The MMA thread

It really was one of the all time great cards from top to bottom. How about all 3 title challengers winning. That can't have happened before.

He might be my favourite ever. Can't think of many with more talent for the sport of MMA other than probably Anderson Silva. Ridiculous athlete.
With Jon Jones popping for steroids on numerous occasions I'm putting GSP as the greatest of all time on my list. His legacy is untouched!

I think the cup problem was bothering Bisping. He seemed a bit tentative for much of the 3rd round.

Can't believe Bisping got caught like that. Guess it was always going ot be a crazy night. Nice to see both guys respectful when they're normal.

Insane finish. I love the man.

Incredibly intelligent to trap him into the choke like he said. Came from nowhere.

I don''t recall GSP's stand up being this good prior to his retirement. He must've really put a lot of work in.

Kinda wish Bisping would have left his gloves in the middle of the cage there. Not a bad way to go out, losing to the greatest of all time, in a competitive fight, on one of the greatest cards of all time. Not like there's else anything left for him.

Wow did not see that happening. Fair play to GSP. Classy interviews by both at the end. I don't see him staying at 185. When GSP fights aggressive, there ain't much better.

From the way GSP was talking it didn't sound like he was planning on sticking at middleweight. Hope he does though because I really wouldn't mind seeing GSP vs Whittaker.

Kinda wish Bisping would have left his gloves in the middle of the cage there. Not a bad way to go out, losing to the greatest of all time, in a competitive fight, on one of the greatest cards of all time. Not like there's else anything left for him.

As things stand, he may have to fight Rockhold again if he opts to keep going since GSP will be fighting Whitaker.

I don''t recall GSP's stand up being this good prior to his retirement. He must've really put a lot of work in.
Years ago it was. But as his title defenses kept coming the more he went for wrestling than stand up

Also Freddie Roach clearly had a huge influence

Bisping is a legend, very classy after the fight. Glad he's not retiring yet, although he probably should've tbh.

Bisping is a warrior. I think he was still caught up in the emotions post fight. I don't see him fighting again to be honest.

Amazing amazing night. 5am and not even tired. Just pumped after that

This. I finished a 4pm till midnight shift today just to then rush home to watch this card from 1:30 onwards. I'm ready for tomorrow's shift already with all this adrenaline.

Conor vs GSP next?

What a night of fights. One of the best in recent times.

Specially happy for TJ and Vick.

Not a chance in my eyes. Can't see Conor going up to GSP's natural weight - he wouldn't cope.

Bisping is a legend, very classy after the fight. Glad he's not retiring yet, although he probably should've tbh.
The thing is, how can they stop and still earn as much as what they're used to? Doubt that most have been planning for post-retirement or have fallback options after their fighting careers end.

The thing is, how can they stop and still earn as much as what they're used to? Doubt that most have been planning for post-retirement or have fallback options after their fighting careers end.
He'd keep doing punditry I imagine which will keep a tidy sum coming in. Think he has his own blog or podcast too.

That's definitely the case for a lot of fighters but the likes of Bisping will be fine. He does analyst work amongst other things and he's already earned a good few million anyway.

Probably, although that's the ultimate money fight.

GSP has a hard choice between Whittaker and Woodley, both would be favourites for me.

He's under contract to fight Whitaker next. Can't see him going back down to WW at this point since he's added a fair bit of muscle mass since his last stint.

You have to love Rose. Great press conference she's giving. Hope she can hold on to the belt for a while.

Edit: Dana says PPV did way over 1 million buys. Apparently they 'absolutely destroyed it'. Impressive.

Last edited:
DC butchering the Rose call.
If youre struggling to think of something to say then say nothing.
Other than that, great card. TJ had to get lucky to win imo, Cody is a bad matc up for his usual arsenal so had to play to Codys strengths for a power shot he's not known for.
Cody will come out on top over the long run but feck me if I ever have to listen to TAM cry over TJ again.

Last edited:
Not read the comments yet so just putting my thoughts out there:

- Great card all round.

- Wonderboy is in the void now, really. Nowhere for him to go as Dana is not going to rush to give him another title fight. He's clearly a cut above everyone else in the division apart from Woodley, so it's going to be a very odd period for him now as he'll be given a fight or two that isn't Woodley, which will essentially waste his 2018. He also purportedly broke his thumb, so by the time that heals and he has his fights, we're looking at 2019 for his next title shot unless Woodley loses the belt in the interim.

- Great for Namajunas; kept her class and composure throughout the entire build-up and then put Joanna to the sword, and then carried herself like a champion. Well deserved win, too.

- Wonder if Joanna will learn some humility and not act like she has been from this point forward. I think she underestimated her opponent's standup and paid the price for it.

- Very close fight between Cody and T.J. If they fought again, it could easily swing the other way. The kick that essentially wrapped up the fight was a peach, but I thought Garbrandt got a little complacent before that as he had the measure of T.J in the pocket and T.J couldn't land anything without getting a worse barrage back.

- GSP was class, but he cannot stay at 185. He gassed in the second round and better fighters than Bisping will overwork him in deeper rounds. Apart from that, he looked great out there, and to do that after 4yrs out is one of the greatest feats the UFC has or will see.

- GSP can't stay at that weight, imo, but for him to get back down to 170 properly is going to take months. At his age, he doesn't have time on his side to do that whilst going on to then potentially fight someone as fast and explosive as Woodley. It will be something else if he can lose that weight, fight Woodley and actually win that fight.

- all three champions lost their belts!

Holy shit Thug Rose! You knew when she showed up on TUF all those years back that this girl had something special and could be a future champion. Unbelievable performance, I fecking love her man.

I really like Bisping but let's be real, the entire time I was watching that fight all I could think about was how most of the top guys in this division would beat either of them. GSP would have been taken out inside a round or two by somebody like Rockhold. I'm seeing people saying GSP's standup looked good etc which is strange, I thought he looked bang average on the night. I don't get why Bisping didn't push the pace more when GSP really tired, instead he fought on the back foot at times. Rockhold, Whittaker etc would have been on him not giving him a second to breathe. This was the perfect comeback fight for GSP because it was a winnable one. Fighting is fighting though, sometimes you have to put all that to one side and just enjoy the show, great build up and a really good fight.

Card lived up to the hype man. Three new champions, two crazy moments in the Rose and Dillashaw fights. Really awesome night of fights.

I failed a steroid test just watching him on TV.
Glad I'm not the only one thinking that. Another Belfort in more ways than one, it seems.

??? It's always been that good. Did say before the fight that it was a question of how much like his old self his hands were to how superior he would be in stand-up to Bisping.

The overhand right, used as it was, seems to be an addition, though, but might be opponent specific.

Probably, although that's the ultimate money fight.

GSP has a hard choice between Whittaker and Woodley, both would be favourites for me.
Both would beat him. Whittaker would send him back into retirement however...

What a great card! Left away thinking if Bisping held out and got the fight in the later rounds he would have won. Round 2 was his round and GSP was gassing. GSP looked massive and his striking has definitely improved.

Don’t know what it is about Rose but I just had a feeling she would do something. Thought it would be a submission but she is just kinda a wildcard. Ever since she landed that arm bar on JoJo she’s just capable of doing the unexpected.
I kinda hope Joanna decides to take a break or something so it opens up the division because I’d imagine Andrade, Claudia(although on a break) and Karolina who has already beaten Rose would fancy their chances at stomping her.

Shame for Bisping that, he picked it up in round 2 as GSP slowed down, and he was butchering GSP from bottom in the 3rd round (this was bizarre, has GSP ever had trouble in someone's guard before?). Then he got caught when it seemed like he had the momentum.

So many positives for the UFC to carry from it too. GSP back after headlining such a successful card, a TJ v DJ superfight potentially on the horizon, Borrachinha continuing at pace and a new champion in Rose who seems very marketable to my mind.