The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Francine

Denis Phillips update on ABC Action was a little better than hoped. Just a little. Not coming North quite like expected, if it stays over Tampa could be a 3, even slightly less (very optimistic, I don't think it will reduce that much). Current state has pressure actually raised a little, has not intensified (but he was careful enough to say they might not have sampled the right areas). If it keeps tracking west, 30 miles will make a huge difference to Tampa. But... bad news for someone else.

Iirc, the early European model had it crossing into the Gulf and heading to AL/LA/FL panhandle. The US early model had it tracking north out to sea and heading towards the NC outer banks area.
Reading a while ago it looks like it could strengthen in the warmer Gulf waters.

Iirc, the early European model had it crossing into the Gulf and heading to AL/LA/FL panhandle. The US early model had it tracking north out to sea and heading towards the NC outer banks area.
Reading a while ago it looks like it could strengthen in the warmer Gulf waters.

tbh, the shift to the west is the other tracks playing catchup on the Euro model. UK Met still has it over downtown Tampa, the Euro one has been pretty consistent all day.

Sadly, there will be more such videos(hopefully not). He is damn lucky not to get swept back in.

According to the National Hurricane Centre it's gone back up to a category 4.

It's been on/near Cuba for quite a while now and I haven't seen any videos from there. They were still showing people in the FL home depot, etc. on CNN and the weather channel.

It's been on/near Cuba for quite a while now and I haven't seen any videos from there. They were still showing people in the FL home depot, etc. on CNN and the weather channel.

I don't think it's southern edge has really left the north coast of Cuba yet. So there's probably no electric/comms there at the moment.

Scary how many people underestimate just how strong water can be.

A 5m storm surge will cause havoc. Storm surge is what kills most people in a Hurricane/Cyclone. Especially when there is so much low costal land involved. And dropping to a 4 from a 5 will do little if anything to reduce the surge.

So Jennifer Lawrence has blamed the storm on Donald Trump.

In a general sense she is correct. If we had listened to the science we would have massively moderated emissions over the last 30 years and the average severity of such storms would be lessened. The Northern GBR wouldn't be essentially dead and we wouldn't be on the verge of the next mass extinction event.

Politicians and right wing politician in particular should hand their collective heads in shame over this issue.

The National Hurricane Centre forecast as it stood at 8am UK.
034247_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

And yet still significantly less mental than right-wing fruitcake Ann Coulter saying Hurricane Harvey was more likely to be god punishing Houston for it's lesbian ex-mayor :wenger:

Holy shit! Really?

Anyone is paying attention to the hurricane Jose? I was playing around with these projections here: https://www.ventusky.com/?p=34.1;-74.0;5&l=gust&t=20170919/12 , and if those do materialize east coast north of the Florida may take a battering with it going up to CAT 5 in the near future. Currently, Jose just floats around aimlessly but if it gets dragged in the consequences may well be devastating.

Anyone is paying attention to the hurricane Jose? I was playing around with these projections here: https://www.ventusky.com/?p=34.1;-74.0;5&l=gust&t=20170919/12 , and if those do materialize east coast north of the Florida may take a battering with it going up to CAT 5 in the near future. Currently, Jose just floats around aimlessly but if it gets dragged in the consequences may well be devastating.

Hopefully it'll just waste away North of those islands.

I remember being in a category 2 a few years back when I was on holiday in Florida. Incredible yet frightening sight as it just showed how powerful nature can be.

I'd hate to imagine what the other categories feel like - hope everyone who's already been affected receives the rightful support, and hope the ones who haven't faced the brunt of Irma yet are fully prepared and stay safe.

An American man who started a campaign to shoot guns at Hurricane Irma has found himself at the centre of a social media storm.

22-year old Florida resident Ryon Edwards began his campaign last Saturday, when the hurricane was nascent in the Atlantic Ocean, and it has subsequently grown, with 22,000 people clicking attending and 49,000 declaring an interest.

"A combination of stress and boredom made me start the event," founder Ryon Edwards told the the BBC.

"The response is a complete and total surprise to me. I never envisioned this event becoming some kind of crazy idea larger than myself. It has become something a little out of my control."

d5e380d059b3d9a5cb8b7ddb3a64be0b.png

A few social media users have called into question the sense of firing a bullet at a storm, but some have been speculating on the efficacy of shooting at the eye - where the bullets might come back - as opposed to the rainbands, where they would go straight into the heart of the hurricane.
:wenger::confused:

Hurricanes are bloody massive, aren't they? You don't realise until you see them on a map.

These firing and flame throwing "events" being organized in Facebook are not actual events right? It's more of a verbal "Come on you stupid hurricane, show us what you got!!" rather than people actually lining up in person to do said things. Right? You know, just acting all Billy Big Bollocks on the web rather than going ahead with it?
Does anyone have any updates regarding this?

It always amazes me how naive people are to serious weather events. I lost count of the amount of people doing stupid stuff I saw when I was living in the rockies. Cold weather and rough seas/strong currents in particular people don't seem to take anywhere near seriously enough.

fecking idiots though. For the sake of youtube to risk his life. He could easily get swept into the ocean and game over.

He is fecking stupid FFS!

Lucky guy. I hope he learned his lesson and gets indoors quickly.

Sadly, I think Sky might be right. Live streaming and hits appear to matter a lot for these idiots. Already saw another couple of videos on my FB feed showing people getting knocked out by the wind. :(

It always amazes me how naive people are to serious weather events. I lost count of the amount of people doing stupid stuff I saw when I was living in the rockies. Cold weather and rough seas/strong currents in particular people don't seem to take anywhere near seriously enough.

Likes and retweets > life for these fools.

These firing and flame throwing "events" being organized in Facebook are not actual events right? It's more of a verbal "Come on you stupid hurricane, show us what you got!!" rather than people actually lining up in person to do said things. Right? You know, just acting all Billy Big Bollocks on the web rather than going ahead with it?
Does anyone have any updates regarding this?

The events were satire. But this is Florida, home of Florida Man, so there's bound to be a couple nutters willing to try it out.