The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Francine

Sadly, I think Sky might be right. Live streaming and hits appear to matter a lot for these idiots. Already saw another couple of videos on my FB feed showing people getting knocked out by the wind. :(
Giant 50ft wave leaves woman bloody as she tries to take photographs of Storm Imogen
A COUPLE taking pictures of massive waves caused by Storm Imogen's 100mph gales were left battered and bruised after being swept away by a 50ft wave.

Storm-Imogen-642498.jpg
http://www.express.co.uk/news/weath...ve-crashes-bloodied-woman-Storm-Imogen-photos

I remember it happening here too.

@Fully Fledged Sadly there will be many more such instances. I guess that is the world we live in now.

Meanwhile, this was apparently taken live a few minutes back by a reporter for the Miami Herald in the Key West. Source: Guardian live update thread.

Jeremy McLellan (comedian)

"If we want America to take hurricanes seriously we need to give them Muslim names. No one is going to leave for Irma. But if the weatherman says Abdullah is coming and he's a category 5 the entire country would evacuate."

:lol:

@Fully Fledged Sadly there will be many more such instances. I guess that is the world we live in now.

Meanwhile, this was apparently taken live a few minutes back by a reporter for the Miami Herald in the Key West. Source: Guardian live update thread.

Not sure if these are his own kids or others that he is referencing in his tweet, but its a joke that people are so selfish that they wont even evacuate their kids.

What!! :mad:

I refuse to believe it.
People fleeing Hurricane Irma’s wrath left dogs on chains, while others surrendered their pets at shelters, said Dianne Sauve, director of Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control.

Animal control officers found 49 abandoned dogs in the western Palm Beach County cities of Belle Glade, Pahokee and South Bay. Some of the dogs were tethered, while others were left in pens and fenced-in yards.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/fl-pn-lost-animals-20170909-story.html

Not sure if these are his own kids or others that he is referencing in his tweet, but its a joke that people are so selfish that they wont even evacuate their kids.

They knew this was coming for 5-6 days, and they didn't even evacuate their kids? Mental to stay there as a healthy & strong adult... let alone a child. Hoping he is talking about 'college kids'. With all the prisons to fill and mandatory sentencing everywhere there should be prison terms for people who don't evacuate kids in their custody out of 'mandatory evacuation zones'.

So Jennifer Lawrence has blamed the storm on Donald Trump.

She reckons that Mother Nature is pissed at him for saying that climate change is not man made...
Quotes? I tried searching for it yesterday when I first read about it.. and it was a story on Fox and they didnt have the quotes.

They knew this was coming for 5-6 days, and they didn't even evacuate their kids? Mental to stay there as a healthy & strong adult... let alone a child. Hoping he is talking about 'college kids'. With all the prisons to fill and mandatory sentencing everywhere there should be prison terms for people who don't evacuate kids in their custody out of 'mandatory evacuation zones'.
On that note, it's worth mentioning one segment of the population surely to experience some of the worst of this are those that make up the huge prison/jail populations.

I was thinking earlier about these reporters and how they and others involved in bringing us the news in these extreme conditions should be applauded but I have no words for this. Keep in mind these are people who very well know the risks involved and still are not taking the right measures to ensure the safety of their family.

Sadly people have been reckless and we've already got 3 confirmed deaths in Florida.

Quotes? I tried searching for it yesterday when I first read about it.. and it was a story on Fox and they didnt have the quotes.

Whatever her motivation, it was a very stupid thing to say at a time when millions of innocent people's lives and homes are at risk.

Whatever her motivarion, it was a very stupid thing to say at s time when millions of innocent people's lives and homes are at risk.

Aye, the rightwingers need a 'safe space' for the duration of this storm.

Bollocks.

Nothing wrong in what she said. Obviously that won't keep fox news or their audience from creating their own version of reality and being mad at her.
She blames climate changes for the increase of Hurricanes. We can't have this we'll say she saying that Mother Natures is punishing the US for electing Trump. That makes her sound totally crazy.

Jeremy McLellan (comedian)

"If we want America to take hurricanes seriously we need to give them Muslim names. No one is going to leave for Irma. But if the weatherman says Abdullah is coming and he's a category 5 the entire country would evacuate."

:lol:
Except people did leave for Irma so.....he basically is just repeating a very old joke with a different subgroup as the punchline.

She blames climate changes for the increase of Hurricanes. We can't have this we'll say she saying that Mother Natures is punishing the US for electing Trump. That makes her sound totally crazy.

Except there is no proof that current climate change is causing an increase in the number of hurricanes, there is the argument that it might make them slightly more powerful, but no one has really come out with any conclusive evidence yet that puts it in the 'fact' catagory. She's using poor logic which is akin to climate deniers saying "We've had a mild summer so herp, derp.. climate change clearly doesn't exist" which really adds nothing to the debate. This has been a bad year, but extremes on either end are not a basis on which to determine change.

Aye, the rightwingers need a 'safe space' for the duration of this storm.

Bollocks.

The story was sensationalised, but she does mention the "wrath of Mother Nature" which certainly seems like a massive dig at her countries policy on climate change.

Either way you look at it, now is not the time to be debating this shit. People's lives are on the line and that's what's important, not how upset Mother Nature is!

The story was sensationalised, but she does mention the "wrath of Mother Nature" which certainly seems like a massive dig at her countries policy on climate change.

Either way you look at it, now is not the time to be debating this shit. People's lives are on the line and that's what's important, not how upset Mother Nature is!

People are over-reacting to what she said, Nothing wrong with it. And if she wants to have a dig at the poor climate policies of the US, that was certainly a very low key way to do it.

How come nobody it bitching about the reporter who brought the whole thing up?

She is hardly debating this shit as you call it and why not mention it now? Not the time you say? During recovery ? No? Yes? When the weather is calm?

I know the welfare of people is the prime concern when a disaster strikes, but to tie up animals and leave them to drown/die of injury seems like the height of cruelty.

I beg to differ. While I hope that no one gets hurt or killed in this storm there is zero I can do to help those in need. We (those who believe climate change is real, and a very real threat to humanity in the long term) need to use the attention hurricanes like this generate to advance our thoughts and ideas to those too busy with WWE the rest of the year.

Now is exactly the time to talk about climate change.

Edit: Obviously not to those running or sheltering from the hurricane, but I don't expect them to watch Jennifer Lawrence interviews (or read the caf) at the moment.

Nothing wrong in what she said. Obviously that won't keep fox news or their audience from creating their own version of reality and being mad at her.
Indeed just another case of people looking for things to be mad about without really understanding them at all.

The reporter tied the movie to the feeling , especially in the US, that this is the "end of days." Jennifer spoke to why people might feel this way.

Now let's not forget that it was just a short time ago we had a righties blaming Irma on the gays and it being gods wrath. Jennifer seems very much more well thought out and intelligent.

Last edited:
It's not what she said.

Who cares what she's saying? Who cares about what anyone's saying? None of it matters at the end of the day. As long as everyone stays safe and the necessary actions takes place, nothing else matters. People say stupid shit all the time.

Apparently this guy lives in Houston and survived Harvey but has now traveled to Key Largo to his second home to help out his friends.

I am amazed the 3G/4G connections are still up. I would imagine the cell towers would be the first to topple over.

I beg to differ. While I hope that no one gets hurt or killed in this storm there is zero I can do to help those in need. We (those who believe climate change is real, and a very real threat to humanity in the long term) need to use the attention hurricanes like this generate to advance our thoughts and ideas to those too busy with WWE the rest of the year.

Now is exactly the time to talk about climate change.

Then we will have to agree to differ.

Talking about a hurricane being the result of the wrath of Mother Nature due to a governments stance (or non stance) on climate control was a fecking stupid and insensitive thing to say whatever context it was meant in.

Can you imagine if a 1940's public figure had said that the holocaust was punishment from God for killing Jesus?

Climate change discussions are needed, it is a real issue. But they need to be had in the coming weeks, not now.

Those affected should be respected and not condemned as some bullshit sacrifice to an imaginary omnipotent being.

She said these things? Are you sure?

I read a report yesterday that was sensationalised. I searched for and watched the video earlier (the one I linked) and that shows that she didn't directly blame Trump.

These firing and flame throwing "events" being organized in Facebook are not actual events right? It's more of a verbal "Come on you stupid hurricane, show us what you got!!" rather than people actually lining up in person to do said things. Right? You know, just acting all Billy Big Bollocks on the web rather than going ahead with it?
Does anyone have any updates regarding this?
Yes they are largely started as jokes and the vast majority are just playing along. There will of course be the village idiot or two who thinks it is real.

People always say this during or in the aftermath of natural disasters, mass killings, terrorist incidents etc.

But then, when a period of time has passed and public opinion is engrossed in the latest CNN/Sky News "BREAKING STORY", nothing is ever done or changed to fix the issues.

Life in general seems to be just a series of dramatic soundbites these days. We all sit and watch these terrible events, take care to ensure we are heard saying the right things publicly but heaven forbid anybody actually talk about doing something affirmative in response. No, these are times simply to show the world how sympathetic and empathetic you are - people are dying for gods sake, have some respect! Now is not the time to discuss why these things are happening - we can do that next week so long as some kid hasn't shot up a school, Trump hasn't pissed off some country or Kim Kardashian hasn't made a racist tv commercial.

The only time people actually bring themselves to action is when somebody says something they shouldn't have on twitter and then the almighty pitchforks of indignation come out in force.