The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet our title challenge is over. Weren't you one of the guys spouting it's only pre-season when anyone criticised us in the summer?

So you want the manager gone in October with no viable candidate available? Sound logic. We were a few seconds away from a very rare win at Stamford Bridge against a very in form Chelsea and Hazard with signs of cohesiin and improvement but no you want us to start again.

Exactly - and that’s the way we should be going.

Not sticking with a negative manager who picks fights with every man and his dog just for the sake of ‘not being a sacking club.’

We need a dof and an attacking minded manager who wants to control matches, not give up the ball to the opposition regardless of whether it’s West Ham or Man City.
That's why you need a really good DOF as they will be the one who stays, it is the managers who are dispensable now.

Of course nobody will want to admit they were wrong so expect everyone to keep insisting they still want Mou gone.

United brought him to build a team and won’t sack him until he’s finished. After all they know if only they had brought him the defenders he had wanted.

I'd love nothing more than to be proved wrong on Jose.

Exactly - and that’s the way we should be going.

Not sticking with a negative manager who picks fights with every man and his dog just for the sake of ‘not being a sacking club.’

We need a dof and an attacking minded manager who wants to control matches, not give up the ball to the opposition regardless of whether it’s West Ham or Man City.

Good luck with that!

Lukaku could use a spell on the sidelines for sure. Martial (3 goals in 2 games), Rashford or even Sanchez could fill in with equal effect.

Yeah I think it would be good for him,. I know Lukaku will pick up form again, say what you will about him but he's a goal scorer and his career stats prove that.

Of course nobody will want to admit they were wrong so expect everyone to keep insisting they still want Mou gone.

United brought him to build a team and won’t sack him until he’s finished. After all they know if only they had brought him the defenders he had wanted.

I've been for Mourinho leaving but if the football we saw today becomes an accuring theme, I'll be more than happy if he stays. Last 2 games were very entertaining and some credit to Mourinho is due. Like him or not.

I just hope:
1) he finds the solution to motivate the team from the kick off and not wait when they're a goal or goals down
2) he keeps attacking when taking the lead

He can change 1) I think from now on until the end of his tenure but I have zero hope for 2)

Derby under Lampard have been playing some excellent football. How do we not even get that for a week with the amount of talent we have at disposal?

We've learnt absolutely nothing new in the last two games.
We are capable of being a very good side when we are forced to play. Something that we've known for years. But this guy simply cannot get these players playing well from the start of games and doing it consistently.

My main concern now is I simply cannot see this team going on the sort of run that would take us back into top four contention. We need to start putting a run of wins together.

How many times have we done that under this manager?

Derby under Lampard have been playing some excellent football. How do we not even get that for a week with the amount of talent we have at disposal?
Apprently it’s Woodward’s fault that we play with a deep defensive line and don’t control games.

I've been for Mourinho leaving but if the football we saw today becomes an accuring theme, I'll be more than happy if he stays. Last 2 games were very entertaining and some credit to Mourinho is due. Like him or not.

It wont though because that’s not how his teams play, the first half was Mourinho’s way of playing, just as lining up cautiously against an awful Newcastle side was his preference.

The 30-40 mins of decent football in last two games are not a reflection of Mourinho. I don’t want or expect him to play attacking football because it’s not what he does and it’s unlikely he would’ve successful doing it.

Yeah I think it would be good for him,. I know Lukaku will pick up form again, say what you will about him but he's a goal scorer and his career stats prove that.

I don't doubt it for a second.

He's just low on confidence, the way he 'attacked' that headed chance in the first half would suggest as much. A spell on the sidelines would do the lad some good.

Yeah Valencia are crap, so are Seville... as evidenced by the Spanish table.

Ah yeah La Liga, the league no one wants to win this season it seems. Valencia and Sevilla were both bang average against us, and most top teams would of torn them apart, as would we of, if we set out attacking.

So not sure where you are going with this, unless you're trying to look silly.

I just hope:
1) he finds the solution to motivate the team from the kick off and not wait when they're a goal or goals down
2) he keeps attacking when taking the lead

He can change 1) I think from now on until the end of his tenure but I have zero hope for 2)
This, unfortunately.

Ah yeah La Liga, the league no one wants to win this season it seems. Valencia and Sevilla were both bang average against us, and most top teams would of torn them apart, as would we of, if we set out attacking.

He mentions a Valencia side who are in 12th with 1 win in 9 games to validate his point. A league now topped by Alaves. :lol:

I think we've seen some green shoots from the McKenna/Carrick partnership this season. I do think they, as the ones working with the players day in/out, will have a good influence. Cant put my finger on it but we do look different to Faria era United. We're worse at set pieces for one, but better at moving the ball up the pitch quickly without hoofing.

I still say give Jose until the end of the season, close this thread and try to enjoy what at least seems to be sporadic decent football. Just think, it could be worse, he could be David Moyes.

He needs to go at the end of the season.
We are 9th in the table,have a goal difference of minus 1 and we are absolutely terrible to watch.

This season is the first season in my twenty plus years of supporting us where I have missed games because i couldnt even be bothered to watch us because of how boring we are.

This result changes nothing for me mentioned in match day thread Chelsea are being overhyped they haven't been particularly impressive so I was expecting a result for us anyway though gutted it was just a point , Mourinho still need to go.

Had we lost at home to one of the poorest Newcastle sides in recent memory (of which there was every possibility given the 0-2 half-time deficit) Jose would have been in serious trouble. But for the miraculous comeback that occurred in the second half, he very likely would have been sacked.

:lol::lol::lol:

LVG survived the December of death and you think a loss to Newcastle would have done it? That's flat out delusional and our boardroom are not idiotic enough to change their decision based on one game.

Mourinho only gets sacked if we are threatened with relegation or miss out on top 4.

We've learnt absolutely nothing new in the last two games.
We are capable of being a very good side when we are forced to play. Something that we've known for years. But this guy simply cannot get these players playing well from the start of games and doing it consistently.

My main concern now is I simply cannot see this team going on the sort of run that would take us back into top four contention. We need to start putting a run of wins together.

How many times have we done that under this manager?

Incorrect. You may not have learnt anything, which reflects more on you than it does anyone else, but others have seen that reports of an all out mutiny and a toxic atmosphere, it's quite the opposite.

We can clearly see a manager and players who are actually willing to fight to turn it around. As you would expect, it hasn't happened overnight and tuerest been some issues, namely the first half of both our last two games, but how we have reacted says a lot. Last time we came back to beat City, we went and lost to West Bromwich, the cries a fortnight ago were that we would do the same after beating Newcastle. It was not.

So as stated, you may not have learnt anythong, but I and no doubt others have. Were not quite finished yet.

They were average looking against us. Which doesn't mean they are average. Let's not pretend that nobody wants to win La Liga, that would be silly.

We didn't play well against Sevilla, but I think it's arrogant to assume we'd tear either of these teams apart when they're doing as well as they are in a competitive league. I'd love to find out I'm wrong.

Tbf I looked at the table again and it make me a bit worried, 7 points away from 4th, but there's still 29 games to play though. How much consistency do we have to pull out a good run and get near the top teams is yet to be seen.

LVG survived the December of death and you think a loss to Newcastle would have done it? That's flat out delusional and our boardroom are not idiotic enough to change their decision based on one game.

Mourinho only gets sacked if we are threatened with relegation or miss out on top 4.

I can't see that not happening. I think Mourinho won't last the season.

That said, today was a pretty good day for Mourinho defenders imo. We didn't win but Chelsea are top of the table and unbeaten and were playing at home. We fought back from a goal down so 2-2 isn't a bad result.

Don’t see the need personally to revaluate every week. But it’s better than the despair from two weeks back. If we have to continue with him, there’s a bit of progress and I am happy with how the team and he is fighting for him and the fans and the club.
that was said in the burnley and watford games as well..

When we are down and we have to attack, our attacking players play well and score, then we are up again and go back to defending with passive subs. It is clear that the squad is talented but the manager is hindering us. W e are -9 from city and pool and - 7 from chelsea spurs and possibly arsenal. We can all agree we are in a top 4 battle and most probably wont make it as -7 in October is already a lot, so why the hell are peopl still pro Jose? It is his 3rd season and we are already out of the league and in big danger od top 4. Its mind blogging really, are your expectations that low nowadays?

It wouldn't s
Works for Bayern, Chelsea, Barca,Real etc.,

Club Etc are pretty damn good though.

The other 3, well, exception rather than the rule. Chelsea have spent 2 or 3billion since 2003, Real and Barcelona dominate a league in which they could give the job to FM players on a game by game basis and still be successful.

Chelsea have had 13 managers, not including caretakers for a single game or two. Only 3 have win the title. Thats probably similar to our own rate of league winning managers, only ours is over 140 years, not 14...

When we are down and we have to attack, our attacking players play well and score, then we are up again and go back to defending with passive subs. It is clear that the squad is talented but the manager is hindering us. W e are -9 from city and pool and - 7 from chelsea spurs and possibly arsenal. We can all agree we are in a top 4 battle and most probably wont make it as -7 in October is already a lot, so why the hell are peopl still pro Jose? It is his 3rd season and we are already out of the league and in big danger od top 4. Its mind blogging really, are your expectations that low nowadays?
No, those people don’t support United, all they care is to be proven right and they will hold on to it to the very end, all bout internet point scoring. Shame.

Incorrect. You may not have learnt anything, which reflects more on you than it does anyone else, but others have seen that reports of an all out mutiny and a toxic atmosphere, it's quite the opposite.

We can clearly see a manager and players who are actually willing to fight to turn it around. As you would expect, it hasn't happened overnight and tuerest been some issues, namely the first half of both our last two games, but how we have reacted says a lot. Last time we came back to beat City, we went and lost to West Bromwich, the cries a fortnight ago were that we would do the same after beating Newcastle. It was not.

So as stated, you may not have learnt anythong, but I and no doubt others have. Were not quite finished yet.
Thats if you believe the reports that the players had downed tools were true in the first place.
Fighting alone will get us nowhere if Mourinho doesn't do what he's failed to do here so far. And that's getting us to win games consistently.

When did I say the decision to sack Mourinho would have been made on the back of a loss to Newcastle? Stop creating bullshit to suit your twisted narrative.

A loss at home to Newcastle would not have seen Jose sacked when viewed as a singular event, obviously not, but it could very well have been the deciding factor in a culmination of negative events surrounding our manager and his leadership of the club, stretching as far back as the Sevilla debacle last year. I'm not going to list all of those negatives as I have already done so in this thread.

There was every chance Jose would have been sacked following a loss at home to relegation candidates Newcastle. It's impossible to say with any degree of certainty given the unpredictable nature of football club owners in general, but to rule it out entirely would be naive.

In 6 of Sir Alex's PL seasons after 9 games the club were on 17 points or below. The reason I pick these seasons is that 17 would only be 1 point more than this season if the game today finished 1 minute earlier.

Imagine if we sacked SAF in 2004 for being on 14 points and 11 behind the leaders Arsenal?

It makes me feel sick though to see where we were/are after 9 games in 4 of the last 6 seasons :wenger:

18/19 14 9th 9 behind Man City in 1st

17/18 20 2nd 5 behind Man City in 1st

16/17 14 7th 6 behind Man City in 1st

15/16 19 3rd 2 behind Man City in 1st

14/15 13 8th 10 behind Chelsea in 1st

13/14 14 8th 8 behind Arsenal in 1st

12/13 21 2nd 1 behind Chelsea in 1st

11/12 20 2nd 5 behind Man City in 1st

10/11 17 3rd 5 behind Chelsea in 1st

09/10 22 1st 1 ahead of Chelsea in 2nd

08/09 18 6th 8 behind Liverpool in 1stbut United had a game in hand

07/08 20 2nd 2 behind Arsenal in 1stwho had a game in hand

06/07 22 1st joint with Chelsea 2 ahead of Bolton in 3rd

05/06 18 5th 10 behind Chelsea in 1st

04/05 14 6th 11 behind Arsenal in 1st

03/04 22 2nd 1 behind Arsenal in 1st

02/03 17 4th 6 behind Arsenal in 1st

01/02 17 3rd 2 behind Leeds in 1st

00/01 18 1st joint with Arsenal 2 ahead of Newcastle in 3rd

99/00 21 1st 2 ahead of Leeds in 2nd

98/99 18 2nd 4 behind Aston Villa but United had a game in hand

97/98 18 2nd 1 behind Arsenal in 1st

96/97 19 4th 2 behind Newcastle in 1st

95/96 20 2nd 4 behind Newcastle in 1st

94/95 16 5th 7 behind Newcastle in 1st

93/94 22 1st 3 above Arsenal in 2nd

92/92 17 4th 5 behind Norwich in 1st

I really love this man. Feck knows why he's struggling here. I wish he'd turn it around.

Feck the manager! Why should everything be about him. We win, we lose we draw and it's always about him. Pressers are all about him. If we are not sick of it then the players must be. Not a Man utd manager and never will be. Time to say goodbye!

Status
Not open for further replies.