The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support him all you want if it makes you feel superior to your average United fan, but it will make absolutely no difference in the end. Jose will be sacked within the next 14 days due to gross incompetence.

I agree about the lower attendances not bothering Ed. They might bother the players though and then the results will suffer even more. Then the board might sit up and take notice. Although I am beginning to wonder if the players would rather play behind closed door, no booing of individual players then.
Why would lower attendances not bother the CEO? Do you mean that match-day revenue is of little consequence when compared to corporate sponsorship? Do you not feel that empty seats will put sponsors off from backing a "brand" ( hate that word ), which would increasingly appear to be diminishing in popularity.

You could actually rock up last night and purchase tickets on the door ......... for a CL game, against a decent opponent. It was a bad evening all round at the ground last night, and I think the vibe is starting to bleed through into what this club is and represents to everyone in the wider footballing community.

The players are also a bunch of twats.

But given all the stick Mourinho has been getting, if they liked him, they would have been striving to go over and above for him in the last few weeks.

It’s telling that when their manager is getting a bunch of stick, they still play the same.

Like I said they are all twats for being so unprofessional but that doesn’t change the fact that Mourinho ain’t going to be able to fix it if the lack of support for him in the player camp is so widespread.
To me, the only question is about whether the difference is just motivation. I see it in my work. When an employee is motivated and has a lot of self-belief, he or she delivers far beyond what they would normally be expected to do on talent alone. In football, I give you John O'Shea, Wes Brown, Tom Cleverley and co. when playing for Fergie. This comes from above though. The manager / hierarchy above is the key element in building this story. The narrative of goals, roles and fitness for purpose. Are Henderson, Milner or Wijnaldum actual world-beaters? How about Fabien Delph? Yet, these people perform at a much higher level than people for us with a lot more talent - Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku etc. This element, the motivation and belief, is that final ingredient. It's what makes the difference when push comes to shove at the highest level.

Found it amusing and possibly rather telling last night that,in the players tunnel, the United players weren't giving much eye contact towards Jose.
The tension seemed quite telling.Jose looked like abit of a loner with our players.
He seemed friendly enough with the opposition though.

Why would lower attendances not bother the CEO? Do you mean that match-day revenue is of little consequence when compared to corporate sponsorship? Do you not feel that empty seats will put sponsors off from backing a "brand" ( hate that word ), which would increasingly appear to be diminishing in popularity.

You could actually rock up last night and purchase tickets on the door ......... for a CL game, against a decent opponent. It was a bad evening all round at the ground last night, and I think the vibe is starting to bleed through into what this club is and represents to everyone in the wider footballing community.
Because it's been brought up before. Not sure if anyone could dig it up. Know the argument has cropped up before. Depends how many season ticket holder we have I suppose. They already have the money for those. Punter also order tickets weeks ahead, so if they chose not to come to the game, then they also already have the money for them as well. The thing that would suffer if the Mega store and the food sellers in the stadium and outside.

If it does upset the sponsors, then they will have to take it up with Ed themselves.

I don't think some people are falling for his "have no quality to play from the back" shenanigans, but rather they're using what he says as a fitting excuse due to their ego not allowing them to admit they were wrong.

Besides anyone with any football knowledge can see that other than that Spurs half we have never really shown any intent to play from the back unless he's referring to higher quality hoofballs from our CB's.

I'm having a repeat of how I spent Monday, sat with Sky Sports News on the telly just willing for the Breaking News caption to appear!!

Can anyone tell me of another "top" team or manager that will play 2 midfielders like Matic and Fellaini together at home against a fairly mediocre side like this season's Valencia?

I cant think of one right now. Its a very David Moyes thing to do.

Most other top teams and managers are thinking about how to attack the opposition and they might have 1 physical player in there to help win the midfield battle, but wont overload it with physical players with low mobility. And a lot of those teams will try to use clever players to help unlock the other team. Maybe 2 of that kind and a physical DM.

But here we are worrying about the 12th best La Liga team's attacks, with their joint worst in the league goalscoring record. So Mourinho puts the lumps in midfield to apparently stop their counterattacks, which they proceeded to have plenty of and play 1 touch football passing circles around our midfield at will.

Get the feeling the only reason he's still here is because the idiots in charge doubled his severance payoff with that premature contract extension

Is there a reason people think Carrick would take over if Mou leaves? Would it not make more sense for McKenna to be the caretaker since has actually coached a team?
McKenna as caretaker with Carrick assisting would be the sensible option once Jose is gone, then get in a director of football and task him to outline United's footballing vision and identify head coach candidates to take over next summer. Get off your arse Woody!

This may sound like a mad conspiracy and quite controversial, but our current situation looks very like a sabotage by Mourinho. People have made the joke about his management strategy and 3rd season syndrome..

1st season = Mourinho buys the bus.
2nd season = Mourinho parks the bus.
3rd season = Mourinho throws the players under the bus.

Then he leaves the club with enough money in his pockets that he could buy his own country. This is exactly what is happening now. It started in pre-season. All the other clubs had players who were at the World cup as well, and their managers were full of praise. Hazard came back from the World Cup better than ever. So did Raheem Sterling, Aguero. Ours came backed completely fooked. Lukaku looks like he's got concrete in his boots. Lingard has barely played. Pogba has been publicly shamed. In August, Jose tried to sell Martial. He's slagged off the central defenders, 2 of which he brought in! Subsequently, he has left players out of the squad completely, then throws them into a CL game with no match fitness or cohesion with the rest of team. He makes bizarre decisions in playing people out of position. That first half against West Ham, nobody knew what they were doing, what the tactics were. We gave three quarters of the pitch to West Ham and stood and watched them play. Last night, he brought in 3 players from the cold. Sanchez, Valencia and Bailly. None of them have kicked a ball in ages. And here they are in a champions league game. He will probably drop them for the next match and a few others, then start a new line up with Herrera and Mata, who also haven't played much football recently. This team will never get into a rhythm, because he won't allow them to settle into a tried and tested formation. He knows this. He has more medals than all the PL managers put together. So why is this happening? I can only deduce from this that he is trying his upmost to sabotage our season to both prove a point about not being backed in the transfer market and to get himself out of the Lowry Hotel for good.

We need a new, hungry manager to come in and bond with the players. To play a settled starting 11 and gain momentum. No ego's, just respect, hard work and the will to win and keep winning. We need to get the pest control in, and remove this parasite from our club, because he will only bring us down further.

Weirdly think the players are more up for the CL games, even though we were dreadful last night. They know the league is gone, but the CL is at least somewhat alive.

Found it amusing and possibly rather telling last night that,in the players tunnel, the United players weren't giving much eye contact towards Jose.
The tension seemed quite telling.Jose looked like abit of a loner with our players.
He seemed friendly enough with the opposition though.

Does Mendes still have a heavy presence at Valencia? That could probably be where José rocks up to after this job, as he’s not likely to get one of the top clubs again. Laying the foundation for his new players.

Is it true that even Manchester's police didn't escape Mourinho's blame game as he put the blame on them for team running late last night?

Is it true that even Manchester's police didn't escape Mourinho's blame game as he put the blame on them for team running late last night?

Yep, he really is a nasty piece of work, a disgusting little man.

Almost 75% of the CAF want him gone, been a massive change recently and from the looks of it a lot of new voters.

Can anyone tell me of another "top" team or manager that will play 2 midfielders like Matic and Fellaini together at home against a fairly mediocre side like this season's Valencia?

I cant think of one right now. Its a very David Moyes thing to do.

Most other top teams and managers are thinking about how to attack the opposition and they might have 1 physical player in there to help win the midfield battle, but wont overload it with physical players with low mobility. And a lot of those teams will try to use clever players to help unlock the other team. Maybe 2 of that kind and a physical DM.

But here we are worrying about the 12th best La Liga team's attacks, with their joint worst in the league goalscoring record. So Mourinho puts the lumps in midfield to apparently stop their counterattacks, which they proceeded to have plenty of and play 1 touch football passing circles around our midfield at will.

Not even Moyes would do that, he set up ultra defensive against Bayern at home, but not against Valencia that is currently struggling at bottom half of La Liga. Even Moyes set up an attacking team against Sociedad and Leverkusen at home.

Finally shifted over to Mourinho Out :(

There's no way back from this unfortunately, we've seen it all before at other clubs and there's only one way this is going to play out.

The club needs to act quickly.

I have to admit I am starting to feel that we will have Mourinho until the end of the season. He won’t be going anywhere until then. Woodward and the board don’t have the balls to sack him. So we may as well buckle up, because it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Finally shifted over to Mourinho Out :(

There's no way back from this unfortunately, we've seen it all before at other clubs and there's only one way this is going to play out.

The club needs to act quickly.
Fair play. It’s hard when something you really want doesn’t work but this is the best action for the club at the moment. We need some positivity at least, we won’t get any with him in charge.

Michael Carrick as caretaker :lol:

Hilarious scenes if true.

Mourinho will be in tears laughing when he sees the damage that will be done.

This may sound like a mad conspiracy and quite controversial, but our current situation looks very like a sabotage by Mourinho. People have made the joke about his management strategy and 3rd season syndrome..

1st season = Mourinho buys the bus.
2nd season = Mourinho parks the bus.
3rd season = Mourinho throws the players under the bus.

Then he leaves the club with enough money in his pockets that he could buy his own country. This is exactly what is happening now. It started in pre-season. All the other clubs had players who were at the World cup as well, and their managers were full of praise. Hazard came back from the World Cup better than ever. So did Raheem Sterling, Aguero. Ours came backed completely fooked. Lukaku looks like he's got concrete in his boots. Lingard has barely played. Pogba has been publicly shamed. In August, Jose tried to sell Martial. He's slagged off the central defenders, 2 of which he brought in! Subsequently, he has left players out of the squad completely, then throws them into a CL game with no match fitness or cohesion with the rest of team. He makes bizarre decisions in playing people out of position. That first half against West Ham, nobody knew what they were doing, what the tactics were. We gave three quarters of the pitch to West Ham and stood and watched them play. Last night, he brought in 3 players from the cold. Sanchez, Valencia and Bailly. None of them have kicked a ball in ages. And here they are in a champions league game. He will probably drop them for the next match and a few others, then start a new line up with Herrera and Mata, who also haven't played much football recently. This team will never get into a rhythm, because he won't allow them to settle into a tried and tested formation. He knows this. He has more medals than all the PL managers put together. So why is this happening? I can only deduce from this that he is trying his upmost to sabotage our season to both prove a point about not being backed in the transfer market and to get himself out of the Lowry Hotel for good.

We need a new, hungry manager to come in and bond with the players. To play a settled starting 11 and gain momentum. No ego's, just respect, hard work and the will to win and keep winning. We need to get the pest control in, and remove this parasite from our club, because he will only bring us down further.

Don't think so. Mourinho's reputation is already shot from his final season with Chelsea, and failure with us would seal the perception of him as permanently damaged goods. I don't believe he wants that, and so won't be trying to sabotage us intentionally for a payoff.

But it is a fact that his enthusiasm has gone. He probably knows that his sacking is drawing nearer, and that he cannot mend bridges with several players to elicit a response from them. He threw many of them under the bus (like Martial, Shaw, Bailly) under the notion that he would be backed in the transfer market, but that gamble has failed. He is now forced to work with the players he thought would no longer be in his squad --- Shaw has taken it in his stride but Martial and Bailly are clearly demotivated.

The players he already bought to replace some others are not performing well enough to warrant regular starts -- thus he has no "warriors", a core group of players that he can depend on to bail him out consistently apart from Matic and Fellaini. Incidentally, that was part of the reason he was so desperate to keep Fellaini.

His comments about Pogba at the start of the season regarding his world cup performances was part of his strategy to fire up Pogba and get him delivering world class performances week in and week out. He didn't expect Pogba to take it so badly as to completely rupture their relationship.

Everything he gambled on has failed, so he has become somewhat resigned to his fate.

In all, what he's done is not intentional damage. It is a huge error of judgment and man-management. Obviously not excusable as he's earning the wages of what should be reserved for the best managers in the world.

Can't get much worse. A little positivity and an actual plan on how to attack sides and performances should be enough to tide us over till the new coach and hopefully a dof are put in place. So long as jose is gone I could live with Mike Bassett as caretaker

Can't get much worse. A little positivity and an actual plan on how to attack sides and performances should be enough to tide us over till the new coach and hopefully a dof are put in place. So long as jose is gone I could live with Mike Bassett as caretaker
:lol:

What is the worst Carrick can do ?

a) play players out of position
b) constantly swap defenders
c) hang them out in the press
d) make everyone look lethargic and lacklustre
e) alienate players
f) blame everyone but himself
g) play 3 central midfielders who doesn't understand what putting pressure on the opponent is about

Status
Not open for further replies.