Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

padr81

Supports
Man City
So I just saw this video...

Apparently Amazon set this up to undo some of the backlash(?) from last week... Seems to have landed about as well as PCP junkie jumping off the roof of a three story building to escape the cops. I mean, who in the world though bringing in influencers instead of actual fans of Tolkiens work to react to the trailer was a good idea?
Total superfans, that one guy loved it when Freddy, Sam and Ole brought the ring to Morcambe

Godfather

Total superfans, that one guy loved it when Freddy, Sam and Ole brought the ring to Morcambe
I'm such a huge fan... Why did they make the rings of power again?

I don't know what these people working for marketing at Amazon smoked when they thought this was going to be a good idea.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So I just saw this video...

Apparently Amazon set this up to undo some of the backlash(?) from last week... Seems to have landed about as well as PCP junkie jumping off the roof of a three story building to escape the cops. I mean, who in the world though bringing in influencers instead of actual fans of Tolkiens work to react to the trailer was a good idea?
It's annoying that YouTube got rid of the Dislike counter but 75k views for that video and only 173 Likes pretty much tells you everything.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
FFS I could do a better job as a "superfan" and still have the same message that Amazon wanted to put out.

"Tolkien reflected the society and world he had personally experienced when he created Middle Earth, and as a private production Amazon have reflected the society and world that we live in by having a cast that isn't just a bunch of white people. That might annoy you but if we didn't modernise any stories then cinema would just be exact copies of the Epic of Gilgamesh, set in ancient Mesopotamia and starring purely Middle Eastern actors, over and over because literally any story that is about the pitfalls of power (which is, what, 60% of movies?) is an adaptation of that. So quit your bitching, cnuts.

Also Amazon have given the elves giant tits because I like giant tits so that's two thumbs up from me, overall."

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'm such a huge fan... Why did they make the rings of power again?

I don't know what these people working for marketing at Amazon smoked when they thought this was going to be a good idea.
Shocking, I mean there are tons of fantasy literature youtubers they could have went for if they wanted to do something like this. Men of the West, Nerd of the Rings etc.. they might not have millions of followers but it would have made sense.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Shocking, I mean there are tons of fantasy literature youtubers they could have went for if they wanted to do something like this. Men of the West, Nerd of the Rings etc.. they might not have millions of followers but it would have made sense.
Yeah: The Broken Sword, In Deep Geek...these folks have become a default for relaxing viewing.

Safe to say Amazon missed the mark here…

Last edited:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It began with the forging of the Great Films. Rights were given to Peter Jackson. Immortal, wisest, and fairest of all beings.

But we were all of us deceived, for another adaption was made.

In the land of Amazon, in the fires of Mount Woke, the Dark Lord Bezos created in secret a disaster series, to taint all others.

And into this series he poured his money, his greed and his will to dominate existing franchises with political pandering. One series to ruin them all!

One by one, many great franchises had fallen to the power of the woke…

But there were some who resisted. A Last Alliance of Tolkien fans protested against the Amazon series, and in the comments section of social media, they fought for lore of Middle-earth!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
See below:

I keep seeing the complaint that Galadriel's character is being changed into a "strong female character" or "warrior princess". This is actually how she is originally described in the Unfinished Tales.

I'll let Tolkien speak for himself:

""Galadriel was greatest of the Noldor, except Feanor maybe, though she was wiser than he"

"Her mother-name was Nerwen (man-maiden), and she grew to be tall beyond the measure even of the women of the Noldor; she was strong of body, mind, and will, a match for both the loremasters and the athletes of the Eldar in the days of their youth."

"she fought fiercely against Feanor in defence of her mothers kin"

"she looked upon the dwarves also with the eye of a commander, seeing in them the finest warriors to pit against the Orcs."

"[Sauron] perceived at once that Galadriel would be his chief adversary and obstacle"

After refusing pardon for her part in the rebellion against the Valar: "it was not until the two long ages more had passed, when at last all that she had desired in her youth came to her hand, the Ring of Power and the dominion of Middle-earth of which she had dreamed, that her wisdom was full grown and she rejected it, and passing the last test departed from Middle-earth for ever."

Young Galadriel, according to Tolkien, is angry, prideful, highly athletic and wise, thinks like a commander, is always suspicious of the return of evil, perceives and threatens the evil plans of Sauron, and has an unfulfilled desire for "the dominion of Middle-earth". This is the kind of character I am seeing from TROP.
Tolkien Contradicted himself quite a lot. Like who was stronger between Feanor and Fingolfin. Still Galadriel was something special. She wasn't noldor though was she? Nolton are dark haired. She's of the other type of elves who are blonde

Edit: my bad she is noldor.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It began with the forging of the Great Films. Rights were given to Peter Jackson. Immortal, wisest, and fairest of all beings.

In the land of Amazon, in the fires of Mount Woke, the Dark Lord Bezos created in secret a disaster series, to taint all others.

And into this series he poured his money, his greed and his will to dominate existing franchises with political pandering. One series to ruin them all!

But there were some who resisted. A Last Alliance of Tolkien fans protested against the Amazon series, and in the comments section of social media, they fought for lore of Middle-earth!
:lol:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Wheel of Time dulled my enthusiasm for this. But maybe going in with lowered expectations will be a positive in the end…
One of the biggest issues I had with Wheel of Time was how poor the sets were. Poor in the sense that they were obviously sets. There was a complete lack of dirt and grime, of any detritus of normal living. They looked like they had been laid down that afternoon. It really destroyed the authenticity of the environments for me and I felt like I was watching a play. That and it just wasn't very good. I really hope they don't make this mistake again.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Bezos is such a big LOTR fan and personally got involved in negotiations (something I'm pretty sure he's never done for a prime exclusive unless I am corrected?) that it's no surprise they have been greenlit for 5 seasons. There are even rumours that if it's a success that they are already planning a spin-off.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

:lol:

Bebe

Brilliant :lol:

diarm

One of the biggest issues I had with Wheel of Time was how poor the sets were. Poor in the sense that they were obviously sets. There was a complete lack of dirt and grime, of any detritus of normal living. They looked like they had been laid down that afternoon. It really destroyed the authenticity of the environments for me and I felt like I was watching a play. That and it just wasn't very good. I really hope they don't make this mistake again.
I remember saying similar at the time, not just about the sets, but the actors as well - who all came out of battles or long journeys on horseback looking like they'd spent an hour in a makeup tent with Gok Wan.

Someone on here gave out to me and said I didn't know what I was talking about because people were surprisingly clean in the old days.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I remember saying similar at the time, not just about the sets, but the actors as well - who all came out of battles or long journeys on horseback looking like they'd spent an hour in a makeup tent with Gok Wan.

Someone on here gave out to me and said I didn't know what I was talking about because people were surprisingly clean in the old days.
You are bang on. It was infuriating. From the ironed clothes to the pristine streets that were cleaner than the inside of an obsessive compulsive‘s house. Absurd. Completely ruined it.

It was honestly such an atrocious oversight, that I couldn’t believe it got through quality control, or the dailies, with executives and producers, and they let a whole season get made like that. Just ridiculous, amateurish production.

Blood Mage

They really should just leave LOTR alone at this point and adapt something else. I don't think anybody could actually better the job that Peter Jackson did in adapting the books, those films were almost perfect.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They really should just leave LOTR alone at this point and adapt something else. I don't think anybody could actually better the job that Peter Jackson did in adapting the books, those films were almost perfect.
Well tbf a series presumably means they can fit in all the meandering filler that Jackson cut out like "How To Make a Rabbit Stew" or Tom Bumbaclart or whatever.

Spielmacher

It's annoying that YouTube got rid of the Dislike counter but 75k views for that video and only 173 Likes pretty much tells you everything.
In case you're using Google Chrome, there's a browser extension that will display the dislikes. HERE
They didn't remove the dislikes from the page, just don't display them anymore. Same with the upload date for some videos, also fixed.

In case you're not using Chrome or don't want to install the extension:

Jotun

Why does Celebrimbor look like an old ugly dude and Galadriel looks like a teenage girl?

One thing that the movies did brilliantly was casting and makeup. Elves really appeared to have an aura and looked like timeless creatures.

Here they look just like humans with pointy ears.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Why does Celebrimbor look like an old ugly dude and Galadriel looks like a teenage girl?

One thing that the movies did brilliantly was casting and makeup. Elves really appeared to have an aura and looked like timeless creatures.

There’s no replacement for Cate Blanchett’s face, to be fair.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Celebrimbor is perhaps a little older than I imagined. But then Weaving was 40 years old when he played Elrond.

Morfydd Clark looks fantastic though in this. She'll do a very good job portraying Galadriel. It's interesting that so far they've really given very little away from these teasers. The CGI on the troll looks far better too, the texture work on the head looks top notch.

Bobski

There’s no replacement for Cate Blanchett’s face, to be fair.
Or voice. You know, as a silly kid I didn't think Cate Blanchett was all that attractive, now my foolishness is obvious.

Amazon WOT is awful. The sets, clothing, and aesthetics are all just minor parts of a really shit cake. Butchered the central premise of the story, made a catastrophic hash of the magic system and world building with every place the same bland clean shininess populated by the same mixture of people, making the world seem incredibly small , turned the DR into some silly prize when it should be a matter of horror, and there should be far more discussion around how and why they shat on pretty much every male character. Bar Logain, who will probably just end up being a self insert for the show runner.

Amarsdd

It depends on the perspective of the person/people from which the story is being told. The hobbit and LOTR books are supposed to be based on a book that the hobbits wrote recording the events of the Hobbit and LOTR called The Red Book of Westmarch (within the fiction). So from the hobbit’s perspective, elves will look almost other worldly.
Whereas, this story that the Rings of Power series is covering (the second age) should be mostly from the perspective of the elves themselves and the Numenorians who are also almost elvish-like. So, I see why you want the elves to not look too other worldly. And also telling a story where everyone looks ethereal like the elves in the LOTR movies would look weird.
(This without evening talking about the liberties PJ took about the looks of elves in his movies if you are considering the actual lore)