The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Players attacking after they have nothing to lose for the 2nd game in a row. The manager is still holding us back. Why can't we put 90 minutes together consistently like we did the 2nd halves of Chelsea and Newcastle?

It's obvious this team is meant to be an attacking team

Nothing changes for me. Being good for 30 mins in 1 out of every 3 or 4 games is not good enough for Manchester United.

Still has to go. Would have said the same had we won the game as well.

We set up in the right way, we didn't create much first half because of poor final balls and general movement. 1-0 down due to a poor individual error from Pogba.

Second half we were very good.

We lack a leader of a centre half to push the team up with the ball quicker and to help command a lead, which we lacked at 2-1. Mourinho knew this months ago and in the summer. Woodward had other ideas.

For me, I half expected us to get something out of the game today, Jose likes big ones. The true test will come against a mid table team, probably at home. Will we set out looking to destroy a team like we probably could if we're allowed to, or will it be the usual middling defensive shite? I know what my money is on, and thats the issue.

This is my stance to. I don't want to see 2 defensive midfielders against bottom half sides or a poor Valencia side at home.

We set up in the right way, we didn't create much first half because of poor final balls and general movement. 1-0 down due to a poor individual error from Pogba.

We lack a leader of a centre half to push the team up with the ball quicker and to help command a lead, which we lacked at 2-1. Mourinho knew this months ago and in the summer. Woodward had other ideas.
It’s not Woodward’s fault, that’s the go-to excuse for anyone sticking up for Jose these days.

He knew we needed defenders when he joined United. He spent a fortune on Bailly and Lindelof and we’re still rubbish in defence.

It’s not Woodward’s fault, that’s the go-to excuse for anyone sticking up for Jose these days.

He knew we needed defenders when he joined United. He spent a fortune on Bailly and Lindelof and we’re still rubbish in defence.

Hardly.

Sure that may explain today’s lack of composure at the end.

Is that the same reason we are shit against the likes of derby and Brighton? They have better cb’s than us?

Yes, Woodward should have bought him cbs, but the next excuse would be RW. I can understand if we are struggling against teams better than us. But throughout the last three years we have basically just ambled through games even against relegation fodder and championship sides.

So I am sorry, I don’t buy the excuse that if we had better cb’s, it would have improved our performances/results in anyway.

They weren't a fortune, it seems a fortune, but for a fortune we would have got better.

Liverpool and city have spent more than the combined cost of them 2 on single defenders in the last few years.
Sick of hearing that we’ve invested enough in the defence. It’s nonsense.

A draw with Chelsea shouldn't mean the sack, but I'm getting seriously tired of the performances and tactics. For me it's time up and get someone in who's more attack minded as we have the players to still make a success of the season.

As for the players' attitude, that hasn't helped and far from impressed with a lot of them but I think M has burned too many bridges to get them all back on his side.

A draw with Chelsea shouldn't mean the sack, but I'm getting seriously tired of the performances and tactics. For me it's time up and get someone in who's more attack minded as we have the players to still make a success of the season.

As for the players' attitude, that hasn't helped and far from impressed with a lot of them but I think M has burned too many bridges to get them all back on his side.

I think he's got them onside for the most part, you don't see performances like today in the second half when managers have "lost the dressing room", I'm guessing they just don't like the negative tactics as it doesn't play to our strengths. He constantly sets us up in a way thats destined to fail.

There was nothing to blame Jose for today, other than perhaps his under-utilization of Fred. Plus I believe he was about to sub Martial off for Sanchez prior to the brace, while Lukaku would have stayed on.

But barring this, it was a fine second half performance, and if Mourinho resolves his differences with our best players (Pogba and Martial), he can stay till the end of the season. Beyond that, I dunno -- I consider Martial more valuable than Jose and I am not sure Martial wants to continue working under him despite current situation.

But 3 years for a Man United manager is long enough.

iirc Rio cost more in 2002 than either of them
Yes and I think it was a record. Those two were not a record. To get the top CB's you now have to spend big. We got what we paid for. Either that or you strike it lucky and uncover a gem from the lower league, which is also risky.

I think M has burned too many bridges to get them all back on his side.

Players lack the character and a winning mentality of champions. Basic mistakes will still be happening under new management.

Aggressiveness, importance of winning headers, letting your man run past you, second on first and second balls.

There is a need for serious injection of a strong cb and a proper defensive mid in this team. Other managers use their brain and keep the ball to avoid these problems and also play proactive and press better.

We have a problem on both the fronts.

You can't say the last couple of games haven't been exciting but decide what you want? Going a goal down and romping back to get a result or seeing a game out 1-0. The amount of people who have been crying out for us to be more exciting have gone very quiet today when they realised that being exciting doesn't always get you a win.

Liverpool and city have spent more than the combined cost of them 2 on single defenders in the last few years.
Sick of hearing that we’ve invested enough in the defence. It’s nonsense.

Not saying we spent enough but Lindelof and even more so Bailly were signed before the market went crazy.

You can't say the last couple of games haven't been exciting but decide what you want? Going a goal down and romping back to get a result or seeing a game out 1-0. The amount of people who have been crying out for us to be more exciting have gone very quiet today when they realised that being exciting doesn't always get you a win.

Being more exciting and attacking has got us 4 points from the last two games, the way the manager sent the teams out to play using his preferred style and tactics would probably have seen us get zero points.

This isn’t a great squad but if they were allowed to attack and coached to play positively instead of worrying about the opposition and allowing even teams like Derby to play like they are Barcelona we wouldn’t be 9th. Mourinho is holding this group of players back, he isn’t the only problem of course but the team could be dramatically improved with coaching and different tactics.

Being more exciting and attacking has got us 4 points from the last two games, the way the manager sent the teams out to play using his preferred style and tactics would probably have seen us get zero points.

This isn’t a great squad but if they were allowed to attack and coached to play positively instead of worrying about the opposition and allowing even teams like Derby to play like they are Barcelona we wouldn’t be 9th. Mourinho is holding this group of players back, he isn’t the only problem of course but the team could be dramatically improved with coaching and different tactics.
Spot on. These last 2 games prove that even more than before

Nothing changes for me. Being good for 30 mins in 1 out of every 3 or 4 games is not good enough for Manchester United.

Still has to go. Would have said the same had we won the game as well.
That's what I'm trying to say. Being good for short spells isn't enough. When will this team put together an accomplished 90 minutes performance? You can't dominate every game I will agree with this and there are two teams in every game but we go from not being able to string 5 passes together to suddenly looking dangerous and creating chances. There's no consistency after almost 3 years. What kind of team are we? If we're only going to play football and start being aggressive when we're losing we will never amount to anything. Wasted 45 minutes today. The 1st half was not acceptable. We forgot to be there.

Exactly. I really want Jose to succeed but it won’t happen, he doesn’t suit United and United doesn’t suit him.

Off the field too many dramas. It’s every other day, it’s tiresome. Little digs at players, other managers etc. Just coach the players and get on with your job ffs.

Then on the field we’re negative more often than not. When we go behind, which is nearly every game these days, it’s like the players say “feck it” and just go for it.

We need a new face, someone who isn’t controversial and someone who is known as an attacking minded head coach.

We need to wipe the slate clean. Martial wants out. The football is often pretty dire. We’re not progressing under Jose whatsoever because where are we, 9th? Probably will be 11th by Monday. How is that progress? Nearly 2 and half seasons into his job and where is this progress?

Can the people who think we should stick with Mourinho (@Ban @Ramshock ?) put up a good debate as to why you think we’re going to succeed with Jose? I’m not looking for a debate, I am very interested in what you’re seeing that maybe some of us are missing? I don’t want to argue because I respect that others have differing opinions.

I couldn't be arsed. Enjoy changing managers every two years whilst the club has no direction.

Mourinho is clearly past his best, but this is also the weakest group of players he's managed since leaving Portugal 14 years ago.

Not exactly a recipe for success.

I hope these last 2 games aren't a false dawn, the players at least look like they want to win at certain times in the game.

Mourinho needs to stop shooting himself in the foot, drop players who aren't performing quicker (e.g. Sanchez) and treasure the ones that are.

I couldn't be arsed. Enjoy changing managers every two years whilst the club has no direction.
Can’t take your opinion seriously if that’s your reasoning? What about the clubs that do change managers every few years but keep winning trophies?

The Fergie years have clouded our fans judgement - managers simply don’t stay longer than 2 or 3 seasons anymore. Sticking with the manager just because we stick with Fergie for decades is madness.

Can’t take your opinion seriously if that’s your reasoning? What about the clubs that do change managers every few years but keep winning trophies?

The Fergie years have clouded our fans judgement - managers simply don’t stay longer than 2 or 3 seasons anymore. Sticking with the manager just because we stick with Fergie for decades is madness.

Who do you think we should replace him with, given that most managers we might want will be unavailable until the summer?

I hope these last 2 games aren't a false dawn, the players at least look like they want to win at certain times in the game.

Mourinho needs to stop shooting himself in the foot, drop players who aren't performing quicker (e.g. Sanchez) and treasure the ones that are.

Lukaku could use a spell on the sidelines for sure. Martial (3 goals in 2 games), Rashford or even Sanchez could fill in with equal effect.

Not sure there is any point as I think the whole setup of the club regarding player recruitment is flawed anyway.

Yes I would agree. Just weary of it all now to be honest. I don't see any prospect of a decent United side in the near future.

We have the wrong manager, the wrong players and the wrong people making decisions about how to replace them all.

These clubs have infrastructures in place especially when it comes to player recruitment. Seriously? Cmon man for feck sake

Not sure what you mean - we managed to get into the lead today against a very good side by finally getting on the front foot (after a dire first half playing our usual reactive, cautious football). Unfortunately we saw fit to take off our best two players while wasting 5 minutes (later added back on by the ref with interest) and conceded the initiative again.

These clubs have infrastructures in place especially when it comes to player recruitment. Seriously? Cmon man for feck sake
Exactly - and that’s the way we should be going.

Not sticking with a negative manager who picks fights with every man and his dog just for the sake of ‘not being a sacking club.’

We need a dof and an attacking minded manager who wants to control matches, not give up the ball to the opposition regardless of whether it’s West Ham or Man City.

Of course nobody will want to admit they were wrong so expect everyone to keep insisting they still want Mou gone.

United brought him to build a team and won’t sack him until he’s finished. After all they know if only they had brought him the defenders he had wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.