The Netherlands (Holland) Euro 2024 Squad & Discussion

Could play England now in last 16...

They really struggled today against Austria's endless pressing and fast counters but England so far have looked miles off that standard so I think that will be a tight knockout match if it happens.

One of the worst performances from us in an international tournament I've seen in my lifetime.

Let's please not ever pretend we don't need Frenkie :lol:

One of the worst performances from us in an international tournament I've seen in my lifetime.

Don't be so hard on your National Team. The opponent was just a level above.

I always suspected that you were an Ajax fan.

Don't be so hard on your National Team. The opponent was just a level above.
No they fecking werent. They play Ajax rejects Wober and Grillitsch in their starting line up. Koeman is just a shite coach whereas Rangnick is not.

And Austria scoring 3 from 1.08 xg doesnt help either of course.

We will all look back and laugh at this when Wout slots in the winning goal in extra time in the final.

I couldnt believe people claiming that missing Frenkie could be a blessing in disguise because PSV duo Veerman and Schouten could play together. Result : Veerman subbed off after 30 minutes, tripping over the ball and losing the ball more often than getting it to a teammate. Schouten not great at second and third goal for Austria.

We really needed Frenkie :( Im afraid we only have one more match before our tournament is over again.

Austria is the better team (not individually). Their players are not world class, but they play together and Rangnick is a good tactician. They are the dark horses in this tournament.

No they fecking werent. They play Ajax rejects Wober and Grillitsch in their starting line up. Koeman is just a shite coach whereas Rangnick is not.

And Austria scoring 3 from 1.08 xg doesnt help either of course.
How dare you? Leave Grillitsch and Wöber alone! They'll probably be European Champions in a couple of weeks! And 3 goals from 1.08 xg only shows the efficiency, which is also a sign of quality. We've got a saying here: "A good horse only jumps as high as it has to".

(Actually, I have no idea how they played. I couldn't even see the game, as I am somewhere in Sweden and my internet is a bit shit.)

How dare you? Leave Grillitsch and Wöber alone! They'll probably be European Champions in a couple of weeks! And 3 goals from 1.08 xg only shows the efficiency, which is also a sign of quality. We've got a saying here: "A good horse only jumps as high as it has to".

(Actually, I have no idea how they played. I couldn't even see the game, as I am somewhere in Sweden and my internet is a bit shit.)
Hehehe, nah you deserved the win, tactically superiour.

Holland midfield is poor. Attackers hit and miss. Malen genuinely awful and he hasn't done much at Dortmund so just overhyped from scoring endless goals in the Dutch league

That said today neither Dumfries or Frimpong played and Van De Ven was in at LB so there was a degree of experimentation having already qualified.

Way to hurt England if that match happens is to play both Dumfries and Frimpong as you did v France as Trippier would really struggle v those two.

Personally I'd move Ake into central midfield aswell alongside Rejinders given the excess of CBs.

Veerman has been a big dissappointment, Wieffer didnt make the squad... Seems like a poor call.

Frimpong another big dissappointment

Considering the Dutch usually manage to find a a way to feck things up in tourneys when they are playing at an extremely high level, they ll win the tourney this time around by doing the opposite.

Brilliant guy that Koeman.

They fecked up so bad, but knowing 3rd place will probably be "easier" than 2nd makes me less upset. The divide in quality in both sides of the bracket is bonkers. France ends up 1st in the group and has to face the scariest team in the tournament.

They fecked up so bad, but knowing 3rd place will probably be "easier" than 2nd makes me less upset. The divide in quality in both sides of the bracket is bonkers. France ends up 1st in the group and has to face the scariest team in the tournament.

France came 2nd in the group.

3rd place isn't easier. You're likely playing England. Austria won the group and they will likely end up playing Turkey. France will probably be playing Romania or Slovakia.

3rd place isn't easier. You're likely playing England. Austria won the group and they will likely end up playing Turkey. France will probably be playing Romania or Slovakia.

But doesn't France have to go through Spain/Portugal/Germany eventually? That's worse than playing England or Italy/Swiss.

Holland midfield is poor. Attackers hit and miss. Malen genuinely awful and he hasn't done much at Dortmund so just overhyped from scoring endless goals in the Dutch league

That said today neither Dumfries or Frimpong played and Van De Ven was in at LB so there was a degree of experimentation having already qualified.

Way to hurt England if that match happens is to play both Dumfries and Frimpong as you did v France as Trippier would really struggle v those two.

Personally I'd move Ake into central midfield aswell alongside Rejinders given the excess of CBs.

Beating England is so easy, just play very defensive then have a pacy front 3 to break. No way England is scoring against a back 4 of Dumfries De Vrij Van Dijk and Ake if they sit back. Good chance they score a goal on the counter if they play Frimpong Simons etc up front.

Then if it ends 0-0, you win on penalties anyway.

Memphis with his head band is so ridiculous. Apparently he warms up with a ton of jewellry too?

being a person of dutch descent....i'm completely frustrated by Koeman and his decisions so far

first simple one is how you expect to win a euro with Memphis leading the line and his head band????

second....how do you leave a guy like Frimpong on the bench after the season he had at Bayer???

being a person of dutch descent....i'm completely frustrated by Koeman and his decisions so far

first simple one is how you expect to win a euro with Memphis leading the line and his head band????

second....how do you leave a guy like Frimpong on the bench after the season he had at Bayer???
Unfortunately the Memphis thing is something I expect from a lot of managers - play the known quantity and I know he hides behind "well he is a top scorer for the Dutch historically so why would I not trust him?". Problem is - he came off another injury and in addition I always think his goal scoring record for the national team is inflated by the fact he didn't have the insane competition up front like his predecessors did. I e. The likes of Kluivert, Bergkamp, RvN, RvP still had competition for their spots by the likes of Makaay, Hasselbaink, Huntelaar, Van Hooijdonk, etc.

The Frimpong thing though I absolutely dont understand. In combination with Malen they could have torn the Austrian flank a new one. To not even sub him on is just weird.

We definitely got the rub of the green with this draw. This whole side of the bracket is pretty pants honestly… a lot of teams could make the finals through this.

Netherlands gonna do a 2016 Portugal and win the Euros after been 3rd in the group stage :lol:

So does this mean another final for us to lose? Meh, I could easily see Romania being the last match.

Bookies now have us 3rd to win the tournament. They're more stubborn than Cowman.

I think it would be a real statement of the quality of international football if this Dutch team managed to win it.
Well for what we've done for football we would really deserve a freebee as a token of appreciation. Would really like it to be a WC instead but beggars can't be choosers.

can't see Oranje winning this euro unless Koeman is prepared to make a few changes to his structure and team selection

The problem is that the midfield is just not strong enough defensively. You can have the best defenders in the world, but they will also look weak if the midfield keeps getting overrun.

De Jong, Q. Timer, De Roon, Koopmeiners. All injured players we could have used as CM/CDM to add strength on the midfield. Reijnders is an amazing player, but he's just too light currently. Schouten play's well above his expected level, but also just comes to short defensively. Best example is when Austria scores their 2-1 goal against the Netherlands. Schouten isn't able to stop the cross from Grillitsch, that's one. And secondly for cross itself the midfield is nowhere to be found. Gakpo of all people is closest to Austria's right midfielder. And Apperantly Gakpo and the other Winger recieved instructions to just let their men go and let the defenders sort it out. But that doesn't work if midfielders aren't picking them up.

I do hope the Netherlands sort themself out. Because I believe we really do actually have a strong selection of players. It's just unfortunate that all injuries are our big CM's/CDM's.

Koeman said almost the exact thing Southgate said: I think changing too much now would endanger continuity. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room at the same time?

Koeman said almost the exact thing Southgate said: I think changing too much now would endanger continuity. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room at the same time?

Got a feeling Maatsen or Zirkee off the bench wins you a game in the knock outs. One of those from the beach to the pitch stories as neither were in the original squad.

Got a feeling Maatsen or Zirkee off the bench wins you a game in the knock outs. One of those from the beach to the pitch stories as neither were in the original squad.
They're not coming of the bench. Van de Ven and even Blind will come in before Maatsen and the striker sub is Weghorst, and only Weghorst.

They're not coming of the bench. Van de Ven and even Blind will come in before Maatsen and the striker sub is Weghorst, and only Weghorst.

Koeman. :lol: Some of these internationals coaches are far too loyal to their favoured groups.

To me if you were playing England yesterday and were 1-0 up with twenty left and England throwing on endless attacking options then Maatsen and Zirkee with pace to burn would be very logical subs, could be what is needed in a potential SF.

Koeman. :lol: Some of these internationals coaches are far too loyal to their favoured groups.

To me if you were playing England yesterday and were 1-0 up with twenty left and England throwing on endless attacking options then Maatsen and Zirkee with pace to burn would be very logical subs, could be what is needed in a potential SF.
I think most of the good coaches just don't want to do international football as it's a part time job.

We're definitely not the fantastic Dutch team of old, but imagine what Rangnick could do with this squad, or any other competent manager.

Same goes doubly for England ofcourse.