The MMA thread

Managed to catch up on this yesterday (and avoid spoilers til then as well)

Great card, glad TJ and Rose won (Rose in particular a massive shock) pretty gutted for Bisping to be honest I know he's not popular for holding up divisions etc but I was hoping he'd win this one.

I'd imagine Joanna gets a rematch which is fair enough she was a dominant champion, don't know how Cody was asking for a rematch in the presser though he was off for a year and never defended the belt, should have to work his way back up. Just typical entitled bullshit from TAM people I think.

Cody sat there with a straight face and said he's the better fighter and the best in the world. Then he cried.

Cody sat there with a straight face and said he's the better fighter and the best in the world. Then he cried.

Having confidence in himself is fine, most top fighters (which Cody is) will think they're the best in the world, the fact he said he thought he deserved a rematch is odd to me. Rockhold did the same after Bisping and they never even defended the belt. Aldo deserved an immediate rematch, Joanna does as well but like TJ said Cody has to work his way back up now like he had to. TJ arguably beat Cruz and after he lost it he fought 2 of the best fighters in the division to get his shot. Cody got KOed in his first defence.

The thing with Cody is he may not get another title shot for some time since Cruz and possibly Rivera will want a title shot as well, and TJ may also fight MightyMouse.

Having confidence in himself is fine, most top fighters (which Cody is) will think they're the best in the world, the fact he said he thought he deserved a rematch is odd to me. Rockhold did the same after Bisping and they never even defended the belt. Aldo deserved an immediate rematch, Joanna does as well but like TJ said Cody has to work his way back up now like he had to. TJ arguably beat Cruz and after he lost it he fought 2 of the best fighters in the division to get his shot. Cody got KOed in his first defence.

Winner of Cruz/Rivera next month is surely in with a shout at the next shot. The issue is another division is likely getting held up for a while now though as Dillashaw will fight Mighty Mouse next I'd imagine based on both wanting that fight and Dana wanting to book it. Maybe we see the winner of Cruz/Rivera fight Cody in the meantime.

The thing with Cody is he may not get another title shot for some time since Cruz and possibly Rivera will want a title shot as well, and TJ may also fight MightyMouse.

Winner of Cruz/Rivera next month is surely in with a shout at the next shot. The issue is another division is likely getting held up for a while now though as Dillashaw will fight Mighty Mouse next I'd imagine based on both wanting that fight and Dana wanting to book it. Maybe we see the winner of Cruz/Rivera fight Cody in the meantime.

Yeah I agree I think he will be waiting a while. Although I imagine they may be keen to book Cody vs. TJ again for the whole drama of it all really. I don't think any of the other fighters in the division beat either of them anyway so it will be inevitable they fight again for me.

Yeah I agree I think he will be waiting a while. Although I imagine they may be keen to book Cody vs. TJ again for the whole drama of it all really. I don't think any of the other fighters in the division beat either of them anyway so it will be inevitable they fight again for me.

Cruz can beat either IMO if healthy (has beaten Dillashaw already of course). I think those top three on their day could easily trade wins with each other, all fight at a very high quality at their best.

Completely agree they will fight again, will always be explosive between the two so I'm happy to see it again down the line.

I'm not sure some of you understand the fight game.

Practically anyone can knock out anyone. It's all about timing and precision. Yes, some people are more durable than others, but to brand someone as having a suspect chin is a bit silly, especially when they were the undefeated champ.

Cruz can beat either IMO if healthy (has beaten Dillashaw already of course). I think those top three on their day could easily trade wins with each other, all fight at a very high quality at their best.

Completely agree they will fight again, will always be explosive between the two so I'm happy to see it again down the line.

Cruz is definitely the most likely I'd agree he could beat either of them on his day. I just think with age/past injuries catching up that I'd think TJ and Cody would be favourite against him and I'd back them both to beat him. I think Cruz beats Rivera at 219 and it is a pretty clear Top 3 in that division but I personally have Cruz as 3 now behind them 2.

Card for this Saturday ain’t half bad either

Although quite a few past their sell by date here are some potentially great fights

Fight cardEdit
Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
Weight class
Method Round Time Notes
Lightweight Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis
Welterweight Matt Brown vs. Diego Sanchez
Heavyweight Andrei Arlovski vs. Júnior Albini
Middleweight Nate Marquardt vs. Cezar Ferreira
Bantamweight Raphael Assunção vs. Matthew Lopez
Lightweight Joe Lauzon vs. Clay Guida
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
Bantamweight John Dodson vs. Marlon Moraes
Women's Strawweight Tatiana Suarez vs. Viviane Pereira
Lightweight Sage Northcutt vs. Michel Quiñones
Women's Strawweight Angela Hill vs. Nina Ansaroff
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Welterweight Court McGee vs. Sean Strickland
Light Heavyweight Jake Collier vs. Marcel Fortuna
Middleweight Darren Stewart vs

I think Till loses. HE did well vs. Cerrone but I think Wonderboy is on another level. It's a good test for him though in fairness. Like was said when he beat Cerrone he does have a hell of a lot of potential though. I still can't shake the fact he reminds me so much of Tony Bellew though and it makes me struggle to like him as a person.

Don't know a lot about Till tbh, I hadn't heard of him prior to Cerrone fight. He looked awesome in tha t fight, huge for that weight class. Be interesting to see him move up in level and fight wonder boy. Like the fact that Till went to brazil to learn his trade if you will. There's obviously a lot more to his game than just stand up. Be keen to see it

Great opportunity and risk for Till if he takes it, he doesn't seem like he's short of any confidence in his own striking and ability, but i'd have thought they'd want to move him a bit more slowly, let him build up some more of a streak, beating the likes of Perry, and Covington

It seems it was all just wishful thinking. Wonderdad has said they have not interest in a fight with Till, and rightly so. Wonderboy should ideally be fighting only top 5 opponents.

Gunnar Nelson is popular in Europe right? Maybe he can go and headline the Uk card with Till... Covington would be a good one too.

Jose Aldo fights the same night... they will probably do the rematch?

Cub Swanson is also fighting a week later. I think he is the more logical replacement... we'll see.

Great opportunity and risk for Till if he takes it, he doesn't seem like he's short of any confidence in his own striking and ability, but i'd have thought they'd want to move him a bit more slowly, let him build up some more of a streak, beating the likes of Perry, and Covington
I think all of the risk is on Wonderboy there. An extremely dangerous up-and-comer who could leap up the rankings off the back of a win - the same win that would dump Wonderboy way down in the division and remove him from the title shot rematch that Dana doesn't want.

Stylistically, it's a bad fight for Wonderboy more than Till, imo. Thai vs. Karate is a classic contest with strengths and weaknesses on both sides. There's also the kickboxing that both do, but the much better hands of Till (boxing) and BJJ give him so many more weapons to switch to. It's not often Wonderboy fights anyone in UFC with a clue what to do to contain his style - it wouldn't be the same with Till as it's a world he's familiar with.

I'd think everyone with a lot to lose will avoid Till like the plague and it will take a mammoth effort for him to short-cut the division. He's going to have to grind or smack talk his way into a big fight before time, imo.

Thing is could you imagine the marketing storm behind Til if he beat Wonderboy. It would launch him straight in to a title fight against Woodly. I would imagine because of the way he got there it would sell as well as that is what the UFC is about now. Money over the right fights.

looking at the rankings, Aldo easily makes the most sense to save the event.

Shame really, was very much looking forward to that fight

Thing is could you imagine the marketing storm behind Til if he beat Wonderboy. It would launch him straight in to a title fight against Woodly. I would imagine because of the way he got there it would sell as well as that is what the UFC is about now. Money over the right fights.

Lawler has Dos Anjos on Dec 16th, winner of that gets next shot at Woodley as per Dana White.
Welterweight needs some new challengers, some of those in the top 10 aren't on great runs. Masvidal lost 2 in a row, Conduit 2 in a row, Cerrone 3 in a row, Maia 2 in a row. Till maybe get another 1 -2 fights against quality opponents and if he wins them he get a title shot, nothing wrong with that .Dos Anjos is only having his 3rd fight at welterweight and if he wins gets a title shot. Lawler was out for a yr and beat Cerrone on points in his comeback, if he wins gets a title shot. Dos Anjos is in a title eliminator after beating Magny (lost 2 of last 3 fights) and Saffiedine (lost 4 of his last 5 fights). Welterweight is a tough weight class, a lot of fighters have losses, which on any day they could reverse in a re-match.If Till and this would be highly impressive if he did, had wins over Cerrone, Wonderboy, and 1 other top 3 fighter, he'd probably deserve a title shot. Till has a tough fight next, this may give us a better indication of his place in the weight class. He's no longer an unknown quantity, and Wonderboy is a step up.

looking at the rankings, Aldo easily makes the most sense to save the event.

Shame really, was very much looking forward to that fight

Probably, they just did fight though so not sure if there's any desire to do it again any time soon. It's a pretty shallow division at the moment though with no one there who could fill in and Aldo is scheduled to fight 2 weeks before. THe only other alternative is Cub but the Holloway fight with CUb was more 1 sided. At least Aldo was doing alright in his fight before getting knocked down

Lawler has Dos Anjos on Dec 16th, winner of that gets next shot at Woodley as per Dana White.
Welterweight needs some new challengers, some of those in the top 10 aren't on great runs. Masvidal lost 2 in a row, Conduit 2 in a row, Cerrone 3 in a row, Maia 2 in a row. Till maybe get another 1 -2 fights against quality opponents and if he wins them he get a title shot, nothing wrong with that .Dos Anjos is only having his 3rd fight at welterweight and if he wins gets a title shot. Lawler was out for a yr and beat Cerrone on points in his comeback, if he wins gets a title shot. Dos Anjos is in a title eliminator after beating Magny (lost 2 of last 3 fights) and Saffiedine (lost 4 of his last 5 fights). Welterweight is a tough weight class, a lot of fighters have losses, which on any day they could reverse in a re-match.If Till and this would be highly impressive if he did, had wins over Cerrone, Wonderboy, and 1 other top 3 fighter, he'd probably deserve a title shot. Till has a tough fight next, this may give us a better indication of his place in the weight class. He's no longer an unknown quantity, and Wonderboy is a step up.

That's where the whole thing falls apart. Dana will go wherever the money is. Till has potential to be a bigger draw than both RDA and Lawler. GSP was meant to fight Bisping then Woodley then ended up fighting Bisping again, anything Dana says is taken with a pinch of salt until it actually happens.

I don't know why people listen to Dana. Everything he says needs to be taken with a shovel of salt :lol:

Probably, they just did fight though so not sure if there's any desire to do it again any time soon. It's a pretty shallow division at the moment though with no one there who could fill in and Aldo is scheduled to fight 2 weeks before. THe only other alternative is Cub but the Holloway fight with CUb was more 1 sided. At least Aldo was doing alright in his fight before getting knocked down

That's where the whole thing falls apart. Dana will go wherever the money is. Till has potential to be a bigger draw than both RDA and Lawler. GSP was meant to fight Bisping then Woodley then ended up fighting Bisping again, anything Dana says is taken with a pinch of salt until it actually happens.

of course he can flip flop, and let's be honest, if GSP fancies fighting again and coming back to WW, he gets first crack at it, regardless of what Dana says about him being under contract to defend his MW title.Till's next fight will give us a true look at him. I love Cerrone, but he's a blown up lightweight who I think criminally underestimated Till, regardless of what he said post fight

I don't view Edgar not being on the card as somehow equating to the event needing to be saved. The main fight was pretty lackluster to begin with so maybe giving Aldo a rematch would be spice things up a bit. But the other fights are still pretty damn good, especially the Reem v Ngannou fight.

of course he can flip flop, and let's be honest, if GSP fancies fighting again and coming back to WW, he gets first crack at it, regardless of what Dana says about him being under contract to defend his MW title.Till's next fight will give us a true look at him. I love Cerrone, but he's a blown up lightweight who I think criminally underestimated Till, regardless of what he said post fight

yeah, i thought he was gonna put more of a challenge but his head is clearly in drinking beer, having fun, acting career, etc. Nothing wrong with that but now he is not good enough even as a gate keeper.

I think Till will fight Nelson next, or the winner of Ponzinibbio/Perry.

I don't view Edgar not being on the card as somehow equating to the event needing to be saved. The main fight was pretty lackluster to begin with so maybe giving Aldo a rematch would be spice things up a bit. But the other fights are still pretty damn good, especially the Reem v Ngannou fight.

The Reem gonna get murdered.

Gaethje/Alvarez, Cejudo, Pettis, yeah some nice fights overall. After 217 everything gonna feel a bit underwhelming for a while.

I don’t know if I can be bothered watching Aldo get stomped again but he has been doing a lot of boxing training so it might be intresting. Although I think I;d rather see a wildcard Yair Rodriguez vs Max or even if Max was to maybe go up a division or someone come down. Because outwith that there isn’t really anything innthat División for him.

I don’t know if I can be bothered watching Aldo get stomped again but he has been doing a lot of boxing training so it might be intresting. Although I think I;d rather see a wildcard Yair Rodriguez vs Max or even if Max was to maybe go up a division or someone come down. Because outwith that there isn’t really anything innthat División for him.

Rodriguez just got clobbered by Edgar. He's clearly not ready for the big time.

Aldo - Holloway would be a best case scenario since Aldo will want revenge and did fight very well against Edgar after his loss to Conor.

Or whichever year he develops a ground game....

His ground game is not that bad to be fair. He usually looks comfortable with his back to the ground or getting people to the ground.

He was unlucky Edgar put the right shot in his eye, but he never stopped pulling submission attacks. He almost got Frankie a couple times. I was looking forward the 3rd round...

But even if he is not top level, after fighting the best wrestler of the division, he now knows the level required. I'm sure he will come back a beast.

Rodriguez just got clobbered by Edgar. He's clearly not ready for the big time.

Aldo - Holloway would be a best case scenario since Aldo will want revenge and did fight very well against Edgar after his loss to Conor.
Why mention yair getting clobbered then mention Aldo who was sparked by Max, with little to no effort. Yair is arguably the most dynamic striker after Holloway in the division and one of the only people Max hasn’t already beaten. I also don’t think Aldo would take a fight on late notice due to having so much trouble making the weight.

Personally I’d rather not watch an Aldo vs Max re-run and sorry to say but I think Aldo has run his course.