The RedCafe Boxing Thread

I just dread the cards in boxing. Don’t have a particular preference for either fighter, but feck me 116-112 Beterbiev stinks like shit

I would have given it a draw. Bivol looked good with the combos even if they didn't hurt Beterbiev. Rematch is needed

Glad I wasn’t going crazy, Sky commentators throwing me right off with their preference for Bivol because of a flurry or two per round.

Hard fight to call, draw would have been fair but it's how the judges view aggression compared to clean boxing.

Surprisingly, I thought Bivol tired more than anticipated down the stretch but his movement kept him competitive.

116-112 is despicable however I can see Beterbiev with a 115-113 which is still quite favorable or Bivol at that same score.

Must be the first fight in Saudi where the judges will get some critique compared to what we see on a regular basis in the US.

Last edited:
Don't get the controversy tbh. Bivol was clearly on the back foot most of the fight. 116-112 is complete rubbish but I do think the correct fighter won.

Really good fight that.

Great fight and an intriguing match up.

I thought Bivel edged it by a round or two but thought it could go either way with the judges. For it to go the other way by 4 on one judges card is insane.

Great fight, would love a rematch.

I think the only issue would be the wide card, but honestly I wouldn’t have issue with any result- fight was super close.

I had it a draw, but felt Bivol may get the win on the cards. But have no issue with Beterbiev winning, kept the pressure the whole fight and definitely hurt Bivol more.

Great fight, would love a rematch.

I think the only issue would be the wide card, but honestly I wouldn’t have issue with any result- fight was super close.

I had it a draw, but felt Bivol may get the win on the cards. But have no issue with Beterbiev winning, kept the pressure the whole fight and definitely hurt Bivol more.

Yeah he definitely was the heavier hitter and quite often forced Bivol back without necessarily landing. he was quite clever, in that he went for Bivol for the last 40-50s of practically every round, which can catch the eye of the judges.

Amazing to hear Hearn and Warren completely agree with each other - that must be a first

Both are leaches. Owned totally these days by the Saudi cash that's more important than them fighting each other anymore.
Everyone is. Every single fighter…..”thank you to his excellency”.

I’m torn between finding it absolutely nauseating……but actually being impressed with the quality of the overall cards, rather than just a bunch of unknown before the main fight

I’m torn between finding it absolutely nauseating……but actually being impressed with the quality of the overall cards, rather than just a bunch of unknown before the main fight

Ah let's be honest it's pretty grim and while the matchups have been good, it's completely devoid of atmosphere.

Why are people surprised at the shady scorecards? You had a literal warlord enter the ring after the fight.

The cards are good, but the atmosphere just ruins it for me. Somehow it feels absolutely soulless even though we've still got the fight. There'll never be a fight considered as one of the greats over there. Best thing they've done is AJ and Dubois over here, they should stick to that.

116-112 is too wide, didn’t see the first three rounds as I was at work but thought the rest of the fight was great, hope they run it back.

@pocco @Withnail

Fully agree and there was at least one fighter, can’t remember who, who praised the atmosphere and the crowd- saying how much these people loved their boxing.

It felt like a pre-ordered line

Anyway, feck it. Exciting fights coming up for Wardley and Opetaia. We’ll finally see Benn and Eubanks. Whittaker is the cnut many suspected he was. Bivol got the GGG-Canelo 1 Adelaide Bird treatment (though maybe not quite as harsh). I’ll never forget that card. But we’ll get to see them run it back, hopefully with non-bent judging.

A good night for boxing overall

Last edited:
I would have given it to Bivol comfortably so that will be an interesting match to rewatch. Beterbiev was the one coming forward but Bivol controlled the pace of it for 9 rounds or so. Definitely started to fade in later rounds, shelling up more frequently but I feel Beterbiev revving up started one or two rounds too late.

Less dramatic than Usyk-Fury but looked like really elite boxing to me all throughout.

Does back pedalling count as controlling the pace ? Hmmm. Fight of two halves. Loved it, that was a case study of a fight in boxer vs puncher.

On reflection I don’t think the result was that bad to be honest. The one card was odd and too wide, and I personally would have gone with a draw, but in a tight fight like that you have to finish strongly and Beterbiev did just that, whilst maintaining forward pressure throughout. That certainly swung it and you can’t take away from him in that regard.

On reflection I don’t think the result was that bad to be honest. The one card was odd and too wide, and I personally would have gone with a draw, but in a tight fight like that you have to finish strongly and Beterbiev did just that, whilst maintaining forward pressure throughout. That certainly swung it and you can’t take away from him in that regard.
Agree with this if there was a few extra rounds I could see beterbiev stopping him he was breaking through.

Bivol took more damage and all. He said he his own gloves caused the bruising around his eyes due to Beterbiev punching his gloves or at least partially. But yeah draw would've been a fair result. Great fight regardless.

Does back pedalling count as controlling the pace ? Hmmm. Fight of two halves. Loved it, that was a case study of a fight in boxer vs puncher.

You can control the fight on the back foot, Floyd made an art of it. Stay on the outside or just move around and be too quick and elusive, give them nothing, in and out whilst putting a few nice combinations together etc. I think the turning point was Beterbiev working the body, good advice if it came from his corner. As soon as he did that, Bivol slowed right down and allowed Beterbiev to get inside and start working.

How do people see Bivol and Beterbiev against Kovalev? It was the first time I've seen Beterbiev fight and I actually wasn't that impressed if I'm honest. I didn't see the power his record would suggest.

These 20 KOs, are they from wearing an opponent down or has he shown one punch KO power?

@pocco @Withnail

Fully agree and there was at least one fighter, can’t remember who, who praised the atmosphere and the crowd- saying how much these people loved their boxing.

It felt like a pre-ordered line

Anyway, feck it. Exciting fights coming up for Wardley and Opetaia. We’ll finally see Benn and Eubanks. Whittaker is the cnut many suspected he was. Bivol got the GGG-Canelo 1 Adelaide Bird treatment (though maybe not quite as harsh). I’ll never forget that card. But we’ll get to see them run it back, hopefully with non-bent judging.

A good night for boxing overall

You could almost guarantee they have been told to say things like this. They must think the boxing fans watching are idiots. Absolutely nobody is buying it.

Out of interest, what's the script with the Saudis who turn up to these fights? They friends/ family/ associates of the royal family? Paying public? It just feels like it's probably one big flex from the royal family, as though they're putting a bit of evening entertainment on for their friends, who have no real interest in boxing.