The Overlap | Jamie Carragher: From Everton fan to Liverpool legend | Stick to Football EP 49

Have you guys also seen that show just with Vieira and Keane a few years ago where they sit down and just talk and then pick their joint 11?

The mutual respect there was very very obvious.

Not sure what you're on about, there was nothing uneasy there from my perspective. Absolutely loved this one!
Of course there was. There was alot of hatred between them all in those days. Veira saying he hated Neville and chasing him to the tunnel to have a go at him. Then Keane saying he went too far with doing that. Veira also saying Utd had the referees in their pockets didn't go down too well. Maybe it was the way Veira was making his points. Im now saying it wasn't a good show, but it wasn't as friendly as the usual shows.

These last few ones have been hilarious, long may it continue. Will they ever talk about the FA cup final? Or are they saving that to the Community Shield episode? Would love to see Carra with all that egg on his face.

I think between Wright and now Vieira going on, we might see more Arsenal players.

Wright also said at the end that this is what the show needed (more non-Utd guests), and I’d agree with him.

I think between Wright and now Vieira going on, we might see more Arsenal players.

Wright also said at the end that this is what the show needed (more non-Utd guests), and I’d agree with him.

Yeah I think they'll go clear of United guests for a while unless a big one comes up (not sure who that would be?) - think its the major criticism they've been getting and they know it.

Fantastic episode. Can't help but admire Viera, phenomenal player.
Yeah, I saw it. It's so great to see them sit together now and not have any animosity amongst themselves as the rivalry back then was really heated. This is what you call professionalism, but it also goes to show that it's also a generational thing. These guys are Gen X. That's the generation of "We meet you outside in person, fight, get bloodied then we go out to eat afterwards like nothing happened". I really miss the Man Utd v Arsenal rivalry. It's why we all fell in love with the Premier League.

Of course there was. There was alot of hatred between them all in those days. Veira saying he hated Neville and chasing him to the tunnel to have a go at him. Then Keane saying he went too far with doing that. Veira also saying Utd had the referees in their pockets didn't go down too well. Maybe it was the way Veira was making his points. Im now saying it wasn't a good show, but it wasn't as friendly as the usual shows.

It's a generational thing.

Yeah I think they'll go clear of United guests for a while unless a big one comes up (not sure who that would be?) - think its the major criticism they've been getting and they know it.

Ferguson would be amazing tbf

One thing Neville admitted that we already knew....that Utd for a period ended up becoming extra physical to try and cope with that Arsenal team. :p
You had that 98 Arsenal team that were absolute monsters and were more than capable of bullying anyone. We owed you one :)

Yeah, probably the only PL rival team I actually liked watching, they were physical and tough, but they played some wonderful football. The way they moved the ball, the freedom of expression and passing was scintillating at times.

Personally I think the smaller Highbury pitch suited them in many respects. Once they moved to the Emirates he changed to what was pretty much a 4231 regularly and although they still played lovely football it was that extra body in the box that was missing to convert a lot of the chances they created.
The Highbury pitch made it even more impressive, as technically there is less room for error in your touch and passing on a smaller pitch, especially when playing at high speed and intensity.

It's kind of sad how Wenger turned from a legendary manager in the stature of Sir Alex to Arsenal fans booing him and shouting to the camera "It's time to gaw".

The Highbury pitch made it even more impressive, as technically there is less room for error in your touch and passing on a smaller pitch, especially when playing at high speed and intensity.

Yeah, the technical ability and physicality of that team was something else at times and that small pitch meant that there was so much less space for the opposition to open them up, we've seen it with Luton this season that the smaller pitch can be a great advantage when you are used to it. It was all one and two touch football at speed, I remember it being pointed out later on when they started to struggle a bit under Wenger that it started to become 3,4 or 5 touches and the speed and intensity was gone out of the game. Maybe he didn't have the players or maybe he decided they needed to be more pragmatic in their approach because the Emirates pitch was that much bigger, but those early years up to the mid 00’s Arsenal were just a brilliant team to watch.

Rooney shines more in the informal settings like the Overlap table where they are just chatting and cracking jokes amongst friends. He's decent but a bit dull to listen to when he has to give serious answers about football.

Great guest!

More none united guess should be invited, I'll like to Les Ferdinand or someone from Newcastle come on and tell us about the Kelvin Kegan infamous rant.

This is class that Keano actually apologised to Maguire (25:30 or thereabouts):

Keane should probably go to a therapist or something. He's just overly negative about things for no reason and it's gone beyond just a schtick.

Keane should probably go to a therapist or something. He's just overly negative about things for no reason and it's gone beyond just a schtick.

Well...except for when it comes to Ronaldo. He even tried to come to his defense for the pathetic waterworks after the penalty miss.

Did he father Ronaldo? It's strange watching a man who hates everything love something everyone hates. Or he just enjoys being a contrarian. Seems like he is playing a character.

I asked in the podcast thread but no answer.

I'm looking for a footy podcast that talks about hot topics and/or behind the curtain on players/teams.

I've looked the look of this, Rest is Football and Stick to Football.

Stick to football audio quality is shit and the duration is too long so it's between this and rest is football.

Which is better?

I'm looking for a footy podcast that talks about hot topics and/or behind the curtain on players/teams.

Stick to football audio quality is shit and the duration is too long so it's between this and rest is football.

Which is better?

I like a couple of The Athletic podcasts. The Athletic FC and Totally Football Show. No star ex-player pundits, just journalists talking about areas where they are in the know like Ornstein for transfers, specific journos for clubs they are covering.

Which is better?
I listen to The Totally Football Show.

Thanks to the above. I used to listen to the guardian but I find myself less wanting to know about the day to day news and rather just locker room stories and stuff behind the scenes.

Missed this one last week. Keane's on good form and the quiz part is great.