The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Who’s taking it then. Was surprised to see Bivol as betting favourite, even though it’s quite tight

Rooting for Beterbiev. The odds do probably make sense though - there's not that many scenarios in which you'd back the 39 year old puncher coming off an injury against the much younger, slick mover. There's some Youtube speculation that he hasn't been looking good in training too:

Hoping that Beterbiev bucks the trend and cautiously optimistic given his sheer quality and unreal strength and power. Stylistically, he's probably more familiar than most with Bivol's style from his amateur days, and as great as Bivol is defensively, he's maybe more confident with getting backed onto the ropes than he should be against Beterbiev.

Just saw on Bet365 that Artur is 7/1 to win by decision. Not the most likely outcome but I think it actually looks decent value - even if he's losing early a strong finish and a couple of 10-8 rounds seems a plausible route to winning on the cards.

Rooting for Beterbiev. The odds do probably make sense though - there's not that many scenarios in which you'd back the 39 year old puncher coming off an injury against the much younger, slick mover. There's some Youtube speculation that he hasn't been looking good in training too:

Hoping that Beterbiev bucks the trend and cautiously optimistic given his sheer quality and unreal strength and power. Stylistically, he's probably more familiar than most with Bivol's style from his amateur days, and as great as Bivol is defensively, he's maybe more confident with getting backed onto the ropes than he should be against Beterbiev.

Just saw on Bet365 that Artur is 7/1 to win by decision. Not the most likely outcome but I think it actually looks decent value - even if he's losing early a strong finish and a couple of 10-8 rounds seems a plausible route to winning on the cards.

I actually took this the other day - mainly for the value. I opened the bet account to put Bivol on pts, but if Beterbiev can score a knockdowns and win a few of the rounds, it wouldn't surprise me if he got the decision.

People are underestimating his boxing ability - which whilst isn't on the level of Bivol's - he isn't just a puncher.

I was looking at skybets enhanced 4.5 for Beterbiev to win by knockout rounds 7-12.

We all assume Bivol will be fitter, but he’s only human and as he tires later on, it’ll only take one flush shot to land with Beterbiev’s power and he could be in serious trouble

It's a hard fight to call, I would go with Bivol being more technical but more in the remit of how he manages distance control he's the best boxer (subjectively) current generation with positioning the lead foot. He's consistently staggering the back foot succinctly so he's in and out simultaneously without wasting movement, it's a nightmare unless the opponent rushes in which is why he offsets the ability for them to reset. Very similar in that regard to Usyk to a small degree it's not surprising given it's a amateur basis of fighting (both have world class records) which they have integrated well into the pro's.

So I can see Beterbiev getting lost in the sauce if he's fighting at Bivol's range but what when happens when Beterbiev eventually closes that gap, he's knocked out far bigger opponents Gvozdyk / Joe Smith to name who are units at light heavy so if Bivol's taking punishment from round to round he's likely going down.

Beterbiev's ruptured meniscus could play a factor, if he's moving around how much does that impact his comfort, heard fighters with the exact same tear like Chris Algieri say it's a muscle issue that you never truly recover from.

That's certainly one way to tell it, the other is Usyk did his best impression of Simon Cowell and his high waisted trousers, which made blows to the lower stomach automatically look like illegal blows.

_130912864_tv087204249.jpg

And of course Dubois is going to have the sails knocked out of him in terms of morale after seeing a good shot called bad, his opponent allowed to totally recover, recollect his thoughts and strategy and get back to it.

Usyk is an incredible fighter with the heart of a champion, clearly, but also not above "grabbing five" to clear his thoughts, which paints the picture of a wily strategist who will take advantage of a weak referee.

I don't know about 'discredit' - the referee is the one at fault and a smart opportunist took advantage of that - but that victory is controversial and Dubois' chance of winning was taken away from him. A better referee doesn't allow things to get to that stage because he tells Usyk to fix his shorts before he even walks out, and again inside the ring before opening round, if he's pulled them up again.
Not sure if his shorts are higher than usual, but even if they are, you can see from the punch that Dubois entire punch, not just part of it, was below shorts. So Usyk's shorts need to have been over 10cm higher for the punch to be valid. Here is the picture of the punch

olexandr-usyk-vs-daniel-dubois_1scsfuw3hj52n1vnffsxdl7od0.jpg

I honestly, do not see where the controversy arises. It was an illegal punch, in a match where Usyk dominated from beginning to the end and probably won every round of it.

Not sure if his shorts are higher than usual, but even if they are, you can see from the punch that Dubois entire punch, not just part of it, was below shorts. So Usyk's shorts need to have been over 10cm higher for the punch to be valid. Here is the picture of the punch

olexandr-usyk-vs-daniel-dubois_1scsfuw3hj52n1vnffsxdl7od0.jpg

I honestly, do not see where the controversy arises. It was an illegal punch, in a match where Usyk dominated from beginning to the end and probably won every round of it.
he was only punched in the junk because he was erect. happened to me at the park. sometimes you just need to accept it and walk away.

Yep, tough fight for him and I think he just looked for a way out. Reminded me a bit like what Khan did against Crawford
Yeah he is getting absolutely slated on twitter.

Left the ring in a wheelchair too to properly milk it :lol:

Yeah he is getting absolutely slated on twitter.

Left the ring in a wheelchair too to properly milk it :lol:

:lol: Just saw that. Let’s see what comes out from the scans they’ll carry out. Shame for Cameron, doubt he’ll get a rematch

A lot of hype around Whitaker, but he’s got zero power to keep top fighters off him

I had a free 3 quid bet so I've chucked it on a draw. 52 back if it happens.

No point trying to make a fiver on a free bet.