The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he did these two things no-one here would complain. They really have nothing to do with buying a new CB or not. When we attacked for 20 minutes of the 2nd half it's not like we had different centre backs. It was the same players that played the shite 1st half. It's the managers job to sort this out. If he did I would happily change my vote.
Same for me really. Games like Newcastle and Chelsea don't change anything for me yet

I’m not gonna go on a negative tip after two decent half performances. I wanna enjoy the fleeting goodness of football, after all. But at the same time, nothing’s really changed. Nothing about our play has improved, aside from a smidge of confidence, and certainly not in any tactical or cohesive way. At our best we’re still at the same sporadically threatening, but frustratingly negative level we were for the latter half of last season, and the fact that the players doing the most to wrench us out of our early season crisis are the very ones our manager was apparently intent on selling, doesn’t instil an awful lot of confidence in the regime.

Still, I can’t be bothered to argue it either way just now. It was a decent result in normal circumstances (but does us no real favours in reality) but part of me worries it just leaves us jogging in place for another couple months..

Draw away at Chelsea is a decent result but I see nothing that convinces me that Mourinho is the right man to turn us into one of the best footballing side around. When we're not absolutely terrible, we're getting by purely on individual quality and moments of intermittent good play. There's nothing I can see to suggest that were truly headed in the right direction.

I do not see Mou turning us into a title-winning team, nor do I trust him to get the best out of the players he got or bought on a consistent basis. The likely scenario is that Jose sees out this season and that is it.

I do not see Mou turning us into a title-winning team, nor do I trust him to get the best out of the players he got or bought on a consistent basis. The likely scenario is that Jose sees out this season and that is it.
I think that's what will happen as well.

In 6 of Sir Alex's PL seasons after 9 games the club were on 17 points or below. The reason I pick these seasons is that 17 would only be 1 point more than this season if the game today finished 1 minute earlier.

Imagine if we sacked SAF in 2004 for being on 14 points and 11 behind the leaders Arsenal?

It makes me feel sick though to see where we were/are after 9 games in 4 of the last 6 seasons :wenger:

18/19 14 9th 9 behind Man City in 1st

17/18 20 2nd 5 behind Man City in 1st

16/17 14 7th 6 behind Man City in 1st

15/16 19 3rd 2 behind Man City in 1st

14/15 13 8th 10 behind Chelsea in 1st

13/14 14 8th 8 behind Arsenal in 1st

12/13 21 2nd 1 behind Chelsea in 1st

11/12 20 2nd 5 behind Man City in 1st

10/11 17 3rd 5 behind Chelsea in 1st

09/10 22 1st 1 ahead of Chelsea in 2nd

08/09 18 6th 8 behind Liverpool in 1stbut United had a game in hand

07/08 20 2nd 2 behind Arsenal in 1stwho had a game in hand

06/07 22 1st joint with Chelsea 2 ahead of Bolton in 3rd

05/06 18 5th 10 behind Chelsea in 1st

04/05 14 6th 11 behind Arsenal in 1st

03/04 22 2nd 1 behind Arsenal in 1st

02/03 17 4th 6 behind Arsenal in 1st

01/02 17 3rd 2 behind Leeds in 1st

00/01 18 1st joint with Arsenal 2 ahead of Newcastle in 3rd

99/00 21 1st 2 ahead of Leeds in 2nd

98/99 18 2nd 4 behind Aston Villa but United had a game in hand

97/98 18 2nd 1 behind Arsenal in 1st

96/97 19 4th 2 behind Newcastle in 1st

95/96 20 2nd 4 behind Newcastle in 1st

94/95 16 5th 7 behind Newcastle in 1st

93/94 22 1st 3 above Arsenal in 2nd

92/92 17 4th 5 behind Norwich in 1st

1) the mental gymnastics you’re performing here does not really add up

2) even if we assume your stats, the issue here is not just points but the style in which we’re playing and our trend from last season.

Not seen much to change my mind yesterday, still think he hasnt shown enough as a manager. Indeed, if anything the game just proves again that we have good attacking players in the squad and that’s it’s about how they’re being coached and the tactics we use in games that’s the problem.

The sad thing is that with Chelsea and Arsenal having improved since last season, and with Spurs, Liverpool and City staying at a similar level, we very much look like we’re heading for 6th, on current trajectory. I think Arsenal’s bubble could easily pop, but the other 4 look set for solid seasons. Which means we face having that Moyes scenario again, where it’s obvious with months to go we’re not going to get top four but we have to see the car crash play out in slow motion.

Agreed

Bring back Fergie. I miss proper football. Heaven and earth between the two of them.

Yeah we played some 'proper' football from 1986-1990 :wenger:

What about the proper 'slow zombie football' everyone was ridiculously complaining about (for the record not me) on here in Fergie's last few years?

Thats funny he won the treble at Inter with a system like that. Do you know history or what?
Claudio Ranieri won the league with Leicester. Rafa Benitez won the league with Valencia.

Where are they now?

Constantly pointing to a season with Inter way back in 2009 is silly. Football has moved on.

It’s a bit like you’re running out of excuses now so you wheel out the Inter treble.

The bottom line is Jose has spent an absolute fortune. We’re nowhere near winning the league with him. The football is turd. He fights with everyone. We have zero consistency in performances or results. He’s been here nearly 2.5 seasons.

But yeah, let’s just stick with the managers for the sake of it, because it’s The United Way (tm).

Meanwhile we’ll have to endure Liverpool, City, Spurs, Chelsea and even Arsenal fans enjoying their teams play attacking football because their teams have modern, attack minded managers.

Exactly. Ironic that 2nd was ridiculed as a joke and didn't matter now the same melts are all about league position with 9 games played...

Not really, football hasn't been good except for a half of football here and there. Defending against Newcastle was atrocious, the first half vs Chelsea was quite dull.

Let them play attacking football Jose from the start, as oppose to only when we are losing....

We can't play open attacking football with our laughable defence. But it would still be way more entertaining than us playing defensive, which we also can't do because of our laughable defence.

Chelsea 15/16 after 9 games: 11 pts, GD 14-17
United 18/19 after 9 games: 14 pts, GD 15-16

Jose is doing better now, we could be optimistic that we won't be in the bottom half any time soon. Or not.

He's going to stay for the rest of the seaaon and top 4 will be the thing determining his fate like LVG. Can't see him getting sacked while he can get good reaction from the players like last 2 games.

Those who want him gone then should pray we end in Europ League next season I assume.

Only now United are playing with alittle more determination but the faults are still evidently apparent.
We still look unbalanced,still playing at a walking pace,defensively all over the place and offensively relying on individual moments over cohesive play.
We're a mess.Jose has to go.
But the club missed its window of opportunity after the Newcastle result and now they,again,will be sitting on their hands waiting for a another capitulation,which will come but likely too late where this season is concerned.

It’s just crossed my mind...

Jose was pushing hard for a straight swap Willian (30) -> Martial (22) this summer.

Let that sink in. Sackable offence right there on yesterday’s showing.

It’s just crossed my mind...

Jose was pushing hard for a straight swap Willian -> Martial this summer.

Let that sink in. Sackable offence right there on yesterday’s showing.

A lie that is being said loads of times is still a lie. Won't change to a fact because it's repeated a lot.

What lie?

The Willian - Martial swap is absolute myth that I have never seen any reliable source talking about it except Caf, but just because it suits narrative it became an absolute fact that kept getting repeated here from time to time.

Not really, football hasn't been good except for a half of football here and there. Defending against Newcastle was atrocious, the first half vs Chelsea was quite dull.
That is one of the big problems with this team. The defending is terrible. So Jose is too tempted to go even more defensive. Why not solve it by just buying good defenders. They say they should be coached. Jose has always had good defences, maybe some of this lot are beyond redemption. He needs to get Dalot in there or if he is going to be a backup, get a proper RB, then top class CB's or at least one who can give orders out at the back to make sure there is some defensive shape there.

The Willian - Martial swap is absolute myth that I have never seen any reliable source talking about it except Caf, but just because it suits narrative it became an absolute fact that kept getting repeated here from time to time.
We are getting too gullible where rumours are concerned. Probably because things are going wrong at our club. If everything was rosy then most of these rumours would not emerge.

He's going to stay for the rest of the seaaon and top 4 will be the thing determining his fate like LVG. Can't see him getting sacked while he can get good reaction from the players like last 2 games.

Those who want him gone then should pray we end in Europ League next season I assume.

The players tried hard. But the results involved luck. Newcastle deserved to get a pen when it was 2:0 and the first goal yesterday involved luck too (there might have been a foul on Alonso and the ball came to Martial after a deflection while Chelsea missed chances to make it 2:0 and then 2:1).

Defence is poor now. 16 conceded goals is a joke. When a Mourinho team crumbles defensively, the signs are bad. I'd be surprised if he survived Christmas.

The players tried hard. But the results involved luck. Newcastle deserved to get a pen when it was 2:0 and the first goal yesterday involved luck too (there might have been a foul on Alonso and the ball came to Martial after a deflection while Chelsea missed chances to make it 2:0 and then 2:1).

Defence is poor now. 16 conceded goals is a joke. When a Mourinho team crumblesdefensively, the signs are bad. I'd be surprised if he survives Christmas.

Hope the luck logic is applicable in games where points are lost?

What narrative? Who wanted Martial to leave. I think you should take some time and think why did it ever get discussed?

Next your going to tell us that Martial wasn’t someone Jose wanted to sell? Who was Jose expected to replace him with?

Status
Not open for further replies.