrong.
I never watched a Coen Brothers movie before, but this first experience was a great ride.

A Guide to Recognizing Your Saint
A personal story about Dito Montell, a boy who runs away from his family and end up as successful writer later in life. When his father got sick, he went home to try and patch things up with the people he left behind. Shia Lebouf was fantastic as young Montell. Channing Tatum as well, whose role I've seen so far was in Coach Carter.

Loved The 39 Steps. Not as tense as Dial M for Murder(my last Hitchcock film), but it was more subtle overall, especially the humour, which I've not found in other Hitchcock films (could be put down to the fact it was a totally English film and the humour was very English). Oh and Robert Donat who played Hannay was born and bred in Withington, Manchester. He's my new hero.

PS it was a tad like LOTR.

Loved The 39 Steps. Not as tense as Dial M for Murder(my last Hitchcock film), but it was more subtle overall, especially the humour, which I've not found in other Hitchcock films (could be put down to the fact it was a totally English film and the humour was very English). Oh and Robert Donat who played Hannay was born and bred in Withington, Manchester. He's my new hero.

PS it was a tad like LOTR.
So any movie where people have to walk to their destination and endure hardships is like LOTR?

I thought it was ok, but I didn't particularly like it. The last scene was good, though.

I've just seen Breathless. First of all, it was cool as feck. I loved free roaming camera style and I liked the way Godard took out some frames - no idea what this technique is called. Score was cool too. But I didn't love the film. Which has pissed me right off.

OK, will do. Probably next week, though. I might watch Alphaville tonight.

Oh and have you seen Straw Dogs, Fahrenheit 451(peter recommended it) or Glengarry Glen Ross? They've just finished downloading?

And you should watch Lilja 4-ever. I thought it was really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300140/

Oh and have you seen Straw Dogs, Fahrenheit 451(peter recommended it) or Glengarry Glen Ross? They've just finished downloading?

I've heard of that one. Might look more heavily into watching it now.

Spoony, watch Festen then.

I found Festen really tough going....a colleague is a massive fan of Dogme films, which has caused many a heated argument in the staff office. Think of the fight between Hugh Grant and Colin Firth and that's even more hardcore than two 40-ish academics going for each other over Danish independent cinema!!!

Mamet at his best! The scene with Alec Baldwin alone is worth it...one of the all time great cameos!

Every single member of the cast is shit-hot and turn in probable career-best performances (ncluding Pacino and Lemmon!!!).

I haven't bothered enough to watch any other Dogme films after I was told that Festen was the best of the lot. I think it was Spammy who said that. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. European acting feels like a breath of fresh air if you've been watching too many Hollywood movies. I feel I tend to enjoy even mediocre French and German movies far more than most Hollywood ones that come out now.

For example, With a Friend like Harry was not a great movie by any standards but Sergi Lopez's acting made it an excellent watch I thought. Of course then he decided to do a very similar character in Pan's Labyrinth and this time it didn't quite have the same effect.

I haven't bothered enough to watch any other Dogme films after I was told that Festen was the best of the lot. I think it was Spammy who said that. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. European acting feels like a breath of fresh air if you've been watching too many Hollywood movies. I feel I tend to enjoy even mediocre French and German movies far more than most Hollywood ones that come out now.

For example, With a Friend like Harry was not a great movie by any standards but Sergi Lopez's acting made it an excellent watch I thought. Of course then he decided to do a very similar character in Pan's Labyrinth and this time it didn't quite have the same effect.
I generally agree that I enjoy foreign films more than Amerian ones. I think it has to be down to the differences in culture which is reflected on screen.

I would recommend L'Appartement, Delicatessen, La Haine(if you've not already seen it), La Reine Margot, Run Lola Rennet, Sur mes lèvres, Das Experiment(you'll love this one), and that Lilja 4-ever to you Mehro. Have you seen the Colours Trilogy? that's a classic. I still haven't seen Cité des enfants perdus.

I would recommend L'Appartement, Delicatessen, La Haine(if you've not already seen it), La Reine Margot, Run Lola Rennet, Sur mes lèvres, Das Experiment(you'll love this one), and that Lilja 4-ever to you Mehro. Have you seen the Colours Trilogy? that's a classic. I still haven't seen Cité des enfants perdus.

Only seen La Haine and Run Lola Run from that list so far.