The Netherlands (Holland) Euro 2024 Squad & Discussion

God I hope he doesn't overtake Van Persie.

Huntelaar wouldve outscored em all though. He has 42 from 76 caps of which 33 as a sub.
Huntelaar was insane and unlucky that Van Persie was there, he probably would've had twice as much goals.

Bit of a testament to how badly our 1998-2000 generation failed to capitalize on that amazing team that this bunch of feckwits have now achieved the same.

Though they didn't face pub teams in the round of 16 and quarters.
They are facing a pub team in the semi final though. England players look like they've all drank a few pints before getting on the pitch.

We should be nowhere near a final with this squad, but feck we came close.

England deserved the win though, just a bit more quality.

But, and I swear this is the last time, THIS BENT FECKING REF.

Joke of a ref aside.....but again, why the feck does Frimpong not play? By far the brightest star the few minutes he did make at the tourney. Whoever replaces Koeman should drop a lot of the veterans and start playing guys like him and Zirkzee starting now or they ll be in even worse shape for the WC.

We should be nowhere near a final with this squad, but feck we came close.

England deserved the win though, just a bit more quality.

But, and I swear this is the last time, THIS BENT FECKING REF.
Unlucky! Clearly not the most talented Dutch side, but I thought there was a visible togetherness that had been missing in recent years.

Thought it was a good contest today and couldn’t have complained had it gone to extra time.

Always brutal to lose right at the death, but great to see the Dutch back at the deep end of a major tournament. Now don’t mess up, get to the World Cup please.

He got it right first half switching to 4-3-3 as Foden was finding so much space centrally and actually looking a decent threat.

Second half though will be talked about by Dutch fans for ages. Sat on his hands and got mugged at the end.

Southgate rightly gets stick for not giving inform players chances but to have Frimpong as unused sub in this game is a crime against coaching and game management.

Had the options to put an extra CB on and match England with 3-4-3 aswell.

He got it right first half switching to 4-3-3 as Foden was finding so much space centrally and actually looking a decent threat.

Second half though will be talked about by Dutch fans for ages. Sat on his hands and got mugged at the end.

Southgate rightly gets stick for not giving inform players chances but to have Frimpong as unused sub in this game is a crime against coaching and game management.

Yeah, especially with the poor game Dumfries had.

Mugged is a bit much, but Southate really is an awful coach. He completely let us back into the game.

I don’t know why he didn’t get Frimpong and Zirkzee on about the 70 minute mark.

Schouten and Verbrugge were the main positives.. Ake is great as well..

The occasion got the better of them in the first half and while they freshened things up after the break, creating decent chances along the way, never once did I feel England were going to lose that game be it in normal time, extra time or penalties.

Do you not think, if he opened it up they'd have got taken about earlier. I agree Frimpong could have come on, but this was probably the best way of them getting a result against England. We all saw in that first half, that given any space England were clearly the better side.

Koeman should be sacked just simply for not playing Frimpong.....how the feck do you leave him on the bench and not get on the pitch?????

I imagine Koeman keeps his job cause the Semi Finals is pretty good considering their squad on paper.

Terrible manager though.

Do you not think, if he opened it up they'd have got taken about earlier. I agree Frimpong could have come on, but this was probably the best way of them getting a result against England. We all saw in that first half, that given any space England were clearly the better side.

They could've kept 4-3-3 though and put Frimpong on at right wing and taken Xavi Simons off.

The way to hurt England is to have pace on both sides, it's genuinely baffled me how they simply didn't do that at any stage in the second half as game was there to be won in last 20 minutes once England inevitably dropped off tempo.

Gakpo had a good tournament but he was basically their main outlet all night on the counter so only really had 5-6 serious touches all game near the penalty area.

I get the feeling that was probably a plan for Extra time but Koeman dithered and got a punch in the guts.

Got his tactics wrong. That’s all there is to it’s at least now we’ll sign Zirkzee and De Ligt by beginning of next week

Oh and dear Koeman, please please PLEASE bin Memphis. He's been cack all tournament. Just let Robin keep his all time topscorer spot.

Ake was decent, but also struggled with Saka first half and offered nothing going forward. Next tournament, there should be an actual left back playing there.

Van Dijk doesn't take his responsibility as Captain if you compare him with de Vrij. Would prefer Ake/VdV to compete for LCB next tournament, and one of de Ligt/de Vrij/Van Dijk/Geertruida to play RCB. Potentially Maatsen as left back and Dumfries at right back. Verbruggen to play goalkeeper.

Schouten, Frenkie, Xavi should be the midfield for the coming years (unless Wieffer/Koopmeiners keep it up).

Gakpo and Frimpong on the wings for me, striker position one of Memphis/Brobbey/Zirkzee hopefully.

Bit of a testament to how badly our 1998-2000 generation failed to capitalize on that amazing team that this bunch of feckwits have now achieved the same.

Though they didn't face pub teams in the round of 16 and quarters.
That Euro 2000 Italy loss was absolutely criminal but yeah you’ve done well to get this far with this trash squad (bar defenders and right backs) . Was certain turkey would knock you out.
Genuinely did not fear any Dutch attacker today (although Simons is a talent) but yeah Malen, Weghorst, Depay, Bergwijn. it’s brutal… used to have Van persie van nistelrooy kuyt robben huntelaar etc

Some fairly tragic areas in that Dutch XI.

I think the workmanlike de Jongless midfield would work a lot better if there were genuine threats up front like the Dutch attackers of yesteryear. The likes of Weggy, Depay, Gakpo weren't really cutting it.

I think what really didn't work is how do you play with that XI? You cannot really control possession like the old Dutch way without FDJ. You can't really sit back and counter and rely on some good individual defenders with Weghorst and co, there's no real dynamism to break through. So I dunno what you do except pick a different squad or XI because that lineup didn't work for me, not sure what Holland were supposed to do out there.