The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t see the need personally to revaluate every week. But it’s better than the despair from two weeks back. If we have to continue with him, there’s a bit of progress and I am happy with how the team and he is fighting for him and the fans and the club.

It doesn't have to come at Stamford Bridge but it may have to come in the other harder fixtures. Our start to the season makes these games points dropped not points gained. We could be 7 points out of the top 4 by Monday despite today's spirited performance. Those points we dropped to smaller sides are the freebie draws/losses that would nornally make games like today a good result

Yeah we really fecked up in a couple of games early in the season. But we look a lot more stable now.

I look at Liverpool who themselves needed a sturridge wonder goal to grab a point, or have city miss a penalty to grab a point.. And I just think the luck will balance out over the course of the season.

I'm not worried about Arsenal because their defending is dogshite and just not sustainable. Spurs certainly don't look convincing either.

Back to us though, I think the manager is beginning to say more of the right things to the press and some players are playing their way to form. We arent at the level we could be but look a completely different outfit to that West Ham horror show.

Super tough fixtures up until the City game but I think we have an easy Xmas with back to back games at OT. If we build on today and the Newcastle then we might have a much better season than expected.

Yeah I think a title challenge is gone but I don't actually rate Chelsea and Liverpool as highly as their points tally suggests. They both have some flaws which will be exploited over the course of the season.

Still Chelsea have 50% more points than us 9 games into the season. They both have flaws, but so do we. We are not making the points gap on them. Our best hope of a top 4 finish is a Spurs meltdown and Emery concentrating on Europa as they progress.

Bought Sanchez and sacrificed Martial for him. Remember that scoffing comment after the draw or loss to whatever small fry a few weeks ago: "The fans have called for him for for a long time now so I put him in" . Yes you nugget and see now who is saving your job (or delaying the inevitable)? Everyone (but 80% of the caf) and his dog saw what you delayed for one fecking year genius.

It doesn't reflect well on him that we click into gear when behind. Basic things like running and harrying players, pushing up the field - when we start doing that we look decent but it's not a habit for some reason which you have to pin on the manager. Is he by design holding these players back? We shouldn't be down to start playing with spirit and urgency.

There's a very slim chance of using finishing 4th but the performance in last 2 games can only make you positive. If we win the next 2 matches and pulled a result away to City, a draw or something, I think we'll be more closer at least.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs are going to drop off at some point for sure.

Still Chelsea have 50% more points than us 9 games into the season. They both have flaws, but so do we. We are not making the points gap on them. Our best hope of a top 4 finish is a Spurs meltdown and Emery concentrating on Europa as they progress.

It's October and we are 7 points off. Silly to write anything off regarding us and Chelsea on points.

It doesn't reflect well on him that we click into gear when behind. Basic things like running and harrying players, pushing up the field - when we start doing that we look decent but it's not a habit for some reason which you have to pin on the manager. Is he by design holding these players back? We shouldn't be down to start playing with spirit and urgency.

Yes, our approach to games is a disgrace. If Alonso had taken his wide open chance we wouldn't have looked in good shape at all.

The subs weren't defensive. He put an attacker and an attacking midfielder with fresh legs.

Not defensive but it's the intend it sets when you make those subs, taking off your only goal scorer and your second best attacking player sends the wrong message. That's my problem with the subs, it leads us to drop back deeper and deeper.

There's always drama with him. Showing the three fingers to the fans. Don't want that shit in this club.

Not defensive but it's the intend it sets when you make those subs, taking off your only goal scorer and your second best attacking player sends the wrong message. That's my problem with the subs, it leads us to drop back deeper and deeper.

Rashford isn't our second best attacking player. He was rubbish.

Also what intent here from replacing an attacker with another that has fresh legs ?

Yeah we really fecked up in a couple of games early in the season. But we look a lot more stable now.

I look at Liverpool who themselves needed a sturridge wonder goal to grab a point, or have city miss a penalty to grab a point.. And I just think the luck will balance out over the course of the season.

I'm not worried about Arsenal because their defending is dogshite and just not sustainable. Spurs certainly don't look convincing either.

Back to us though, I think the manager is beginning to say more of the right things to the press and some players are playing their way to form. We arent at the level we could be but look a completely different outfit to that West Ham horror show.

Super tough fixtures up until the City game but I think we have an easy Xmas with back to back games at OT. If we build on today and the Newcastle then we might have a much better season than expected.
Luck balancing out could still have us out of the top 4 because it's not like we'll go unbeaten for the rest of the season. We would also be dropping points here and there because we're human. We either need an outstanding run of results or for one or more of the other top 6 teams to have a mini-disaster stretch. We've had so many of these top 4 chases since SAF left and we always learn making up these huge gaps is way harder than we initially calculate

So many of you are happy that we conceded the equaliser.

I can't talk for others but I would prefer to be proved wrong for my absence of faith than right. So Mourinho turning things around is definitely what I want.

If we still had control of the game for all you know the ball wouldn’t even have been in that area. We’re both arguing hypotheticals. I’m not saying we weren’t unlucky, I just don’t understand why Mourinho deserves “time and love” as you put it for a game that was dragged back by a player he’s been trying to get rid of, after his tactics weren’t producing anything for us.

Chelsea's second goal was due to a lofted cross which rebounded back to a chelsea player ended up scoring. You could have total control of the game and still could happen. If Mourinho is trying to get Martial out , then why does he start them in these big games? I don't buy your theory of Jose pushing Martial out. So if we lose a goal it's due to his tactics, but if we score one it's not? Martial scored in the system that Jose setup so his tactics is working.

It's October and we are 7 points off. Silly to write anything off regarding us and Chelsea on points.

It's not silly as you think. Chelsea still haven't lost a game this season. Have won six and drawn three so far. Where as we have already lost three and drawn two. Our goal difference is also -1 compared to their +7. We'll have to go on a pretty good run and they'll have to have a mini meltdown of sorts for us to catch them over the length of the season. We both will drop points, sure; however, they will not drop enough for us to make up the gap.

Rashford isn't our second best attacking player. He was rubbish.

Also what intent here from replacing an attacker with another that has fresh legs ?

Not Rashford, Mata. Mata carried the ball forward, found space in between the lines and kept the ball well most of the time. Are you saying Marital, who just scored 2 good goals, hasn't got the legs to finish the game? He didn't play for France.

For me, I half expected us to get something out of the game today, Jose likes big ones. The true test will come against a mid table team, probably at home. Will we set out looking to destroy a team like we probably could if we're allowed to, or will it be the usual middling defensive shite? I know what my money is on, and thats the issue.

It's not silly as you think. Chelsea still haven't lost a game this season. Have won six and drawn three so far. Where as we have already lost three and drawn two. Our goal difference is also -1 compared to their +7. We'll have to go on a pretty good run and they'll have to have a mini meltdown of sorts for us to catch them over the length of the season. We both will drop points, sure; however, they will not drop enough for us to make up the gap.

Yeah but it's October and they ain't playing close to a City level. Take today and the West Ham game for example, that's games they should have lost in all fairness and didn't.

They are a very good outfit and have the head start on us. But they depend too much on one player to do the business and play Thursday nights this season. A 7 pt gap is salvageable over the course of the season given where we are on the time line.

Not Rashford, Mata. Mata carried the ball forward, found space in between the lines and kept the ball well most of the time. Are you saying Marital, who just scored 2 good goals, hasn't got the legs to finish the game? He didn't play for France.

Mata was replaced by a midfielder to support the midfielder. Hardly illogical here. Matic was rubbish and they were getting past him with ease and you can't trust Pogba to keep tracking backing. We needed someone to support midfielder.

Martial was dead tired when he was supposed. Again I don't understand your problem with this sub. He wasn't subbed by McTominay. He was subbed with another forward with fresh legs that was supposed to keep giving Chelsea troubles.

Are you predicting the lineup to play the full 90 minutes without changes to cope with what is happening in the game ?

Yeah but it's October and they ain't playing close to a City level. Take today and the West Ham game for example, that's games they should have lost in all fairness and didn't.

They are a very good outfit and have the head start on us. But they depend too much on one player to do the business and play Thursday nights this season. A 7 pt gap is salvageable over the course of the season given where we are on the time line.

They don't need to reach City's level. It won't take City level to finish above us the way the season has been going. I know the second half performance in the last two games have been good, but we still have only won 44% of our games this season in the league. 4 of those 9 games were against the bottom half of the table.

Bet ya Chelsea will have increased the gap half-way into the season.

They don't need to reach City's level. It won't take City level to finish above us the way the season has been going. I know the second half performance in the last two games have been good, but we still have only won 44% of our games this season in the league. 4 of those 9 games were against the bottom half of the table.

Bet ya Chelsea will have increased the gap half-way into the season.

Chelsea and Arsenal lack depth and I think they'll drop off at one point thanks to Europe League. It'll depend on us being able to put a run or not. At least 7 points of the next 3 games needed.

Mata was replaced by a midfielder to support the midfielder. Hardly illogical here. Matic was rubbish and they were getting past him with ease and you can't trust Pogba to keep tracking backing. We needed someone to support midfielder.

Martial was dead tired when he was supposed. Again I don't understand your problem with this sub. He wasn't subbed by McTominay. He was subbed with another forward with fresh legs that was supposed to keep giving Chelsea troubles.

Are you predicting the lineup to play the full 90 minutes without changes to cope with what is happening in the game ?

Where did I say I didn't want him to make subs? That's very silly. If Matic is that bad, why not take him off instead? Herrera was a good sub to bring on, just the wrong players to take off. Martial was not tired, I don't buy that, let alone dead tired. It's a poor excuse when he kept Lukaku on and he looks dead tried in every match he played this season. Could have switched Martial with Lukaku. I don't see the logic in taking off someone who could have scored another goal with the space Chelsea were leaving.

Where did I say I didn't want him to make subs? That's very silly. If Matic is that bad, why not take him off instead? Herrera was a good sub to bring on, just the wrong players to take off. Martial was not tired, I don't buy that, let alone dead tired. It's a poor excuse when he kept Lukaku on and he looks dead tried in every match he played this season. Could have switched Martial with Lukaku. I don't see the logic in taking off someone who could have scored another goal with the space Chelsea were leaving.

We needed support in midfield as I said. Replacing a midfielder with another makes no sense at this. They were getting past the midfield easily and we needed bodies to cover spaces there.

Again you keep arguing about Martial as if he's subbed with McTominay or Fellaini to defend. Why wouldn't Sanchez with more fresh legs being able to "score another goal in the space Chelsea were leaving" ?

The problem with the subs was that it left Lukaku and Sanchez as our two forwards. Both are in poor form and are struggling with the basics of control and short passing. So, unsurprisingly, we lost our cutting edge on the counter at a time when we had Chelsea on the ropes. I am fairly sure that Martial at least could have carried on and maybe, just maybe, he would have made the difference.

We needed support in midfield as I said. Replacing a midfielder with another makes no sense at this. They were getting past the midfield easily and we needed bodies to cover spaces there.

Again you keep arguing about Martial as if he's subbed with McTominay or Fellaini to defend. Why wouldn't Sanchez with more fresh legs being able to "score another goal in the space Chelsea were leaving" ?

Fellaini would have been a good sub to bring later on for Matic. So your logic is here is that Matic is tired, he's not doing his job and we should take off other players who are playing well to cover for him? Herrera could have done the job Matic was doing, adding bodies just to have more numbers isn't a great plan either.

As for Sanchez, he was brought on to work hard and track back a bit more, that was pretty clear, which is fair enough. But Sanchez isn't banging them in, Martial did in the match, who says he didn't have one more in him?

Too negative. Again with the same ol' same old where we go on the back foot after leading with a goal. I really wanted him to succeed given that he was the most similiar manager to SAF when he was in his prime, but he has fallen down greatly from his Inter days.

We’re 9th (can end up 11th by the end of this match weekend) with 1/4 into the season, only showing attacking glimpses when we fall behind.

There’s patience and there’s delusion.

Fellaini would have been a good sub to bring later on for Matic. So your logic is here is that Matic is tired, he's not doing his job and we should take off other players who are playing well to cover for him? Herrera could have done the job Matic was doing, adding bodies just to have more numbers isn't a great plan either.

As for Sanchez, he was brought on to work hard and track back a bit more, that was pretty clear, which is fair enough. But Sanchez isn't banging them in, Martial did in the match, who says he didn't have one more in him?

We needed players in midfield. No chance we'll hang on 1 goal lead while having 1 DMF and another one who barely tracks back. We needed a switch to 3 men midfield and it's fairly logical Rashford or Mata would be the one taken off.

We’re 9th (can end up 11th by the end of this match weekend) with 1/4 into the season, only showing attacking glimpses when we fall behind.

Yep. There's zero progression now. Ignoring the total feck up to the start of the season and that we're on -1 goal difference (not that it should be ignored), are people happy with the same issues as always?

The substitution were at the 84' and 85th min . Nothing wrong with the subs as it was clearly meant to freshen up the attack.

what i don't understand with Mourinho is why does he insist on always starting games on the back foot? Its more taxing having to recover game after game, going in with a 'do not lose' mentality.

Second half we tend do try better, but almost every time Jose insists that that he doesn't tell the players to sit back. So are the players that thick, or is it now ingrained in them to always play negatively such that even when asked to be more positive from the word go they just don't know how to do it?

Go and as soon as possible the most boring negative manager iv ever seen .

As soon as we take a lead it's haul off our best players and try to lock up shop .

Go and as soon as possible the most boring negative manager iv ever seen .

As soon as we take a lead it's haul off our best players and try to lock up shop .
There are better ways of protecting a lead. Mourinho doesn't seem to know this. Keeping the ball out of the reach of the opposition with passing and inviting the fouls is just as important. That's what big teams do. It's as much of a defensive tactic as it is an attacking one. If you have the ball the other team can't score.

Exactly. I really want Jose to succeed but it won’t happen, he doesn’t suit United and United doesn’t suit him.

Off the field too many dramas. It’s every other day, it’s tiresome. Little digs at players, other managers etc. Just coach the players and get on with your job ffs.

Then on the field we’re negative more often than not. When we go behind, which is nearly every game these days, it’s like the players say “feck it” and just go for it.

We need a new face, someone who isn’t controversial and someone who is known as an attacking minded head coach.

We need to wipe the slate clean. Martial wants out. The football is often pretty dire. We’re not progressing under Jose whatsoever because where are we, 9th? Probably will be 11th by Monday. How is that progress? Nearly 2 and half seasons into his job and where is this progress?

Can the people who think we should stick with Mourinho (@Ban @Ramshock ?) put up a good debate as to why you think we’re going to succeed with Jose? I’m not looking for a debate, I am very interested in what you’re seeing that maybe some of us are missing? I don’t want to argue because I respect that others have differing opinions.

Exactly. I really want Jose to succeed but it won’t happen, he doesn’t suit United and United doesn’t suit him.

Off the field too many dramas. It’s every other day, it’s tiresome. Little digs at players, other managers etc. Just coach the players and get on with your job ffs.

Then on the field we’re negative more often than not. When we go behind, which is nearly every game these days, it’s like the players say “feck it” and just go for it.

We need a new face, someone who isn’t controversial and someone who is known as an attacking minded head coach.

We need to wipe the slate clean. Martial wants out. The football is often pretty dire. We’re not progressing under Jose whatsoever because where are we, 9th? Probably will be 11th by Monday. How is that progress? Nearly 2 and half seasons into his job and where is this progress?

Can the people who think we should stick with Mourinho (@Ban @Ramshock ?) put up a good debate as to why you think we’re going to succeed with Jose? I’m not looking for a debate, I am very interested in what you’re seeing that maybe some of us are missing? I don’t want to argue because I respect that others have differing opinions.
Of course but a bit later. :) Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.