The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s not what I asked, if you were supporting those two until they got sacked then you must be mad, we support Manchester United not Moyes, lvg or José, if its clear its not working then we need to move on.
I really believed José would be a success here and stay for a long time but Ed telling him he knows better was the beginning of the end, absolutely fecking stupid to extend his contract then not back him in the window which must’ve been around the time Ed had José’s targets.

Can’t disagree with any of that mate.

If he leaves on bad terms it will be quite interesting to hear his take on the inner workings of the club.
Surely any top manager would think twice about taking on the job if Jose is sacked before the season ends. A poisoned chalice.

It won't be any difference from what LvG said after he left. He will talk shite about board and Ed as much as LVG did and looks like the later wasn't wrong. Doesn't mean both didn't/doesn't deserve the sack though.

He doesn't have a history of speaking badly of his former employees. It would be a step away from the usual/normal if he did.

Seen this on twitter! I tend to agree

That’s one thing wish Fergie had never said because people took it to mean “ignore the burning house, have blind faith and follow the manager down a precipice”, and people feel like doing all that somehow makes them proper fans. the amount of times that video gets pulled out to justify the tripe we are being served is madness

Last edited:
I'm still in the Mourinho in camp. I believe he's nowhere near on a decline. Shit happens. Everything goes wrong.

The dross that has been served this season is too bad to be his fault. The players have lost the desire and confidence due to splits in the camp. You can tell there's something wrong between the players and right now it's a very difficult place to coach.

Would be nice to see this side play like one of his best Chelsea teams for once.

Uhhh, yeah, that's because of Mourinho.

Time to go.

I've stayed off the topic out of respect but this guy is going to take your club backwards.

Same with Pellergini's time at City. Some absurd signings and a lack of youth involvement took us backwards, although the tinted spectacle one's always declare he's City's most successful.

Whether you agree with the boards stance on the lack of signings over the summer it will mean less of a clearout when someone does take over.

The next question that needs answered is who. If that manager can get the best out of players like Martial, Sanchez, Lukaku, Matic, etc then the future doesn't look too bad.

Although some players need to follow Mourinho too.

Honestly never thought I'd see United run like this.

Like, i don't know if it is worth it. But if Mourinho is backed fully, then obviously he will win us the league at some point and probably the CL too. Of this there is no doubt in my mind. It is just, how much time does he need to do it and do we have more faith in the current squad than patience for him to build a new one. Because at this point, it clearly isn't working with what hes got. So either we have to just let him have at it and trust him, or get him the feck out and just hope some magical figure can come in and do what nobody else seems to be able to.

If everybody just backed him and he got the best conditions to get it right, i would put money on that mans ability to win stuff, and that is the only thing he's got going for him right now. It is certainly easier to imagine someone else than him taking us out of this mess and make us exiting, but for how long will that work? I'm fed up but can't do nothing so i'll be good with whatever happens and we just have to see, but as far as winning i know my pick.

Have a funny feeling Woodward is prolonging this as a slight ‘feck you' to the fans for the plane banner.

Is there a reason people think Carrick would take over if Mou leaves? Would it not make more sense for McKenna to be the caretaker since has actually coached a team?

Also, I know Butt was the u-18s playing some pretty good attractive stuff, but not sure I would take him away from the academy though.

This thread is Berlin April 45 hehe.
I can only think of 2 scenarios where Mourinho survives.
-Mourinho and the players have a serious meeting, in which the two concede, leaving out leaks, comments in the press, etc.
The Pogba thing comes from far away and maybe some players are not for the job either.
-The board gets serious and publicly supports Mourinho, warning or punishing any player directly.

Good post @crossy1686. I've had more doubts that he's indeed fighting the board and trying to get the sack.

One things for sure, Woodward doesn't get near enough stick in this forum. His job has been dreadful since SAF retirement (the worst, by far, amongst European giants). Sure he's good with marketing and that crap but what about genuine player quality? Club identity? Long term vision? Zero

Your only good young prospects either came from the Academy (Rashford) or were bought by José (Dalot).

Yeah and everybody loves Mourinho, it's an odd place at times.....

That’s one thing wish Fergie had never said because people took it to mean “ignore the burning house, have blind faith and follow the manager down a precipice”, and people feel like doing all that someone makes them proper fans. the amount of times that video gets pulled out to justify the tripe we are being served is madness

And thereath speaketh a spoilt little rich kid.

If I was doing shit at my job, would my manager or our costumers say "give him time. We must support him" especially if I spent millions of company resources?

Seen this on twitter! I tend to agree

When Fergie said that he didn’t realize we’d have manager who regularly picks fights in the press with his players. Loyalty is a two way street. Moaninho may be right, but you don’t air your dirty washing in public. Out immediately imo.

So it seems a critical mass has been reached quite rapidly over the last 10 days or so. My Mourinho In thread was merged with the Mourinho is a has-been thread. So here is another thread for the few who still back the manager.

I can't say I've enjoyed the disaster that this season has turned into but I don't think Jose is outdated or somehow not a top manager anymore. He is clearly struggling with getting the best out of the team this season, but it's still early IMV. The bigger concern is the mood and the personality clashes. Something has got to give there and I'm inclined to side with the manager over Pogba, for instance. I also don't believe getting a new manager in right now will do any magic. It's a pretty bad time to be coming into the job for anyone. If the board decide to sack him I'd hope it would be an interim situation where everybody is playing for their United futures.

A lot of the criticism of Mourinho is warranted. The team selection at times, how he defends himself in the press can leave a bad taste, but I just see a manager who struggles with a team that doesn't have the character he is used to. What makes it even harder is that the quality is also not high enough. I'd still give him more time and backing.

I don't see a better alternative than going with him for the season and reassess towards the end of the season. And if that turns out to be the case, we should back him in the January market and prepare those moves now.

@Bastian i’m in here with you. Sorry for being late to the thread.

I don’t like turning on managers so early in the season. Pragmatic brand of football is not outdated. It continues to win titles whether you like it or not but to win the manager needs players who has the right set of qualities, has the work rate, and are disciplined. I don’t see it being all Jose’s fault that you can hang all the blame on him. I just don’t think José was allowed to build the team he wanted. He may have gotten one of two that were clearly his choices but overall, it doesn’t look like it. Ed shares the blame and the players share the blame. Jose definitely could do better but the manager and the team needs our support more than ever.

I still feel that José will turn this around. He may need to stop playing the players who aren’t fully in and dip into our youth system.

If Mourinho is still here by the end of the next international break, top 4 is gone, season over. He clearly doesn't care about United anymore.

He threw that West Ham game just to make a point. It's clear as daylight. You could see it on all of the player's face on the bench, most of them don't believe in him anymore.

Fellaini, McTominay and Matic are some of the only ones who I think still believe in the manager.

We are beyond the football simply being pragmatic, you either sell half our squad and keep Jose or you get rid of him and finally see the team under a coach who fits in with the ethos of the club.

I've defended Jose all the way up until the West Ham game. Enough is enough. We are at a point where we'd do better managerless than with Jose imo.

To the Man United board: Sack him now and then you have 2 options -

Option 1: Appoint Zidane.

Option 2: Give McKenna the job for the rest of this season. In the meantime we can look for a manager for next season and beyond (if McKenna does really well consider permanently appointing him as Man United manager/head coach).

Last edited:
The guy wants the crazy payout we gave him when stupidly extending his contract.

Remember when he flirted with PSG last year for more money?

Guys a piece of work.

I expected "At first I was afraid.."

If he leaves on bad terms it will be quite interesting to hear his take on the inner workings of the club.

Surely any top manager would think twice about taking on the job if Jose is sacked before the season ends. A poisoned chalice.
Is that because Jose is a paragon of virtues who never says a thing out of line or has never had acrimonious end to his tenures before or has never been sacked before?

Help me out here - which of Jose's qualities mentioned above will be the cause for other top managers to think that managing Man United is a "poisoned chalice"?

Sorry for this rant. Somebody has to vent it.

I think this fecker is on a mission to intentionally sabotage us. Just like with Barca, I think he holds a grudge against us for not choosing him to replace Sir Alex. The club knew Sir Alex would retire around Jan/Feb, right? Maybe the 'not so special one' feels it was a long time to have approached him before Chelsea did.

Before he took over, Martial and Rashford were showing some encouraging signs of a potent partnership. What does his maniac do? Never tries to build on it, instead make them compete as wingers. Any sane person would think a 35 year old striker would be a good stop gap and a safety net to develop them two. But no that would be too much of a ask. He plays the aging striker intensively, subsequently injures him. Most posters here knew Zlatan was showing signs of fatigue as the season progressed and an injury might happen. Regardless, the all knowing cnut didn't.

There's also the Pogba situation. Buys him for a record fee and doesn't know how to use him. Pogba has his own ego trip but when you have a player who you should build a team around you make sure to have a good relationship with him. This Jose-Pogba situation is not dissimilar to LVG-ADM situation.

Then there's a whole host of failed signings. Where do I start? The ("I am running out of insult"__[insert abusive word here]) brings in two CBs and still cannot improve on Smalling. Not slight on Smalling but he hasn't always started the season as first choice under Jose but had to depend on him because others were shit. Only he knows what he is doing hoarding useless CBs that he ain't gonna use and sending off promising talents like TFM and Tuanzebe on loans.

He brings in Lukaku to play him like Drogba. Cafe joking likes to call such statement as being racist. How can a experienced manager not get the easy fact that two of his past and present players aren't alike apart from their built and the color of their skin. Yet he still persists to not play according to the strength of his players.

Then there's Sanchez and Fred situation. Has his judgement of talents really gone to shit or is he just a sleeper agent. He keeps playing a poor Sanchez and takes a dig at fans for saying he's been poor. Doesn't even try Sanchez in a different position. What's so special about our RW that we keep hoarding players for LW. The Fred situation feels like Mkhitaryan situation.

And what is up with his love for McTominay. To me he's bullying McTominay. Showering him with false praise to downgrade others. Making a rookie his POTY. You're going overboard with your praise for the boy making it clear you're taking a dig. He doesn't really believe he's a talent, he just using him as a pawn for his game. Shame on you motherf**ker. Then there's Pereira. Another player he could use if he's so out of love for Pogba but that boy hurt his feelings last season. Aww! Big bad Andreas didn't trust Jose to give him games and went out on loan. Poor old soul that Jose. Now he's like, "Take that you Brazilian twat."

And fecking hell, we make every opponent look like Barca. They are so much better at keeping the ball, its amazing to think what we do in training. We setup like we're the underdogs against every fecking opponent. In-game management is also poor. Previous seasons, against us every GK were world class now its every tom dick and harry.

Get him out, get him out now while the season can still be saved or risk losing out on CL money and DDG, Pogba and Martial and overpaying for their replacements.

Have some self respect United. Why do we treat Jose like a savior. He hasn't achieved anything for us. He has won a League cup which Sir Alex used to give youths experience and a Europa League which frankly is not a competition you'd follow unless your team is in it.

Last edited:
Can we fly a plane with a banner aimed at Jose? In fact two planes would be better.

I think this fecker is on a mission to intentionally sabotage us.
Just like with Barca, I think he holds a grudge against us for not choosing him to replace Sir Alex. The club knew Sir Alex would retire around Jan/Feb, right? Maybe the 'not so special one' feels it was a long time to have approached him before Chelsea did.

Before he took over, Martial and Rashford were showing some encouraging signs of a potent partnership. What does his maniac do? Never tries to build on it, instead make them compete as wingers. Any sane person would think a 35 year old striker would be a good stop gap and a safety net to develop them two. But no that would be too much of a ask. He plays the aging striker intensively, subsequently injures him. Most posters here knew Zlatan was showing signs of fatigue as the season progressed and an injury might happen. Regardless, the all knowing cnut didn't.

There's also the Pogba situation. Buys him for a record fee and doesn't know how to use him. Pogba has his own ego trip but when you have a player who you should build a team around you make sure to have a good relationship with him. This Jose-Pogba situation is not dissimilar to LVG-ADM situation.

Then there's a whole host of failed signings. Where do I start? The ("I am running out of insult"__[insert abusive word here]) brings in two CBs and still cannot improve on Smalling. Not slight on Smalling but he hasn't always started the season as first choice under Jose but had to depend on him because others were shit. Only he knows what he is doing hoarding useless CBs that he ain't gonna use and sending off promising talents like TFM and Tuanzebe on loans.

He brings in Lukaku to play him like Drogba. Cafe joking likes to call such statement as being racist. How can a experienced manager not get the easy fact that two of his past and present players aren't alike apart from their built and the color of their skin. Yet he still persists to not play according to the strength of his players.

Then there's Sanchez and Fred situation. Has his judgement of talents really gone to shit or is he just a sleeper agent. He keeps playing a poor Sanchez and takes a dig at fans for saying he's been poor. Doesn't even try Sanchez in a different position. What's so special about our RW that we keep hoarding players for LW. The Fred situation feels like Mkhitaryan situation.

And what is up with his love for McTominay. To me he's bullying McTominay. Showering him with false praise to downgrade others. Making a rookie his POTY. You're going overboard with your praise for the boy making it clear you're taking a dig. He doesn't really believe he's a talent, he just using him as a pawn for his game. Shame on you motherf**ker. Then there's Pereira. Another player he could use if he's so out of love for Pogba but that boy hurt his feelings last season. Aww! Big bad Andreas didn't trust Jose to give him games and went out on loan. Poor old soul that Jose. Now he's like, "Take that you Brazilian twat."

And fecking hell, we make every opponent look like Barca. They are so much better at keeping the ball, its amazing to think what we do in training. We setup like we're the underdogs against every fecking opponent. In-game management is also poor. Previous seasons, against us every GK were world class now its every tom dick and harry.

Get him out, get him out now while the season can still be saved or risk losing out on CL money and DDG, Pogba and Martial and overpaying for their replacements.
Agree with the whole post, the bolded part in particular. Imagine the cost of a rebuild after the fecker leaves.

And I thought we'd weeded out the last of the Mou rectum dwellers after the old threads were merged. ^_~

I think this fecker is on a mission to intentionally sabotage us. Just like with Barca, I think he holds a grudge against us for not choosing him to replace Sir Alex. The club knew Sir Alex would retire around Jan/Feb, right? Maybe the 'not so special one' feels it was a long time to have approached him before Chelsea did.

With all due respect, you’re talking complete rubbish mate.

If he wanted to sabotage us, he wouldn’t have won us a European trophy, he wouldn’t have got us to our highest league standing since Fergie retired.

When will people realise that Martial and Rashford just aren’t good enough to start every week. Rashford is a promising talent but Martial has shown absolutely NOTHING since LVG left. Zilch. He is the biggest myth player going. People say Mourinho ruined him, “doesn’t play him enough”, “needs a run of 10 games”... that’s bullshit. Sturridge only came on the pitch against Chelsea and buried one. He wasn’t given a run of 10 games. And don’t flip this and say “Oh but Klopp plays more attacking”... Martial had his chances to score and has looked shit in front of goal. That header on Saturday springs to mind. The man is a dribble merchant. It’s okay to be inconsistent, not track back, walk around the pitch with a face like a slapped arse and a “I don’t care” attitude as long as you can nutmeg some pub league defender and have that debut goal against Liverpool on your CV.

Rashford has been inconsistent aswell. He has flashes of brilliance but this set up only has room for one striker and it’s always gonna be Lukaku. He is just further ahead than Rashford at this minute. Better scorer, stronger, better hold up play, etc. This would be obvious to every manager.

Pogba is all about himself. Doesn’t give a feck about United. There’s no player to “unlock” him, no new manager will make him different or better. He is what he’s always gonna be and that’s a showpony. That’s alright when you have world class players beside you doing the hard work like Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio and Kante and Matuidi... but you can’t build a team around a player like that. Especially with his attitude to top it off.

As for your other points... I don’t even know what you’re on about to be honest. You’re slating him for not playing youth and yet you’re giving out about him using McTominay. McTominay reminds me of a young Darren Fletcher. I remember him getting shit back in the day aswell. He turned out pretty well in the end.

Can we stop pretending we aren't a sacking club. It's impossible in this day and age to be a top club and have your manager go backwards and give him time. If you're at the bottom and there are bright spots, sure give someone more time. United is going backwards with him at the helm. Cut the cord (feck his buyout, we didn't spend in the summer, shouldn't matter). Our football is dire and the results are gone. If he had some decent results recently I'd understand some sentiment of giving him time but when we're boring the hell out of lower league teams and losing to them it's time to end it.

I've backed him previously but you sense that there has to be a radical change, Woodward once again showed is football naievity with the contract extension which further proves his unsuitabillity.

As a side note Mourinho could do worse than going down a different path in selecting the likes of Pereira, Dalot, Gomez, Chong and yes Martial who are all hungry and talented, if Mourinho wants to turn things around then just give youth its head and let them be expressive, he owes it to himself now to be bold here at the eleventh hour!

The international break is the perfect opportunity to just sack his sorry ass but i'm afraid they'll wait longer until all hope is lost for this season.

Have some self respect United. Why do we treat Jose like a savior. He hasn't achieved anything for us. He has won a League cup which Sir Alex used to give youths experience and a Europa League which frankly is not a competition you'd follow unless your team is in it.

Not sure if everything you said is true but its cathartic to read. What a destructive personality our manager is.

Got a feeling that the game at the Bridge will be his Waterloo. We hardly win there on the best of days, now all Hazard needs is the extra motivation in addition to his current form.

To fix our current mess he would probably need to replace about 10-15 players because the current ones are not buying into him anymore at all. The lack of effort has been apparent since the beginning of the season but has become even more clear over the last 2-3 weeks. Things aren’t going to suddenly change, we won’t play good football and win game after game.

A new manager won’t make us challengers but could at least make us more likely to turn around the current bad run. We have zero chance of getting into top 4 with Mourinho this year and we’ll probably not win a single CL knockout game either.

We should act quickly now to address the situation. Any delay is making us less and less likely to even compete for a CL spot for 2019-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.