The Netherlands (Holland) Euro 2024 Squad & Discussion

Could realistically get to the final. I know they lost against Austria before and this is far from one of the best Dutch sides, but the attack and midfield looks like it's clicking a lot more, and the defence is very powerful and quick.

First I've seen of Holland at this tournament. I only caught the first half but I thought their movement was very good.

I definitely would love to see them (or Austria) in the final instead of England.

Gary Lineker is up there with Michael McIntyre as being a proper shit comedian. cnut thinks he's hilarious.

Thought the talk about how shit this team is was excessive. I remember watching them in a game or two leading up to the nations League final I think it was and it was a lot more consistent with the speed they showed today. Hopefully they can keep that energy going against a higher caliber of opponent in the tourney bc it can be a fun team to track it they do.

Still- a well drilled unit like the Swiss or Austrians can probably put them on the backfoot a bit again, especially if they are as wasteful as they were today.

Holland have created a lot of good chances to score but their finishing touch is currently lacking. I think they have been decent overall this tournament but I feel they are a bit light in midfield and slow in central defense which can make them pretty vulnerable. Their attack has been way better than I was expecting though. I could see them make the final among a handful of teams right now.

Holland have created a lot of good chances to score but their finishing touch is currently lacking. I think they have been decent overall this tournament but I feel they are a bit light in midfield and slow in central defense which can make them pretty vulnerable. Their attack has been way better than I was expecting though. I could see them make the final among a handful of teams right now.
There's anyway only about 2 handfuls (1.5?) left in the QFs, so that's a pretty safe prediction.

But yes, not great but not that bad either, could do well but wouldn't be surprised by a disappointment either. That's basically how most people saw them before the tournament and it's still true. I mean, it's like getting to the QFs by finishing third in their group and beating Romania in this round is something for the Netherlands to be particularly proud of.

VVD with Ake and Dumrfires covering from full back is pretty quick. It does lack a bit of star quality in the midfield though I agree, although Xavi Simons had a very good game.

I feel they'd need to score first against the likes of England or Spain/Germany and then sit back and soak up the pressure (similar to how they played against France). I have a feeling they will get to the semi final and maybe the final.

Yeah still not sure where the insistance to play him centrally came from. He's not a striker at all. He's Arjen Robben lite.

Don’t understand it either. Maybe because he’s not fast enough but it’s a player who’s at his best facing the goal with a bit of space.

Will be a cracking match next up as Turkey won't sit back.

Way to beat them though is expose their defence as Portugal did so think the Netherlands will get chances on the break.

Will be a cracking match next up as Turkey won't sit back.

Way to beat them though is expose their defence as Portugal did so think the Netherlands will get chances on the break.
Will they even have a team at this rate with the suspensions and the fact that that took an immense amount of effort?

Will they even have a team at this rate with the suspensions and the fact that that took an immense amount of effort?

They only had two booked today so the others they lost in that mad Czech book-a-thon will return.

Kokcu will be a miss though given he played for Feyenoord. Yokuslu will start I'd imagine.

They only had two booked today so the others they lost in that mad Czech book-a-thon will return.

Kokcu will be a miss though given he played for Feyenoord. Yokuslu will start I'd imagine.
Thought it was more than two and some of their defenders weren't moving too well by the end of the game but that's to be expected. Anyway, it should be a great game.

Not really worried about Turkey honestly. Simons, Malen and Gakpo will cut them to pieces.

There's anyway only about 2 handfuls (1.5?) left in the QFs, so that's a pretty safe prediction.

But yes, not great but not that bad either, could do well but wouldn't be surprised by a disappointment either. That's basically how most people saw them before the tournament and it's still true. I mean, it's like getting to the QFs by finishing third in their group and beating Romania in this round is something for the Netherlands to be particularly proud of.
I think people are underrating them a little bit now though. Many thought the Romania game was a toss up before it started which seemed unlikely to me. I do expect them to beat Turkey pretty handily as well. After that I see the semi-final as more of a toss up regardless of who gets there. If Holland make the final and lose to Spain then I think they can say it’s been a successful tournament. Still far away from that however.

Hope we beat Turkey but I expect that it will be a very tough game for us. Could easily lose it. It's a toss up historically as well.

Holland were immense last night, I thought. Didn't give Romania a sniff and looked very sharp on the break. Simons has an annoying face but what a player. Reijnders exceptional.

Bit of a testament to how badly our 1998-2000 generation failed to capitalize on that amazing team that this bunch of feckwits have now achieved the same.

Though they didn't face pub teams in the round of 16 and quarters.

VVD with Ake and Dumrfires covering from full back is pretty quick. It does lack a bit of star quality in the midfield though I agree, although Xavi Simons had a very good game.

I feel they'd need to score first against the likes of England or Spain/Germany and then sit back and soak up the pressure (similar to how they played against France). I have a feeling they will get to the semi final and maybe the final.

VVD looked like he’d lost half a yard last night, the challenge when he got booked he was comfortably ahead of the Turkish lad and ended up having to foul him.

Still a beastly defence though, I really like De Vrij. Some Vidic vibes

Need to be starting Van de Ven and Frimpong on Wednesday.

They'll miss De Jong for sure as he'd have been an obvious matchwinner facing England at this stage of a tournament.

Need to be starting Van de Ven and Frimpong on Wednesday.

They'll miss De Jong for sure as he'd have been an obvious matchwinner facing England at this stage of a tournament.
Benching Aké wont happen though. He's been very solid. Vd Ven is a great sub with his insane pace.

I agree with Frimpong.

Benching Aké wont happen though. He's been very solid. Vd Ven is a great sub with his insane pace.

I agree with Frimpong.

Personally I'd move Ake into midfield but no idea if that's really happened at all.

Something like

Dumfries-VDV-Van- De Vrji- Van De Ven

Ake

Schouten Reijnders

Frimpong Depay Gakpo

Feels unlikely but Frimpong + Dumfries did start together v France so wouldn't shock me just to try to expose Trippier or really test out Shaw if he's gambled on to start.

A right side of Frimpong and Dumfries would be terrifying against a terrible Trippier and/or an unfit Shaw.

Personally I'd move Ake into midfield but no idea if that's really happened at all.

Something like

Ake

Schouten Reijnders

Frimpong Depay Gakpo

Feels unlikely but Frimpong + Dumfries did start together v France so wouldn't shock me just to try to expose Trippier or really test out Shaw if he's gambled on to start.
Does Ake ever play there? I don't watch City, so not sure about that, but if he does it seems sensible enough as Simons was cack again yesterday.

Something like

Ake

Schouten Reijnders

Frimpong Depay Gakpo

I suppose for the defense you're trying to write Dumfries - Van Dijk - De Vrij - Van de Ven?

It's this funny thing about having so many quality CBs and poverty elsewhere. At that point, you might as well start playing those surplus CBs in DM and whatnot!

The Zirkzee thread makes me want Zirkzee to start.

Memphis will ofcourse start. Oh well, 103993rd time's the charm?

Cant be the all time top scorer of the natl team if you don't get a bazillion minutes to score said goals :angel:
God I hope he doesn't overtake Van Persie.

Huntelaar wouldve outscored em all though. He has 42 from 76 caps of which 33 as a sub.