Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Yep. I don't think it really matters, though. The film works well enough without the last couple of mins.

Watched the fifth Harry Potter film last night. Not sure why. My expectations were low and I wasn't dissappointed.

Prisoner of Azkaban remains the only one worth even the smallest recommendation.

All the Potter movies have been shite, bar Goblet

I'll stop too
I'll give it two out of ten, bumped up to three because Hermiones becoming quite shaggable, and its probably now legal to say so.

Eureka (dir. Nic Roeg)

Strange cast (Gene Hackman, Joe Pesci, Mickey Rourke, Rutger Hauer), strange plot, strange direction, strange murder, strange courtcase bit, strange ending.

Strange film. 4 out of 10 (for strangeness).

Eureka (dir. Nic Roeg)

Strange cast (Gene Hackman, Joe Pesci, Mickey Rourke, Rutger Hauer), strange plot, strange direction, strange murder, strange courtcase bit, strange ending.

Strange film. 4 out of 10 (for strangeness).

Hows that for coincidence?

Had a Nic Roeg day yesterday (took a day off from teaching, bliss!). Watched the following:

Walkabout
Man Who Fell To Earth
Don't Look Now
Performance (even though he didn't direct, its still very much a Nic Roeg film)

What did you think of Don't Look Now?

A film I can never tire of. Its definately in my top 100.

I have been to Venice about four times, each time during the summer, but really want to go out of season, just to see if its like the film!

Julie Christie - yummy!!!!!;)

A film I can never tire of. Its definately in my top 100.

I have been to Venice about four times, each time during the summer, but really want to go out of season, just to see if its like the film!

Julie Christie - yummy!!!!!;)

Seems to divide opinions that one.

What did you think of Hiroshima mon amour, Hammer? I loved it. Kitano's, WKW's and Zhang's films are very similar in terms of aesthetics and pacing.(Coppola's Lost on Translation shares many aspects too)

What's the negative vibe on Don't Look Now, Spooney? Can't say I've met many people who don't rate it.

Haven't seen Hiroshima Mon Amour for many many years...like most French films from that period I was probably in awe of it.

This has brought up another film by Resnais that I really liked - Last Year at Marienbad. Seeen that one, anyone?

My mates fecked up Chinatown for me. Kept on complaining that it was too slow. I've never watched a proper film with them again.

Oh and did you see Manchurian Candidate? also check out Dial M for Murder. I think you'll love both. I can tell which films you'll like.

No, the one I downloaded was upside down. I couldn't be arsed to tilt my head upside down for the whole duration of the film. And Manchurian Candidate isn't really a war movie.

I will watch it. I've downloaded loads of French films, I'll watch them this week. And I've also got African Queen, Being There, Once Upon a Time in the West and Vertigo to watch.

The deadline is 31 Dec.

Watched The Proposition last night. Having been told it was one of the best movies of last year I must say I felt it was a little dissapointing in that respect. It was good don't get me wrong; absolutely stunningly shot in Australia, well acted and compelling but it just lacked a little something that would have taken it from good to brilliant. Anyway, if you like proper or serious films (i.e. can stand having to a do a bit of the work for yourself) then its definately a rewarding experience.

Anyone else seen it?

Probably won't make anyone's list, but just had to watch Over the Hedge with the kids...not bad as far as those Dreamworks animations go.

Plan to watch The Good German this evening with the missus...anyone seen it?

Watched The Proposition last night. Having been told it was one of the best movies of last year I must say I felt it was a little dissapointing in that respect. It was good don't get me wrong; absolutely stunningly shot in Australia, well acted and compelling but it just lacked a little something that would have taken it from good to brilliant. Anyway, if you like proper or serious films (i.e. can stand having to a do a bit of the work for yourself) then its definately a rewarding experience.

Anyone else seen it?
Yeah I thought it was really good. Probably one of last year's top 10.

Watched 2 movies in an international movie festival last night.

1. The Namesake
A story about an indian family who lives in USA, their son tries to cut off his cultural root and embraces the american culture, until his adulthood teaches him otherwise. Good movie.

2. Love and Honor (Bushi no ichibun)
About a husband who lost his eyesight, which causes him to sink into depression and contemplates suicides, his wife stops him from committing the act and so on. Decent movie.

Le Samourai. Very cold and clinical. I thought the first hour or so was brilliant, then it drifted a bit. Last half an hour, however, was fantastic, the ending in particular was superb. I guess it was a film about a lone wolf, so it captured the essence perfectly. Surely it must've influenced Leon??

Le Samourai. Very cold and clinical. I thought the first hour or so was brilliant, then it drifted a bit. Last hour an hour, however, was fantastic, the ending in particular was superb. I guess it was a film about a lone wolf, so it captured the essence perfectly. Surely it must've influenced Leon??
And also John Woo's The Killer if I remember correctly. Le Samourai is a fantastic movie. Seen any other Melville movies, spoonez?

The only one, I think. How do Le Cercle Rough and Bob le Flambeur compare?

By the way, have you seen L'Apartment, Ole?

The only one, I think. How do Le Cercle Rough and Bob le Flambeur compare?

By the way, have you seen L'Apartment, Ole?
Both Le Cercle Rouge and Bob Le Flambeur are fantastic. Bob was remade a couple years ago as The Good Thief with Nick Nolte.

I haven't seen L'Appartment. I'm pretty sure it was remade as Wicker Park a few years back. Been wanting to see the original.

Little Miss Sunshine. I must be missing something because I don't see why everybody was raving about this movie. The first half hour or so is funny enough, but then it takes a complete dive and becomes too over the top and not that funny. Overall, not worth a recommendation.

Little Miss Sunshine. I must be missing something because I don't see why everybody was raving about this movie. The first half hour or so is funny enough, but then it takes a complete dive and becomes too over the top and not that funny. Overall, not worth a recommendation.
Well we disagree there, I think it was the best film of last year and it would be in my top 100 if I were doing one.