Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Amarsdd

Possibly foreshadowing... the fall of Numenor. Looks like a shot underwater with bodies sinking too me. You can see like ripples at the very top where the surface is.
Yeah, that also makes sense. The shot being underwater and stuff buring on the surface is what made me think of the first kinslaying

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ok that has me actually getting excited for this. Such potential…

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Looks fantastic and Lord of the Rings are probably my favorite movies ever, so this will have me signing up for Amazon Prime, even though I’d rather not.

AaronRedDevil

Yeah I'm still not excited to see it. Just a bad feeling for this show. I hope im wrong. Its the final thing I like that hasn't been ruined for me yet.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah I'm still not excited to see it. Just a bad feeling for this show. I hope im wrong. Its the final thing I like that hasn't been ruined for me yet.
None of us know the quality of writing, they've teased us with their breakdowns of how they wanted to do dialogue in the show but until it airs we won't know the quality of writing so ultimately none of us really know if it's going to be good or bad.

But the visuals, music, design and characters look very good so far. I didn't like Cynthia Addai-Robinson acting in Spartacus, she struggled to portray Naevia, but that was a difficult character to pull off. Morfydd Clark is a top actress though, she'll nail Galadriel, she's got very good range. We'll see on how the casting turns out. I imagine a lot of people will prefer to watch this than put themselves through another GoT show after the disappointment of Season 8. Both shows release pretty much at the same time.

Gut tells me this is going to be a massive hit. It's striking the same beats as the Jackson films for me.

Zen86

I don't get all the misery around this. It looks very high production and I'm confident they won't half-arse their way through considering it's intention to be Prime's flagship series.

It won't top the main trilogy, that's a given. And yet it won't be anywhere near as bad as the Hobbit.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I have no option but to anticipate it with actual expectations. It's Tolkien and it should be done in certain mood and tone of storytelling. No excuses.

Had mixed feelings after Witcher and WoT, but this should be different by default as it's still to this day unique piece of art.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I just don't think I will be a fan. Cartoony dwarves again as well.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
None of us know the quality of writing, they've teased us with their breakdowns of how they wanted to do dialogue in the show but until it airs we won't know the quality of writing so ultimately none of us really know if it's going to be good or bad.

But the visuals, music, design and characters look very good so far. I didn't like Cynthia Addai-Robinson acting in Spartacus, she struggled to portray Naevia, but that was a difficult character to pull off. Morfydd Clark is a top actress though, she'll nail Galadriel, she's got very good range. We'll see on how the casting turns out. I imagine a lot of people will prefer to watch this than put themselves through another GoT show after the disappointment of Season 8. Both shows release pretty much at the same time.

Gut tells me this is going to be a massive hit. It's striking the same beats as the Jackson films for me.
I have no idea if she's a good actress or not, I haven't seen her in anything. But she's already come out spouting a lot of shit about the character and its nothing if not consistent with the level of dog shit said about characters in the wheel of time. This "She's a younger more inexperienced Galadriel" and "don't expect the same Galadriel" shit just smacks of "for a modern audience" nonsense. Remember that Galadriel is 3000 years old at this point. So what exactly is this "young and inexperienced" nonsense about?

Patrick McKay and John Payne come from the bad robot school of film making. So we can expect deconstruction, subversion and a mystery box that goes nowhere to round it off. Ill be shocked if the show isn't forgettable dreck.

Amarsdd

I have no idea if she's a good actress or not, I haven't seen her in anything. But she's already come out spouting a lot of shit about the character and its nothing if not consistent with the level of dog shit said about characters in the wheel of time. This "She's a younger more inexperienced Galadriel" and "don't expect the same Galadriel" shit just smacks of "for a modern audience" nonsense. Remember that Galadriel is 3000 years old at this point. So what exactly is this "young and inexperienced" nonsense about?

Patrick McKay and John Payne come from the bad robot school of film making. So we can expect deconstruction, subversion and a mystery box that goes nowhere to round it off. Ill be shocked if the show isn't forgettable dreck.
Galadriel of the second age is not the same Galadriel of the third age. She is meant to be "young and inexperienced", more proud and immature in comparison to the third age Galadriel (there are a few quotes from Tolkien himself and also in probably Unfinished tales and Nature of the Middle Earth regarding this but I can't find them right now). And the age the actress is supposed to be portraying is quite accurate according to the lore.

)_(

I don't think most of the general audience will really care about the ending of season 8 when they consider tuning in, mostly it will be the angry stans who might not watch. In general HOTD has received more attention online but there's space for both of them to exist. They both have a totally different look and feel to them as well a completely different kind of story so they will scratch different itches. Plenty of time in my schedule to watch both.

I've never been as harsh or nitpicky as some people but I do think this is looking much better. I'm still not huge on the inclusion of proto-hobbits. My one worry is that they're trying to do too much considering there's 10 episodes and we've seen so many different groups of people and characters. There's some really amazing shots in there, some less so but overall a good feeling, I don't see a reason to not tune in.

https://ew.com/tv/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-numenor-first-look/ Some images and info here, some more articles on the show below this one.

Amarsdd

I don't think most of the general audience will really care about the ending of season 8 when they consider tuning in, mostly it will be the angry stans who might not watch. In general HOTD has received more attention online but there's space for both of them to exist. They both have a totally different look and feel to them as well a completely different kind of story so they will scratch different itches. Plenty of time in my schedule to watch both.

I've never been as harsh or nitpicky as some people but I do think this is looking much better. I'm still not huge on the inclusion of proto-hobbits. My one worry is that they're trying to do too much considering there's 10 episodes and we've seen so many different groups of people and characters. There's some really amazing shots in there, some less so but overall a good feeling, I don't see a reason to not tune in.

https://ew.com/tv/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-numenor-first-look/ Some images and info here, some more articles on the show below this one.
The Harfoots and what they are planning to do with them in the series is probably my biggest concern really.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

8 episodes in season 1. Ep1 and 2 are feature length and will combine to 3 hours. It's going to be like 9-10 hours long, which will be more or less the same length as Jacksons extended editions. They signed a contract for 5 seasons, 50 hours worth of content. It does seem like a lot of characters initially, i'm very happy that they're throwing us in the deep end with everything though and the races are distinctive enough that I don't think it will be too confusing.

The Harfoots and Meteor Man seem to be a sub plot for Season 1. Who the Meteor Man is will be the big question as that will probably dictate whether it works or not. I like the concept that they're a roaming race and my impression on the trailer is they don't like people seeing them. Which makes them more of a folk lore to the common man I guess. That's the big mystery for me because Meteor Man could be several people and they're keeping very quiet on who he is.

Norman Brownbutter

Galadriel of the second age is not the same Galadriel of the third age. She is meant to be "young and inexperienced", more proud and immature in comparison to the third age Galadriel (there are a few quotes from Tolkien himself and also in probably Unfinished tales and Nature of the Middle Earth regarding this but I can't find them right now). And the age the actress is supposed to be portraying is quite accurate according to the lore.
I have no idea why you posted any of that, mate. As it appears to be talking about what the character should "look" like. If youre inexperienced at 3000 years old, youre doing something wrong in your life.

Amarsdd

I have no idea why you posted any of that, mate. As it appears to be talking about what the character should "look" like. If youre inexperienced at 3000 years old, youre doing something wrong in your life.
Probably should take that up to Tolkien and tell him if the Elves are thousands of years old they should all act like grand parents.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I have no option but to anticipate it with actual expectations. It's Tolkien and it should be done in certain mood and tone of storytelling. No excuses.

Had mixed feelings after Witcher and WoT, but this should be different by default as it's still to this day unique piece of art.
Few can foresee whither their road will lead them, till they come to its end

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Few can foresee whither their road will lead them, till they come to its end.
Thankfully books will still be there to rectify if the wrong road was taken.

Great timing with that quote, btw. Personal matters speaking.

)_(

The Harfoots and what they are planning to do with them in the series is probably my biggest concern really.
Yea, they seem to be a bit out of place to me but I guess there's the dwarves that are kinda a bridge between the very human looking to more fantasy looking races. I have no clue what to expect from the story in general but even more so with the harfoots. Though it has become a bit more clear with this teaser, I'm assuming since this is called a teaser that there'll also be a more story focused trailer.

8 episodes in season 1. Ep1 and 2 are feature length and will combine to 3 hours. It's going to be like 9-10 hours long, which will be more or less the same length as Jacksons extended editions. They signed a contract for 5 seasons, 50 hours worth of content. It does seem like a lot of characters initially, i'm very happy that they're throwing us in the deep end with everything though and the races are distinctive enough that I don't think it will be too confusing.

The Harfoots and Meteor Man seem to be a sub plot for Season 1. Who the Meteor Man is will be the big question as that will probably dictate whether it works or not. I like the concept that they're a roaming race and my impression on the trailer is they don't like people seeing them. Which makes them more of a folk lore to the common man I guess. That's the big mystery for me because Meteor Man could be several people and they're keeping very quiet on who he is.
Yea I don't think it'll be too confusing really but I'm more worried that it's going to be too much a separate thing. With GoT you also had separate storylines but there was still some underlying things tying it together, I don't really know what to expect with this one. I think someone else in here also said they're looking a little disney, more so than the hobbits in lotr, not sure if they vibe with the rest of the story. I guess we'll have to see. I am excited to watch either way and will definitely be tuning in. I'm just happy to see different kinds of fantasy shows being put on and I hope they'll all be successful because that just means more seasons and more shows.

Norman Brownbutter

Probably should take that up to Tolkien and tell him if the Elves are thousands of years old they should all act like grand parents.
Once again, I don’t know why you bothered to post as youve once again not addressed what I said. Inexperienced or a grand parent, those are the only options for her character?? Bizarre.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Any chance we see Melkor, Ancalagon and Ungoliant or is this show the wrong era for that?

arthurka

Absolutely pumped for this, looks brilliant. Let's hope it's not like the Disney shows badly written with lukewarm production and effects.

InfiniteBoredom

The whole point is Elves don’t experience time the way humans do, since they have so much of it. Centuries can pass with them doing nothing but singing, walking around and banging.

Norman Brownbutter

The whole point is Elves don’t experience time the way humans do, since they have so much of it. Centuries can pass with them doing nothing but singing, walking around and banging.
Which is still experience. And since we know thats not what she was doing, thats kind of a nothing point. There are no amount of mental gymnastics that are going to convince me that a being with 3000ish years under their belt, who has ruled over lands and people and taken part in rebellion is a muppet with no life experience.

Amarsdd

Once again, I don’t know why you bothered to post as youve once again not addressed what I said. Inexperienced or a grand parent, those are the only options for her character?? Bizarre.
Which is still experience. And since we know thats not what she was doing, thats kind of a nothing point. There are no amount of mental gymnastics that are going to convince me that a being with 3000ish years under their belt, who has ruled over lands and people and taken part in rebellion is a muppet with no life experience.
Ok, so your initial issue was with "young and inexperienced". I've already pointed out why young makes sense. Now, for the "inexperienced". It seems you're trying to take the word "inexperience" without any sorta context and taking to mean it was implied as Galadriel had not done anything and knows nothing at that point. You have to take context in mind, in this case being her ambition and also her older self (the third age Galadriel).

In terms of the first context, Galadriel had desires and ambitions of having and taking care of her own realm and people in the Middle Earth. After coming to the middle earth in the First age, she mostly lived a sheltered life in Doriath with her brother and then in Eriador with Celeborn. She did gain wisdom esp from Melian and was headstrong and persuasive in parting with her wisdom, but she played no major role in the events of the First age and also got little to no experience in leading (maybe some in the flight from Valinor before the First age) or ruling. So, from the context of her ambitions, she was inexperienced at the start of the Second age.

In terms of the second context, in the quote you yourself quoted "young inexperienced Galadriel". Obviously, that was meant in relation to the Galadriel most would know i.e. the Third age age Galadriel. In comparison to the Third age Galadriel, the Galadriel in the beginning of the second age is inexperienced. In the Second age, she becomes a mother, a ringbearer and a leader of her own realm Lothlorien, let alone all the other stuff she does. That's a lot of experience she is still yet to have.

Saying all that, I don't know how this series will turn out to be. I'll give it a chance and I am cautiously optimistic. But saying "This "She's a younger more inexperienced Galadriel" and "don't expect the same Galadriel" shit just smacks of "for a modern audience" nonsense" is in itself nonsense.

Last edited:

Norman Brownbutter

Ok, so your initial issue was with "young and inexperienced". I've already pointed out why young makes sense. Now, for the "inexperienced". It seems you're trying to take the word "inexperience" without any sorta context and taking to mean it was implied as Galadriel had not done anything and knows nothing at that point. You have to take context in mind, in this case being her ambition and also her older self (the third age Galadriel).

In terms of the first context, Galadriel had desires and ambitions of having and taking care of her own realm and people in the Middle Earth. After coming to the middle earth in the First age, she mostly lived a sheltered life in Doriath with her brother and then in Eriador with Celeborn. She did gain wisdom esp from Melian and was headstrong and persuasive in parting with her wisdom, but she played no major role in the events of the First age and also got little to no experience in leading (maybe some in the flight from Valinor before the First age) or ruling. So, from the context of her ambitions, she was inexperienced at the start of the Second age.

In terms of the second context, in the quote you yourself quoted "young inexperienced Galadriel". Obviously, that was meant in relation to the Galadriel most would know i.e. the Third age age Galadriel. In comparison to the Third age Galadriel, the Galadriel in the beginning of the second age is inexperienced. In the Second age, she becomes a mother, a ringbearer and a leader of her own realm Lothlorien, let alone all the other stuff she does. That's a lot of experience she is still yet to have.

Saying all that, I don't know how this series will turn out to be. I'll give it a chance and I am cautiously optimistic. But saying "This "She's a younger more inexperienced Galadriel" and "don't expect the same Galadriel" shit just smacks of "for a modern audience" nonsense" is in itself nonsense.
Yet again, another pointless post. G has already by this point ruled over lands and people. I guess, keep throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
They could have avoided all these arguments by just saying 'relatively inexperienced'.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They could have avoided all these arguments by just saying 'relatively inexperienced'.
Or just wait for the actual portrayal of the character in the show before throwing the toys out of the pram. Impossible for some, trash talking is their life objective.

I've not read the inexperienced interview either, give us a link Norman.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
The teaser has me hyped up, but I'll learn from Wot and OWK and not have insane expectations. It's okay if they butcher characters I like, as long as it looks cool.

Simbo

The teaser has me hyped up, but I'll learn from Wot and OWK and not have insane expectations. It's okay if they butcher characters I like, as long as it looks cool.
You could pretty much tell from the WoT trailers/marketing that it would be a bit gash, whereas the production around this has a much more premium feel to it, so I'm expecting the writing/casting etc to follow suit.

It should be decent, people hoping for it to be the best thing ever should probably chill a bit though.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Any chance we see Melkor, Ancalagon and Ungoliant or is this show the wrong era for that?
I'm reading the Silmarillion as we speak, and from seeing all these snippets, especially the one from yesterday, i have a strong feeling we will. At the very least Melkor I reckon will be. Ungoliant I'm not so sure, but did we see a winged dragon in one of the clips? Could that have been Ancalagon?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm reading the Silmarillion as we speak, and from seeing all these snippets, especially the one from yesterday, i have a strong feeling we will. At the very least Melkor I reckon will be. Ungoliant I'm not so sure, but did we see a winged dragon in one of the clips? Could that have been Ancalagon?
I thought so too, the Dragon looked enormous. I always found the Silmarillion a fascinating read.