The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Francine

Times like these in which I'm glad I'm not in a position of power in the government or whatever.

Where the feck do you start when it's all over?

I have an insanely dumb question but I'm just too curious not to ask it so here goes.

The population of alligators in Florida is roughly 1.25m.. what happens to them? Will they be like swept inland or something? Will they have a part to play in all this?

Good luck to all of the humans too of course.

There was apparently not enough time to take down cranes. Obviously a massive hazard if one of them goes down.

Yeah I saw a video clip earlier of cranes in Miami just rotating about like they were feathers. Very dangerous!

I have an insanely dumb question but I'm just too curious not to ask it so here goes.

The population of alligators in Florida is roughly 1.25m.. what happens to them? Will they be like swept inland or something? Will they have a part to play in all this?

They are not immune to the effects and yes there will be pictures of people finding gators in flooded areas (but people already find them in pools, in their yard,etc) but it will not likely be a huge danger to most people in the aftermath.

They are already inland in places like the everglades. I used to live in the western part of Broward County (same county as Fort Lauderdale) and it wasn't uncommon to see gators on golf courses and in backyards. This is why most people have screened back yards/pools like below.

jacksonville-pool-enclosures-717x300.jpg

Wasn't there a good chance of it hitting Miami for like a week now though?

Considering there are hundreds of cranes in the area it generally takes a week or two to deconstruct all of them and they are not going to proceed with that sort of massive operation unless there is a high probability the storm will make a dead hit on Florida, which is very difficult to say a week or so out. It could hit FL, or it could go through Cuba and back into the gulf towards Texas or the like.

Considering there are hundreds of cranes in the area it generally takes a week or two to deconstruct all of them and they are not going to proceed with that sort of massive operation unless there is a high probability the storm will make a dead hit on Florida, which is very difficult to say a week or so out. It could hit FL, or it could go through Cuba and back into the gulf towards Texas or the like.

I get why they wouldn't want to have the cost/inconvenience, but when you're talking about a hundreds of foot tall object potentially being flung across the city, you'd think they'd go with better safe than sorry.

I get why they wouldn't want to have the cost/inconvenience, but when you're talking about a hundreds of foot tall object potentially being flung across the city, you'd think they'd go with better safe than sorry.
If the cranes are being "flung across the city" chances are really good that the city is already fecked by the winds and the cranes won't matter.

Thing I don't know is how often do these things collapse from hurricanes vs how often they are fine?

Don't know about alligators, but wikipedia says the following:
Depending on how fast the winds from a waterspout are whipping, anything that is within about one yard of the surface of the water, including fish of different sizes, frogs, and even turtles, can be lifted into the air.[29] A waterspout can sometimes suck small animals such as fish out of the water and all the way up into the cloud. Even if the waterspout stops spinning, the fish in the cloud can be carried over land, buffeted up and down and around with the cloud’s winds until its currents no longer keep the flying fish in the atmosphere. Depending on how far they travel and how high they are taken into the atmosphere, the fish are sometimes dead by the time they rain down. People as far as 100 miles (160 km) inland have experienced raining fish.[29] Fish can also be sucked up from rivers, but raining fish is not a common weather phenomenon.

Last edited:
Certainly a lot of drama queens on CNN.And how can you be taken seriously if you are telling people to stay in doors when you are outside standing in a storm

They are extremely heavy and have great big holes in them for the wind to pass through. One crane failed, no need to panic

Don't know about alligators, but wikipedia says the following: Depending on how far they travel and how high they are taken into the atmosphere, the fish are sometimes dead by the time they rain down. People as far as 100 miles (160 km) inland have experienced raining fish.[29] Fish can also be sucked up from rivers, but raining fish is not a common weather phenomenon.

I was going to ask the same thing. So presumably that means it will be raining alligators from the sky somewhere in Florida later today! Would be an amazing photograph if anyone was able to catch it.

I presume many 1000s of alligators will get displaced from their natural habitat causing many problems in the next few days.

I was going to ask the same thing. So presumably that means it will be raining alligators from the sky somewhere in Florida later today! Would be an amazing photograph if anyone was able to catch it.

I presume many 1000s of alligators will get displaced from their natural habitat causing many problems in the next few days.
Lol

'Raining fish is not a common weather phenomenon'

'So presumably it'll be raining alligators!'

So all this water receding. Does anyone know if there is any danger of it rising very suddenly? Am thinking there will loads of people trying to get selfies and live streaming it.

Why? Just why? Yachtsmen especially weekend sailors are among the biggest bunch of moronic twats ever. Lifeboats and their crews spend the majority of their time rescuing these idiots because of their own stupidity and ignorance. To be fair, that sea isn't that rough, but there was a hurricane forecast so what the feck were they thinking being out there in that plastic piece of shite?

Why? Just why? Yachtsmen especially weekend sailors are among the biggest bunch of moronic twats ever. Lifeboats and their crews spend the majority of their time rescuing these idiots because of their own stupidity and ignorance. To be fair, that sea isn't that rough, but there was a hurricane forecast so what the feck were they thinking being out there in that plastic piece of shite?

They'll be cycling back home now.

They missed a trick not calling this one Ivanka. So many missed opportunities for great headlines.

"Ivanka blows her way through the Caribbean"

"Ivanka contradicts Trump's climate change denial"

"Ivanka confuses experts with direction change"

"Ivanka dumps her load all over Florida"

Meh!

In all seriousness though, I don't know if Ivanka has ever been used as a hurricane name before? They never use the same name twice if it's a big and destructive storm and retire the name after the storm has expired.

Nope, it hasn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_retired_Atlantic_hurricane_names

Hilarious, mate. Here, have ten internet points. :rolleyes: