The Overlap | Jamie Carragher: From Everton fan to Liverpool legend | Stick to Football EP 49

Nice to see Schmeichel and Wrighty together, know they had a few huge fallings out and I think Pete said some very unchoice things to him.

I told the Keane story on here a few years back about him being thrown out the window. The one who told me the story is our current FA president and then Forest team mate of Keane who was with him that night.
Got absolutely shit on here for telling that story like I was making stuff up to try and put Keane down. There he is on the internet laughing about it.

I told the Keane story on here a few years back about him being thrown out the window. The one who told me the story is our current FA president and then Forest team mate of Keane who was with him that night.
Got absolutely shit on here for telling that story like I was making stuff up to try and put Keane down. There he is on the internet laughing about it.

images

you deserved it for breaching the confidence of a friend. i don’t go around on here telling everyone about all the hollywood a-listers i bang. that way freeman, hanks and cruise don’t need to fear stories of our illicit 4-ways making front page news.

I love this "podcast". But I'm sad that it makes me like players that I used to hate.

Great guest!

Indeed, indeed.

A lot of these old, aged adversaries seem to be reaching an age where they can talk about the past with their foe in a light-hearted manner, with that mutual respect and bygones kind of manner. It's refreshing.

This one'll get huge viewing figures.

Vieira vs Keane. Wenger vs Fergie. Significant part of my childhood memories. It did feel sometimes the rest of us were just extras in a movie about Arsenal vs United.

I remember when we beat United 3-0 at Old Trafford. All the annoying Arsenal kids at my school would come to me and literally pat me on my back as if I had personally done something :lol:

Massive amount of mutual respect between the two of them. Can tell they could easily be friends.

They’re very good friends in real life. Like sleep at each other’s houses and also have events, good friends.
It comes out through their interactions.

Starting to have a fondness for wright even though I never thought i would, seems like nice genuine fella.

They’re very good friends in real life. Like sleep at each other’s houses and also have events, good friends.
I'm envious of the life they live and the life long friends they have made. Getting paid to hang out with your friends talking about the good old days and all their glories

Roy tries to mask it a bit, but Wright does give tidbits into how he is off camera and has told a few stories. Was how I found out about the above, even.

I think a lot of these guys are mellowing now and have a different outlook to how they used to, which probably helps in terms of bonding, too.

Roy tries to mask it a bit, but Wright does give tidbits into how he is off camera and has told a few stories. Was how I found out about the above, even.

I think a lot of these guys are mellowing now and have a different outlook to how they used to, which probably helps in terms of bonding, too.
As you said they have definitely mellowed out quite a lot but there are still flashes of that competitiveness, here and there, Roy seemed properly wound up about his international record there for example which I found amusing.

As you said they have definitely mellowed out quite a lot but there are still flashes of that competitiveness, here and there, Roy seemed properly wound up about his international record there for example which I found amusing.
Haha yeah. Flared a little too when Wright said he would love to have been in the tunnel. Roy gave him that look. :lol:

I am in awe of Jamie's ability to recall past scenarios, he remembers things in great detail and it's really interesting to see him relay it.

Best show in football.

I love this "podcast". But I'm sad that it makes me like players that I used to hate.

I also think that's something to do with age though - the 90's/2000's were a lot of people (mine at least) formative football years, so you just end up holding players who were around back then - even if you hated them - in much higher regard then you do todays footballers.

We all hated Viera but we all know he's one of the absolute Premier League greats... not sure how many of us would put any of City's current team in a Premier League all-time greats conversation though?

They were all trying to laugh and joke about the tunnel incident, but you could definitely sense something uneasy about the conversation.

I watched the highlights from the Highbury 4-2 and O'Shea's reaction to scoring is hilarious. He just sort of freezes for 5 seconds in disbelief that he's scored and then starts sprinting to celebrating.

I watched the highlights from the Highbury 4-2 and O'Shea's reaction to scoring is hilarious. He just sort of freezes for 5 seconds in disbelief that he's scored and then starts sprinting to celebrating.

funny story, i accidentally dropped my controller whilst celebrating the goal, so o’shea only started celebrating once i’d picked it up from the floor and pressed “o”.

They were all trying to laugh and joke about the tunnel incident, but you could definitely sense something uneasy about the conversation.
Not sure what you're on about, there was nothing uneasy there from my perspective. Absolutely loved this one!

Man that Arsenal team played some scintillating football! Even as a rival fan, watching them wishing they'd lose, it was clear that what you were witnessing was the beautiful game perfectly realized.
Thierry Henry ... What an absolute maestro. Rival player that even when he played I couldn't help but be in awe of.

The comments section:

20 years from now ex Man City players will have a podcast...and they will have about 50 subscribers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man that Arsenal team played some scintillating football! Even as a rival fan, watching them wishing they'd lose, it was clear that what you were witnessing was the beautiful game perfectly realized.
Arsenal in the late 90s and early noughties were the perfect combination of physical strength, speed and technique. Their running behind the defence was so damn dangerous. They were slightly weak mentally though; they collapsed in 2002/3 and underachieved in Europe.

I miss those days of a truly great rivalry that had everything. The pizza gate, the tunnel episode, Van Nistelrooy vs Henry, Wenger vs Ferguson, Keane vs Viera. There were battles all over the pitch and off it as well. Don't think it will be repeated for some time atleast, the characters simply aren't there.

Can still hate the players. I really enjoy Carraghers antics, like the scenes in Dortmund, but as a player there is no one more deserving of being hit by a very local tornado.

Good episode but wished they spoke about his Juventus time especially as they were stripped of titles like City should be

Good episode but wished they spoke about his Juventus time especially as they were stripped of titles like City should be
If he really has aspirations to coach in Italy, i don't think he would get anywhere near the topic.

Thierry Henry ... What an absolute maestro. Rival player that even when he played I couldn't help but be in awe of.
Henry, Vieira, Cole, Campbell, there was no lack of complete footballers throughout that team. Wenger simply had an eye for maestros and knew how to bring the best out of them. Even in his later years, he would pull out a Nasri and you would be amazed by their quality.

Arsenal in the late 90s and early noughties were the perfect combination of physical strength, speed and technique. Their running behind the defence was so damn dangerous. They were slightly weak mentally though; they collapsed in 2002/3 and underachieved in Europe.

I miss those days of a truly great rivalry that had everything. The pizza gate, the tunnel episode, Van Nistelrooy vs Henry, Wenger vs Ferguson, Keane vs Viera. There were battles all over the pitch and off it as well. Don't think it will be repeated for some time atleast, the characters simply aren't there.
They had horrible luck in Europe, many times between 02 - 06 I felt they got knocked out while being the better team. For me I would say the mental cracks in Wenger's teams came up in his later years, but for his early 00s team it just felt like a strange combination of events against them because they had leaders througout that team.

Two things that we already knew but Viera confirmed:

- Wenger, as good as he was, didn't have the ruthlessness that Sir Alex had. Hence, the reason Arsenal couldn't win back to back titles despite having some awesome teams. Even the invincibles couldn't repeat the title win in the following season.
- During the later years Wenger gave up on getting the more physical players and went with more finesse. Reason for Arsenal's soft underbelly during that time.

Overall a very good interview. It is good to see that camaraderie between all these guys and how they have moved on after their playing careers ended. It's the fans who keep holding on to nonsense and take things more seriously than they are really.

Yeah, probably the only PL rival team I actually liked watching, they were physical and tough, but they played some wonderful football. The way they moved the ball, the freedom of expression and passing was scintillating at times.

Personally I think the smaller Highbury pitch suited them in many respects. Once they moved to the Emirates he changed to what was pretty much a 4231 regularly and although they still played lovely football it was that extra body in the box that was missing to convert a lot of the chances they created.

Two things that we already knew but Viera confirmed:

- Wenger, as good as he was, didn't have the ruthlessness that Sir Alex had. Hence, the reason Arsenal couldn't win back to back titles despite having some awesome teams. Even the invincibles couldn't repeat the title win in the following season.
- During the later years Wenger gave up on getting the more physical players and went with more finesse. Reason for Arsenal's soft underbelly during that time.

Overall a very good interview. It is good to see that camaraderie between all these guys and how they have moved on after their playing careers ended. It's the fans who keep holding on to nonsense and take things more seriously than they are really.

One thing Neville admitted that we already knew....that Utd for a period ended up becoming extra physical to try and cope with that Arsenal team. :p

Last edited: