The Overlap | Jamie Carragher: From Everton fan to Liverpool legend | Stick to Football EP 49

It feels like small talk, banter and talking over each other with the occasional moments of actual discussion about football.

It grinds my gears. Maybe I'm a miserable bastard.

Half way through, Rafa really raging about money united could spend, and properly exaggerating it too.

This episode is really boring.

Yeah I tried listening on my way in this morning and he wouldn't answer any questions. Just starts trailing off on some weird tangent.

Also feels like he's heard Carragher's comments about being a rubbish man manager and was desperate to come in and show how affable he can be.

Xabi Alonso another for the "Wenger nearly signed" thread on here.

I remember the rumour but didn't realise he actually had an agreement with Arsenal. Xabi Alonso and Fabregas together and Arsenal might have won one more league title in Wenger's time.

That was the summer Liverpool spent months trying to sign Gareth Barry from us and were putting in joke bids.

Yeah I tried listening on my way in this morning and he wouldn't answer any questions. Just starts trailing off on some weird tangent.

Also feels like he's heard Carragher's comments about being a rubbish man manager and was desperate to come in and show how affable he can be.

If it's full of him whining then I'm not watching this one.

It's not really whining, it's more that he just goes off on boring long tangents. Doesn't stick to the fachts at hand.

I don't think Benitez came across particularly well here. The constant complaining about money felt almost petty after a while. I can't imagine someone like Wenger referring to this every two minutes.

I've put it on - had to put subtitles on. Not his fault but can't follow it otherwise.

And Carragher.

The story of Rooney desperately trying to make weight the night before pre-season weigh-ins. :lol:
And on the other hand as a comparison next to him you have Gary Neville who did his own training routine before pre season in order to stay at a certain level. Its sad to hear Rooney admit what we all said for years. And whats sadder is he was aware of it himself.

Hearing that Rooney stuff was frustrating. Knew at the time he was holding himself back from being better than he was, and he was absolutely fantastic. Could have been other worldly.

Yeah my thoughts as well. He was still incredible but could have been even better. You see the likes of Ronaldo/Giggs/Zlatan continuing to play at a top level much longer than Rooney in comparison because they took care of themselves better.

I didn't find it as boring as some. Found it quite interesting actually. But, it felt like an interrogation from Jamie at times. He seems more interested in his own opinion and thoughts than that of the interviewee. It almost came across like he was a bit bitter with Rafa. The same Rafa that took his career to places his talent didn't warrant. Jamie should be more grateful.

Too many grievances. Has really bought into the whole Liverpool victim mentality.

"United had second striker worth 50m, whereas we had Torres bought for 20m"

Who was the United bench striker bought for 50m during his time?

Also, that was our "no value in the market era" and we didn't spend a whole lot during those years. I bet Arsenal and ours net spent during that time wasn't much higher than Liverpool's. In fact, Arsenal's would be much lower given the Emirates costs and them needing to sell before buying.

I didn't find it as boring as some. Found it quite interesting actually. But, it felt like an interrogation from Jamie at times. He seems more interested in his own opinion and thoughts than that of the interviewee. It almost came across like he was a bit bitter with Rafa. The same Rafa that took his career to places his talent didn't warrant. Jamie should be more grateful.

Yup, I could only take 30 odd minutes and it was Carra interviewing Benitez while all the others would have not said more than 10 words combined. Couldn't take it. Also, Jill looked weird with all the Tan.

Too many grievances. Has really bought into the whole Liverpool victim mentality.

"United had second striker worth 50m, whereas we had Torres bought for 20m"

Who was the United bench striker bought for 50m during his time?

Also, that was our "no value in the market era" and we didn't spend a whole lot during those years. I bet Arsenal and ours net spent during that time wasn't much higher than Liverpool's. In fact, Arsenal's would be much lower given the Emirates costs and them needing to sell before buying.

I think he said 15m, but it's still not true. You bought Berba the next season but he wasn't a bench striker.

I think he said 15m, but it's still not true. You bought Berba the next season but he wasn't a bench striker.
My bad. I heard it as 50. Still, it was too many excuses about his lack of spending power as compared to the others.

Berba was 30m, iirc. And you are right, he wasn't a bench striker.

My bad. I heard it as 50. Still, it was too many excuses about his lack of spending power as compared to the others.

Berba was 30m, iirc. And you are right, he wasn't a bench striker.

Agreed. In that summer you didn't have much difference in net spend.

United -60m Euros.
Liverpool -44m Euros.

Between Carragher constantly interrupting and Rafa's list of excuses, I thought for the most part it was a tough listen. They pretty much ignored his La Liga wins and Uefa cup with Valencia and also his spell at Newcastle.

Just a chat about why Liverpool won feck all.

Between Carragher constantly interrupting and Rafa's list of excuses, I thought for the most part it was a tough listen. They pretty much ignored his La Liga wins and Uefa cup with Valencia and also his spell at Newcastle.

Just a chat about why Liverpool won feck all.

Yeah, bit of a disappointing episode.

The bit about Xabi Alonso almost felt like long tirade about how Alonso was being dishonest and fecking Liverpool over. It almost felt personal. I was like Alonso might need to release a statement of his own to refute some of this stuff :lol:

Watched a bit more, Keane looks bored to tears and I think he's pretty close to telling Benitez to stop touching him.

Carragher always skirts a fine line between being mildly irritating and fully unbearable and he has crossed deep in this one.

Him trying desperately to sell his facts rant as some genius ploy to stop the referees being corrupt is hilarious in so many ways. Firstly he doesn't realise that the very premise of that is still based on him believing a conspiracy theory that was part of why he was mocked. Also the fact he then accused Neville of saying he cracked up and shaped half his tangent on it.

Clearly is or was a very good coach but I've heard quite a few of his former players say he has an odd personality and you can see shades of it.

Rafa seemed awfully defensive about literally everything.

Even when Carragher just wanted to ask a question about his time at Inter and Real Madrid, he immediately interrupted with 'Inter won the treble with 15 players over 30 years old'.

I thought it was decent, Rafa provided some laughs, but didn't really touch on some of the interesting stuff. Would have loved to know more about what happened at Inter properly, Real, the dressing rooms there etc. Liverpool we know to death

Rafa seemed awfully defensive about literally everything.

Even when Carragher just wanted to ask a question about his time at Inter and Real Madrid, he immediately interrupted with 'Inter won the treble with 15 players over 30 years old'.
Yeah, it was a rubbish episode.

I thought it was decent, Rafa provided some laughs, but didn't really touch on some of the interesting stuff. Would have loved to know more about what happened at Inter properly, Real, the dressing rooms there etc. Liverpool we know to death

At some point he starts going into Madrid a little bit and Carragher literally shouts something along the lines of "We don't want to hear about that! We want to hear about halftime in Istanbul."

Probably because it gives Carragher a chance to talk more and get more attention.

Genuinely have no interesting in hearing from Benitez, so I'll give it a miss.

fecking bizarre reaction to this over on Reddit. Liverpool fans running around calling Benitez the greatest and proclaiming that the only thing that held him back was not being backed in the market.

Never mind the fact that he outspent United in both net and gross terms in his time at Liverpool, and that he chucked away his best chance of winning the League by being the exact sort of unhinged weirdo he comes across as here.

Only blot on his copy blot is fluking that CL win, other than that he was the perfect Liverpool manager: not good enough, but not quite bad enough to get sacked either.

so obvious Rafa is still cracking up to a degree. Complaining about 12.30 fixtures from 2009 in 2024.

Not the most interesting but really skirts over his treatment of Alonso....

no mention of his 20m signing Robbie Keane who he didnt treat or manage well in my position or buying Alonso and boasting about getting a great deal due to him being injured?!?

really big fan of Stick to Football - generally like the episodes without guests more - but when they do bring on guests, provided that they are football related, it’s usually a good watch.

This is the first football related Overlap that I disliked. The other guests from rival clubs were great, and made me like them more (eg Vieira) this one made me hate Benitez more

really big fan of Stick to Football - generally like the episodes without guests more - but when they do bring on guests, provided that they are football related, it’s usually a good watch.

This is the first football related Overlap that I disliked. The other guests from rival clubs were great, and made me like them more (eg Vieira) this one made me hate Benitez more

I feel exactly the same, 100%. He's a deeply insecure unlikeable man.

I only had it on in the background when I was playing a video game and I still regret giving it even that much attention.

He can't just accept that he had a meltdown and never got the better of Ferguson. Had his fat arse handed to him year in year out

Rambling episode that shows for all the criticism Neville gets as a co-comm he is a top chair/presenter. Mourinho was manager Rafa hates?

Never liked Benitez, always thought he came across as a big fat whinging knobhead and it sounds like the podcast adds more evidence to that conclusion.

Other rival managers you eventually develop respect for but never with him.