The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've really enjoyed José the last 2 weeks I must say. Think there is a glimmer of hope. The Juve game will tell us for sure I think.

DDG (SAF signing), Mata (Moyes signing), Shaw and Martial (LVG's signings) were the best players on the pitch. Meanwhile Lindelof was shocking, Lukaku was a donkey, Pogba was responsible for Chelsea's goal, Sanchez was on the bench and Matic could costed us the game too. I guess Mou will think again before speaking about 'team inheritance'

DDG (SAF signing), Mata (Moyes signing), Shaw and Martial (LVG's signings) were the best players on the pitch. Meanwhile Lindelof was shocking, Lukaku was a donkey, Pogba was responsible for Chelsea's goal, Sanchez was on the bench and Matic could costed us the game too. I guess Mou will think again before speaking about 'team inheritance'

Pogba was very good in second half. The goal's fault aside, he's clearly the reason we start playing when he steps it up.

Pogba was arguably the best player ln the pitch second half. That's a nonsensical argument.

Nothing's changed in terms of us needing a managerial change IMO but the second half today was pretty good and maybe the plan is for everyone to pull together to get top 4 and part ways in the summer.

Ultimately I still think he's doomed here and I can't see us achieving anything this season with him as manager. However, I think he's done enough to keep trundling on for now.

I've at least enjoyed watching the last two games, mind.

I want Mourinho gone, but I'd also be happy if he turned it around.
These second halves vs Newcastle and Chelsea for example should be something for him to look at.

Why does it take losing positions and a half time whistle to change things.
Look at how positive and effective we look when we attack, close down and have movement in the final third.

What we've seen so many times in these first halves are negative approaches with no will to win the ball back, just wait for mistakes and then attack with numbers, that number being 2 or 3 at best. No support, no movement, nothing, nothing that would get you goals in this league.

I just want us to use our better players, which are all attacking ones and work from there. Second half yet again showed this off perfectly.

They were almost 2-0 up but for a miscontrolled pass by Alonso. They looked far more likely to create anything than we did in that half, but I’m the one with the agenda :rolleyes:

He took off our two best players on the day, one who was a massive threat going forward all day, and the other who is probably the best player in our team at ball retention, and replaced them with an attacker who loses the ball at almost every opportunity and a midfielder who hasn’t had a good game in quite some time. With Martial and Rashford off, only Sanchez and Lukaku were left beyond the halfway line. That is the definition of inviting oressure onto us. When you invite pressure you concede, that’s not rocket science, so yes, his subs were wrong.

It's a joke if we're talking about miscontrolled passes automatically ending up as goals let it alone it needs to be finished past DDG. You can look at the first half stats again, they created Jackshit except for the free header.

Your'e blaming Jose for taking off Martial at the 84th min? We lost the game in the last kick of the ball. Any other day the ball would've gone to DDG directly and we would've won. There is nothing to show this would've not happened even if Martial was on the field when this happened. It's wonderful when you're talking in hindsight. Chelsea got lucky rebound 2 years in front of goal and nothing could've prevented it.

Our squad as a whole are paid ridiculous sums considering what we've been getting out of them for the past few years. My general point is that Mourinho - at a minimum - should be able to mount a title challenge with what he has currently and if he can't then that's fully on him. It's alright to identify weaknesses in a squad and want to address them, but even without another new CB we shouldn't be conceding at a rate of almost two goals per game, especially under a manager famed for his ability to craft a quality defence. To highlight how stark an issue it is we've already conceded more this season than Jose's Chelsea did throughout the entirety of the 2004-05 season.
I am not absolving Mourinho of blame in entirety, he definitely owns responsibility although we have to also acknowledge that Ed has undermined him this window. You can't extend contract of manager in Jan and without a technical director or responsible figure, tell manager that players he is asking are no better than what he currently has. Still, of course, we should be doing better, both defensively and overall play/points wise. Lack of a top manager availability means I don't want to join Mourinho out brigade however, and add to pressure on Mou and team. That doesn't mean not to criticize Mou or team, but not go over the top in criticism, give them support when they need and see if things improve.

Can't knock him for the subs.
But again, another match we have to go behind to start playing.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment mate, you have perhaps forgotten how often SAF did that very same thing - particularly in his final title-winning season. The difference being, of course, is that we had the likes of Rooney and RVP available on the counter, so we still represented somehwta of a threat.

Lukaku, at least on current form, is not nearly as good as the previously mentioned.

We did play some great games with fergie in his final years. We had our bogey teams, no matter how we line up we still play shit but we never set up with tactics to either lump it or just have 10 men behind the ball.

Taking Mata and Martial off was stupid, just gave Chelsea control of the game. We're very good when we're allowed to attack and given freedom but when we sit back and try to defend all the weaknesses start to reappear. I wish he wasn't so defensive minded

I honestly don’t think you can blame the subs or Jose for them scoring a goal in the 96th minute.

Our defence were slow to react and Chelsea had 2/3 chances before Barkley scored. Chelsea were ALWAYS going to attack and throw everyone forward in those final minutes, so we weren’t exactly inviting the pressure, we were trying to cope with it (and we almost did!).

We are showing signs of progress and I think we should try to look at the positives and get behind Jose and the team, but hey, what do I know.

Chelsea did feck all the whole 90 minutes and were heavily relaying on Hazard and lumping it in last minutes. They were shite the whole 90 minutes, at least we were good in one half, they were in neither.

The Sarri love is tiresome.

Changed my vote to not yet as I am seeing a turn around over the past 2 games. The Juventus game will show where we are at. As devestated as I am with that last minute goal, I saw enough positivity and resolve from the team and manager.

Here's the incident

Initial provocation

On the way back

Going by the number of annoyed faces, I think Marco Ianni did or yelled some sort of provocation on the way back as well.

Stewards effectively stopped Jose from chinning the cnut, but didn't stop anyone from the Chelsea bench from launching towards the United technical area.

The club should be punished, considering Jose once got sent to the stands for putting one foot on the pitch, surely it can't be okay for the Chelsea bench to step in to United's technical area and celebrate not once, but twice, in the managers face. The media are reporting it as a Jose "bust up" and a Jose "meltdown". I've not yet seen a report that even mentions the Chelsea assistant by name. I wouldn't be surprised if Jose gets a ban and Chelsea get nothing.

It depends on what your expectations are for the season, but with how the top five teams are currently playing we really can't afford to be dropping points at all. We've got City and Liverpool away over the next two months - ideally a point would be fine in both games, but we've already dropped too many points to now not be looking at them as must-wins.

Yeah I think a title challenge is gone but I don't actually rate Chelsea and Liverpool as highly as their points tally suggests. They both have some flaws which will be exploited over the course of the season.

What he did was take the sting of our attack. Herrera and Pereira are a defensive subtute, and subbing Sanchez for Martial is just criminal
Rashford was injured and martial was knackered, that much was obvious.
Also pereira being made out to be a defensive sub is laughable.

It's a joke if we're talking about miscontrolled passes automatically ending up as goals let it alone it needs to be finished past DDG. You can look at the first half stats again, they created Jackshit except for the free header.

Your'e blaming Jose for taking off Martial at the 84th min? We lost the game in the last kick of the ball. Any other day the ball would've gone to DDG directly and we would've won. There is nothing to show this would've not happened even if Martial was on the field when this happened. It's wonderful when you're talking in hindsight. Chelsea got lucky rebound 2 years in front of goal and nothing could've prevented it.

If we still had control of the game for all you know the ball wouldn’t even have been in that area. We’re both arguing hypotheticals. I’m not saying we weren’t unlucky, I just don’t understand why Mourinho deserves “time and love” as you put it for a game that was dragged back by a player he’s been trying to get rid of, after his tactics weren’t producing anything for us.

Yeah I think a title challenge is gone but I don't actually rate Chelsea and Liverpool as highly as their points tally suggests. They both have some flaws which will be exploited over the course of the season.
Think the slight worry there is that both have a higher ceiling they've yet to reach, they both could get a lot better yet.

True, but even with our start in mind, away at the Bridge wasnt really a must must win. If we were at OT then maybe. Its a good result.
It doesn't have to come at Stamford Bridge but it may have to come in the other harder fixtures. Our start to the season makes these games points dropped not points gained. We could be 7 points out of the top 4 by Monday despite today's spirited performance. Those points we dropped to smaller sides are the freebie wins that would nornally make games like today a good result

I still feel the club needs to act proactively and start building for our future.

We're just prolonging the inevitable at the moment.

I feel the top 4 is nailed on to be City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal.

What would they do? Change the tactics, shut shop and pray that the other team don’t score from every attack?

They would do exactly what every top team does if they lead by one goal away to a league leader: exchange an attacker for a midfielder, get fresh legs on the pitch, try to keep it disciplined at the back and keep an attacking outlet open. Sanchez for Martial at that point makes normal sense, Pereira for Rashford too. That’s two players better at creation than at defending. Chelsea didn’t create a lot of chances towards the end, in fact Sanchez set up Lukaku and Lukaku Pogba for what arguably was as big a chance as anything they got before the goal. The goal, after a cornermark long throw, when they have their CBs still in attack, is what will sometimes happen but most often not when a team needing a goal goes all in.

People complaining about tactics after 2-2 away at Chelsea in an even game where both their goals came as a result of set pieces clearly see what they want, but complaining about those changes costing us the game is moronic unless it’s because you wanted Fellaini or McTominay on the pitch.

Anyone slagging off Pogba after he totally bossed Chelsea's supposedly great midfield in that second half needs to step away from the keyboard.

Anyone slating him specifically without mention of Matic's first half shithouse disasterclass in the same post has a Souness-like agenda to uphold

Chelsea were never threatening in the game - We never lost control like a lot of teams do at Stamford Bridge. Mourinho doesn't deserve too much praise/blame for the lineup/subs than he did last week when it worked in reverse.

It was a good performance and would be seen as a good result if we'd have been the ones equalising. Annoying because we had chances to kill it and although his subs didn't help the opportunities were still there. I hated the lineup when I seen it but we coped pretty well. We were the better side.

I honestly don’t think you can blame the subs or Jose for them scoring a goal in the 96th minute.

Our defence were slow to react and Chelsea had 2/3 chances before Barkley scored. Chelsea were ALWAYS going to attack and throw everyone forward in those final minutes, so we weren’t exactly inviting the pressure, we were trying to cope with it (and we almost did!).

We are showing signs of progress and I think we should try to look at the positives and get behind Jose and the team, but hey, what do I know.

My issue with the subs comes down to me thinking we could have scored more goals if we kept pushing forward. Taking off your goal scorer takes away some of your fear factor too. Easy to say now, but I didn't think a 1 goal lead was enough with our recent defensive record.

The last two matches showed our strength lies in keeping the ball and having the freedom to attack, when we sit deep and defend it doesn't work out. Chelsea were not good, that's what hurts. 3 points would have been massive, it would have made a statement

And so can we.
In theory yeah sure, but I don't see us getting much better, we still have some real gaping holes in CB, CDM, RB/RW that urgently need filling throw in Lukaku in his current form and our flaws seem to be quite a bit more serious than those around us.

My issue with the subs comes down to me thinking we could have scored more goals if we kept pushing forward. Taking off your goal scorer takes away some of your fear factor too. Easy to say now, but I didn't think a 1 goal lead was enough with our recent defensive record.

The last two matches showed our strength lies in keeping the ball and having the freedom to attack, when we sit deep and defend it doesn't work out. Chelsea were not good, that's what hurts. 3 points would have been massive, it would have made a statement

The subs weren't defensive. He put an attacker and an attacking midfielder with fresh legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.