Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Do we need that? There was quite a lot of GoT.

Well the Silmarillon wasn't a funny bunny story, so if they want to make a proper LotR series then yes, I would hope for a darker tone. This looks like Narnia.

Do we need that? There was quite a lot of GoT.

It looks dark in tone to me. I don't understand what people were expecting? The voice over choice may have been an error though, it doesn't land right with the rest of the content in the trailer to me.

Anyone got any idea what the final battle is meant to be?

Well the Silmarillon wasn't a funny bunny story, so if they want to make a proper LotR series then yes, I would hope for a darker tone. This looks like Narnia.

It really doesn't though. It doesn't even look like the WoT teaser despite it having similar music. Enlighten me, how does it look like Narnia?

Here's the teaser trailer for Narnia.

It really doesn't though. It doesn't even look like the WoT teaser despite it having similar music. Enlighten me, how does it look like Narnia?

Here's the teaser trailer for Narnia.

From 1:40 on this looks exactly the same. CGI overload, some teenagers fighting in a bright little fantasy world. Hope I'm wrong but this doesn't fill me with confidence.

I honestly can’t understand this mindset. I love LOTR, I love LOTR video games, I love the world and the fantastical elements. I want more and more LOTR content not less of it. I want this series to be brilliant, why wouldn’t you want that?
Cause it'll probably just get worse from now on with no original material to draw from, the source material was never supposed to be a comic book like franchise that just keeps going on and on so sometimes it's just better to leave something on a high note rather than sully it by going on too long.

Anyway it's amazon so obviously a cash grab but neither i or anyone can tell you to like it or not so hopefully you enjoy it.

Ita like watching a car crash in slow motion. You know it's going to end bad and there's nothing you can do.

I honestly can’t understand this mindset. I love LOTR, I love LOTR video games, I love the world and the fantastical elements. I want more and more LOTR content not less of it. I want this series to be brilliant, why wouldn’t you want that?
Exactly, it's weird the negativity that's smashing around on the basis of one trailer. This could, and really should be epic. Amazon have spent sh*tloads of cash on it and it's exciting to see what they do with the material.

From 1:40 on this looks exactly the same. CGI overload, some teenagers fighting in a bright little fantasy world. Hope I'm wrong but this doesn't fill me with confidence.

Huh? Barely any of this teaser is bright, if anything it's too dark. The only CGI heavy part was the troll which I guess they wanted to add some fantasy creature in the trailer. I mean the 2nd Age is all about magic and high fantasy so no shit it's going to require CGI. That was a given when they selected the 2nd Age.

Morfydd Clark (Galadriel) was born in 1990.
Robert Aramayo (Elrond) was born in 1992.
Ismael Cruz Cordova (Arondir) was born in 1987.

No idea who the hobbit girl is but i'll be staggered if she's nothing else but a minor role, I don't think she's listed in IMDB cast list. The three main character from what I can see are all in their 30's, looking through the cast list they're all in their 30's +. So it's a far older cast than GoT, Wheel of Time etc. The Narnia comparison is utterly wrong.

Kinda dumb, lord of the rings never was and never will be a comic book like story where you can stretch it as much as you like with new writers and such, the greatest story of its world has already been portrayed on the big screen and beautifully so.( silmarillion is arguably greater in scope but it's nearly impossible to make a decent movie out of as half of it is formless and abstract spirits talking to each other and it lacks the lotr human element)

I hope this crashes and burns so we don't get anymore cash grabs from this franchise but I'll doubt it.
Such a stupid and incredibly selfish take tbh. And btw all big studio movies and series’s are cash grabs, so you might wanna just stop watching any sorta entertainment on your tv or cinema.

Exactly, it's weird the negativity that's smashing around on the basis of one trailer. This could, and really should be epic. Amazon have spent sh*tloads of cash on it and it's exciting to see what they do with the material.
Negativity has been there ever since the announcement. Some are legit concerns but mostly just about being “woke” and what not hate hidden behind “not abiding to Tolkien’s words”

Such a stupid and incredibly selfish take tbh. And btw all big studio movies and series’s are cash grabs, so you might wanna just stop watching any sorta entertainment on your tv or cinema.

Does he even know that it's not a film? The first season from what I can tell will probably have a run time between 7.5 and 9 hours. We know episode 1 and 2 combined is 3 hours, but I don't think its been announced if the other episodes are 45mins or 1 hour long.

I think people get off on negativity at this point. Doesn't matter what it is, people will always find something to be negative about. I'm not sure some people even want to enjoy things at this point. And it's even funnier when it's about this completely contextless trailer.

There's things in there that I like the look of and some that I don't like the look of but overall it's waaaaaay too early to say anything substantial especially about these images that are completely without context and likely to be unfinished. At the end of the day, the only thing I'll care about is whether I'm entertained or not. I don't care if someone's wearing a symbol of this or that or how dare the hobbits show up during this age!!! Do I enjoy watching it, yes or no? That's all that really matters in the end and it's much too early to say anything about that on the basis of this teaser trailer. My one big complaint is that the wait for the show between the teaser and air time is too long.

Huh? Barely any of this teaser is bright, if anything it's too dark. The only CGI heavy part was the troll which I guess they wanted to add some fantasy creature in the trailer. I mean the 2nd Age is all about magic and high fantasy so no shit it's going to require CGI. That was a given when they selected the 2nd Age.

Morfydd Clark (Galadriel) was born in 1990.
Robert Aramayo (Elrond) was born in 1992.
Ismael Cruz Cordova (Arondir) was born in 1987.

No idea who the hobbit girl is but i'll be staggered if she's nothing else but a minor role, I don't think she's listed in IMDB cast list. The three main character from what I can see are all in their 30's, looking through the cast list they're all in their 30's +. So it's a far older cast than GoT, Wheel of Time etc. The Narnia comparison is utterly wrong.

Well Del Toro would disagree. His characters are mostly made of practicals and prostethics which is still way better to look at than complete CGI characters.

And I don't see any dark tone in there, I'm sorry. But I guess that's a matter of opinion. For me this trailer hampered my excitement a bit, but as others have mentioned it's way too early to tell yet.

Had no expectations anyway. Regardless of all the issues about today's television production, I believe it is impossible to produce an authentic story from the Second Age. Elves and dwarves are just weird in Tolkien's lore, it works for the main trilogy because they're fringe characters and hobbits and humans work as much better screenplay characters (apart from the fact that the Lord of the Rings material is also much more film-adaptable than the Silmarillion and other writings from Tolkien). But here? A series adaptation in which the elves interact Tolkien-authentically would be boring as feck, the alternative that we'll probably now get will be cringey generic stuff.

I'm getting pretty close to that stage to be honest.

Last edited:
Does he even know that it's not a film? The first season from what I can tell will probably have a run time between 7.5 and 9 hours. We know episode 1 and 2 combined is 3 hours, but I don't think its been announced if the other episodes are 45mins or 1 hour long.
Which part of my original post suggested that I think its a movie?

Negativity has been there ever since the announcement. Some are legit concerns but mostly just about being “woke” and what not hate hidden behind “not abiding to Tolkien’s words”

i’m very worried with the news there will be a gandalf the rainbow and a wheelchairolas to cater for the gays and disableds.

Which part of my original post suggested that I think its a movie?

See below.

Kinda dumb, lord of the rings never was and never will be a comic book like story where you can stretch it as much as you like with new writers and such, the greatest story of its world has already been portrayed on the big screen and beautifully so.( silmarillion is arguably greater in scope but it's nearly impossible to make a decent movie out of as half of it is formless and abstract spirits talking to each other and it lacks the lotr human element)

I hope this crashes and burns so we don't get anymore cash grabs from this franchise but I'll doubt it.

Had no expectations anyway. Regardless of all the issues about today's television production, I believe it is impossible to produce an authentic story from the Second Age. Elves and dwarves are just weird in Tolkien's lore, it works for the main trilogy because they're fringe characters and hobbits and humans work as much better screenplay characters (apart from the fact that the Lord of the Rings material is also much more film-adaptable than the Silmarillion and other writings from Tolkien). But here? A series adaptation in which the elves interact Tolkien-authentically would be boring as feck, the alternative that we'll probably now get will be cringey generic stuff.
Yes pretty much this. I'd even say they added as much flavour as possible to the elves in the LOTR film adaptions. Imagine basing an entire series on the stilted, whimsical remarks of Legolas and Elrond etc.

Well Del Toro would disagree. His characters are mostly made of practicals and prostethics which is still way better to look at than complete CGI characters.

He still uses a lot of CGI, like the giants for example in Hellboy. When he can use practicals he does, for smaller human shaped characters. But we haven't seen any evidence yet that this show uses CGI on these type of characters. In fact the only CGI creature other than the large cave/mountain troll that we see are the Orcs at the very end which were prostethics. If we get CGI Orc characters like we did in The Hobbit then i'm right on board standing next to you throwing shit at Amazon.

Trailer was meh, still have a degree of hype for the show. Yes concerns, the further we get from their WOT adaptation the more diabolical it seems to me, but hopefully Amazon had the talented people working on LOTR, they better have with this budget, or we will be looking at a legendary failure.

He still uses a lot of CGI, like the giants for example in Hellboy. When he can use practicals he does, for smaller human shaped characters. But we haven't seen any evidence yet that this show uses CGI on these type of characters. In fact the only CGI creature other than the large cave/mountain troll that we see are the Orcs at the very end which were prostethics. If we get CGI Orc characters like we did in The Hobbit then i'm right on board standing next to you throwing shit at Amazon.

I'll have my poop ready mate

Cause it'll probably just get worse from now on with no original material to draw from, the source material was never supposed to be a comic book like franchise that just keeps going on and on so sometimes it's just better to leave something on a high note rather than sully it by going on too long.

Anyway it's amazon so obviously a cash grab but neither i or anyone can tell you to like it or not so hopefully you enjoy it.
There is huge amounts of original material to draw from. Doesn't mean they won't feck it and I agree with your general point of never ending franchises milking the fanbase (hello Disney you cnuts) but there's plenty of space and content for more Middle Earth. Although, I won't deny, any attempt to ape Tolkien dialogue is unlikely to end well.

I don't have much faith in Amazon for this to be honest. I didn't like what they did with the Wheel of Time and I'm afraid this will be more of the same.

I'm going to just pretend this doesn't exist. I'll always have the beautiful movies.

There is huge amounts of original material to draw from. Doesn't mean they won't feck it and I agree with your general point of never ending franchises milking the fanbase (hello Disney you cnuts) but there's plenty of space and content for more Middle Earth. Although, I won't deny, any attempt to ape Tolkien dialogue is unlikely to end well.
Honestly one of my bigger grips is that it simply isn't ripe for Franchise making in the sense of going beyond the source material as it just reads like an ancient epic or religious text (imagine trying to make a followup to Bible). For example something like dune is a lot more franchiseable if you get what I'm trying to convey.

Trailer looked pretty rubbish to me. Too polished, generic, it came across as any old YA franchise rather than Tolkeinesque.

Obviously hope I'm completely wrong, but I reckon it's gonna be well naff.

Trailer looked pretty rubbish to me. Too polished, generic, it came across as any old YA franchise rather than Tolkeinesque.

Obviously hope I'm completely wrong, but I reckon it's gonna be well naff.
Agreed, the sheer attention to detail applied to every little thing and the lived-in feel of the world is what made the LOTR movies so special. This looks more like the Hobbit movies which also suffered from the problems you mentioned. Too much CGI, too clean and the cinematography looks weak.

Honestly one of my bigger grips is that it simply isn't ripe for Franchise making in the sense of going beyond the source material as it just reads like an ancient epic or religious text (imagine trying to make a followup to Bible). For example something like dune is a lot more franchiseable if you get what I'm trying to convey.
I think I do, but personally I don't find the literature, variations on the same stories collated and edited with vast quantities of forensic academic musings that they are, sacred or uniquely unadaptable. If they screw it up, and the odds are against them, I'll shrug and enjoy the often incredibly dry posthumously published books with all the glee I always have.

Agreed, the sheer attention to detail applied to every little thing and the lived-in feel of the world is what made the LOTR movies so special. This looks more like the Hobbit movies which also suffered from the problems you mentioned. Too much CGI, too clean and the cinematography looks weak.
I have no idea how you can judge this from a minute long trailer.

The amount of crying about a trailer is off the charts here.

Give it a proper chance when it's ready ffs. Hate afterwards if you want.

I think I do, but personally I don't find the literature, variations on the same stories collated and edited with vast quantities of forensic academic musings that they are, sacred or uniquely unadaptable. If they screw it up, and the odds are against them, I'll shrug and enjoy the often incredibly dry posthumously published books with all the glee I always have.
Well I agree.

The anime on helms deep will probably be better

By judging the minute long trailer, of course. That's what trailers are there for.
The minute long trailer that provided insufficient information to judge whether the series lacks attention to detail, nor gave any meaningful insight into the cinematography or general level nor quality of CGI usage you mean?

The minute long trailer that provided insufficient information to judge whether the series lacks attention to detail, nor gave any meaningful insight into the cinematography or general level nor quality of CGI usage you mean?

Not at all, I saw all those things (a minutes worth of them, at least). That's not to doom the series of course, the rest of it could be amazing. But on the evidence of that one minute I think it looks shite, that's all. Wheres the issue?

Not at all, I saw all those things (a minutes worth of them, at least). That's not to doom the series of course, the rest of it could be amazing. But on the evidence of that one minute I think it looks shite, that's all. Wheres the issue?
Because the reasons you cite cannot be evidenced on the content of the trailer.

You certainly can't judge attention to detail or depth of that detail on a one minute trailer of broadly meaningless disconnected action scenes released 9 months before the series airs.

I'd be wary about judging the quality of the CGI in a trailer created to hit the Super Bowl half time prime real estate this far from broadcast.

Nor can you judge the prevalence of that CGI. The LOTR trilogy is full of CGI but it is, generally (although certainly not always) well balanced with practical effects. You cannot tell from that trailer how prevalent CGI is although you can see prosthetic orcs (and the previous teaser in which they actually filmed molten metal setting in a purpose built frame).